Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

cutting a "heart" into a "common chamber"?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 29th, 2008, 11:56 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Default cutting a "heart" into a "common chamber"?

ok so i know people talk about the differences and all but either way the only difference is just that they weld on a plate with holes in it to cover the little area that has the port on it right? couldnt we just cut that part off or at least cut it out more so it was easier to clean? i dont think it would lost structure and if it really is a worry you can just leave some arms to keep the integrity there.

am i totally missing something or is this exactly what can be done?
-matt
Old November 30th, 2008, 12:20 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Default Re: cutting a "heart" into a "common chamber"?

No.

In a common chamber that is plated, the chamber is a big hollow heart, no tubes, no anything, hose ports draw straight from the smoke inside the heart. There is a solid plate covering the chamber so you cannot see inside it, or clean it well. these holes don't lead directly to hose ports or purge valves.

A common chamber that isn't plated is just that.

A traditional chamber does not have a hollow heart in which smoke sits. The smoke is drawn directly from the base, not the heart, through a tube leading DIRECTLY to the hose port. The hose ports DON'T draw from a hollow center heart.
Old November 30th, 2008, 04:27 AM
krampi
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to krampi

I think matt mentioned two different things in the name of the topic and in his post. I think what he asked is, is it possible to cut out the covering part? So normally this covering part has only some holes on it, and u can't clean the chamber normally. But if u cut out this covering, than u will be able to clean the inner part of the chamber, and maybe ur draws will be easier, because there will be not just 3 small holes, but ther will be nothing, as u cut out the covering plate I hope u have understand what i was talking about
Old November 30th, 2008, 10:34 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

ok so maybe i just misunderstood the differences. i thought the only real difference was if it was covered with a plate more not so i guess i was thinking a traditional was the same as a uncovered common chamber. which i guess should function the same though since there is nothing blocking between the base and the hose ports on either
-matt
Old November 30th, 2008, 12:46 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampi View Post
I think matt mentioned two different things in the name of the topic and in his post. I think what he asked is, is it possible to cut out the covering part? So normally this covering part has only some holes on it, and u can't clean the chamber normally. But if u cut out this covering, than u will be able to clean the inner part of the chamber, and maybe ur draws will be easier, because there will be not just 3 small holes, but ther will be nothing, as u cut out the covering plate I hope u have understand what i was talking about
That's what I thought at first, but then i re-read it a couple times. he wanted to know if a Plated Common was the same as a Traditional.
Old November 30th, 2008, 01:43 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
That's what I thought at first, but then i re-read it a couple times. he wanted to know if a Plated Common was the same as a Traditional.
i guess thats what i ended up asking,

so a plated common vs a traditional only real difference is that the traditional has tubes from the plate to the ports, so in theory an unplated common vs traditional will work the same, right?
-matt
Old November 30th, 2008, 03:07 PM
krampi
Hookah Pro

Nope A common chamber hookah has nothing in the chamber, only a big common space. Usually this place is covered with a plate and there are some holes on it. The traditional version has two bigger holes on the down part of the stem, one goes through a tube to the hose port, the other goes to the purge valve.
Old November 30th, 2008, 03:17 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Nope A common chamber hookah has nothing in the chamber, only a big common space. Usually this place is covered with a plate and there are some holes on it. The traditional version has two bigger holes on the down part of the stem, one goes through a tube to the hose port, the other goes to the purge valve.
but so what function pro does a traditional have over a plateless common chamber?
-matt
Old November 30th, 2008, 03:25 PM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

A traditional chamber purges much better, since you're forcing air from one hose to the exit valve, a common chamber doesnt do this as well because you usually just purge the chamber, rather than the whole base, since air flows from the hose into the common chamber, and doesnt force the smoke out of the base.
Old November 30th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
ok so i know people talk about the differences and all but either way the only difference is just that they weld on a plate with holes in it to cover the little area that has the port on it right? couldnt we just cut that part off or at least cut it out more so it was easier to clean? i dont think it would lost structure and if it really is a worry you can just leave some arms to keep the integrity there.

am i totally missing something or is this exactly what can be done?
-matt
After reading this thread a bit of clarification is needed I think.
Basically you have 3 styles of narghiles:

1) Ported. This style has 2 set of piping that directs the smoke from the base into either the hose or the purge outlet. The typical Egyptian and Turkish rigs usually uses this style.
2) Chamberless. This style is an open space in which the smoke is not enclosed in a separate chamber or directed via piping. The typical Chinese rig uses this style.
3) Common chamber. A metal plate separates a a portion of the smoke from the plate which is fed by 2-6 inlet holes but uses not tubing to direct the smoke. Typically used in Syrian and Indian rigs.

I would maintain that the common chamber gives a great draw, higher density and a better smoking experience although that is a matter of preference.

Cleaning a common chamber is not a problem if you invest a few bucks for a decent line brush which i've posted about a few times in the past. A thick paste of baking soda a lemon juice works wonders in cleaning any rig.
Old November 30th, 2008, 05:24 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
After reading this thread a bit of clarification is needed I think.
Basically you have 3 styles of narghiles:

1) Ported. This style has 2 set of piping that directs the smoke from the base into either the hose or the purge outlet. The typical Egyptian and Turkish rigs usually uses this style.
2) Chamberless. This style is an open space in which the smoke is not enclosed in a separate chamber or directed via piping. The typical Chinese rig uses this style.
3) Common chamber. A metal plate separates a a portion of the smoke from the plate which is fed by 2-6 inlet holes but uses not tubing to direct the smoke. Typically used in Syrian and Indian rigs.

I would maintain that the common chamber gives a great draw, higher density and a better smoking experience although that is a matter of preference.

Cleaning a common chamber is not a problem if you invest a few bucks for a decent line brush which i've posted about a few times in the past. A thick paste of baking soda a lemon juice works wonders in cleaning any rig.
ok, that makes sense

so if the plate would be cut off you should be able to get similar results (in theory) to a traditional since it is open to the bottom and the air flow can clear it out

-matt
Old November 30th, 2008, 05:33 PM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
ok, that makes sense

so if the plate would be cut off you should be able to get similar results (in theory) to a traditional since it is open to the bottom and the air flow can clear it out

-matt
Correct, but I donno if Id want to go hacking at my hookah stem with a dremmel.
Old November 30th, 2008, 05:52 PM
krampi
Hookah Pro

It doesn't make anything with the purging if u cut out the plate, because with a common chamber rig when u want to purge, the air from the hose port goes nearly directly to the purge valve. The fact why traditional rigs are better is, that because of the tub which come from the hose port, the air is forced down to the bottom of the base and thats why u can purge with a rig like this better.

But i would be intrested in it too, what happens if u cut out the plate from a common chamber rig, or u simply just add some more holes to it? The purging won't be better, i know, but what about the smoke? But as far as my studies learn it to me as long as the diameters of the holes on the covering plate of the common chamber are the same or more than the diameter of the downstem it won't do anything special if u make more holes on it I hope u got what i want to say
Old November 30th, 2008, 05:57 PM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
It doesn't make anything with the purging if u cut out the plate, because with a common chamber rig when u want to purge, the air from the hose port goes nearly directly to the purge valve. The fact why traditional rigs are better is, that because of the tub which come from the hose port, the air is forced down to the bottom of the base and thats why u can purge with a rig like this better.

But i would be intrested in it too, what happens if u cut out the plate from a common chamber rig, or u simply just add some more holes to it? The purging won't be better, i know, but what about the smoke? But as far as my studies learn it to me as long as the diameters of the holes on the covering plate of the common chamber are the same or more than the diameter of the downstem it won't do anything special if u make more holes on it I hope u got what i want to say

Usually theres 3-4 holes in the plates of most common chambers, you wont get any increased volume from drilling another hole, as the 3-4 holes already match the diameter of the hose.
Old November 30th, 2008, 06:10 PM
krampi
Hookah Pro

Yes, that's the thing what i'm talking about. I have a syrian rig and i was thinking about adding some more holes to my chamber plate, but after thinking about it again know i know that it won't do anything with it. The upgrade what i want to do with my rig now, is to get a wider diameter downstem, because it's not the best at the moment. So i will look up somebody who can help to do something with it
Old November 30th, 2008, 06:36 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

alright ya every thing makes sense and i got the info i was looking for.

im getting an acrylic mya (uber cheap) so i figure if i get any corrosion or gunk build up in the chamber i cant get out im just going to dremil it open to get it cleaner. but i figure with basic cleaning ill be good

thanks
-matt
Old November 30th, 2008, 07:04 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
ok, that makes sense

-matt
No that would make it Common.
Old November 30th, 2008, 07:05 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
alright ya every thing makes sense and i got the info i was looking for.

im getting an acrylic mya (uber cheap) so i figure if i get any corrosion or gunk build up in the chamber i cant get out im just going to dremil it open to get it cleaner. but i figure with basic cleaning ill be good

thanks
-matt
Acrylic isn't plated, just Open. Much easier to clean than Plated.
Old November 30th, 2008, 07:08 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

When purging a plated chamber, the smoke must be pushed out of the heart chamber, then the smoke in the base must get into the heart chamber through the tiny holes in order to be purged. So basically it's impossible to completely purge a Plated Chamber.

Mya Common Chambers, or open heart chambers, purge better because there is no plate blocking the smoke, but not as well as Traditional Chambers.
Old November 30th, 2008, 07:09 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Yes, that's the thing what i'm talking about. I have a syrian rig and i was thinking about adding some more holes to my chamber plate, but after thinking about it again know i know that it won't do anything with it. The upgrade what i want to do with my rig now, is to get a wider diameter downstem, because it's not the best at the moment. So i will look up somebody who can help to do something with it
By creating more holes, the pull will become a bit easier, also depending on the size of the hose port opening hole.
Old November 30th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

dont know much about the whole heart and comman chamber thing but all i gotta say is dotn cut anything on your hookah unless its the down stem and you wanna make it shorter if its too long.
Old December 1st, 2008, 12:35 AM
Beccapoo
Hookah Newbie

WoW! Now I know what's goofy with one of my rigs! thanks for the thread!
Old August 28th, 2009, 11:16 PM
mcmlb55
Hookah Newbie

I just cut off the bottom of my plated common chamber hookah. it was rusted badly on the inside and had to get in there to clean it out. it smokes the same really, if not a little smoother. i am thinking about converting it to a traditional chamber without the plate. from what ive learned its mostly just a purging thing, so idk if i will. purging that well doesnt really bother me.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook