Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Shipping to Canada

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 26th, 2008, 06:50 PM
vcitriniti
Deleted Per User Request

Default Shipping to Canada

I was just wondering if there are any fellow Canadians out there that know any good vendors that are willing to ship into Canada? I have been ordering from Hookah-shisha for the last year and have not had one problem yet. But I just placed an order last night and they called me to let me know that they will no longer mark down the value of the package or the amount of tobacco in the box. I decided to risk it anyways just because of how hard it is to find good shisha tobacco in Toronto. If anyone knows any good vendors that are still willing to help us Canadians out please let me know.
Old November 27th, 2008, 02:21 AM
onehourlater
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Shipping to Canada

hey fellow torontonian! I'm now living in New Brunswick but back home I don't know of any hookah bars/vendors - I live on the US border and have a US postal box Please keep me updated if you find anything good in Toronto as I will likely need to stop by!

Good Luck on the hunt!
Old November 27th, 2008, 11:24 AM
vcitriniti
Deleted Per User Request

[FONT=Verdana]I have not found much. There a bunch of convenience stores here that sell 250g boxes of Nakhla for $20.00 CDN, but the ones that do sell it wonít sell to people that they donít know because they are always scared that revenue Canada is coming in to bust them. I also found a place last night that sells 250g tubs of Al Fakher for $30.00 CDN. Buying online is still the way to go if you are in Canada I just donít see why vendors have such a problem marking down the total value of a package.[/FONT]
Old November 27th, 2008, 12:02 PM
onehourlater
Hookah Nut

I think if its under $30 its fine for major taxes, someone should research and find out the limits of postal customs. I just drive it across the border with mine as you have an allotted limit per trip.
Old November 27th, 2008, 12:22 PM
vcitriniti
Deleted Per User Request

[FONT=Verdana]I have tried to find what the tax would be on shisha tobacco. The problem is there is no category for it, so they just dump it in manufactured tobacco (i.e. pipe tobacco) and tax you what the weight is on the box. There is a big difference between manufactured tobacco and shisha tobacco; I think I was reading that in a 250g box of shisha tobacco only 20% of the weight comes from the tobacco. The laws are still not clear on this and it has only been 4 years that the Canadian government has realised that shisha tobacco is in fact tobacco and not a fruit product that you can still dispute the charges and get some of your money back if you get taxed. [/FONT]
Old November 27th, 2008, 12:24 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcitriniti View Post
[FONT=Verdana]I have tried to find what the tax would be on shisha tobacco. The problem is there is no category for it, so they just dump it in manufactured tobacco (i.e. pipe tobacco) and tax you what the weight is on the box. There is a big difference between manufactured tobacco and shisha tobacco; I think I was reading that in a 250g box of shisha tobacco only 20% of the weight comes from the tobacco. The laws are still not clear on this and it has only been 4 years that the Canadian government has realised that shisha tobacco is in fact tobacco and not a fruit product that you can still dispute the charges and get some of your money back if you get taxed. [/FONT]
the vendor that I mentioned in my PM will take care of you.
Old November 27th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

I believe **********(aka *************) has in the past.

Last edited by Kwikwi; November 27th, 2008 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old November 27th, 2008, 12:46 PM
vcitriniti
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu ronin View Post
the vendor that I mentioned in my PM will take care of you.
I have an order coming in from hookah-shisha so I am going to have to wait and see what happens with that. But I will ask them the next time I need to place an order.
Old November 27th, 2008, 12:58 PM
onehourlater
Hookah Nut

post the results!
Old November 27th, 2008, 01:29 PM
vcitriniti
Deleted Per User Request

Soon as my package comes in I will post what happens.
Old November 27th, 2008, 01:56 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikwi View Post
I believe **********(aka *************) has in the past. Also I think does.
because these packages sometimes " fly under the radar" regarding customs, we should be cautious publicly naming vendors.Not that the "man" is cruising forums looking for trouble, but I was asked by a vendor to keep such discussions private.

Last edited by abu ronin; November 27th, 2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old November 27th, 2008, 02:50 PM
vcitriniti
Deleted Per User Request

I will be sure to leave any names out just in case.
Old November 27th, 2008, 06:10 PM
onehourlater
Hookah Nut

yeah it makes sense to edit/delete posts that name name's
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:07 PM
vcitriniti
Deleted Per User Request

[FONT=Verdana]My order arrived today and it actually got here pretty quick, it was shipped on the 29th from Chicago it cleared customs last night and arrived today at 11am. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Here is the order:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]1x Large Hookah Cleaning Brush Set[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]1x Nammor Hookah Hose[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]1x Box of Exotica Coals[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]2x Box of Coconara Coals (84 pcs)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]6x 250g jar of Starbuzz shisha[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]3x 250g of Tangiers shisha[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]5x 50g box of Romman shisha[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]The total bill was $223.29 after shipping and HP discount.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I was taxed a $153.82 and after taxes and handling fees the total was $182.98.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I spoke with CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency) about this and apparently the laws have been changed in Canada. Shisha now sits in its own category and is no longer taxed by weight. Shisha is now taxed by dollar value. I was taxed on the total value of the package instead on just the value of the tobacco so I can claim that and hopefully get some of my money back. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]This is good and bad for Canadians because as long as a vendor is willing to mark down the dollar value of the tobacco we are fine. But because of the change in the law the tax on shisha tobacco has gone way up, for every $10 on shisha the tax is $30CDN. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]This is the first time in a year that I have been taxed on a order but knowing what I know now I am going to assume it is because up until now all of my packages have been marked down to $6. This is the first order were the vendor was not willing to mark down the package. I guess that means itís just time to find a new vendor.[/FONT]
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:25 PM
speel
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to speel

Damn, you should just grow your own tobacco.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:34 PM
onehourlater
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcitriniti View Post
[FONT=Verdana]My order arrived today and it actually got here pretty quick, it was shipped on the 29th from Chicago it cleared customs last night and arrived today at 11am. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Here is the order:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]1x Large Hookah Cleaning Brush Set[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]1x Nammor Hookah Hose[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]1x Box of Exotica Coals[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]2x Box of Coconara Coals (84 pcs)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]6x 250g jar of Starbuzz shisha[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]3x 250g of Tangiers shisha[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]5x 50g box of Romman shisha[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]The total bill was $223.29 after shipping and HP discount.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]I was taxed a $153.82 and after taxes and handling fees the total was $182.98.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]I spoke with CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency) about this and apparently the laws have been changed in Canada. Shisha now sits in its own category and is no longer taxed by weight. Shisha is now taxed by dollar value. I was taxed on the total value of the package instead on just the value of the tobacco so I can claim that and hopefully get some of my money back. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]This is good and bad for Canadians because as long as a vendor is willing to mark down the dollar value of the tobacco we are fine. But because of the change in the law the tax on shisha tobacco has gone way up, for every $10 on shisha the tax is $30CDN. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]This is the first time in a year that I have been taxed on a order but knowing what I know now I am going to assume it is because up until now all of my packages have been marked down to $6. This is the first order were the vendor was not willing to mark down the package. I guess that means itís just time to find a new vendor.[/FONT]
Looks like i will NEVER ship shisha, EVER!!! $30 for every $10, NO WAY! that is ridiculous - I thought Cigarettes were bad to bring across driving, this is outrageous! I just say I have some open "pipe tobacco" and they don't care when i drive across.

PM me if you ever find a vendor who is willing to mark down

Thanks

Josh
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:43 PM
bLinkZor
Hookah Nut

I think **********.com does ship to Canada, because he shipped to DMC in London.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:46 PM
Ekove
Hookah Nut

damn, I'm in Toronto and I buy from Hookah-Shisha and I noticed they didn't mark my last package down. Though it had a value of 60$, 30$ being tobacco so I got no tax. But damn that's scary....I should start looking for another vendor.

Luckily I'm going back to Kuwait soon to grab some from there. I'm not sure how much I can bring though. The allowed 200g seems too little and I know they won't care if it's slightly higher.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:59 PM
vcitriniti
Deleted Per User Request

[FONT=Verdana]The problem is that no vendor wants to send a package without the original invoice in it. If they would be willing to remove the invoice and mark down the shipping label this would not be a problem at all. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]All shisha tobacco is now labelled "manufactured tobacco containing non-tobacco products (2403100011)." Again this new tax is both good and bad because there is way around it but if a vendor is not willing then the taxes are so outrages that I would consider just not smoking. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]In my case I am not that close to the border itís about 2 hours from me and that only takes me into Buffalo and I cannot find a hookah shop in Buffalo that is close to the border. So my option here is to buy overpriced 250g boxes of Nahkla which I hate or risk the tax. I think I am going to keep searching for a vendor that is willing to help us Canadians out.[/FONT]
Old December 2nd, 2008, 04:34 PM
hookahlife
Vendor

Send a message via ICQ to hookahlife Send a message via AIM to hookahlife

Hi all,

The reason most reputable vendors will not forge customs documentation is that it is illegal and UPS has been known to press charges along with revoking shipping priviledges.

Generally speaking, if you can find a vendor that ships to Canada via Postal Service instead of UPS/FedEx you may have a better chance of avoiding customs duties as USPS packages do not neccessarily go through a formal customs office (there are various reasons for this).

Obviously, there are not guarantees and generally speaking Canada is the toughest country for Tobacco imports so expect to pay duties.

Sorry for the hassle and hope this helps.

Regards,
Mike
Hookah Life
Old December 2nd, 2008, 04:51 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

I believe hookahcompany.com has been shipping to Canada for a few months now. BUT, they ship via FedEx so Idk if that is a bit of a prob or not
Old December 2nd, 2008, 05:49 PM
onehourlater
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookahlife View Post
Hi all,

The reason most reputable vendors will not forge customs documentation is that it is illegal and UPS has been known to press charges along with revoking shipping priviledges.

Generally speaking, if you can find a vendor that ships to Canada via Postal Service instead of UPS/FedEx you may have a better chance of avoiding customs duties as USPS packages do not neccessarily go through a formal customs office (there are various reasons for this).

Obviously, there are not guarantees and generally speaking Canada is the toughest country for Tobacco imports so expect to pay duties.

Sorry for the hassle and hope this helps.

Regards,
Mike
Hookah Life
Yeah, I knew this before, well said before. It just sucks! we should convince Toronto H*mp Company (not that I have ever been there before) to get shisha in stock because it is big enough with smokers, hippies, etc. they would have a crowd interested. so we can order from them online/ get it from a brick and mortar store
Old December 2nd, 2008, 07:26 PM
vcitriniti
Deleted Per User Request

That is true. Best thing to do is find a vendor that ships with USPS there is always a less of a chance that it will be stuck at customs. But I am happy that the law has been changed and that we no longer get taxed per gram of tobacco because that is just crazy. Not that this new law is any better but at least there is a way to get around it.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 07:44 PM
onehourlater
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
damn, I'm in Toronto and I buy from Hookah-Shisha and I noticed they didn't mark my last package down. Though it had a value of 60$, 30$ being tobacco so I got no tax. But damn that's scary....I should start looking for another vendor.

Luckily I'm going back to Kuwait soon to grab some from there. I'm not sure how much I can bring though. The allowed 200g seems too little and I know they won't care if it's slightly higher.
I think $30 and under isn't taxable or something like that.

that would be a good thing to find out so you could ask to have the order show the highest amount possible without being taxed.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 09:20 PM
Ekove
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehourlater View Post
I think $30 and under isn't taxable or something like that.

that would be a good thing to find out so you could ask to have the order show the highest amount possible without being taxed.
It's 20$ and under, 60$ and under for gifts. Supposedly that doesn't apply on Tobacco. And anyway, it all depends on the mood of the customs kids, I've had 200$ packages that didn't get taxed and 25$ ones that got taxed for like 1.50$.

From my experience, it's best to order in winter since they seem to lazy to tax us.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook