Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

the Legal age of 18

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 6th, 2008, 12:55 AM
III_3_TDS_3_III
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to III_3_TDS_3_III
Default the Legal age of 18

now i am sure everyone is going to get mad about me talking about this, but i after reading/posting hookahninja's "cops have my hookah" i noticed everyone got mad at me after i expressed that i felt that i dont think its a big deal for kids under 18 to smoke tobacco. so the past couple days ive been thinking this... why. why do we smoke until our bodies cant handle anymore for the night but its considered wrong and looked down upon when a minor smokes. why is the age 18 to begin with im guessing some will say because when they are an adult they can choose to make a choice of bad health, but then its ok to give them a license at the age of 16? where they are not only putting there own health at risk but others as well.

i apologize to the people who get mad about the feelings i have on this subject but i cant get this out of my head
Old December 6th, 2008, 01:05 AM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416
Default Re: the Legal age of 18

i been smoking cigareets since 13 or 14.. and you ask any1 know grand parents or anytihng that smoke and they would be like yea i been smoking since i was like 11 or 12.. like yeah its wrong why risk your health.. but really i agree with the whole linsence statement.
Old December 6th, 2008, 01:47 AM
Gift3d
Hookah Nut

I'm willing to say all kids in high school who smoke hookah/cigarettes, strictly do it to look cool. When i was in high school anyone who smoked had to make sure EVERYONE knew, be obnoxious about it, and do some ridiculous shit to seem cool whilst doing it. Not because they enjoyed smoking, because it was like a fashion statement. Most of them did it so wrong anyways.

Whereas someone older and wiser most likely has more mature thoughts and is more likely choose to smoke because it's something they truly get enjoyment out of, not solely how it makes them look to their peers. This is a generalization of course. Simply making the more logical choice. Now this has nothing to do with the laws and whatnot, just how i see it and what i think when i see kids smoking, mostly cigarettes but a bunch of 14 year olds with hookahs while i was on stickam also.
Old December 6th, 2008, 02:01 AM
thug-n-harmony
Hookah Newbie

i dont think thats 100% true. sure most kids START smoking to look cool, but, and im speaking for myself and my friends, we honestly enjoyed smoking
Old December 6th, 2008, 04:11 AM
tzighy
Hookah Nut

Send a message via Yahoo to tzighy

i honestly believe it doesn't matter. if it's illegal, kids still get to buy cigs and stuff, if not, parents still forbid it and kids still get cigs.
Old December 6th, 2008, 04:27 AM
PCServe
Hookah Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to PCServe Send a message via MSN to PCServe Send a message via Skype™ to PCServe

Quote:
Originally Posted by III_3_TDS_3_III View Post
why is the age 18 to begin with im guessing some will say because when they are an adult they can choose to make a choice of bad health, but then its ok to give them a license at the age of 16?
well, here in germany we were allowed to smoke with the age of 16 until 2007. they changed the laws up to 18. I dont know why, but it is not a big deal. you can buy everything, if you are younger. i also never had a problem, ordering tobacco from the USA. no one asked for a copy of the passport or identity card, like they sometimes do it here.

another question: why cant you drink alcohol before your 21 birthday
guess thats more pointless. alcohol is less harmful, than tobacco. i can buy beer, wine and stuff like that since im 16 and vodka, whiskey and other "hard" liquids since i am 18.

i think its just a problem of our modern world
e.g. in eastern europe, you can buy everything with, lets say, 8 years, it depends on the tip, you give to the vendor. (i didnt want to say eastern europe isnt modern, but law there is much different and you can do nearly everything there)
Old December 6th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Quote:
why do we smoke until our bodies cant handle anymore for the night but its considered wrong and looked down upon when a minor smokes. why is the age 18 to begin with im guessing some will say because when they are an adult they can choose to make a choice of bad health, but then its ok to give them a license at the age of 16? where they are not only putting there own health at risk but others as well.
I have never smoked until my body couldn't handle it. That is ridiculous behavior. Laws are laws, whether we agree with them or not really doesn't matter. Thankfully some states are considering raising the age you can drive a car to 17 or 18.
Old December 6th, 2008, 07:35 AM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

well, even if you take it culturally, in the middle east most of the people smoke narguile from the age of 15...
But laws are laws and they are there for a reason.
Old December 6th, 2008, 10:27 AM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Write your senator.
Old December 6th, 2008, 11:39 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

they have ages to regulate stuff. the us has put alcohol at 21 because they think that is a safe age to start consuming it with all the developmental crap, were other countries think 16 or 18 is fine. same kind of idea with smoking along with the whole adult thing, it also makes it easier for parents to control their kids actions (how hard is it to keep a small child from eating what they want, think how hard it would be to stop a teenager to not smoke if it was legal for them to do so).

now they way some places laws are written you can smoke if you are under 18 its just you cannot buy it, its a really stupid weird loop hole some places have.

i get the age restrictions but i think 21 for alcohol is illogical compared to the smoking thing, at least for highschool there are not a whole lot of 18 year olds (ya but we all know its still easy to get tobacco) but in college half the students are 21 or older so alcohol is easier to get that water some times.

i think most of the age and legality of substances in general should get tossed out and just stated as a whole that anything but tobacco cannot be consumed or under the influence of when driving or any of that stuff and just put them all as DUI/DWIs. save a lot of money on all the bs and make stuff safer
-matt
Old December 6th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Biloshambles
Hookah Nut

Quote:
now i am sure everyone is going to get mad about me talking about this, but i after reading/posting hookahninja's "cops have my hookah" i noticed everyone got mad at me after i expressed that i felt that i dont think its a big deal for kids under 18 to smoke tobacco. so the past couple days ive been thinking this... why. why do we smoke until our bodies cant handle anymore for the night but its considered wrong and looked down upon when a minor smokes. why is the age 18 to begin with im guessing some will say because when they are an adult they can choose to make a choice of bad health, but then its ok to give them a license at the age of 16? where they are not only putting there own health at risk but others as well.

i apologize to the people who get mad about the feelings i have on this subject but i cant get this out of my head
first off, I agree with you. I think the only reason (maybe?) that people get upset is simply because "its the law" kind of like "cops don't make the laws, they just enforce them" ...just my three cents
Old December 6th, 2008, 02:19 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

In highschool everyone who smoked did it to look cool/older/cool & older lol. And it was all cigs, only my close friends even knew I smoked hookah.

There was this kid i knew the air force who loved to smoke so much he'd smoke like 3 cigs at once, just to show how much he loved it and how cool he was. He was a tool.

laws are there for a reason, and the system is in place for you to change said laws. Cops have to enforce laws, thats their job, they're not supposed to pick and choose.

I started early, I won't lie, but I know if my dad knew he'd have kicked my ass, not cause its illegal but cause he's a lung doctor

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old December 6th, 2008, 02:28 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

I don't think anyone personally cares, but it's the law, period. I starting smoking hookah at 16 as well, but I wasn't under 18 when I joined this forum. That's what it's about. You can smoke all you want under 18, good for you, but the law in the US is legally 18, 19 in some states like mine, and we don't want under-age people, who are saying they are doing something illegal, on the forum. There's lots of other "smoking" forums out there for you to join no matter what age.

By law, a until you are a minor you cannot make your own decisions because you have bad judgement. I don't judge people who smoke under 16, if they wanna smoke a hookah that's great. But on the forum the rules state you must be 18.

This same argument can be used for abortion, joining the army, buying adult films...etc. The list goes on man.

Ohh and if someone is 16, and I send them tobacco in a trade, that's illegal and I will get in legal trouble all because some kid is a little liar.

Last edited by ZenSilk; December 6th, 2008 at 02:32 PM.
Old December 6th, 2008, 02:34 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post

This same argument can be used for abortion, joining the army, buying adult films...etc. The list goes on man.
The reason privates get so much shit is because most of them are 17-18

as for abortion oye, i dont wanna start that one.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old December 6th, 2008, 02:35 PM
III_3_TDS_3_III
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to III_3_TDS_3_III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkel View Post
I have never smoked until my body couldn't handle it. That is ridiculous behavior. Laws are laws, whether we agree with them or not really doesn't matter. Thankfully some states are considering raising the age you can drive a car to 17 or 18.

maybe not but if you wanted to you could
Old December 6th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Ekove
Hookah Nut

For the same reason a 20 years old can't date a 16 years old, but a 60 years old can date a 18 years old.

Not all laws make sense, but it's much easier to make generalized laws when it comes to these things. Kids might not be mature enough to understand how much to smoke or the dangers of smoking or they might pass it to people who are even younger and so on. I think it could be moved down to 16, though 18 sounds official.

Personally I've been smoking since I was 14, in the middle east those rules aren't very enforced.
Old December 6th, 2008, 03:37 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

hey theres a big difference from 16 and 18.

and robbing the cradle is fine, but i was more of a cougar hunter myself.

Old December 6th, 2008, 05:39 PM
ShishaBubbly
Banned

The rules are made by people so many years over 18 that they think they were born at age 35. I'm 56 soon but don't forget what it's like to be 15. So get a friend to order for you.
Old December 6th, 2008, 07:11 PM
TheHookahStore
Vendor

The only reason I am against underage hookah smokers is because as a vendor, it can get me in trouble. The lawmakers are doing everything they can to make it difficult for underage tobacco buyers. We don't want them to tighten the laws anymore making it more difficult to provide tobacco online. When people lie about their age to purchase tobacco, it makes a bad name for the online tobacco industry and could possibly lead to the end of it.
Old December 6th, 2008, 11:13 PM
dragonman586
Hookah Pro

Laws are in place for a reason. But what you do within the discretion of your home is your business. Its just that this forum has to protect itself by no condoning underage smoking!
Old December 6th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Liszt
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCServe View Post
well, here in germany we were allowed to smoke with the age of 16 until 2007. they changed the laws up to 18. I dont know why, but it is not a big deal. you can buy everything, if you are younger. i also never had a problem, ordering tobacco from the USA. no one asked for a copy of the passport or identity card, like they sometimes do it here.

another question: why cant you drink alcohol before your 21 birthday
guess thats more pointless. alcohol is less harmful, than tobacco. i can buy beer, wine and stuff like that since im 16 and vodka, whiskey and other "hard" liquids since i am 18.

i think its just a problem of our modern world
e.g. in eastern europe, you can buy everything with, lets say, 8 years, it depends on the tip, you give to the vendor. (i didnt want to say eastern europe isnt modern, but law there is much different and you can do nearly everything there)
Alcohol is a lot more dangerous. Cigs don't nec. affect your judgement, alcohol does. Even adults act like because they were drunk what they did the other night wasn't their fault. if a minor drinks, oh god.
Old December 6th, 2008, 11:35 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

whether you like it or not, at 18 you are gonna be stupid w/ alcohol in the US.

its just the way it is.

Old December 7th, 2008, 12:06 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolinger View Post
whether you like it or not, at 18 you are gonna be stupid w/ alcohol in the US.

its just the way it is.
agreed but its a lot of how the person was introduced to it and raised with it.

i dated an exchange student who was from the czech republic and she said that even though it was legal there they had a lot of the crazy stuff we have here.

i was always raised with my parents telling me if i wanted to drink i could drink at home i just couldnt leave after, and i was always fine with that, then again my parents gave me enough rope that when they said no to things i accepted it

-matt
Old December 7th, 2008, 04:53 AM
PCServe
Hookah Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to PCServe Send a message via MSN to PCServe Send a message via Skype™ to PCServe

i would understand, if you could drink with 18. but 21? you are an adult with 18, but you doesnt have the same rights, as a 30yo? thats weird. with 18 here, i can do everything, a 60yo can do, too (excepting borrow from a bank, cuz i dont have enough securities for it)

anyway, its offtopic
Old December 7th, 2008, 09:31 AM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

I believe that the reason drinking and smoking gets so much attention in the US from miors is that its illegal. Here the legal smoking and drinking age is 16. AS somebody said, most of the teens smoking do it so they look cool (because its illegal), if its legal then its not something special for them so they wont smoke...
I remember many of my schoolmates smoked when they were 13-14 and stopped when they became 16. I dont think thats a coincidence.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook