Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Opening a hookah Lounge/Restaurant

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 10th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Fezzik Send a message via Yahoo to Fezzik
Default Re: Opening a hookah Lounge/Restaurant

Don't be so sure about Virginia. I thought the same thing about TN. Currently Virginia just requires a separate non smoking section for restaurants seating more than 50 people. Upstairs smoking downstairs not smoking fits the current requirements.

Now TN's law is
Restaurants/Bars: Smoking is prohibited in restaurants unless they do not allow people under 21 to enter at all times. A person must submit an acceptable form of identification to gain entry. This and other provisions of the Tennessee Code preempt the entire field of legislation concerning the regulation of tobacco products. Any law or regulation enacted or promulgated after March 15, 1994 by any agency or political subdivision of the state is void.

TENN. CODE ANN. 39-17-1801 to 39-17-1810 (2008) & 39-17-1551 (1994).

http://slati.lungusa.org/search-form.asp is a great source for all the smoking laws in the country. They are anti-tobacco but they have all the laws listed. Tax on Shisha Tobacco in TN is fairly low actually. It falls under other tobacco products and the tobacco tax on that is 6.6% of the wholesale price. I don't know why more tobacco stores don't carry it here. It seems like it would be profitable.

Last edited by Fezzik; December 10th, 2008 at 10:59 AM.
Old December 10th, 2008, 11:11 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezzik View Post
Don't be so sure about Virginia. I thought the same thing about TN. Currently Virginia just requires a separate non smoking section for restaurants seating more than 50 people. Upstairs smoking downstairs not smoking fits the current requirements.

Now TN's law is
Restaurants/Bars: Smoking is prohibited in restaurants unless they do not allow people under 21 to enter at all times. A person must submit an acceptable form of identification to gain entry. This and other provisions of the Tennessee Code preempt the entire field of legislation concerning the regulation of tobacco products. Any law or regulation enacted or promulgated after March 15, 1994 by any agency or political subdivision of the state is void.

TENN. CODE ANN. 39-17-1801 to 39-17-1810 (2008) & 39-17-1551 (1994).

http://slati.lungusa.org/search-form.asp is a great source for all the smoking laws in the country. They are anti-tobacco but they have all the laws listed. Tax on Shisha Tobacco in TN is fairly low actually. It falls under other tobacco products and the tobacco tax on that is 6.6% of the wholesale price. I don't know why more tobacco stores don't carry it here. It seems like it would be profitable.
correct that va has had to have smoking and non smoking sections but that has been around for as long as i can remember, its not a recent development like a lot of the bans
-matt
Old December 10th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
correct that va has had to have smoking and non smoking sections but that has been around for as long as i can remember, its not a recent development like a lot of the bans
-matt
Yeah Now I would be surprised if Alabama goes to a smoking ban. LOL. You should read their laws. It is like if there is any question then it will be decided by the owner. Like if it is deemed by the owner to be too small to have separate sections then it is up to him to decide whether it will be smoking or not smoking. I cracked up. It was almost as though why write the laws. They tax pretty well though.

All I am saying is that smoking sections law has been around forever or more to the point as long as TN's last law until the end of last year. Now it is 21 and up. As precedent builds don't be surprised if things change quickly. No one wants to be the last to pass a law everyone else is passing. No state wants to look backwards so if everyone is putting bans on smoking the other legislatures will do the same.
Old December 10th, 2008, 11:36 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

i could seed that kind of stuff happening in northern va but from richmond south i dont see that kind of stuff being common place.

i think if its smaller than 50 here it can be either one cause all waffle houses here allow smoking in them

-matt
Old December 10th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

All it takes is a couple of state legislators getting a hair up their butt and it might not go to a public vote just a state senate vote. As to northern virginia but not there it is possible that it could be done by city or county but is the money in Northern Virginia or the rest of the state? The money makes the decisions if the wealthy people decide they want to be like all the states around them then you can get some pretty strange stuff happening. Personally I like the way it is here. I find cigarette smoke offensive and if that means I am limited to where I can smoke cigars, pipes, or hookahs then so be it. I can do that at home and let the addicted masses figure out where they can go to smoke their fermaldahyde.

Anyway what I am saying is just be prepared to make adjustments. It isn't likely that they will go all New York City on you and make you go outside even at a bar to smoke. It seems that most places are going a bit more moderate and making age restrictions or any place making so much of their revenue from alcohol or tobacco or whatever restrictions. Then you just have to adjust. The restaurant would work really well for that if you have it set up the way you are talking about. Upstairs could be more of a bar type thing or maybe not even but if the laws were like TN let's say. Then the downstairs is a nice family restaurant a place where you can come in and enjoy a good Lamb with mint sauce and then you have to show your license to go upstairs to the lounge. Would work out great here I think.
Old December 10th, 2008, 12:59 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezzik View Post
All it takes is a couple of state legislators getting a hair up their butt and it might not go to a public vote just a state senate vote. As to northern virginia but not there it is possible that it could be done by city or county but is the money in Northern Virginia or the rest of the state? The money makes the decisions if the wealthy people decide they want to be like all the states around them then you can get some pretty strange stuff happening. Personally I like the way it is here. I find cigarette smoke offensive and if that means I am limited to where I can smoke cigars, pipes, or hookahs then so be it. I can do that at home and let the addicted masses figure out where they can go to smoke their fermaldahyde.

Anyway what I am saying is just be prepared to make adjustments. It isn't likely that they will go all New York City on you and make you go outside even at a bar to smoke. It seems that most places are going a bit more moderate and making age restrictions or any place making so much of their revenue from alcohol or tobacco or whatever restrictions. Then you just have to adjust. The restaurant would work really well for that if you have it set up the way you are talking about. Upstairs could be more of a bar type thing or maybe not even but if the laws were like TN let's say. Then the downstairs is a nice family restaurant a place where you can come in and enjoy a good Lamb with mint sauce and then you have to show your license to go upstairs to the lounge. Would work out great here I think.
well there is money in northern va... but richmond has tobacco companies and manufacturing plants here
-matt
Old December 10th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Oh good point. I forgot about Virginia's booming tobacco industry. There is even a pipe tobacco type Virginia leaf. LOL. Ok well yeah. Good point there.
Old December 10th, 2008, 09:20 PM
yeags777
Hookah Pro

I definitely wouldn't go with a 2 story building. More space means more rent. Just serve appetizers to the parties as they smoke. That's what I have experienced prefer.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook