Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

No Taste

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 3rd, 2008, 03:07 PM
vcitriniti
Deleted Per User Request

Default No Taste

[FONT=Verdana]I donít know maybe it is just me but I have been smoking hookah for around 6 years now and unless I am smoking a shisha that is very strong I canít taste anything anymore. Even with strong flavours the taste doesnít last for much longer then the first to second pull. And for all other tobacco flavours when I smoke it is either harsh or not harsh. I was thinking maybe it has something to do with how long I have been smoking for. Just wondering if anyone else had this problem. [/FONT]
Old December 3rd, 2008, 03:14 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Default Re: No Taste

yes, I had this problem when I first started out .. I know you said 6 years! but this could be something to consider .. you may be using tooo much heat!

try packing the bowl to 1/8" below the level of the rim of the bowl (lightly sprinkle it in and gently tap it down VERY GENTLY you want it to be loose, but 1/8" below the rim of the bowl loose.
Make sure the stem is in 1/2" of cold water.
Use one sheet of heavy duty reynolds wrap.
and use less coal!
Throw on a windcover (even if you are indoors) and the less coal will actually provide a nice heat around the entire bowl using the windcover.

The problem that may be happening is that you are getting to much heat and burning the tobacco.

Or

You may just have lost your taste for tobacco that would suck! Hopefully it is not that .. we will help you figure it out!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old December 3rd, 2008, 03:15 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

how often do you clean your hookah

are you mixing your shisha well before packing

and it could be a heat management issue
-matt
Old December 3rd, 2008, 03:20 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

ohh yeah matt! I totally forgot about that!

CLEAN hookah is a MUST! and Good Hoses! If you have old hoses they will make everything taste the same (like shyt!)

SaharaSmoke.com and HookahHookah.com sell discounted hoses for $3

and I posted some videos on youtube of how to clean your hookah and how to setup. and also one of how to clean with beer! lol and it works good!

~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Old December 3rd, 2008, 03:22 PM
vcitriniti
Deleted Per User Request

[FONT=Verdana]I don’t think it is a problem with heat it’s rare that I burn the tobacco. I normally use a medium tangiers phunnel bowl with 3 coco naras or three pieces of a stick of exotica coals that was broken into four pieces.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Maybe the tin foil I don’t use the heavy duty reynolds wrap. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I really hope that I haven’t just loss my sense of taste, that would not be good. The thing is it has to be very strong. Which is why I have changed over to Tangiers but if I smoke Tangiers all the time it kills my throat.[/FONT]
Old December 3rd, 2008, 03:25 PM
vcitriniti
Deleted Per User Request

[FONT=Verdana]I just got a brand new nammor hose last night and I gave my hookah a good cleaning. I was smoking SB Christmas Mix this afternoon which wasn't too bad by the way. But again the taste is very faint.[/FONT]
Old December 3rd, 2008, 03:29 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcitriniti View Post
[FONT=Verdana]I just got a brand new nammor hose last night and I gave my hookah a good cleaning. I was smoking SB Christmas Mix this afternoon which wasn't too bad by the way. But again the taste is very faint.[/FONT]
a new nammor you wont get taste for a while due to the bad plastic taste in it. i havent used my new nammor because of that and plan to just clean it more with bakingsoda and lemon, i got 75% of the taste out but i still cant smoke through it cause of the plastic

i went to smoke at my friends place last week and he cleans his rig every week or 2 and has non washable hoses and i honestly couldnt smoke much cause it tasted bad

-matt
Old December 3rd, 2008, 03:36 PM
vcitriniti
Deleted Per User Request

Actually the hose I got wasnt to bad it didnt really have that plastic taste like the first time I got a nammor last year. But I cleaned it anyways before I used it with baking soda and lemon juice. And I know what your saying I will not smoke out of a non washable hose anymore. The thing is I can taste if the smoke is too harsh or if the tobacco is not any good, but if everything is done right its just not the same as it use to be.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 03:41 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Try some Nakhla for that terrific unwashed tobacco!

Sweet Melon, Double Apple, Earl Grey, Cinnamon, Margarita, just to name a few! They are fantastic! and FULL of flavor and have .5 nic

Cheers!

Old December 3rd, 2008, 03:54 PM
vcitriniti
Deleted Per User Request

I am in Canada so it is much harder to find good tobacco. All you can really get in Toronto is Nakhla Double Apple, Peach, Cherry, Sweet Melon, Mango, and Mixed Fruit. All of these have no taste at all for me anymore. It is probably because it is what is available and when I dont have an order coming in this is what I have to smoke.

I have only in the last year or two started ordering tobacco from outside of Canada. When I first started to smoke hookah there was only a few sites online that you could order from, so I was always smoking Nakhla.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 03:59 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

you might have just gotten immune to those flavors . how often/how much do you smoke?

-matt
Old December 3rd, 2008, 04:06 PM
vcitriniti
Deleted Per User Request

[FONT=Verdana]Well I have defiantly become immune to those. But like I said I was smoking SB Christmas Mix for the first time this afternoon and it just wasn’t that strong. It was pretty good but I can’t pick up on all the flavours like I use to. Also I tried SB Blue Mist last night for the first time because I heard how good it was, and nothing. It smells nice but I can’t really taste it all that much. I could tell there was some mint in there because of the cooling effect in the back of my throat. See but with some really strong flavours like Tangiers Horchata which I love, I can really taste it just because of how strong it is. I don’t know I have probably been smoking to long and should take a break for a few months that may be the reason why.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I would say that I probably smoke 1 - 2 a day missing a day or a week.[/FONT]
Old December 3rd, 2008, 04:14 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

for the blue myst try low heat. i use 2 cocos on a mod bowl and that is plenty, and wind cover is too much heat. it took me half of a 250 to get it smoking right but its one of my favorites. if it was cheaper and i had more of it i would pretty much only smoke it and af mint just switching back and forth

-matt
Old December 3rd, 2008, 04:26 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Wow you have the opposite effect from me! I think Nakhla and Starbuzz are really flavorful and Tangiers just tastes like plain old smoke or BBQ smoke to me.

I guess just stick to the one that has flavor for you .. bummer man I feel sorry that you are missing out on so many good flavors!
Al Fakher - Mint, Double Apple, Cinnamon
Starbuzz - Blue Myst, Citrus Myst, X on the Beach, Marlette, Irish Cream, Margarita, Strawberry Margarita
Nakhla - Double Apple, Sweet Melon, Earl Grey, Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruits, El Basha Grape
Hookah Freak - Ambrosia, Atomic Fireball, Spiced Apple Cider, Snickerdoodle
Fusion - Banana

Those are some of the most IN YOUR FACE flavors! (in my opinion) and are my TOP favorites by each of those brands .. if your not getting flavors from those, than you lost your taste buds .. again that makes me feel sad for you

Do other friends of yours have lack of flavor too!? If they do, then you may just have a setup problem.

Again, we will try to help you figure this out

Maybe next setup, try using two sheets of foil and small random holes (like with a thumb tack) probably around 15 or so, just enough to get airflow. If no airflow then poke some more until the airflow is decent. Try that out! and let us know

Cheers!

Old December 3rd, 2008, 04:55 PM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

I have been smoking for six years like you and I have the same problem with Double Apple. I just can't taste it.

Try AF golden eskandrani apple. IT is full of flavor.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 05:12 PM
Cloud 9 Voyage
Hookah Newbie

Location: Beale AFB, California!!! Originally from Dallas, Texas!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
how often do you clean your hookah

are you mixing your shisha well before packing

and it could be a heat management issue
-matt

I agree!!! Hookah management is a must!!! When I go over to friends cribs and I'm getting ready to smoke with them,

1. They're hookas are dirty as hell!!!

2. They use QLs!!!

3. They don't mix and pack their shisha correctly!!!

So usually the shisha gets burnt out by the coals and the airflow is crappy because the hookah in general is dirty!!! Try cleaning the whole hookah, TWICE if it requires it!!! Purchase new shisha!!! Preferably a thin cut, juicy, and without that many black stems!!! Also chill the water!!! Like hella cold!!! The more moisture I have, the more smoke I tend to get, giving me a better overall taste of the flavor!!! Feel me
Old December 3rd, 2008, 05:22 PM
DarkD3vil
Hookah Nut

sorry to hear about that

i use to not clean my hookahs (once or twice a week or longer)
i noticed no or hardly any flavor out of those hookahs, now that i clean my hookah daily i can taste the difference in the tobacco and i havent changed anything since the start just how often i clean it.

do you have any friends that got a hookah? try there setup out even use your tobacco and see if your notice a difference.

GOOD LUCK!!
Old December 3rd, 2008, 06:52 PM
vcitriniti
Deleted Per User Request

[FONT=Verdana]I am going to go out tonight and get some heavy duty reynolds wrap see if it helps. It’s not that I can’t taste anything it’s just very weak. But Tangiers has such strong flavors that normally I can taste it much longer. But yeah Tangiers can smell like a BBQ if it’s not done right, Tangiers should smell and taste like the flavor it says it is.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]A friend of mine has been smoking for around 6 years and I am pretty sure he has the same problem. Not as bad as me but still not like it use to be. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I don’t think it is the setup I am going to try now with different foil and I am going to get a new windscreen mine broke. But the hookah is very clean except for the base I have tried everything but I still cannot that smell out totally.[/FONT]
Old December 3rd, 2008, 07:21 PM
Biloshambles
Hookah Nut

Quote:
[FONT=Verdana]But the hookah is very clean except for the base I have tried everything but I still cannot that smell out totally.[/FONT]
I have the same issue with cleaning my base, anyone have any ideas for that?
Old December 3rd, 2008, 07:54 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
[FONT=Verdana]I am going to go out tonight and get some heavy duty reynolds wrap see if it helps. Itís not that I canít taste anything itís just very weak. But Tangiers has such strong flavors that normally I can taste it much longer. But yeah Tangiers can smell like a BBQ if itís not done right, Tangiers should smell and taste like the flavor it says it is.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]A friend of mine has been smoking for around 6 years and I am pretty sure he has the same problem. Not as bad as me but still not like it use to be. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]I donít think it is the setup I am going to try now with different foil and I am going to get a new windscreen mine broke. But the hookah is very clean except for the base I have tried everything but I still cannot that smell out totally.[/FONT]
Cleaning Your Hookah:
Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvqnpUcEJ-8
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRJp0DUUY

Cleaning with Beer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1S2jJtJV5g

you can also try some coarse salt, lemon, baking soda and alcohol and shake the hell outta that base!

Old December 4th, 2008, 12:27 AM
vcitriniti
Deleted Per User Request

[FONT=Verdana]I find the only way to get that smell out is to use dish soap but I don’t like to do that. I have tried using salt lemon juice and baking soda together, it works pretty good gets it nice and clean but still you get that smell. It’s not really bad but it’s still there.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Oh I am about to try using the heavy duty foil I will let you know how it goes.[/FONT]
Old December 4th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

GOOD LUCK VCI,
Old December 4th, 2008, 01:37 AM
vcitriniti
Deleted Per User Request

I just tried SB Irish Cream using the heavy duty foil its excellent. I dont know if it has anything to do with the foil but its still very good.

I guess I am just going to have to stick to much stronger flavors.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old December 4th, 2008, 02:10 AM
reality-
Banned

the irish cream isnt a big hit for me.. its not that strong flavour.. but hey.. u got it to work so great!
Old December 4th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I was using some dollar store foil and it always made my sessions crappy! now I use the Reynolds wrappables or Heavy Duty Foil and works like a champ!

Be sure to check those cleaning methods .. and read the mixture below the vids as well .. the coarse salt will SCRUB your base!

Cheers!

Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook