Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

How to order or ask for tobacco

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 4th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Fezzik Send a message via Yahoo to Fezzik
Default How to order or ask for tobacco

Ok, so I am having a problem. I am going into local stores to check and see if they have Hookahs and tobacco molasses. I find that I run into Middle Eastern and Indian people mostly and for some reason they never understand what I want. I went into one place and they had hookahs and I was asking about the tobaccos. I used just about every term I could think of and the lady looked at me and smiled and said I can't sell it to you without a license. I asked so you don't have a license to sell it (it was a tobacco shop and I can't imagine there being a separate licence for molasses). She said no not without license. I think we were getting our wires crossed but another place I went the guy thought I wanted Baklava. One of the hookah lounges thought I was asking about a drink. I need help. How do you refer to it when you are wanting to buy hookah tobacco. I have tried Hookah tobacco, tobacco for the hookah, tobacco molasses, molasses tobacco, my bastardization of moassel, Al Fakher, Nakhla, I am not saying something right or not saying the right terms. Only one dude figured it out and showed me the three boxes of Nakhla he had for 6 bucks a piece.
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:15 PM
jreese86
Hookah Nut

Default Re: How to order or ask for tobacco

Shisha?
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Yeah but only Americans call it that. I have tried that. I either get pointed to a pipe or get an even weirder look. Depends on which store. The really good store just has an isle dedicated to it and I can just pick out what I want but I was hoping I could find more variety going to some of the other places and they seem to tend to keep it hidden behind the counter.
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

So so far no one calls it Shisha, Hookah tobacco, tobacco for hookah, molasses, tobacco molasses, molasses tobacco, shisha molasses, hookah molasses, Shisha tobacco, Al Fakher (or my bastardization of it), Nakhla (again my bastardization of it), or Moassel (again my bastardization of it).

I can pick Nakhla up and as long as I don't have to ask for it I do fine. I have Al Fakher written in Arabic in my wallet so if I have trouble with it again I will just whip that out. I just want to know what to ask for if you are completely incapable of pronouncing any term or name even remotely understandably whether you try or not.

Last edited by Fezzik; December 4th, 2008 at 12:23 PM.
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:20 PM
onehourlater
Hookah Nut

Shisha is what I use generally.

(even though I don't think its the right term from its original language)
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:31 PM
esisomsun
Hookah Pro

ive never had a problem w/ using Shisha @ middle eastern mkts.

maybe the lady just didnt know where it was or how to help you
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Shisha usually means hookah. I would think shisha tobacco, moassel, or tobamel would work.
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezzik View Post
So so far no one calls it Shisha, Hookah tobacco, tobacco for hookah, molasses, tobacco molasses, molasses tobacco, shisha molasses, hookah molasses, Shisha tobacco, Al Fakher (or my bastardization of it), Nakhla (again my bastardization of it), or Moassel (again my bastardization of it).

I can pick Nakhla up and as long as I don't have to ask for it I do fine. I have Al Fakher written in Arabic in my wallet so if I have trouble with it again I will just whip that out. I just want to know what to ask for if you are completely incapable of pronouncing any term or name even remotely understandably whether you try or not.
Shisha is the name of the pipe actually not the tobacco. And it's widely used. Call it a water pipe or nargile. I have zero luck here with Indian stores, only Arabic stores near me carry anything hookah related.
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

Hookah Tobacco = Moa'assel
Hookah = Shisha or Argilah

I have been living in the middle east for 25 years and I know what I am talking about.

I don't know who created the word "HOOKAH" but it doesn't make any sense.
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:50 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Shisha is the pipe

Moassel is the tobacco

And that lady was asking for your license. She needed to check your ID.

Last edited by kalutika; December 4th, 2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
I have been living in the middle east for 25 years and I know what I am talking about.

I don't know who created the word "HOOKAH" but it doesn't make any sense.
Colorado Springs is Middle East? jk.

And Fezz it depends on where you are, different countries call it different things. Not every place you go calls it the same.

Last edited by Kwikwi; December 4th, 2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old December 4th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I was gonna say that too, she probably wanted to see your drivers license! lol

As for the term "Hookah" it is the word Americans use and in India (they also call it Hubbly Bubbly).
.. I'm starting a new thread on this, cuz this topic irritates me! and I think it is time for some discussion/education for us all!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old December 4th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

I moved to the Springs 3 months ago. Anyway, I can see that you import most of the Shisha's stuff from the Middle East. So, I think we should stick to the original names such as Shisha and Moaassel instead of creating funny names such as "Hookah".

You know what, you can guys call it whtever you want, I dont' care. I just want to make our lives easier when interacting with each other.
Old December 4th, 2008, 01:09 PM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

Shisha tobacco or Argheela tobacco should be fine

But be advised that not all middle eastern stores carry tobacco, many middle easterns do not smoke and consider smoking or trading in smoking stuff is sinful
Old December 4th, 2008, 01:20 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

ive never had issues but all the places ive gone to are ran by white people or are right by a college so theres no issues with "shisha" and "hookah"

if they dont understand "shisha tobacco" they either cant speak english at all, dont know any thing, or just dont have it.

i bet that lady was trying to get your ID but the wordings between you two probably got confused

and as to the word "hookah" iirc it was what white people that went into the middle east heard people saying supposedly in reference to the pipe and it was the closest way they could say it... then again it could have been a misunderstanding, the term "powwow" came from when white people saw a native dancing and people were saying powwow so they thought thats what dancing was called but it was the dancers name
-matt

Last edited by mattathayde; December 4th, 2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old December 4th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Before we get into a big discussion of terminology and stuff in this thread!

I created this one, as this is a HOT topic to me!

http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8013

Bottom line, in the US, which is where FEZ is ... they should know what he is talking about if he says tobacco, shisha, hookah, etc. If they don't know, then just move on! I had the same thing happen to me in Orlando. I thought for sure I would be able to find some turok there or jurak, but could find NOTHING! They looked at me like I was an alien!?

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old December 4th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Wharbone
Hookah Nut

I just ask for hookah tobacco. I've never bought from an Arabic store. I just go to the local smoke shops.
Old December 4th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Well yeah ok Hookah comes best I can tell from a British bastardization coming from when they first took over India. That was the best they could make of huqu. I have no idea why we started calling the tobacco Shisha. Well the Indian lady was having a hard time understanding me which I think is odd since well they speak English and she runs a store. I think she thought I was asking if she would sell me a hookah or some tobacco without a lisence which was why I specifically asked the clarification quesiton of you need a license to sell Shisha tobacco? She said yes. But I did think about showing her my license so I could ask her questions without her giving me that smile. The thing is they have Hookahs and in my experience the tobacco stores here that have hookahs usually have a small selection somewhere of Shisha tobacco.

By the way I have about resigned myself to just using American terminology because just like when people get angry about generalizing their background here and want you to refer to them by the country of their origen as if you can look at someone and tell that I can't look at someone and tell what to call the pipe or the tobacco. For me Shisha as the pipe and Shisha tobacco makes sense for the tobacco but no one goes by that.

I suppose my biggest issue is no matter what I call it no one understands me. Maybe my accent is worse than I thought and I just sound like I walked right out of deliverance or maybe I just look like I would prefer Baklava to Shisha tobacco. LOL. Who knows.
Old December 4th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

I guess I am the only one that has trouble. I only seem to have trouble at the places that have it behind the counter. Other places I just bring it up to the counter. As I have said my pronunciation of Al Fakher is so bad I have it written in my wallet so that if I need to ask for it i can show it. LOL
Old December 4th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharbone View Post
I just ask for hookah tobacco. I've never bought from an Arabic store. I just go to the local smoke shops.
I would say you are probably paying way too much for it. The smoke shops here sell Nakhla for 6 bucks a 250g while the Baraka the Middle Eastern Grocery sells it for $4.50. Also my wife loves the produce section. She got mad at me though for trying to have to complex a conversation with someone whose English was not all that great. Decent but not wonderful. I had questions.
Old December 4th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Oh and my Egyptian co-worker that sits across from me corrects me when I mention it and tells me in Egypt we call it Shisha. LOL
Old December 4th, 2008, 05:50 PM
RushN24
Hookah Nut

Fezzik you might just have to bring a picture of it or maybe an empty box with you to show them. I'm sure you are asking correctly, maybe the people just have really poor English and it is the language barrier that is in your way. Or maybe they are scared of your jovial appearance? Maybe they wonder how can a man be so happy? BTW did you get your hookah yet? I forgot if it was a birthday gift or a christmas gift.
Old December 4th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

No to be perfectly fair here. Some of these stores are just being jerks. One in particular doesn't want any questions or any comments or anything unless you are handing them money and asking for product. You have to know what you want how to say it and be clear because they think it is strange for me to be there. Odd part of town for me to be I guess. They had great prices on Hookahs no idea how much Shisha tobacco is. They will never tell me. They have it behind the registers and want me to buy it or move on. The Indian lady also had a cue, and the guy who asked if I wanted Baklava again to be fair it was behind the counter and I was trying to ask for Al Fakher. I suck at saying that one brand worse than anything else. I guess they aren't used to the southern way of prounouncing it. LOL.
Old December 4th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Christmas unfortunately. Or rather fortunately. My birthday isn't till march. WOAH.
Old December 4th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

That would be a long wait. I would break down and figure out some way to get it before then. LOL.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook