Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

What does it all mean!? Hookah, Shisha, Maassel, Tobamel, Narghile?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 4th, 2008, 06:26 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin
Default Re: What does it all mean!? Hookah, Shisha, Maassel, Tobamel, Narghile?

I agree w/ Hajo on this one. I almost exclusively reffer to the rig as a narghile,arghila, or a shisha(maybe I was traumatized after being screamed at when I tried to purchase my first "hookah" from a local Palestinian market. ''It's not a hookah!! IT'S A SHISHA!!!")LOL. And the tobacco is always moassel unless specified as a tombak or jurak, ect. I do this primarily out of respect for the tradition and history of our hobby(and it makes me sound like I know what I'm talking about.). But I'm well aware that here in the US 99% of folks will have no idea what I'm talking about.

Last edited by abu ronin; December 4th, 2008 at 06:28 PM.
Old December 4th, 2008, 06:31 PM
necco
Hookah Pro

Good post, but I think if someone referred to it as a "hubbly bubbly" I'd be inclined to punch them in the face.
Old December 4th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

i tihnk this is a pretty deep topic, and i kinda agree with Hajo, but you see saying Hookah and Shisha is just like a generic term. when used people know what your talking about. this is because many people arent as educated in Narghile, so in stead of explaining every little detail using simple well known terms like hookah and shisha justs makes everything alot easier, expecialy in the forums and as well for newcommers it makes their lives alot easier.
Old December 4th, 2008, 06:36 PM
reality-
Banned

I was one of thoose being confused in the beginning not because Ive never heard of hookah since Im from sweden and not US.. but to me it was/still-is confusing to reffer to tobacco as shisha... Id rather say just plain tobacco then using the word shisha for it since I first learned about waterpipe in general from a trip to tunisia and there shisha is the word for the hookah..
Old December 4th, 2008, 06:39 PM
necco
Hookah Pro

"waterpipe" has too much association with **** and such around here for me to use that word, but most people understand the description of "It's like a waterpipe."

Last edited by sammniamii; December 4th, 2008 at 06:52 PM. Reason: NO NHT references!
Old December 4th, 2008, 06:50 PM
reality-
Banned

when i talk to people like on just social talkings with people that I meet different places in my life journey, I have no problem saying waterpipe. In fact that is the word we use in sweden.. just staright "waterpipe" translated to swedish.. and some people associated it with drugs for a while, but people like me have been correcting them for a few years now so yeah.. Keep doing that people! Educate the non-educated! lol
Old December 5th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Fezzik Send a message via Yahoo to Fezzik

I am sure Shisha came from Shisha tobacco and got shortened because we used Hookah to describe the pipe so to us there was a difference. It actually bothers me to call it Shisha instead of Shisha tobacco. Partly because I know so many Egyptians. Hookah as I have said comes from British India. When the settlers came in they had a hard time adjusting to the water pipe. There were journal entries where they wrote about not liking the Hookahs and is there not a way to fit in without having to learn to smoke them. It was a social thing and so you do it. The American comes from that as I am sure it was the British who we first got it from or from British India. Obviously the fancy flavored tobaccos came from other places as we came to learn of them as Shisha tobacco.

I do have a problem with calling the tobacco Shisha because so many of the store owners and hookah smokers here come from cultures where that is a pipe and it seems to be a confusion. I also just prefer the term Shisha or hookah as a pipe probably because they are the two I hear most often. I struggled with terminology for a while. What will I call it and all that. I think like Samb does we live in America and Americans call it hookah. It seems pretentious to me to call it Shisha because well I am not Egyptian. I can when talking to my Egyptian friends but they know what I am talking about when I say hookah and I know what they are talking about when they say Shisha. I usually try to say Shisha out of respect though.

Question what are they called in Pakistan?
Old December 5th, 2008, 02:38 PM
tzighy
Hookah Nut

Send a message via Yahoo to tzighy

in Romania, the only term is "narghilea", derived from "narghile". the tobacco is just "tutun", the exact translation of "tobacco", or we use "aroma" which is the same as in your language
Old December 5th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Sweet I want to call the tobacco Aroma from now on.
Old December 5th, 2008, 03:40 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

Im indian and my mum always calls it hookah, but we indians call the whole experience hookah, not just the base, stem etc, smoking it with the shisha loaded and everything
Old December 5th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Gift3d
Hookah Nut

I call tobacco shisha, and call the actual pipe a hookah. I realize these are pretty common terms used in the states, but since joining HP i've also become familiar with a bunch of other names, the second most common being moassel/narghile, from what i've noticed. I just keep an open mind, accept the regional vocabulary differences, and i think it's nice to have a hobby that's enjoyed in all different parts of the world done in various different methods. It shouldn't be something subject to negative criticism, just a difference which you can learn from.
Old December 5th, 2008, 07:12 PM
HookahZombie
Hookah Newbie

thanx sambookah for turning me to hookapro.com, im a recent subscriber of your vids

danevondoom on youtube.

we really need some phonetic spellings to go with some of these names or as you mentioned; a video with accurate pronunciations.

i think i've been butchering some of this stuff.
i use:hookah, shisha, and tobamel to refer to most products/pipes just to be safe.
Old December 6th, 2008, 01:05 PM
onehourlater
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookahZombie View Post
thanx sambookah for turning me to hookapro.com, im a recent subscriber of your vids

danevondoom on youtube.

we really need some phonetic spellings to go with some of these names or as you mentioned; a video with accurate pronunciations.

i think i've been butchering some of this stuff.
i use:hookah, shisha, and tobamel to refer to most products/pipes just to be safe.
Yeah, we should have people with experience living in each culture send in a video of them saying all the terms from their language or culture starting with Sam and the American etc. I think it would be well received by more than just our community!
Old December 8th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehourlater View Post
Yeah, we should have people with experience living in each culture send in a video of them saying all the terms from their language or culture starting with Sam and the American etc. I think it would be well received by more than just our community!
Hmm Even if there are Americans posting I would be willing to post just because apparently mine is Christopherian which until now I had no idea was its own language.
Old December 9th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookahlife View Post
We asked Hajo to write an article for us regarding the tradition and history of hookah. Here is the link: http://www.hookah-life.com/events_13.htm
Thanks for posting the link. It's been a while and I bet a lot of people here haven't seen it. I enjoyed writing the articles for your site since people often overlook the meaning of the smoking rituals if it's considered at all. I'm also happy that the people I recommended to you site have been happy with the purchases they made.
Old December 9th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambooka View Post
Hajo has taught me a lot! He is very knowledgeable! .. and I consider him a great friend that I have made through our hobby and passion that we share for hookah/narghile!

Hajo is one of the first Members to join the Hookah Pro Community! Holy Crap, can you believe that Hajo!? Seems like only yesterday! You have taught me a lot my friend!
Thanks for that Samb. One thing I like about narghile stuff is that i'm always learning new stuff. When I think about all the people i've known that have forgotten more about this stuff then I know i'm just blown away.

Yeah you're right right Samb it's hard to believe that HP has been around so long. Backe then there was just a few of us and now look at the size of this place! Anyway, it's great to count you as a friend.
Old December 9th, 2008, 02:02 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Im used to calling it shisha for the whole thing, arghileh for the whole think, mo'assal for the tobacco or tombac depending what youre smoking

<---syrian

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old December 9th, 2008, 07:57 PM
TheHookahStore
Vendor

Where I learned to smoke the hookah they called the argile and that was one spelling you left out Not sure exactly where all they use that spelling but in Cyprus it is used and my friends that spelled it that way were Syrian.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook