Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

How to order or ask for tobacco

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 4th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Fezzik Send a message via Yahoo to Fezzik
Default Re: How to order or ask for tobacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushN24 View Post
Fezzik you might just have to bring a picture of it or maybe an empty box with you to show them. I'm sure you are asking correctly, maybe the people just have really poor English and it is the language barrier that is in your way. Or maybe they are scared of your jovial appearance? Maybe they wonder how can a man be so happy? BTW did you get your hookah yet? I forgot if it was a birthday gift or a christmas gift.

It could be the imposing presence. Or the imposing presence trying to ask questions pronouncing Al Fakher in a way that makes it sound like he wants to do dirty things with a bird. Who knows.
Old December 4th, 2008, 05:57 PM
RushN24
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezzik View Post
Christmas unfortunately. Or rather fortunately. My birthday isn't till march. WOAH.
Excellent! Only a few more weeks and its yours. It is going to be so nice after these long months of waiting! Are you looking for a particular tobacco that you can't find? Maybe me or someone else on the site has access to it and can send you some. I don't get anything special here Nakhla, Fakher, and Starbuzz. Everything else I order online.
Old December 4th, 2008, 07:11 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
It could be the imposing presence. Or the imposing presence trying to ask questions pronouncing Al Fakher in a way that makes it sound like he wants to do dirty things with a bird. Who knows.
every one around her says it like flock with out the l with an er on the end

-matt
Old December 4th, 2008, 07:44 PM
reality-
Banned

Fezzik.. you just made 4 posts within 3 minutes in a row.. heh.. never seen that on a forum.. are you hunting for post counts or... in that case Please try not to... its like this unwritten forum rule like dont write with caps lock and search before posting.. No offence friend..
Old December 5th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by reality- View Post
Fezzik.. you just made 4 posts within 3 minutes in a row.. heh.. never seen that on a forum.. are you hunting for post counts or... in that case Please try not to... its like this unwritten forum rule like dont write with caps lock and search before posting.. No offence friend..
Sorry I usually just do separate posts for separate responses. Like I will respond to yours here but go back and respond to some of the others in a separate post. Helps me keep track of my thoughts. Keep them separate and less confusing.
Old December 5th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
every one around her says it like flock with out the l with an er on the end

-matt
Avid Hookah smokers seem to get that. Usually after I say it enough they kind of get it and then correct me. Then I say it correctly and for some reason never can get back to it. Ahmed that sits across from me liked that I had it written out. It cracked him up.
Old December 5th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushN24 View Post
Excellent! Only a few more weeks and its yours. It is going to be so nice after these long months of waiting! Are you looking for a particular tobacco that you can't find? Maybe me or someone else on the site has access to it and can send you some. I don't get anything special here Nakhla, Fakher, and Starbuzz. Everything else I order online.
A few more weeks indeed. I am excited. I guess she is looking forward to the long months of waiting for her dream rat cages as well. LOL. I have almost everything cut now just have to finish the assembly. These puppies are going to be tough as hell to move.

No not looking for anything specific just trying to find out what people around here have. Tons of the stores here carry it but no one ever understands me when I ask for it. I was persistent enough with one to find out they had three boxes of tobacco two Nakhla and one that I can't remember. I have a good stock pile of 50g samples but I am just trying to find out where I can grab some cheap and where I can grab some fast. Some of these places are open more than others and some are more convenient to me. So it is all about getting a feel for the stores here. If I can avoid paying shipping I like to go that route. And if I can get Nakhla for 4.50 with no shipping it is that much better.
Old December 5th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

I just order it online so theres no misunderstanding
Old December 5th, 2008, 04:49 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskysibe View Post
I just order it online so theres no misunderstanding
ya but with the prices hes getting the hassle is worth the half price on some of the tobacco

-matt
Old December 5th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

but he is not getting any prices cause no one understands what he wants LOL
Old December 5th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Ah Baraka has an isle dedicated to Shisha tobacco and coals. No messy interaction with the sales people until I am paying for it. But they are kind of a small grocery so I am not sure they will always be open or there may be times I don't have time or whatever to drive all the way to Brentwood/South Nashville to get tobacco so the few places where it is a buck or two more is convenient. But true if I can't get them to understand what I want them to pull out then it doesn't matter how good the deal is. I best just stock up at Baraka when I get the chance and no worries.

Basically the scouting is to build variety as well as convenience. Quite a few places have it so I may just have the guys here help me write out a few different terms in Arabic and whatever else I would need ( I suppose Farsi and Persian) and I will just use those when I am wanting to ask questions. LOL. "I would like to look at your **Point at the word** please."
Old December 5th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
ya but with the prices hes getting the hassle is worth the half price on some of the tobacco

-matt
8.99 on AF 250g is ok but not outstanding but with no shipping it is marvelous. 4.50 for Nakhla 250g though is nice. Shoot even $6 bucks at the little tobacco shop around the corner from my house isn't bad. The rest of the places I can't get prices. Either by the lack of understanding or the lack of helpful customer service or both. Baraka is best but not the largest selection and only 3 brands Nakhla, Al Fakher, and Skyzzzz. Online will be for special purpose stuff Hookah-Hookah stuff comes to mind as do a few others and 50g packs are virtually impossible to find here so far.
Old December 5th, 2008, 05:58 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Ma'assal
Tombac is technically not what you want.

But use a brand,
you can try to ask, " 'andak" which means do you have, and add whatever after it
id tell you how to say do you sell, but i dont want to anglicize that.

but anyhow, add the brand name after it or molasses (the first word)

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old December 5th, 2008, 06:09 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolinger View Post
Ma'assal
Tombac is technically not what you want.

But use a brand,
you can try to ask, " 'andak" which means do you have, and add whatever after it
id tell you how to say do you sell, but i dont want to anglicize that.

but anyhow, add the brand name after it or molasses (the first word)
i will say (i think it was touched on in the thread) you want to be careful using a language towards some one unless you know where they are from. if they dont speak the language its like trying to speak russian to a czech or slovakian , not only no comprehension (possibly) but you will have a good chance of offending them

-matt
Old December 5th, 2008, 08:35 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

well, sorry i thought the syrian flag gave away the arab-ness, i wasn't clear, thats arabic, use it on any arab, they'll understand it, I gave you MSA words not dialect, so you should be good.

if theyre not arab, you are more than likely fucked unless someone here can tell you what to say in dari, pashto, hindi, punjabi, etc etc etc

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old December 5th, 2008, 09:34 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolinger View Post
well, sorry i thought the syrian flag gave away the arab-ness, i wasn't clear, thats arabic, use it on any arab, they'll understand it, I gave you MSA words not dialect, so you should be good.

if theyre not arab, you are more than likely fucked unless someone here can tell you what to say in dari, pashto, hindi, punjabi, etc etc etc
lol i knew you were giving arabic just wanted to make it clear that it would only work on arabs not "arabs" or as some of our countrymen call them "a-rabs" .

-matt
Old December 6th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Wharbone
Hookah Nut

Quote:
I would say you are probably paying way too much for it. The smoke shops here sell Nakhla for 6 bucks a 250g while the Baraka the Middle Eastern Grocery sells it for $4.50. Also my wife loves the produce section. She got mad at me though for trying to have to complex a conversation with someone whose English was not all that great. Decent but not wonderful. I had questions.
Actually, no. Smoke shops in my area have AF for 9.99. I've bought Tangiers on sale for 8.50. Naklha on 50% off sale for about $3.50. Starbuzz for $20.

Much cheaper than buying online with shipping. I have not found any markets in town that sell hookah tobacco.
Old December 6th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Ekove
Hookah Nut

Well most arabs call it Mo'assal. But doubt you can pronounce that, just print the word or a picture of a pack with the word on it and show it to them.
Old December 6th, 2008, 05:20 PM
highlight
Hookah Nut

Sound like you ran into the shisha nazi. "NO SHISA FOR YOU."
Old December 6th, 2008, 05:22 PM
highlight
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharbone View Post
Actually, no. Smoke shops in my area have AF for 9.99. I've bought Tangiers on sale for 8.50. Naklha on 50% off sale for about $3.50. Starbuzz for $20.

Much cheaper than buying online with shipping. I have not found any markets in town that sell hookah tobacco.
Wow, where do you live. I live in the bay area and berkeley and Height-Ashbury areas are way overpriced. 5x50g AF $17.99. Really?
Old December 8th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

I think I need to stop asking for the brands. All though I had luck at a hookah lounge. The guy knew what I was talking about right off the bat. I asked something about Al Fakher the one I have the most trouble with. Not sure why but I just can't seem to say it right and he understood first time with no questioned look. I must be getting better. LOL.
Old December 8th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Question though. I am sure no one speaks any of the native Indian languages but what do they call Shisha tobacco in India (English being the official language I figure there must be an English term for it there).
Old December 8th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Wharbone
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlight View Post
Wow, where do you live. I live in the bay area and berkeley and Height-Ashbury areas are way overpriced. 5x50g AF $17.99. Really?
This is in Tucson, AZ.
Old December 9th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharbone View Post

Wow I would like to catch that sale. Although AF is cheaper here a $3.50 sale on Nakhla would be awesome. I really should get a 250g of Double apple now that I think about it. My wife loves that stuff and I am really starting to like it. Though she is scaring me starting to really like AF. For two reasons it is harder to find and even harder for me to ask for and it is double the money. But she also is in love with bulk coals. I guess we will be trying out some naturals to see if it is just as good or if it is the hickory and mesquite coals we have been smoking that she loves. Then I guess I am relegated to making my own. Which if I can put together the proper indirect firing rig for that it will save me money on coals and artistic charcoal at the same time.
Old December 9th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlight View Post
Sound like you ran into the shisha nazi. "NO SHISA FOR YOU."
Well the one place if I know what I want and am ready to pay immediately and get out of their way fast then I am sure it won't be a problem. They aren't much for browsing or questions. The other places I just have to be patient and keep at it till I either get my point across or give up. But really there is one store that is really easy and Shisha tobacco is on an isle in the grocery store. I browse I buy I leave no problem. It is just a little further away than is really convenient when I know there are places closer that have it but I just can't get my point across quickly. I am getting better though. I actually asked about Al Fakher without too much confusion recently. That is some kind of improvement.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook