Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

choosing shisha

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 7th, 2008, 10:23 PM
emu103
Hookah Newbie

Default choosing shisha

i started smoking shisha a little while ago, i had a 18 inch mya, and got a leila a few weeks ago.

i really havent found the right brand of shisha for me though.

i bought hookah-hookah and al waha from a local shop and they are both trash imo.

my local hookah bar serves al fakher, and i am pleased with it.
and i ordered 5- 50 gram boxes of romman tobacco with my leila
i really like the blueberry.

but my question is this.
ive never smoked any tobacco products my entire life until now. and the buzz i get is sickening. i know there must be a adjustment time because im not used to nicotene, but in the meantime is there any high quality, loww nicotene buzz tobbacco brands out there that anyone can reccomend?
i dont mind spending money on quality tobacco, ive always been the person to spend the extra money to get what i want.
Old December 7th, 2008, 10:28 PM
jayrunner89
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jayrunner89
Default Re: choosing shisha

well af and roman are good stuff u might also want to try some starbuzz too, but u might want to make sure that ur coals are fully lit before u start smoking cuz if not that could be giving u a headache
Old December 7th, 2008, 10:31 PM
babaganoush123
Hookah Nut

that happend to me to. did you eat something before you smoked? because you are suppose to eat something an 1hour or less before you smoke.
Old December 7th, 2008, 10:31 PM
emu103
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrunner89 View Post
well af and roman are good stuff u might also want to try some starbuzz too, but u might want to make sure that ur coals are fully lit before u start smoking cuz if not that could be giving u a headache
well i usually smoke my leila, so i light the coal and leave it for about 2-3 minutes before smoking so everything heats up.
yea, i hit a lighting coal when i first set up my own hookah. i learned my lesson.

anybody tried fumari?
well even with the headaches, i smoke quite a bit.
probably 2-3 times a few days of the week.
Old December 7th, 2008, 10:37 PM
ChronicHookah
Banned

i would try a real hookah, the liela is made to be portable and could be hard to manage heat. get a traditional hookah and have at it. also, you are right in getting af, the other 2 brands, i feel the same way as you. like J said above try some SB as well, or maybe some lucid tangiers too, but my first reco would be to get another hookah.
John
Old December 7th, 2008, 10:42 PM
emu103
Hookah Newbie

i have a mya qt as well. that one really gets me, i guess because the smoke is soo much thicker in the mya. my leila actually helps being that it smokes so little
Old December 7th, 2008, 10:48 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

the leila is more of a novelty, for practical use, another hookah is better.

as for shisha, all the above mentioned are great.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old December 7th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

Yea, i used to feel sick when i smoked, but it was from the quicklight coals i had, they were super cheap. Then i switched to natural coals and i have never felt that sickness again...
Old December 8th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Ekove
Hookah Nut

Well, if you want less buzz make sure you eat/drink something before you smoke. Use natural coals if you have a stove, it's really worth that extra effort. I used to smoke with QL's and when I went back to them after a week of trying naturals I almost puked. Make sure the coals are fully lit and don't use too much heat (put less coals with a windcover and let the tobacco heat for the first 5 minutes). And obviously don't chain smoke, give it 20-60 seconds between each good pull. Also I hope your leila isn't your main hookah...

Now for brands...Romman in my opinion is trash for it's price. I tried so hard to love that brand but it just didn't work. I tried around 10 flavors, and only Banana split and watermelon were decent. Their berries are not bad but not the best. Also Romman gives a strong buzz in my opinion.

Alfakher is great (even though they haven't been very reliable in the past 2 years). I hear a lot about Nakhla but don't recommend it myself since it gives a sickening buzz from my experience.

My favorite brand is Fumrai, strong flavor, mild buzz, smooth smoke. A little pricy though, but definitley worth it. Their flavors that I recommend are:
Strawberry
Blueberry
Lemon Mint
Mango
Black Cherry

or just check their site for reviews.
Old December 8th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Liszt
Hookah Pro

If you're looking for a great unparalleled smoke when it comes to typical fruit flavors look no further than Romman. Romman makes an exceptional Nectarine, Banana, Sweet Melon and Peach. Their Mint is the strongest and most flavorful mint i've smoked to date, and their cinnamon is unrivaled. The infamous prunes + cola mix is to die for, as well as the cherry + cola mix. Romman is where I started and the only thing I can say bad about them is avoid their mixed fruit/double apple.

You need a real hookah, Leila is just for smoking at stoplights or in the backseat of a long road trip. You should check out ********** and pick out a hookah that would suit you the best.
Old December 8th, 2008, 03:44 AM
CPill
Hookah Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to CPill

it could be the hookah as some of the other members have mentioned. but it may not be a "buzz", maybe more of just a light headed sensation?
but if it is a "buzz", then the tobacco i'd recommend would be: AF, SB and fumari.
those are the only brands that i can recommend, though my experience with different types/flavors of tobacco is a bit limited
Old December 8th, 2008, 04:09 AM
Biloshambles
Hookah Nut

1) stay hydrated, drink water!
2) as mentioned, make sure your coals are fully lit, and don't use quicklights, unless they are the ******* hookah ql's, stick with nats.
3) eat something before smoking
Old December 8th, 2008, 08:39 AM
ninemillimeter
Hookah Nut

look into washed tobaccos. al-amir is a good light one that i get NO buzz from.
Old December 8th, 2008, 11:28 AM
RushN24
Hookah Nut

I agree with everyone else heres my...

Hookah survival guide
1.) Make sure to drink 5-6 gallons of water daily
2.) Make sure to eat at least twice your body weight in raw protein an hour before smoking
3.) Take at least 15 minutes to stretch, and another 15 minutes of light cardio to warm up
4.) Try naturals, maybe the QLs are you problem
5.)Enjoy

But seriously, hookah goes great to top off a nice well rounded meal, the kind you have to loosen you belt for. Just loosen it a notch or two, sit back and enjoy a nice relaxing hookah session to digest. You should not get sick after that.
Old December 8th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Fezzik Send a message via Yahoo to Fezzik

The buzz passes quickly and I think has as much to do with oxygen deprivation as it does with nicotine. My advice for keeping the buzz at bay is don't chain smoke your hookah. Take a little time between puffs. Smoking with friends is good because you can pass the hose or even have a little conversation going at the same time. The one time I started smoking on my own I was talking to my wife on the phone for a little while. Let's just say that will reduce the amount or rather frequency of puffs you can take as well.
Old December 8th, 2008, 01:24 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

It sounds like you will like a few AF flavors and SB flavors. Finding your favorite flavors is what many of us are still in fact doing. It keeps the train running smoothly!!

I have been smoking for a long time now, many years, and I just discovered that I love Layalina Pomegranate.
Old December 9th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by emu103 View Post
i started smoking shisha a little while ago, i had a 18 inch mya, and got a leila a few weeks ago.

i really havent found the right brand of shisha for me though.

i bought hookah-hookah and al waha from a local shop and they are both trash imo.

my local hookah bar serves al fakher, and i am pleased with it.
and i ordered 5- 50 gram boxes of romman tobacco with my leila
i really like the blueberry.

but my question is this.
ive never smoked any tobacco products my entire life until now. and the buzz i get is sickening. i know there must be a adjustment time because im not used to nicotene, but in the meantime is there any high quality, loww nicotene buzz tobbacco brands out there that anyone can reccomend?
i dont mind spending money on quality tobacco, ive always been the person to spend the extra money to get what i want.
In terms of what to smoke for new smokers I would say that Salloum's fruity flavours are the best.

In terms of getting sick that is a matter of how you smoke rather then what you smoke. See http://www.hookah-life.com/events_12.htm for details.
Old December 9th, 2008, 05:31 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezzik View Post
The buzz passes quickly and I think has as much to do with oxygen deprivation as it does with nicotine. My advice for keeping the buzz at bay is don't chain smoke your hookah. Take a little time between puffs. Smoking with friends is good because you can pass the hose or even have a little conversation going at the same time. The one time I started smoking on my own I was talking to my wife on the phone for a little while. Let's just say that will reduce the amount or rather frequency of puffs you can take as well.
2nd on the not chain smoking. if i chain i can get a buzz in like 5 hits but if i smoke normally i smoke for 3 hours with no buzz

and yes talking on the phone has wasted a few of my bowls, lit one up and talked to family members for like 30 mins and realized i hadnt pulled for like 10 mins

-matt
Old December 10th, 2008, 12:19 PM
emu103
Hookah Newbie

well my local hookah bar serves AF, and i love the flavors, though that buzz can be sickening, its not always that way. and it never seems the same quality, even with the same flavor.

i think im going to steer clear of romman, its just not flavorful enough, and not worth the price.

yea, my leile is my main hookah. im a college student that spends on average 5 hours in my car alone daily. and thats not a joke.
i have the mya set up at the apartment, but its not used alot because im not there most times.

i think ill order some fumari, they seem very flavor oriented.
and starbuzz, from the reviews ive read seems easy on the head.

Last edited by emu103; December 10th, 2008 at 12:24 PM.
Old December 10th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Fezzik Send a message via Yahoo to Fezzik

Maybe try Salaam. It is an herbal out of Egypt that has been getting good reviews here. Spiced Chai will likely be my first hookah smoke.
Old December 10th, 2008, 12:57 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by emu103 View Post
well my local hookah bar serves AF, and i love the flavors, though that buzz can be sickening, its not always that way. and it never seems the same quality, even with the same flavor.

i think im going to steer clear of romman, its just not flavorful enough, and not worth the price.

yea, my leile is my main hookah. im a college student that spends on average 5 hours in my car alone daily. and thats not a joke.
i have the mya set up at the apartment, but its not used alot because im not there most times.

i think ill order some fumari, they seem very flavor oriented.
and starbuzz, from the reviews ive read seems easy on the head.
honestly if your getting a buzz from AF you just need to build up a tolerance or smoke slower (or both) cause AF doesnt have much nicotine

-matt
Old December 10th, 2008, 02:05 PM
TheHookah.com
Vendor

I recommend eating before smoking, have some water or tea at hand during your smoke session, invest in another hookah, I agree with others that the Leila is more a novelty item, as far as brands, go for Starbuzz, Fantasia, Fumari, Golden Layalina has some good flavors as well, everyone has a different tolerance to certain brands, as stated before, make sure it is unwashed tobacco, and in your case, avoid Tangiers, good luck, hope this helps.

Narek
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook