Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

the Legal age of 18

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 7th, 2008, 05:45 PM
shishasmoke1904
Hookah Nut

Default Re: the Legal age of 18

the tobacco laws are pointless,back in high school all the freshman,sophmores, and even juniors would have the seniors buy them cigs, dip, and smoking utensils. Some places even sell to minors.
Old December 7th, 2008, 06:01 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishasmoke1904 View Post
the tobacco laws are pointless,back in high school all the freshman,sophmores, and even juniors would have the seniors buy them cigs, dip, and smoking utensils. Some places even sell to minors.
i was pissed when i didnt get carded on my 18th, then i though, damn could gotten it for a while
-matt
Old December 8th, 2008, 01:31 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishasmoke1904 View Post
If I was a mass murderer I could say that about the laws pertaining to murder.

My point being: Just because laws are broken doesn't make them pointless.
Old December 8th, 2008, 02:00 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
If I was a mass murderer I could say that about the laws pertaining to murder.

My point being: Just because laws are broken doesn't make them pointless.
i think the point was that no matter what they will break the laws and if they are caught its a "tisk tisk" maybe a slap on the wrist and thats it. not very effective deterrent, and even with harsher punishments i dont think it would stop many

-matt
Old December 8th, 2008, 08:39 PM
SkylineGTR
Hookah Nut

I tried hookah back when I was...16 or 17... never got back into until I was 18 though. Pretty much everyone at the high school I went to had either a hookah, or a friend with a hookah.
Old December 8th, 2008, 10:06 PM
RushN24
Hookah Nut

You would have to agree that hookah tobacco, available in such sweet fruity flavors inherently engages a younger market. Though it might or might not be intended. Several cigarette companies in fact (RJR for example) have experimented with all kinds of novelty ideas to attract younger smokers; mainly various fruity and/or minty flavors. It is a lot smoother than other tobacco varieties which also makes it a lot easier for kids to handle. And lastly although some of us try and enjoy the complexities and various dynamic flavors and characteristics of the smoke, with hookah its not necessarily compulsory to enjoy it. Essentially what I mean is that through it's sweet, mellow, and relatively straightforward smoke, hookah tobacco, whether incidental or intended, naturaly appeals to younger markets.
Old December 8th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Sykotik
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Sykotik Send a message via MSN to Sykotik Send a message via Yahoo to Sykotik

First off Alcohol should be legal at the age of 18. If you can Enlist in the army and die for you're country at 18, i think you deserve a fuckin beer!

And hookah..as a middle eastern its not a big deal at all. 14-16 is normal starting age lol.
Old December 8th, 2008, 11:27 PM
ByronSA
Hookah Pro

if you can't drink at 18 then the age to enlist should be raised to 21
Old December 8th, 2008, 11:50 PM
QuakeHookah
Hookah Nut

I think that if you start drinking at a young age, liquor is not an exciting new thing that you want to go crazy with as soon as you turn 21. So instead of making kids wait till that age why not make it younger so they dont go crazy when they are legal age. Also i agree with shishaholic about looking cool they also do it because its a law. The stupid laws are destroying kids lives less structure is more sometimes.
Old December 9th, 2008, 09:44 AM
III_3_TDS_3_III
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to III_3_TDS_3_III

i think by having both ages up high the government makes it seem like a forbidden fruit to kids
Old December 9th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Fezzik Send a message via Yahoo to Fezzik

Several College presidents are pushing for the legal drinking age to be lowered to 18 as well. the idea being that the trend is for underagers to binge at parties during college and when you are 21 you go nuts but only for about a semester then you settle in and move on. The novelty wears off. The idea is if you lower the drinking age then the summer between high-school and college will be the stupid with alcohol thing and by the time you make it to college you may have a semester or so where you just go crazy with it because of all the freedom but for the most part you won't because well by then what is the point it isn't forbidden you can just get a beer with dinner or party with your friends or whatever and it cuts back on all that. I don't know whether they are right or not but a lot of very smart people think so. I think 18 is a legitimate age for the smoking. There are biological reasons for it but more so turning 18 is a rite of passage a big deal. You probably should be able to smoke and drink and own property and all the benefits of making it to our societies rite to adulthood which is less a rite as just a passage. The world gets dumped on you when you are 18 and mommy and daddy can no longer take resposibility for you. If you do something stupid they may bail you out or help bail you out but it doesn't fall on them any more. So I think that should be the age for all that.
Old December 9th, 2008, 03:23 PM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
For the same reason a 20 years old can't date a 16 years old, but a 60 years old can date a 18 years old.
Not true, read more. There is a close in age exemption in many jurisdictions, sometimes if the difference is less than 5 years in age and sometimes if it is 10, it's OK. Meaning if one partner is below age of consent, and the other is above it, but age diff is less than X years defined by law, it is OK in this case. For example, couples in high school where one partner is older and becomes 18 a year or two before the other does.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_...age_exemptions
Old December 9th, 2008, 03:35 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Egyptian View Post
Not true, read more. There is a close in age exemption in many jurisdictions, sometimes if the difference is less than 5 years in age and sometimes if it is 10, it's OK. Meaning if one partner is below age of consent, and the other is above it, but age diff is less than X years defined by law, it is OK in this case. For example, couples in high school where one partner is older and becomes 18 a year or two before the other does.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_...age_exemptions
usually its only 3 or so years though in most states, IIRC va has one of the largest ones at 4 years but i cant remember. honestly though 16 and 20 is a little sketchy, even 16 and 19 is kinda iffy, IMHO just because the priorities of the people are much different a 16year old is worried about the prom where a 19 year old is either worried about making money to live or getting a carrier going/in school to get a carrier going.

-matt
Old December 9th, 2008, 08:19 PM
III_3_TDS_3_III
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezzik View Post
Several College presidents are pushing for the legal drinking age to be lowered to 18 as well. the idea being that the trend is for underagers to binge at parties during college and when you are 21 you go nuts but only for about a semester then you settle in and move on. The novelty wears off. The idea is if you lower the drinking age then the summer between high-school and college will be the stupid with alcohol thing and by the time you make it to college you may have a semester or so where you just go crazy with it because of all the freedom but for the most part you won't because well by then what is the point it isn't forbidden you can just get a beer with dinner or party with your friends or whatever and it cuts back on all that. I don't know whether they are right or not but a lot of very smart people think so. I think 18 is a legitimate age for the smoking. There are biological reasons for it but more so turning 18 is a rite of passage a big deal. You probably should be able to smoke and drink and own property and all the benefits of making it to our societies rite to adulthood which is less a rite as just a passage. The world gets dumped on you when you are 18 and mommy and daddy can no longer take resposibility for you. If you do something stupid they may bail you out or help bail you out but it doesn't fall on them any more. So I think that should be the age for all that.
i read this somewhere and actually thought it was a very good idea however im guessing that the main problem here would be that if 18 year olds were aloud to buy alcohol it would be even easier for even younger crowds to get
Old December 10th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by III_3_TDS_3_III View Post
i read this somewhere and actually thought it was a very good idea however im guessing that the main problem here would be that if 18 year olds were aloud to buy alcohol it would be even easier for even younger crowds to get
I think that is one of the major arguments against it. I think they have a good point. Hell it isn't as though high school kids have that hard a time getting alcohol anyway. I can't imagine it being that much easier if the age was lowered to 18.
Old December 10th, 2008, 10:47 AM
III_3_TDS_3_III
Hookah Nut

it seems like no matter what substance or what age minors will easily be able to get their hands on it
Old December 10th, 2008, 10:53 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
it seems like no matter what substance or what age minors will easily be able to get their hands on it
exactly, im mean for god sake in highschool i could literally get any illegal substance with one or 2 calls (i didnt cause that crap never looked appealing to me) but no one can legally get most of that stuff but its easy as crap to get its not going to be any harder to get things that are legal to buy at older ages

either way if they lower the age there will be a period of craziness that will have to be ignored in saying if it was a good or bad choice, honestly i expect that to be 6 months for 3 years of crazy drinking but after that i would expect it would be much better
-matt
Old December 10th, 2008, 11:33 AM
III_3_TDS_3_III
Hookah Nut

true ^^^ however i can still see where fezzik is coming with his point with the college presidents if kids use that last summer after high school to go crazy they would get it out of the way before college. i know for a fact the semester of college when i turned 21 suffered (grade wise, of course it was fun)
Old December 10th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Yeah at most a semester or so would suffer right at the start. A bit of academic probation and your parents coming down on you cause they aren't paying for you to party blah blah blah and bingo back on track drinking like a normal person. Of course one of their points is that it would cut down on Alcoholism and I am not sure that would be true. Their point is they basically have access to it for a while before they can buy it legally so they go nuts whenever they can binge enough at anything and addict you become. I don't know that lowering the age will help that but I do know that it isn't illegal for someone over 18 to be in possession of alcohol only to buy it in TN so if they lower the age to 18 for buying it and crack down harder on the whole possession under 18 then it could help a bit.
Old December 10th, 2008, 01:03 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
true ^^^ however i can still see where fezzik is coming with his point with the college presidents if kids use that last summer after high school to go crazy they would get it out of the way before college. i know for a fact the semester of college when i turned 21 suffered (grade wise, of course it was fun)
o no i totally agree, i think an age for alcohol is stupid, im from an italian family on my mom side and ive had wine with diner since i was rather young, its not a big deal to me, ya i enjoy a few now and then to get a heavy buzz but i really dont like getting drunk and i think its because it was never the thing i couldnt touch. heck when we went out to eat and i ordered tea to drink my grandma looked at me and said "o our not going to have wine matthew?" and i just kind of laughed and said "remember im not 21 grandma" and then she remembered that out in public i couldnt get alcohol.

-matt
Old December 10th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

I fully support the 18 legal age for tobacco use.

The reason I support these laws are that until you are 18 (the age of accountability), your welfare is the responsibility of the parents or guardians. Until that time they are responsible for your health, and have the right to manage your health risks.

If your parents buy your tobacco and you smoke it at home behind closed doors.... well...its against the law... but its also not my business at that point either.
Old December 10th, 2008, 04:31 PM
fashow69
Hookah Nut

well I think 18 is fine for smoking but I think it should be that way for alcohol too because the fact that its illegal makes kids want to do it because its "cool" so if you can get alcohol at 18 you just get your shit, drink it, have fun, and be done with it before you hit college or whatever also I strongly believe in the fact that if you can join the army and die for your country you should be able to buy a drink period. oh I also hate when you are underage you almost allways get carded but as soon as you hit 18 they never card you? wtf? I remember when I turned 18 I went and bought some cigs for the hell of it ( i dont smoke cigs) and the fucker didnt even card me? wtf? oh wells i guess...
Old December 10th, 2008, 06:50 PM
III_3_TDS_3_III
Hookah Nut

yeah i dont ever get carded for tobacco but for alcohol everyone seems to card me maybe i look young or maybe they just come down harder on that
Old December 10th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
yeah i dont ever get carded for tobacco but for alcohol everyone seems to card me maybe i look young or maybe they just come down harder on that
Yea, i work at a grocery store and they have a system where you have to input the alcohol buyers birth date into a computer to bypass the little "check ID" popup on the screen. But you dont need to do that for smokes....Yes, the legal age for drinking should be 18, but they should also make the consequences more strict for underage usage below 18. That way, there is more of a consequece for high schoolers trying to score some alcohol, but you still can get it if you are 18.
Old December 11th, 2008, 05:50 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCServe View Post
another question: why cant you drink alcohol before your 21 birthday
guess thats more pointless. alcohol is less harmful, than tobacco. i can buy beer, wine and stuff like that since im 16 and vodka, whiskey and other "hard" liquids since i am 18.
Alcohol isn't any less dangerous than tobacco, it's addicting, can kill (and will in large enough doses or long enough use) and kills MORE NON-USERS than ciggys (2nd hand smoke). Think how many people are killed by drunk drivers - many of the DUI'ers are fine in the accidents while it kills the unfortunate people they wrecked into.

As horrible as it seems - Rules are in place for a reason. The legal age may differ between locations, but it's there for a reason.

And even although a 16 (15-3/4'er yr old) may get a permit or a license, they still have MASSIVE limits to what they are allowed (Many states in the USA). A Permit only allows driving w/ a licensed driver and NO OTHERS. In some places, even if you have a license they won't allow a second "under 18" person in the car with a "under age" driver. Heck - even VA makes all people under 21 face a different direction on the silly license.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook