Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

What does it all mean!? Hookah, Shisha, Maassel, Tobamel, Narghile?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 4th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Default What does it all mean!? Hookah, Shisha, Maassel, Tobamel, Narghile?

I have had so many people rip me in comments about using the word Hookah wrong, and telling me that is not what it is called. But ya know what!? That is what Americans and people in India call it .. and that is what I am calling it, since I am living in the states.

Educational (Read at your own Risk! You might learn something!)
The term "Hookah" is what they refer to it in India (they also call it Hubbly Bubbly or Hubble Bubble). Americans adopted the word "Hookah" from them, and that is how it has come to be referred to as here in the United States.

Now let me ask you this ..
If I call tennis shoes, sneakers or kicks. Am I wrong? You know what I am talking about right?
If I call a house a crib or mi casa, you do know what I am talking about, correct?
How about a car? What if I called it an automobile or whip, or my ride? Would you be totally lost in translation?
If you live in the US? and want to go to a bar to smoke some of this delicious flavored tobacco with your friends, what do you call one of these such establishments? yeah a "Hookah Bar!" and for the record .. I am NOT saying this is the ONLY word, I am saying that this is the term we have grown to know here in the United States and some other places as well. There are MULTIPLE words referring to any one particular item in different cultures.

I received this comment recently on youtube:
"amateur. come to the middle east and learn how to do it properly and to learn the correct names for the stuff you are using."

My response:
"Thanks for the constructive criticism! Actually there are many words such as narghile / shisha / hubbly bubbly / dhoom netra / dakka or any other words you would like to use to describe your smoking device. In the US and India we use the word "Hookah" to describe this smoking device. It is not that I am wrong, you are just uneducated to the fact that there are multiple names used for one object. I would very much enjoy seeing you do a video of your technique, I enjoy learning new techniques! thx"

^ You know me, always the one to give a well thought out response and deal with people in a positive manner.

OK! So NOW, let's educate each other!
What are some of the terms you have heard used for "Tobacco" or for the "Smoking Device"?

Tobacco: also referred to as ..
shisha, maassell, tobamel
(and before you say I am spelling shisha wrong (or something else) it can be spelled differently by some countries!)

Smoking Device: also referred to as ..
hookah (most commonly used in India and America), narghile, shisha, hubbly bubbly, dhoom netra, dakka, goza, ghalyoun, qualyan, water pipe
(again, before you say I am spelling something wrong, it can be spelled differently by some countries, such as .. argileh, narkeela, ghalyan, hubble bubble)

So now it is out there, this much needed topic of discussion! Let's talk about it and learn some new names and spellings, etc.

And feel free to comment on anything I have said .. have you ever had people rip on you for terminology you have used?

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!

Last edited by Sambooka; December 4th, 2008 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Adding more words ..
Old December 4th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Default Re: What does it all mean!? Hookah, Shisha, Maassel, Tobamel, Narghile?

I just remembered something when a woman I work with walked by me as I was grabbing my lunch. I speak with her on occasion about my passion for hookah.

She is about 80 years old and is VERY much from India. When I first got into hookah, I asked her about it with excitement! She knew EXACTLY what I was talking about! Now when you think about that, she is not main stream. She told me about hookah and remembered how she use to set it up for her dad when she was a little girl. She also said people in India called it a hubbly bubbly.

I forgot to mention this conversation I have had with an old-timer from India, proving my point that Americans and India referring to it as a "hookah". Just another name ... I am not saying it is the ONLY name, I am saying it is ONE OF MANY!

~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Old December 4th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

Totally agree.
Old December 4th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Ekove
Hookah Nut

You make a good point. As for my, I do have a problem with calling the moassal Shisha, because shisha is the device not the tobacco and that get get a little confusing.
Old December 4th, 2008, 02:21 PM
ninemillimeter
Hookah Nut

i've noticed that here in the forums. no matter what its called if you read and use context you can figure it out. theres no need to say "i got this new 32" shisha (thats what its called everywhere else but the US- im not talking about tobacco, noobs)" we got it. we know the lingo. im not gonna call pop soda when im with my friend from new jersey- im still callin it pop

example:
dude, thats not an axe- its a guitar.
well you may call them subs, theyre really called hoagies.

Last edited by ninemillimeter; December 4th, 2008 at 02:25 PM. Reason: change wording
Old December 4th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Xazon
Hookah Nut

Dude i have'nt heard Smoking device or tobacco be called the most of those names
Old December 4th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninemillimeter View Post
well you may call them subs, but real people where i come from call them hoagies.
Hey ninemillimeter, you are really not calling it the right thing! I grew up in New Hampshire and we called them "Grinders". I mean, I understand what you are saying, but you are totally wrong! you should really say it the right way! Of course I am joking with ninemillimeter, just proving my point! The "right way" is not "your way", keep an open mind with other cultures and vocabularys from people around the world. There are lots of different words .. and we still manage to understand what the other person is talking about ...

By The Way, Great response ninemillimeter!

Last edited by Sambooka; December 4th, 2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old December 4th, 2008, 03:01 PM
persianpimp730
Hookah Nut

in Iran its called ghalyoun.
Old December 4th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by persianpimp730 View Post
in Iran its called ghalyoun.
Gonna add this to my post ... so we have the names compiled up top Thanks!

Old December 4th, 2008, 03:04 PM
ByronSA
Hookah Pro

i think it'd be interesting to see where all the different names originated from

lol @ hubbly bubbly, that's sounds funny
Old December 4th, 2008, 03:09 PM
hookahplayer21
Hookah Nut

received this comment recently on youtube:
"amateur. come to the middle east and learn how to do it properly and to learn the correct names for the stuff you are using."

My response:
"Thanks for the constructive criticism! Actually there are many words such as narghile / shisha / hubbly bubbly / dhoom netra / dakka or any other words you would like to use to describe your smoking device. In the US and India we use the word "Hookah" to describe this smoking device. It is not that I am wrong, you are just uneducated to the fact that there are multiple names used for one object. I would very much enjoy seeing you do a video of your technique, I enjoy learning new techniques! thx"

Owned! I agree with you wholeheartedly Sambooka. Hope i spelled that right. lol
Old December 4th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronSA View Post
lol @ hubbly bubbly, that's sounds funny
You should hear an old Indian woman say it, with her strong India accent! She is such a nice old lady and it sounds so cute! I'll try to get her to say it into my phone recorder some time when I am not too busy at work and have a moment.

Old December 4th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

This topic has long been a pet peeve of mine so i'll sound off on it.

When I was introduced to this thing of ours in Syria I was told that the water pipe is called a narghile and although I know that numerous other names exist all over the world describing the same thing I prefer the term "narghile" and the variant argileh.

As to India i've only been to Kashmir (which I think should be part of Pakistan) and Goa and I don't know much about the tobacco culture there although I enjoy many Indian products when I can get them. I recall they you use a variant of the term hookah although the actual term varies greatly since India is such a huge and ethnically diverse country.

Basically I am not too concerned about what the water pipe itself is called although I do feel very strongly that one should use the term traditionally used where you are. As a result, I don't think that Someon e Yeman or Syria for instance should call it a hookah as that is lingustically wrong for them.

I don't know why Americans call a water pipe a hookah since they are not (for the most part) from India but it doesn't particularly bother me

As to the tobacco it does annoy me to have it called shisha. I have found that a great deal of confusion exists among my fellow Occidentals as to what the various forms of narghile tobacco are called so here is a quick guide:

tumbāk (or any variant on the spelling) - This is a dried, whole leaf product smoked by placing the coals directly on the dampened leaf

Black Mu'essel - This is a tobacco product that uses molasses as an agglutinant and has no flavouring agents other then what naturally is provided by the tobacco and molasses. This style of product usually does not have glycerine added.

Tobamel - This is a tobacco product that uses honey as an agglutinant and traditionally has no flavouring agents other then what naturally is provided by the tobacco and the honey. Modern variants can use absolutely any kind flavouring you can think of and typically have glycerine added.

Mu'essel - A generic term for a tobacco product that uses molasses as an agglutinant and can have absolutely any kind flavouring you can think of and typically have glycerine added.

Jurāk - This is a finely cut product made out of fire or air cured tobacco that uses molasses as an agglutinant and often uses various herbal or wood derived essential oils for flavouring but never uses fruit/candy/coffee etc style flavourings.

Last edited by Hajo Flettner; December 4th, 2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old December 4th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookahplayer21 View Post
received this comment recently on youtube:

My response:

Owned! I agree with you wholeheartedly Sambooka. Hope i spelled that right. lol
Yeah when people write me stuff like that, I will usually respond! and other users will respond too! They backed me up recently on some other comment in my latest vid.

Some dipshyt left me the commend:
"loser with no fucking life"

lol my subscribers tore him up! It is amazing somebody would say something like that to me for trying to do something productive, yet they have nothing better to do than to post crap like that on peoples videos!? haha

my response to him?
"My life is fuk'n GREAT! If you could live in my shoes for a week, you would probably kill yourself after you come to the realization of how pathetic your life really is! You have nothing better to do than to post a comment like you did? .. and you state that I have no life? lol .. take the time to think about that one.

Thanks to everyone backing me up and marking his comment as a "poor comment". Cheers!"

His comment got deleted or something by youtube. I was gonna leave it up for more subscribers to tear him up! It's good to know there are some good people out there! Most people are pretty cool, and laugh with me about how I can't pronounce al fakher.

We had an exchange student from Japan when I was young. hahahaha he couldn't pronounce L's he would pronounce them as R's so we took him out for seafood and he said "Robster!" haha but we knew what he was trying to say, and tried to constructively help him, but with English being a second language for him, some words and letters are just to hard to say.

Like how I have trouble saying Al Fakher, I speak a little French and English is my primary .. so that is why it comes out sounding all fuked up! and a little French lol! Oh well!? You know what I am trying to say, so just laugh at my accent and enjoy the video!

Old December 4th, 2008, 03:35 PM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Yahoo to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Skype™ to FarBeyondDriven

Sam, there are lots of people out there who blow a head gasket over the simplest thing LOL. Don't worry about these infidels! Keep doing what you're doing. Everybody here know you are the man, no need to make a fuss out of nothing. If he was right in his mind he would have say "Hi there, nice video! Just a tip - where I am from in the Middle East we say "so and so" --- You know what I mean? Don't pay no mind Sam, your videos are great and I can assure you that's not the only negative remark you will receive on your videos. People like to downtalk others a lot and it's really immature, so just look over it and smoke that mo'assel like ya know it's good!

Salaam,

"The Phenom"
Old December 4th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

thxs FBD! Hope to see you doing some more vids soon! Could use some help from the other Hookah Pro Members in spreading the good word and getting reviews and stuff out there be nice to hear some authentic and perfected pronunciations too!

Old December 4th, 2008, 04:00 PM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Yahoo to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Skype™ to FarBeyondDriven

No problem Sam. For the videos, I have had some requests and even my lady says I should do a new one . Anything to help out, so a video will be coming soon. As for the pronunciations and all, even though I am of Syrian descent, you and I are on the same page bro. My Dad (who is Syrian) hit the road when I was just a young man so I missed out on learning a good bit of my Arab heritage, but hey you live and learn. Thanks for the encouragement and there will be a new video coming up soon
Old December 4th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

There will be more, and I will make this more stylish .. but here is where Intros/Outros will be stored for download. For Members to use in their videos

http://www.hookahpro.com/downloads

Ok, let's get this most important of topics back on topic PM me anything further FBD .. Cheers man!

Old December 4th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Great post Hajo! Lots more information there!

I know how you feel about "shisha" being used to describe tobacco .. so that is why I say "tobacco" lol instead of shisha. But it doesn't bother me if other people call it shisha, I know what they mean. Again it is just one of those American terms that we have adopted to describe maassel.

You know, now that I think of it! I bet it got adopted because it was being called "shisha tobacco" and eventually people got lazy and just started saying "shisha". I would be willing to bet that is how it got adopted here in the US.

Cheers!

Old December 4th, 2008, 04:06 PM
hookahlife
Vendor

Send a message via ICQ to hookahlife Send a message via AIM to hookahlife

We asked Hajo to write an article for us regarding the tradition and history of hookah. Here is the link: http://www.hookah-life.com/events_13.htm

Its not exactly on topic, but its some history behind hookah traditions. Just thought some people might be interested.

Here is the content:
Narghiles and Tradition 10/29/2007

Written By:
Hajo Flettner of Madrid, NM
Hookah Connoisseur
10/29/2007

Narghiles and Tradition

A topic that frequently arises among narghile1 users in Western societies is how tradition affects our love of mu'essel2 and narghiles. In particular we have seen frequent references in the mass media and from those not familiar with our hobby interpreting it as nothing more then a pseudo-hippy fetish for oriental exotica.

Certainly it is true that modern Western societies are so radically different from the cultural environment that narghile use originated in, that the mere use of a narghile does not show an affinity for, let alone an understanding of, the traditionalism that grew up around it. Although I have spent a great deal of time in Arabic nations I will readily admit that I am like most Occidental narghile smokers in that I am largely ignorant of Arabic traditions and my love of narghiles has not spurred me on to seek a deep appreciation of other cultures. Still, it seems to me a mistake to view Western narghile use as a sign of either an infatuation with another culture or a rejection of Occidental civilization.

Rather, narghile use is first and foremost a means to delight one’s senses. The feel of a rich, full smoke lingering on the tongue. The feel, taste and smell of a high quality Tobamel, mu'essel, tumbāk3 or jurāk4 are experiences that drastically improve the quality of life. Aesthetics extend to the narghile itself as one comes not to just appreciate a lovely looking rig but the artistry of hand blown glass, spun metal and recognition of the skill and thought that goes into making every component needed to provide a superior smoking session.

To delight in craftsmanship that created a fine narghile or a traditional jurāk paste or way these things simulate the senses should not be viewed as a mindless trend to embrace the exotic, a rejection of the Occident nor a mere fad. Rather, it should be seen as embracing a life enriching hobby that thrills the senses and a love of fine craftsmanship.

1. Narghile – A single or multi-stemmed (often glass-based) water pipe device for smoking; originating in some part of the Middle East that has gained popularity, especially in the Arab World. A hookah (commonly misspelled as: hooka or huka) operates by water-filtration and indirect heat. It can be used for smoking many substances, such as herbal fruits and tobacco. Depending on locality, hookahs may be referred to by many other names (often of Arab, Indian, Turkish, Uzbek, or Persian origin). Arghile or Narghile is the name most commonly used in Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, Jordan, Turkey, Albania, Greece, Israel, Bulgaria and Romania, though the initial "n" is often dropped in Arabic.
2. Mu’essel - (as there are many ways of transliterating Arabic, the transliterated spelling of the word may vary), Arabic for, literally, honeyed, and is the name the "shisha tobacco" is labeled as by the arabic producers.
3. Tumbāk - is word of Turkish origin and refers simply to tobacco, not necessarily flavored or sweetened. The Persian word tumbeki and the Hindi/Urdu word Tumbako are similar.
4. Jurāk - mainly of Indian origin, might be considered as an intermediate substance between traditional sweetened tobaccos and the fruity hookah of modern times. The term applies both to a tobacco mixture that includes fruits or aromatic oils as well as tobacco that is just sweetened.

Definitions courtesy of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hookah

Last edited by hookahlife; December 4th, 2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old December 4th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Hajo has taught me a lot! He is very knowledgeable! .. and I consider him a great friend that I have made through our hobby and passion that we share for hookah/narghile!

Hajo is one of the first Members to join the Hookah Pro Community! Holy Crap, can you believe that Hajo!? Seems like only yesterday! You have taught me a lot my friend!

Old December 4th, 2008, 04:32 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Yeah, I'm also ripped often with my mis-speaking of names or what items called. Most of it is very rude and not fit to be reproduced here. I've tried explaining to a few of them that I go by the terms I've heard most frequesntly in MY country (USA) and for the most part try to only refer to the tobacco as tobacco cause i'm sick and (BEEPING) tired of people dizzing me (it's not the rips, it's the wordage and pyshical threats they seem to love tossing at me).

I wish my subscribers would defend, but I just delete the comments (and in some cases report them to Youtube). This is one of the reasons I haven't done many videos in the last few months... something I will be correcting very shortly, starting this weekend.
Old December 4th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammniamii View Post
Yeah, I'm also ripped often with my mis-speaking of names or what items called. Most of it is very rude and not fit to be reproduced here. I've tried explaining to a few of them that I go by the terms I've heard most frequesntly in MY country (USA) and for the most part try to only refer to the tobacco as tobacco cause i'm sick and (BEEPING) tired of people dizzing me (it's not the rips, it's the wordage and pyshical threats they seem to love tossing at me).

I wish my subscribers would defend, but I just delete the comments (and in some cases report them to Youtube). This is one of the reasons I haven't done many videos in the last few months... something I will be correcting very shortly, starting this weekend.
I hope to see you there soon sammn! and you know I got your back! You really produce some "HONEST" reviews and I love that about your videos!

It is very frustrating to receive the negative comments when we are trying to help and contribute to something we really enjoy! I do the same thing, I refer to maassel as tobacco .. just to avoid any ill comments. It is just that people here in the states call it shisha. Probably due to what I said above, about us getting lazy and calling it "shisha tobacco" first and then just referring to it as "shisha" and it just kinda stuck as the terminology here.

Last edited by Sambooka; December 4th, 2008 at 04:37 PM.
Old December 4th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Biloshambles
Hookah Nut

I saw that youtube comment today that someone left you, calling you an "amateur" ...I had to laugh
Old December 4th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Biloshambles
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninemillimeter View Post
well you may call them subs, theyre really called hoagies.
amateur. come to where I'm from and learn the proper names for sandwiches.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook