Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

What is anise?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 25th, 2008, 08:17 AM
nmcgrawj
Hookah Nut

Default What is anise?

Im a rookie and im doing a bunch of researching and i see anise referred to often with apple/double apple shisha reviews. I've never heard of that and cant find much on google to help

Thanks
Old November 25th, 2008, 08:21 AM
ninemillimeter
Hookah Nut

Default Re: What is anise?

Anise is sweet and very aromatic. It is used to make the following confectioneries: Aniseed balls (Britain), Humbugs (Australia), Aniseed wheels (New Zealand), pizzelle (Italy), pfeffernusse (Germany), springerle (Baveria), and knotts (Norway). Aniseed is also used to make the Mexican drink "atole de anís" or champurrado which is similar to hot chocolate, the Turkish drink Raki (alcoholic beverage),the Greek Ouzo, the Italian Sambuca, the spirit absinthe, the favourite for Arabic Arak, some root beer such as Virgil's Root Beer in the United States and as a digestive after meals in India. It also is used to make the dough, when preparing the famous Peruvian dessert "Picarones." In Colombia, it is also used to add to the national drink aguardiente, in which, depending on the region, more or less anise gives the typical drink its distinctive flavor.

Its what gives black licorice its signature taste
Old November 25th, 2008, 08:23 AM
nmcgrawj
Hookah Nut

Ahhhh so would it be safe to say that if you dontl ike black licorice then you wont like the apple/double apple shisha that have this flavor?
Old November 25th, 2008, 08:33 AM
CPill
Hookah Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to CPill

lol PROBABLY a good assumption

(the double apple, af golden bahrainin apple tastes VERY heavily like black licorice... lol very very strong in my opinion)

on a side note, i always thought that "anise" was a generally accepted way of misspelling "ANUS"... and i just figured that EVERYONE hated the flavor and called it the "ANUS" flavor lmao. see, you learn something every day
Old November 25th, 2008, 08:38 AM
nmcgrawj
Hookah Nut

sweet, i almost ordered the double apple but seeing as i hate black licorice...i'll save myself that trouble.

Thanks guys!
Old November 25th, 2008, 08:43 AM
ninemillimeter
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesown View Post
on a side note, i always thought that "anise" was a generally accepted way of misspelling "ANUS"... and i just figured that EVERYONE hated the flavor and called it the "ANUS" flavor lmao. see, you learn something every day
thats the best thing ive read for a long time. anise=anus ...too true
Old November 25th, 2008, 09:56 AM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Hey, if that's true, than people who are drinking arak are drinking anus juice, I'm not sure John would like to know that.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old November 25th, 2008, 10:10 AM
ninemillimeter
Hookah Nut

nor would sambooka hahaha- that would make HIM anus juice
Old November 25th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Fezzik Send a message via Yahoo to Fezzik

Not necessarily. My wife hates black licorice but loves double apple. I love black licorice and fennel seeds that you get at the Indian restaurants after your meal, but it took me a little while to get past the anise flavor in the double apple. So really the best bet is to get a sample of it or try it at a hookah lounge to see if you like it.
Old November 25th, 2008, 01:05 PM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

AniseAnise or aniseed (Pimpinella anisum) is a vegetable as well as an herb, and comes from the same family, Apiaceae, as fennel, which is also used both as an herb and a vegetable. The vegetable portion of the two are sometimes confused. Dill, caraway, and cumin are also in the same family.

Licorice, the source of licorice extract, has a similar flavor but is a completely separate plant from a different family. However, since aniseed oil is often used to enhance the flavor of licorice candy, distinguishing the flavors can be difficult. Although star aniseaniseanise has a similar name and contains the same distinctive aromatic compound (anethole) as aniseaniseanise, it is from the Illiciaceae family and is not related.

Like the other members of its family, anise is a tall plant with feathery green leaflets. It grows to a height of 1˝ to 4 feet (46 to 122 cm). The flowers are white, and the fruit, which looks like ribbed seeds and is often referred to as seed, is grey-green or greenish-brown when ripe

The stems of the anise plant, which have the same characteristic flavor as the seeds, are eaten as a vegetable. The seeds are characteristically used in cookies such as Italian biscotti and German springerle, in bread, and in sausage. Anise seeds are also used as a seasoning in curry and hoisin, while the oil is used in several liquers including anisette and ouzo, and in the liquor absinthe. The oil of anise is also used in toothpaste, chewing gum, cough syrups, and soap, among other products.
Old November 25th, 2008, 01:17 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Virgil's is my favorite Rootbeer.

Microbrewed sexness.
Old November 25th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I love anise when the spice is used properly in food and drink but like everything else one consumes how good it is depends upon the quality of the spice, how well preserved it is and how it's used.

Anise does NOT taste like real licorice but cheap, crappy candy marketed as licorice is flavoured with anise so most people have no idea what real licorice tastes like.

Double apple moassels uses anise (often far too much) and it's rare to find a tobacco product that has a real licorice flavour. Off hand, i'd say that AF Ark Sous (older batches) and Afzal Black Licorice are the only products I can think of that don't taste like anise.
Old November 25th, 2008, 02:26 PM
TheHookahStore
Vendor

WOW great info on anise. I love licorice and after spending 5 months in Cyprus last year, I guess I really missed out by not trying Ouzo while I was there.

The licorice flavor in double apple isn't that strong. If you aren't sure, I would recommend buying 50g of AF Double apple and try it. It isn't pure anise, it is mostly apple and the addition of anise makes it a great shisha.
Old November 25th, 2008, 05:43 PM
onehourlater
Hookah Nut

is there any apple with absolutely NO Anise taste? are the sour apples a better bet for this? or the spiced eskrainai(SP?).... apple?
Old November 25th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

yeah you never know.. get a small sample.. and see if you even like, you never know untill you try...=P
Old November 25th, 2008, 07:37 PM
onehourlater
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob416 View Post
yeah you never know.. get a small sample.. and see if you even like, you never know untill you try...=P
My friends all smoke Nakhala and Al Fakhar DA I have tried both, and dislike anice/licorice flavor
Old November 25th, 2008, 11:10 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

well im not a fan of black licorice but i like DA, but then again i am italian and grew up with pizzelle and love it (and totally forgot i wont be able to eat it this year since i cant eat wheat, sad face)

-matt
Old November 25th, 2008, 11:12 PM
TheMadnessAxis
Hookah Newbie

lol i thought it was "anus" the whole time 2 x|
Old November 26th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Gift3d
Hookah Nut

It's usually a love-hate with double apple/anise flavors. Personally i don't enjoy eating black licorice but i do enjoy the taste of anise in my hookah smoke. I wouldn't say i LOVE it, but double apple is great to have every so often, i think it's very good. I think it'd be interesting to try a double apple flavor without the anise although i've never looked into it, i think it'd taste something like a candy apple.
Old November 26th, 2008, 12:27 AM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehourlater View Post
is there any apple with absolutely NO Anise taste? are the sour apples a better bet for this? or the spiced eskrainai(SP?).... apple?
AF Apple, AF Golden Eskandrani, Nakhla (regular) Apple.

Old November 26th, 2008, 01:00 AM
QuakeHookah
Hookah Nut

I will try golden esk apple i hear its amazing hope its good
Old November 26th, 2008, 05:10 AM
CPill
Hookah Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to CPill

esk apple is my favvvvv ^_^ i just recently got some in a trade... but i'm saving it for a rainy day... which... seems to be fairly soon!

the store i go to always sells out ((like 40 boxes of 250g in under a week >.<)) so i'm thankful 9mili sent me some in a trade
Old November 26th, 2008, 08:16 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglybiker View Post
AF Apple, AF Golden Eskandrani, Nakhla (regular) Apple.
nakhla has a weird taste in it though, its very nutty, and to me has a touch of anise still

-matt
Old November 26th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcgrawj View Post
Ahhhh so would it be safe to say that if you dontl ike black licorice then you wont like the apple/double apple shisha that have this flavor?
NOT TRUE AT ALL. I dont like black licorice at all Yuck, I didnt like Double apple the first time I tried it either. I gave it another shot after smoking some different flavors a bit and I love it! In a way its an acquired taste, a lot of people will tell you they didnt like it forst time around but now its a favorite.
Old November 26th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehourlater View Post
First, I want to remind everyone that real licorice (not the cheap crap marketed as such) does not taste like anise.

Anyhow, apple products that have no anise taste are: Al Amir Apple, Al Waha Apple, AF Golden Eskandrani, AF Golden Bahraini (if you don't over heat it), Havana Al Rawan, Havana Eskandrani, Havana Bahraini ((if you don't over heat it) and pretty much every tripple apple I can think of.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook