Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

My own little experiment

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 4th, 2007, 05:28 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Default My own little experiment

I remembered a commercial from years ago the other say while enjoying some shisha. When I thought of the commercial I thought about the health reports that compared smoking hookah to smoking cigarettes. The commercial I speak of was for a toothpaste called Topal or Topol I think. It was a toothpaste designed for smokers and it showed a man taking a drag of a cigarette and blowing the smoke into a hankerchief. After doing so he held it up to show that it had a nasty looking yellowish-brown stain on it from the exhaled cigarette smoke. Back when I smoked cigarettes I tried that and sure enough there was the same yellowish-brown stain on a paper towel (yes it was a low rent comparison but it worked! LOL)

So while I was enjoying my session I felt the need to be a little scientific. I picked up a paper towel and taking my usual big hit I blew the smoke through the paper towel. Interestingly enough there was no stain or mark on the towel at all. I took 4 more hits and blew each one into the towel and still no stain. I got bored with this experiment after that and just relaxed and enjoyed.

I'm going to try exhaling through a towel for an entire session and see if it leaves a stain. I wonder about the results so far. Is it tar that caused the yellowish-brown stain on the hankerchief in the commercial (and the paper towel when I recreated it)? If so this experiment has to prove that hookah smoke has no or at least far less tar in it than cigarette smoke.

I'll get back to you on a full session exhalation result, maybe tonight.
Old September 4th, 2007, 11:50 AM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

Default Re: My own little experiment

If its really tar that caused the towel to turn to that color, then i guess you just prooved to all of us that tar is minimal is shisha, although its not the most scientific way to show it. :P
My sister is a biochemist and when i asked her she said water filters 99.9 of the tar, which, to mention, is almost not existent when shisha isn't burning.(shisha is not to be burned but heated as we all know)
Congratz Dunkel
Old September 4th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Yup, Shisha is meant to be steamed.
Old September 4th, 2007, 01:29 PM
DarkD3vil
Hookah Nut

yeah just shove some paper towels or some shit in a tube so you only smoke on one spot and see results if there is any.
Old September 4th, 2007, 05:10 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Yep! You're right, I had tried this expirement as well a long time ago, with the same results as you...and yes that yellowish-brownish stain is caused from the tar content in cigarrette smoke...If anyone is interested in learning or seeing this experiment, check out this link http://youtube.com/watch?v=IQ4n7g31RlE a very good video showing the main difference between hookahs and cigarrettes IMO...
Old September 4th, 2007, 05:43 PM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

Did you remember not to inhale?
Old September 4th, 2007, 05:54 PM
PerznPerversion
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to PerznPerversion

the studies say the smoke from one hookah session is equivalent to the smoke of about 100 cigarettes. its talking about volume not the bad health effects.

Also im going to have to disagree with the "filtering" the water is meant to filter bigger particles and to cool down the smoke. Im pretty sure tangiers would agree to if he was on this forum as well. Basically when u suck the smoke goes through the stem and into the water as air bubbles the water doesn't touch all of the smoke anyways. And in any case, we shouldnt be trying to defend hookah smoking in health regards, we all know its bad but we do it because of the "hookah experience" and a number of other reasons.

Also i dont believe the towel experiment is valid, Maybe if you can prove that the consistency of the tar is the same in cigarettes and hookah. but in any case comparing hookah and cigarettes shouldn't be done, they're completely different.
Old September 4th, 2007, 08:43 PM
HookahETC
Banned

Send a message via AIM to HookahETC

Let us know how that goes, sounds really interesting...

You know this brings me to all those "studies" that use "machines" to replicate a human smoking, and then for the study to show that hookah smoke is lethal or what now
Old September 5th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Well for what it's worth I did as I said I would and blew the smoke from nearly an entire 45 minute session through a paper towel. I attached it to a paper towel roll cut down to be shorter than a t.p. roll and taped all around it so the smoke had nowhere to go but through the paper towel. At the end of the session there was no discoloration at all to the paper towel. Does this mean that smoking a hookah is safe? No. Does it mean that there's no tar at all in hookah smoke? No. Does it mean that smoking a hookah is better for you than smoking cigarettes? Not necessarily, but I feel a little better about it seeing that cigarette smoke leaves a very noticable stain from one drag let alone a whole smoke. I'm no scientist, I did this out of curiousity.
Old September 5th, 2007, 03:24 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkel
Well for what it's worth I did as I said I would and blew the smoke from nearly an entire 45 minute session through a paper towel. I attached it to a paper towel roll cut down to be shorter than a t.p. roll and taped all around it so the smoke had nowhere to go but through the paper towel. At the end of the session there was no discoloration at all to the paper towel. Does this mean that smoking a hookah is safe? No. Does it mean that there's no tar at all in hookah smoke? No. Does it mean that smoking a hookah is better for you than smoking cigarettes? Not necessarily, but I feel a little better about it seeing that cigarette smoke leaves a very noticable stain from one drag let alone a whole smoke. I'm no scientist, I did this out of curiousity.
Well, there is no definitive way yet of being able to tell wether or not hookah smoking is better or worse than cigarrettes. But the simple fact that ONE DRAG out of a cigarrette causing a brown stain on a napkin, and yet when you try the same expirement with a hookah for 45 minutes, it doesn't leave any trace of a stain....I think this says A LOT about how much cleaner hookah smoke is in comparison to cigarrette smoke...remember, that brown stain is what goes into your lungs and turns them black over time (aka TAR!). If a whole hookah session can't even cause the slightest evidence of stain, then that obviously means that you are not turning your lungs black like you would with cigarrettes, or at least not as rapidly...
Old September 5th, 2007, 03:28 PM
boomhauer
Banned

Send a message via AIM to boomhauer Send a message via Yahoo to boomhauer

thats only tar though. if you look at a pack of cigs it says they add the tar, in the hookah tobacco it says 0% tar. now what about all the other chemicals that come out when you smoke out of the hookah. smoking the hookah is not harmless and it will not be known if its any less harmless than smoking until a lot of studys are done
Old September 5th, 2007, 03:42 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhauer
thats only tar though. if you look at a pack of cigs it says they add the tar, in the hookah tobacco it says 0% tar. now what about all the other chemicals that come out when you smoke out of the hookah. smoking the hookah is not harmless and it will not be known if its any less harmless than smoking until a lot of studys are done
True...I agree with you...but you also have to think about the fact that the shisha in a hookah is "steamed" instead of burned like in a cigarrette...most of the toxic chemicals and carcinogens found in cigarrettes become harmful because of the fact that you are burning the tobacco and everything in it(the combustion process)..."steaming" shisha with the coal is more of an evaporation process of its contents more then anything (it runs a lot cooler)...
(damnit!...I had found this really interesting scientific experiment comparing the contents of cigarrete smoke compared to hookah smoke, and I seem to have lost it...I'll try to find it and post it later for more education and discussion).
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook