Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Ohh Shit! is this normal?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 13th, 2008, 11:59 PM
TheHookahStore
Vendor

Default Re: Ohh Shit! is this normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pswami View Post
The UK outlets use 230V power transformers, meaning that all appliances draw 230V for appliances. The US has 120V lines. Most, if not all, appliances made in the US are meant for 120V, but have tolerances up to 240V for international outlets. This burner may not have that tolerance...unless it's water damage, this seems like it might be the case.

You should be able to find a voltage transformer at any electronics store that will step down the voltage from 230V to 120V—assuming this is the problem, it will fix it and it should work normally.
This is very true but. Heating devices draw a lot of current, meaning high wattage. Those voltage transformers that step down the voltage need to be large enough to handle that amount of current. The more wattage they handle, the more expensive they are. I would guess that one large enough to handle a heating device would cost about ten times as much as the heating device. You are better off buying one over there that was designed to run on 240 volts.

Here is a link to one that you can buy in the UK designed to run on 240v and it comes from the UK so shipping will be cheap

Here is the LINK
Old December 14th, 2008, 12:48 AM
dragonman586
Hookah Pro

Did you use a voltage converter or a shape converter. If you just used a shape converter you should be from here on banned from using electrical devices. If you used a voltage converter did you check the power load the converter can handle versus the power load required?
Old December 9th, 2009, 02:37 PM
nakkisormi
Hookah Newbie

asdasdasd

Last edited by nakkisormi; May 24th, 2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old December 9th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Luv2Smoke
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakkisormi View Post
Sorry for resurrecting such an old topic but:

Has anyone tried to plug a 120V single coil burner to 230V?

I just were wondering, that if i use the lowest heat setting on 230V, would it be equal to the highest heat setting at 120V?

I'll measure the resistance of the potentiometer ("the heat switch") someday, and do precise calculations, but thought to ask here first!
Yeah me but it still exploded. There's a Nikai one on Amazon that's a bit pricey (£40) but works because it has a UK plug should bf reliable aswell because it's from Japan.
Old December 9th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

I would dump it and buy a new one. I wouldnt expect nazaar to replace it unless you can prove that it was faulty at the time they sold it to you.

It deffinately sounds like voltage issues and not a faulty unit anyway. What plug does the device have? An adapter to make it fit into the outlet doesnt change the voltage output. Even using the unit on the lowest setting it wil still fry the unit. The unit can not use 240/220 volts if it is rated at 110 no matter the setting. Look around for a voltage conditioner that should change the voltage to a useable 110. I think it is called a euro adapter. Radio shack sells them here in the states.

I used to run the electrical department at home depot, so i know enough about electricity to be dangerous.. LMAO.

Last edited by Hayter; December 9th, 2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old December 9th, 2009, 04:08 PM
nakkisormi
Hookah Newbie

asdasd

Last edited by nakkisormi; May 24th, 2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old December 9th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Luv2Smoke
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayter View Post
I would dump it and buy a new one. I wouldnt expect nazaar to replace it unless you can prove that it was faulty at the time they sold it to you.

It deffinately sounds like voltage issues and not a faulty unit anyway. What plug does the device have? An adapter to make it fit into the outlet doesnt change the voltage output. Even using the unit on the lowest setting it wil still fry the unit. The unit can not use 240/220 volts if it is rated at 110 no matter the setting. Look around for a voltage conditioner that should change the voltage to a useable 110. I think it is called a euro adapter. Radio shack sells them here in the states.

I used to run the electrical department at home depot, so i know enough about electricity to be dangerous.. LMAO.
Huh? Dude this was from last year. I got a refund from Nazar and I just mentioned in my last post that I have a new one that works fine.
Old December 9th, 2009, 04:11 PM
bpetruzzo
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to bpetruzzo Send a message via Skype™ to bpetruzzo

Yeah, sounds like that thing needs to be thrown out!
Old December 9th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Luv2Smoke
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpetruzzo View Post
Yeah, sounds like that thing needs to be thrown out!
It was thrown out a year ago
Old December 9th, 2009, 04:51 PM
nakkisormi
Hookah Newbie

Luv2Smoke

Were you able to use the coil on the lowest setting?Why did it blew on the fifth time, what did you do differently at that time compared to the other times?
Old December 9th, 2009, 04:53 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

LOL doesnt anybody read the whole thing before posting?
Old December 9th, 2009, 04:57 PM
nakkisormi
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGPOPPA View Post
LOL doesnt anybody read the whole thing before posting?
Okay, this is just 2 pages long so far, but if you start reading every 100+ pages topic before posting, have fun!
Old December 9th, 2009, 05:01 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

Quote:
Okay, this is just 2 pages long so far, but if you start reading every 100+ pages topic before posting, have fun!
LOL... i sense the sarcasm there. But i wasnt referencing your posts. It was a couple of others that were posting about throwing the burner out and about talking to Nazar.
Old December 9th, 2009, 05:05 PM
nakkisormi
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGPOPPA View Post
LOL... i sense the sarcasm there. But i wasnt referencing your posts. It was a couple of others that were posting about throwing the burner out and about talking to Nazar.
Oh, sorry for that then! i'm bad at sensing to who are the nasty comments referred at :P!
Old December 9th, 2009, 05:31 PM
unicycleboy3190
Hookah Pro

water??

Old December 9th, 2009, 06:19 PM
joevincett
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicycleboy3190 View Post
water??
This thread is like a year old, he already threw the burner out and is pretty sure it was the difference in voltage haha
Old December 9th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Luv2Smoke
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Yeah, i'm an electrical engineer student (if that's the right term) so i do know a bit of these things. Just can't be arsed to calculate the power usage on 230V and using the lowest temp setting from the switch... Unless required to :P Seems like that i do.

Luv2Smoke:

Did the coil burn whilst using the LOW-setting?

or did you use the highest temp setting for five times, and finally it blew?

Just in short, correct me if i'm wrong (which i think i am !:

it's designed to be used on 120VAC 60Hz, so:

The coil works at maximum of 750W -> 750W / 120V = 6,25A

It will take 6,25A current at max.

If i'd use the default potentiometer on the 230V net, and set it to max temp, it would be going on 6,25A * 230V -> 1437,5W power!

No way! that WILL blow the thing in a blink!

So, i want it to draw a maximum current of X, so that it will (at max) use 750W power:

If x * 230V = 750W, then x = 3,26A

So i want it to draw 3,26A max from the network.

If I = 3,26A and U = 230V, then R is... Yeah, R = U / I, R = 70,55ohm

So if i find a potentiometer (or just a plain resistor), could it work? i know that the resistor would need to have insane maximum power durability, but just in theory, it is...
Im sorry i cant remember so vividly now because it was excatly a year ago the best thing is to read the original post and if the answer is not there then im afraid i cant remember. I do remember that i had used it at max, mid and low power and nothimg had happened and on the final time i cant remeber the settings but it would definitely not have been the first.

If you are asking this because you want to get one then i would strongly advise against it even though you are an engineering student if you miscalculate then you would putting yourself in danger because when it blew trust me it was scary. Sparks flew the whole room was lit up bright white for a moment and there was a very loud noise of the electrical current. We were lucky that we just happend to leave the kichen for a few seconds when it happened so we weren't harmed.
Old December 11th, 2009, 11:57 AM
glostersa
Hookah Master

Ok Ilive in a country where all single phase devices are 230V with a normal 20 amp breaker on the db board.

Now the Burner was designed for 110 to 115V which is half that voltage and I suspect less amperage as well.

I have seen firsthand what happens to devices that get to much juice (voltage) by accident they tend to take on a black crispy personality.

So unless you are about to splurge on a large step down transformer I would advise getting something for your Voltage range
Old December 11th, 2009, 06:20 PM
nakkisormi
Hookah Newbie

asdasd

Last edited by nakkisormi; May 24th, 2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old December 11th, 2009, 06:26 PM
BigBlind
Hookah Pro

Get a new one and trow the old one away!!!
Old December 11th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Luv2Smoke
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlind View Post
Get a new one and trow the old one away!!!
Thanks if only i knew you a year ago
Old December 11th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Smoke View Post
Me and my friends got together at my house to smoke some shisha and i asked my little brother to light smoke coals. He put 2 coconara coals on a new single urner that i recently ordered from Nazar Hookah and a few minutes later heard some electric shock that sounded like it was out of the movie Terminator when he comes the time portal and could see lights flashing through the gap in the door. I ran into the kitchen and my brother was in shock. He told me that he saw electric sparks come out of the Single burner about 2 foot high. I turned off the switch at the socket with a wooden stick and a bit scared to try and see if it still works. Anyone got any experince with this?
Metal.

Darth Coyote, Executor of EGOB and the Black Leaf Brotherhood.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook