Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

do you inhale?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 2nd, 2008, 09:02 AM
nmcgrawj
Hookah Nut

Default do you inhale?

I've been trying to practice how to blow O's.....i can produce big clouds but i cant produce thick O's. Only little skinny ones.

I noticed that after i inhale i have to exhale to get past the "thin" smoke to the thick stuff thats in my lungs, and then i have to stop, and try to blow O's.....just too much going on LOL.

So do you actually inhale smoke into your lungs when you guys do "tricks"?

I guess i really dont understand how u can NOT inhale....like how do you keep all the smoke in your mouth?
Old December 2nd, 2008, 09:03 AM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416
Default Re: do you inhale?

yeahh.. im in class right now but later ill pull up a vid for you that i learned how to blow nice O's
Old December 2nd, 2008, 09:10 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Unless you only take a mouthful of smoke you are inhaling.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 10:01 AM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

I inhale nice and deep and then blow big thick smoke rings

It takes some getting used to, and being able to circular breathe doesnt hurt either.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 10:15 AM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Clinton did it, you can too!

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old December 2nd, 2008, 10:20 AM
nmcgrawj
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookahWaffle View Post
I inhale nice and deep and then blow big thick smoke rings

It takes some getting used to, and being able to circular breathe doesnt hurt either.
Circular breathe? Whats that in your nose/out your mouth?

I guess what i need to work on is inhaling at a constant rate cause when i exhale the smoke comes out like this:

. . . . . . .. .... . . ... .................................. . . . .

LOL if that makes sense. Its light and then the huge clouds come so i have to exhale, stop, try to blow O's, and by then my body wants to keep exhaling so its not a "clean" exhale.

I can blow O's with the light clouds in the beginning....but they are light.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 10:47 AM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcgrawj View Post
Circular breathe? Whats that in your nose/out your mouth?

I guess what i need to work on is inhaling at a constant rate cause when i exhale the smoke comes out like this:

. . . . . . .. .... . . ... .................................. . . . .

LOL if that makes sense. Its light and then the huge clouds come so i have to exhale, stop, try to blow O's, and by then my body wants to keep exhaling so its not a "clean" exhale.

I can blow O's with the light clouds in the beginning....but they are light.

Sorry for the crappy clarification in my response.

Circular breathing is a technique musicians who play wind instruments use. Rather than stopping to breathe, you fill your mouth with air, force the air out of your mouth to continue to get sound, and inhale through your nose at the same time, essentially never needing to stop playing.

The basic meaning was that having good control over your ability to smoothly exhale, stop, and start exhaling again without getting that *huff* makes it easier to blow smoke rings.

Just practice exhaling slowly, stopping, then starting again without coughing or huffing out a big puff of smoke.

Also, the first few seconds you exhale the smoke will be thinner since the first part to be exhaled is the smoke still in your mouth / throat, the rest of it is sealed away in your lungs and takes a second to get back out of your body.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 10:55 AM
nmcgrawj
Hookah Nut

Thats what i thought, my middle school music teacher is a well known jazz player, Randy Scott. About 10years ago in the 8th grade he tried to teach us how to do that....he said to get a straw and a cup of water. Blow bubbles and try to breathe in through your nose.

None of us got it....but i saw him perform live in downtown detroit about 2 years ago and he walked around a huge restaurant holding one note on his sax.....zero pauses.

I was amazed....
Old December 2nd, 2008, 11:02 AM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
Thats what i thought, my middle school music teacher is a well known jazz player, Randy Scott. About 10years ago in the 8th grade he tried to teach us how to do that....he said to get a straw and a cup of water. Blow bubbles and try to breathe in through your nose.

None of us got it....but i saw him perform live in downtown detroit about 2 years ago and he walked around a huge restaurant holding one note on his sax.....zero pauses.

I was amazed....
Yup Just finishing up my degree in jazz sax. Circular breathing is the bomb
Old December 2nd, 2008, 11:25 AM
nmcgrawj
Hookah Nut

How did you start out doing it?
Old December 2nd, 2008, 01:08 PM
CPill
Hookah Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to CPill

you mentioned that by the time you get to the thick smoke and begin to start making smoke rings, your body wants to continue exhaling... if i understand correctly, maybe when you're smoking you're going: completely empty -> inhale -> completely full. when trying to do smoke rings, i think it's best to use your regular "breathing range" and keeping the tension out of your lungs
Old December 2nd, 2008, 01:13 PM
CPill
Hookah Pro

it also depends on HOW you're blowing your rings. the two methods i've heard of is when you 1. pop your jaw to cause the smoke in your mouth to be forced out 2. immitating a small "cough".

i personally use the second one, and that way i can start blowing rings when the smoke is weak at first ((it usually isn't for me though)) all the way through the cloudy smoke, to the weak smoke at the end. and because i'm making this "cough" motion with my throat, i don't really worry about having to exhale because the coughing gradually exhales some of the smoke
Old December 2nd, 2008, 01:39 PM
Ekove
Hookah Nut

While smoking Shisha you naturally inhale, but unless you mean enforced inhale(pulling the smoke from your mouth that didn't make it smoothly to your lungs into your lungs), I only started doing that lately because it makes the flavor stronger in my opinion.

Anyhow, I don't think enforced inhaling is necessary to blow big thick O's, it's about how much smoke you're getting to begin with.

Now unless you don't do the inhaling that happens naturally, which means you're not pulling much smoke to begin with and limiting the amount to your mouth volume rather than lungs.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:08 PM
nmcgrawj
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPill View Post
you mentioned that by the time you get to the thick smoke and begin to start making smoke rings, your body wants to continue exhaling... if i understand correctly, maybe when you're smoking you're going: completely empty -> inhale -> completely full. when trying to do smoke rings, i think it's best to use your regular "breathing range" and keeping the tension out of your lungs

So you mean to inhale the smoke after taking a regular breath of air?

So like......air: breath in, out, in then take a hit? Cause i do go from exhaling air to inhaling smoke, like you descibed going from empty to full of smoke.

Quote:
it also depends on HOW you're blowing your rings. the two methods i've heard of is when you 1. pop your jaw to cause the smoke in your mouth to be forced out 2. immitating a small "cough".

i personally use the second one, and that way i can start blowing rings when the smoke is weak at first ((it usually isn't for me though)) all the way through the cloudy smoke, to the weak smoke at the end. and because i'm making this "cough" motion with my throat, i don't really worry about having to exhale because the coughing gradually exhales some of the smoke
I saw the video on jaw popping but i suck at it.....i do the coughing technique too.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:21 PM
CPill
Hookah Pro

Quote:
So you mean to inhale the smoke after taking a regular breath of air?

So like......air: breath in, out, in then take a hit? Cause i do go from exhaling air to inhaling smoke, like you descibed going from empty to full of smoke.
sorry i probably didn't explain it very well...
so you can breathe like this: completely empty -> breathe -> completely full.
and when i say this i mean that you blow ALL your air out (completely empty) where it feels like your lungs are rung out of all oxygen, then you breathe in to completely full, where it feels like your lungs will burst if another iota of oxygen comes in.
what i was saying about THAT type of breathing/smoking is that it creates a lot of tension in your chest and will give you the feeling that you NEED to exhale to inhale more oxygen, as a natural bodily defense.

to rid yourself of that feeling of NEEDING to exhale the smoke, i was saying that instead of going COMPLETELY empty -> COMPLETELY full, go from a COMFORTALBE empty -> COMFORTABLE full.
when you breathe normally, such as when you're speaking with someone, the air you use is the comfortable range. when you're "empty", there's still oxygen in your lungs, and when you're "full" you can still breathe in more air, but to go past those comfort points would create tension and the NEED exhale. so i was saying that to not feel like you NEED to exhale and thus making it difficult to blow smoke rings, you should stay in the comfortable range instead of maxing out your lungs to both extremes.

so when smoking, don't do this process: 1. force out all oxygen 2. inhale smoke until lungs are 100% full 3. blow out smoke/blow smoke rings
but do this instead, and remain relaxed: 1. exhale to 25% oxygen 2. inhale to about 75% 3.blow out smoke/blow smoke rings
it will help you be able to "hold your breathe" without feeling like you gotta force out the smoke before you get the chance to even blow out your rings

sorry it's so long winded, and i HOPE it helps, cause i'd hate for you to read all that and be like "wow, what a waste" you know?

Last edited by CPill; December 2nd, 2008 at 02:25 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:31 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I never did figure out how to blow Os but the tricks so the trick with smoke thing is obviously not my thing. To me a major aspect of smoking is taste and since I don't have any taste buds in my lungs I don't inhale. Of course since I never liked cigarettes and started out my love of tobacco with cigars I never got into inhaling.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:54 PM
nmcgrawj
Hookah Nut

Quote:
sorry i probably didn't explain it very well...
so you can breathe like this: completely empty -> breathe -> completely full.
and when i say this i mean that you blow ALL your air out (completely empty) where it feels like your lungs are rung out of all oxygen, then you breathe in to completely full, where it feels like your lungs will burst if another iota of oxygen comes in.
what i was saying about THAT type of breathing/smoking is that it creates a lot of tension in your chest and will give you the feeling that you NEED to exhale to inhale more oxygen, as a natural bodily defense.

to rid yourself of that feeling of NEEDING to exhale the smoke, i was saying that instead of going COMPLETELY empty -> COMPLETELY full, go from a COMFORTALBE empty -> COMFORTABLE full.
when you breathe normally, such as when you're speaking with someone, the air you use is the comfortable range. when you're "empty", there's still oxygen in your lungs, and when you're "full" you can still breathe in more air, but to go past those comfort points would create tension and the NEED exhale. so i was saying that to not feel like you NEED to exhale and thus making it difficult to blow smoke rings, you should stay in the comfortable range instead of maxing out your lungs to both extremes.

so when smoking, don't do this process: 1. force out all oxygen 2. inhale smoke until lungs are 100% full 3. blow out smoke/blow smoke rings
but do this instead, and remain relaxed: 1. exhale to 25% oxygen 2. inhale to about 75% 3.blow out smoke/blow smoke rings
it will help you be able to "hold your breathe" without feeling like you gotta force out the smoke before you get the chance to even blow out your rings

sorry it's so long winded, and i HOPE it helps, cause i'd hate for you to read all that and be like "wow, what a waste" you know?
LOL no that helps man, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
I never did figure out how to blow Os but the tricks so the trick with smoke thing is obviously not my thing. To me a major aspect of smoking is taste and since I don't have any taste buds in my lungs I don't inhale. Of course since I never liked cigarettes and started out my love of tobacco with cigars I never got into inhaling.
So do you just puff a little smoke at a time? I dont see how u can bring air in but not let it go past your mouth
Old December 2nd, 2008, 03:12 PM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
How did you start out doing it?
Straw and a glass of water man. Straw and a glass of water.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 03:31 PM
nmcgrawj
Hookah Nut

Quote:

haha the universal way of musicians
Old December 2nd, 2008, 04:20 PM
fashow69
Hookah Nut

for me, i take a big hit in and i start to exhale but I slow my exhale down so its not coming out as fast as it normally does.. and youll know when you have enough smoke because it will start to come out of your mouth. you will feel like your holding your breath thats how you know your doing it right. that is how I do thick O's.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 04:51 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Yup I inhale. Idk, just sucking in the smoke and blowing it out just seems like I don't taste much flavor.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 06:53 PM
CPill
Hookah Pro

Quote:
+1. straw and glass of water is an easy way to get the concept of it down. though i can't circular breathe, could never get it to work on the trombone/tuba
Old December 2nd, 2008, 09:34 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

circular breathing FTW, i picked up digereedoo and learned how to do it.

for the tricks, you need to get good thick smoke and then inhale, i dont take a huge deep breath but about a normal breath or a little more.

-matt
Old December 2nd, 2008, 09:39 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

idk just practice and look up vids on youtube they really help with O blowing technique.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 04:51 AM
UXK
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to UXK Send a message via Yahoo to UXK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgyrhppftPI

i tried doing what he said and its working pretty well. just takes practice. ill probably get 1 or 2 good rings out of it.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook