Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

New to Hookah...few questions

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 6th, 2008, 03:24 PM
sobedragon
Hookah Newbie

Question New to Hookah...few questions

Hello,

My girlfriend bought me a hookah for my birthday, so I'm pretty new to all this stuff. I had a couple of questions, and was hoping I could get some insight here.

During one of our smoke sessions, my hookah was almost working too well. There was so much smoke in the base, that I could barely inhale it without getting a burning sensation. I figured out that if I removed the charcoal from the top for a few minutes, it died down and it let me smoke enjoyably again. My question(s) is this. Why did that happen? What's the best way to prevent that from happening again?

Does shisha tobacco expire? The reason I ask is because after one of our smoking sessions the other night, my girlfriend got very sick and nauseas. I was ok, but a little dizzy. We smoked a pina colada flavored tobacco (and we have smoked this before) but this time seemed a bit different. What would cause nausea while smoking?

What is the best way to store tobacco? Currently, I leave it in a ziplock baggie, which is in a tupperware container, in a drawer in my room. I'm not if it should be stored at room temp or in a fridge.

That's all I got for right now. If I think of anything else, I'll post it up here. Thanks for any advice/insight.
Old December 6th, 2008, 03:28 PM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KillerB Send a message via MSN to KillerB
Default Re: New to Hookah...few questions

Your pipe wasn't working too well, you were burning your tobacco! Your shisha got too hot and then srted to burn instead of bake. Thats when you remove the heat and blow all the smoke out of the base and hose, and then return the heat, with fewer coals, or just place them on the edge of your bowl.

and shisha is generally good for a couple years from my understanding, it was probably just the nicotine. Had she eaten prior to the session?

and your storage method seems legit. mine is about the same thing. Close enough anyways.

Last edited by KillerB; December 6th, 2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old December 6th, 2008, 03:34 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

During one of our smoke sessions, my hookah was almost working too well. There was so much smoke in the base, that I could barely inhale it without getting a burning sensation. I figured out that if I removed the charcoal from the top for a few minutes, it died down and it let me smoke enjoyably again. My question(s) is this. Why did that happen? What's the best way to prevent that from happening again?

Heat management is something mentioned a lot here. If its killing you, then you are probably burning it your tobacco. Make sure the coals are at the edge and rotate them around the bowl.

Does shisha tobacco expire? The reason I ask is because after one of our smoking sessions the other night, my girlfriend got very sick and nauseas. I was ok, but a little dizzy. We smoked a pina colada flavored tobacco (and we have smoked this before) but this time seemed a bit different. What would cause nausea while smoking?

tobacco lasts a while, but after 2 years it might get a tad dry...
nicotine will make you nauseous. flavors can make you sick too.

What is the best way to store tobacco? Currently, I leave it in a ziplock baggie, which is in a tupperware container, in a drawer in my room. I'm not if it should be stored at room temp or in a fridge.

perfect, room temp.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old December 6th, 2008, 03:34 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

You burned your tobacco, and it got harsh. And you did the right thing. Use less coal next time. Or use a windcover.
Old December 6th, 2008, 03:39 PM
mr2guy
Hookah Nut

If you don't let the coal become completly ashed over you could be inhaling some fumes from the charcoal which can lead to sickness.
Old December 6th, 2008, 03:57 PM
hookahlife
Vendor

Send a message via ICQ to hookahlife Send a message via AIM to hookahlife

[FONT=Verdana]Hey Sobedragon,[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]The "stale" smoke you were inhaling could be caused by a lot of things most notably:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]1. You placed the charcoal on the bowl before it was fully light, and inhaled some of the chemical fuels that it was coated with, a common rookie mistake.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]2. You over packed the bowl, making the foil directly touch the tobacco, causing it to burn way too quickly. Rule of thumb, always allow a 1/8 of an inch between the tobacco and the foil to allow for sag when the coal is placed on top.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]3. You packed the bowl too tightly, instead of fluffing the tobacco around to allow for better airflow, causing it to burn on top and releasing stale smoke into the chamber.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]4. You let the smoke settle in the base for too long between smokes. This can be easily fixed by blowing into the hose and using the release valve to purge the hookah of the stale smoke. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Regarding the nausea...if you're new to smoking or hookah smoking than this will happen due to the lack of oxygen your body is inhaling, making you feel lightheaded. Additionally if you were dehydrated/hungry the smoke would cause discomfort in your system. My recommendation is don't smoke on an empty stomach and keep yourself hydrated during the session with liquids (hookah and tea/coffee go hand-in-hand like peanut butter and jelly!)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Your storage method for shisha is just fine. I personally don't recommend storing it in a fridge/freezer as this will dry it out.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Hope this helps! Good luck on your future sessions and welcome to the community!!![/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Eugene [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Hookah Life[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][/FONT]
Old December 6th, 2008, 04:00 PM
sobedragon
Hookah Newbie

Cool thanks for the info guys.

Eugene:
Thanks for your information.
I was careful to not over pack the bowl, or to pack it too tightly. I think your first suggestion is what happened, which has made me question my method of getting the charcoal going...I think I might be doing it wrong.

What type of coal do you recommend? I'm using 3 kings charcoal.

So, it was burning instead of baking...I see. What's the best method for charcoal placement then? Currently, the charcoal i use comes in one big brisket, which I light up, then put on the tin foil. I saw this one guy on the internet use this stick of charcoal which he broke into 3 pieces, then arranged it in a triangle form on top of the foil. What's your method?

Either way, I think I'm doing something wrong. When you say "fully light" do you mean that it's white/gray instead of black?

Last edited by sobedragon; December 6th, 2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old December 6th, 2008, 04:24 PM
hookahlife
Vendor

Send a message via ICQ to hookahlife Send a message via AIM to hookahlife

[FONT=Verdana]I personally use 3-kings more than any other charcoal. When I first started smoking they were the coals I started with, and although I've tried numerous coals (from quick lights, to silver coated briquettes, to naturals), I mostly stick to three kings. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]It really depends on what tobacco you're using and the type of bowl you have. For example:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]1. Traditional Egyptian bowl: I use one three kings charcoal in 1 solid piece, and place it around the edges, I move it along the perimeter during the session, and finally place it in the middle for the last few minutes.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]2. Tangiers Phunnel: Either 1 three king broken in half, or 2 coconut/silver coated briquettes placed around the perimeter, and rotated frequently.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I also use a wind cover to manage heat. The biggest mistake I've seen from beginners is adding more charcoal onto the bowl when the original one starts ashing over and losing heat. This not only takes up more surface area (and burns more tobacco) but it restricts airflow as well. This is where a wind cover comes in handy; just by placing it over the bowl you give yourself less heat loss and allows you to stay with that original coal for a longer period of time.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]When you're lighting the charcoal, it will first spark up all around. After it's done sparking, I use a lighter to give off some heat all around the charcoal, and then I lightly blow on it, until its red hot all over (i.e. no black spots). I will usually wait till it has a light layer of white ash on top, and then I'll place it on the bowl.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I think this should clarify some things for you.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Eugene[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Hookah Life[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][/FONT]
Old December 6th, 2008, 06:15 PM
sobedragon
Hookah Newbie

Very helpful. Thank you =)
Old December 6th, 2008, 06:37 PM
TheHookahStore
Vendor

So far all replies I have seen are correct. use proper heat management, don't use too much coal, and always make sure your coals are completely white on all sides before using them. This is very important especially if you are using quick lights as they are coated with chemicals to help them light so easily/quickly.

Also it is good to hydrate yourself, preferably with water while you are smoking. I have to disagree with the comment about using coffee as that dehydrates you and so does the shisha.

I think we all started out learning these things the hard way when we were new hookah smokers. Your sessions should improve as you learn the proper techniques.
Old December 6th, 2008, 08:20 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

I prefer using natural coals, however, I do use QL's now and then

as for naturals, I use ******* hookah coals and coconara

as for quicklights, only ******* hookah. They taste like the natties.

Once you go to naturals and go back to quick lights you WILL notice the difference.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook