Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Looking for a shisha that tastes like, well, tobacco.

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 14th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Gift3d
Hookah Nut

Question Looking for a shisha that tastes like, well, tobacco.

I'm looking for a type of shisha that has a real tobacco taste. I love the taste of true blue unadulterated tobacco. I'd be more than willing to buy some traditional style type tobacco, but first i'd like to check if there's any modern type shisha that has a taste of the likes.

I was browsing around some sites, and the only thing i really saw that might seem like it'd taste like tobacco is Nakhla Zaghloul, AF Cigar, or AF Pipe. Although i've heard AF Pipe tastes chocolatey by looking at the reviews section and peoples other input on here. And i searched the AF thread for "cigar" and no matches come up.

I'll probably wind up having to try some traditional style tobacco, most likely the Desi Merli or something of the sorts, but i just thought i'd check to see if anyone's tried something like this before i do.
Old December 14th, 2008, 11:51 PM
dragonman586
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Looking for a shisha that tastes like, well, tobacco.

Try something traditional like the zagoul or that stuff from salloum. If you look on youtube there is a tutorial on how to pack ajamay(sp) into a bowl. Or you could just load legit pipe tobacco into the bowl with a bit of honey or something.
Old December 14th, 2008, 11:53 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

you can't go wrong w/desi murli. It's a top shelf product. Nakhlas' zahgloul, and qass are also amazing although the later is not availiable in the US. plain Salloum and Havana "pipe" are VERY nice as well.
Old December 14th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Gift3d
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu ronin View Post
you can't go wrong w/desi murli. It's a top shelf product. Nakhlas' zahgloul, and qass are also amazing although the later is not availiable in the US. plain Salloum and Havana "pipe" are VERY nice as well.
oh nice, thanks for the input abu, so those actually have a real tobacco taste, similar to that of a cigar or something of the sorts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonman586 View Post
Try something traditional like the zagoul or that stuff from salloum. If you look on youtube there is a tutorial on how to pack ajamay(sp) into a bowl. Or you could just load legit pipe tobacco into the bowl with a bit of honey or something.
I've looked at a few videos on youtube, i'm sure it'd be a pretty harsh smoke which is why i'm looking for a modern type of shisha first, but after the whole holiday season i plan on splurging on a bunch of hookah stuff
Old December 15th, 2008, 12:50 AM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

sounds like Havana pipe or AF pipe are what your looking for.
Old December 15th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

While I haven't tried it Hajo is fond of Hookah Hookah Cavendish. Also Baja has some good flavors that have real tobacco taste in the background. Their Kahlua is very tasty.
Old December 15th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

not sure if you like it or not, but tangiers cloves tastes well...like clove.
Old December 15th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Gift3d
Hookah Nut

I'll most likely try the Havana Pipe. I'm weary of buying Hookah Hookah again, but cavendish pipe tobacco is always nice so might have to give that a try also. And cloves are great, it just sounds really ..interesting.. as a shisha hah. Thanks for the suggestions guys, i've at least got a good idea of what i'm wanting to buy now.

Havana Pipe, most likely a 50g of AF Pipe
HH Cavendish
Tangiers Cloves (possibly)
And definitely some Desi Murli

I'm excited, i've been smoking fruity flavors for too long, time to get down to some of the real interesting stuff haha.
Old December 15th, 2008, 03:26 AM
craigz
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to craigz

You can't go wrong with Havana pipe. I make sure that I always have some kind of supply of it around. It is perfect for mixing with. I really like to mix it with some honey shisha, it tastes absolutely delicious.
Old December 15th, 2008, 04:20 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

A few things: There is no product on the U.S. market that tastes like pipe tobacco and only a few very hard to find products in the Middle East that have cigar like qualities. That being said, several products are around in the states that have high quality tobacco tastes and they are as follows:

Hookah-Hookah Cavendish: No it doesn't taste like Cavendish but it is a mildly sweet product with a nice, natural taste.

Zaghloul and Salloum Plain: I haven't tried the light version but Zaghloul Salloum Plain are excellent and cheap. You need to read my article about how to smoke these sorts of products before trying them.

Desi Merli Plain: Once you read my article about how to smoke this product and act accordingly you'll have the best product on on the American market in terms of natural tobacco tastes.

Havana Pipe: This is a product I enjoy highly. A mellow and rich taste with mild spicy notes. It doesn't really tate like pipe tobacco but it's really great in it's own right.

AF Pipe: It doesn't taste at all like pipe tobacco and if you want a chocolate/mocha type taste HH's Mocha is much better.

AF Cigar: Never had it but I keep hearing so much negative comments I am not interested in trying it.

AF Soft Black: You ccan get this any where but N. America with easy and it's a rich, heavy tasting product that makes me glad I discovered tobacco.

The thing to remember is that if you don't set up Salloum Plain, Zaghloul or Desi Merli properly they are horrid. Also, don't smoke these product like a typical American style candied moassel unless you you want to be uncouncious and have a charred larynx.
Old December 15th, 2008, 07:05 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Desi merli is what you want to try.
Old December 15th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I like the HH Cavendish

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old December 15th, 2008, 01:28 PM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

If anyone is interested, I could provide you with Nakhla Qass, Nakhla Bata, Nakhla Zaghloul or Plain Salloum ..... These are all plain unflavoured traditional tobacco.
Old December 15th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Gift3d
Hookah Nut

Well i'm definitely going to try Desi Merli. I can't wait for that. I'll be sure to read up on how to correctly prepare it and smoke it correctly. And thanks a ton Hajo, for basically breaking down descriptions of each type of tobacco, and everyone else for their input, much appreciated! I know exactly what i'm going to try out now and i'll be sure to get a few reviews up in the review section.
Old December 15th, 2008, 02:21 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

I have a bunch of Desi if you want to try it out. lemme know

Old December 15th, 2008, 02:23 PM
TheHookah.com
Vendor

I think the most accessible and your best bet would be Nakhla Zaghloul or the Plain Salloum.

Narek
Old December 15th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Gift3d
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
I have a bunch of Desi if you want to try it out. lemme know
Oooh for sure MrB, i'd love to try a little of it before going crazy and buying a bunch of it online. But i've never done any sort of trade or sent/recieved samples with other users, so i'd have to familiarize myself with the common etiquette and such things like that. I'll throw you a PM. Thanks!

Also a quick question about the Desi Merli that i didn't exactly find while looking up how to set it up, would 3K QL's work with it, or are naturals a must? Maybe QL's would be too big, all i've got at the moment is a few rolls of 40mm 3k QLs. Wish my local shop sold exoticas ><

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHookah.com View Post
I think the most accessible and your best bet would be Nakhla Zaghloul or the Plain Salloum.

Narek
I've always been a Nakhla fan and have always been curious about the Zaghloul, and my curiosity is starting to get the best of me. Definitely will give it a shot, finally :P

Last edited by Gift3d; December 15th, 2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old December 15th, 2008, 02:57 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gift3d View Post
Oooh for sure MrB, i'd love to try a little of it before going crazy and buying a bunch of it online. But i've never done any sort of trade or sent/recieved samples with other users, so i'd have to familiarize myself with the common etiquette and such things like that. I'll throw you a PM. Thanks!

Also a quick question about the Desi Merli that i didn't exactly find while looking up how to set it up, would 3K QL's work with it, or are naturals a must? Maybe QL's would be too big, all i've got at the moment is a few rolls of 40mm 3k QLs. Wish my local shop sold exoticas ><

I've always been a Nakhla fan and have always been curious about the Zaghloul, and my curiosity is starting to get the best of me. Definitely will give it a shot, finally :P
Break the QL into 3 or 4 pieces. Then pout one on each side. You should really only need one QL coal; or 2 Coconara, Awa'el, 2/4 Exotica, 2 *************, 2 Starlight
Old December 15th, 2008, 04:51 PM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

Although I haven't tried it, I see Cleopatra has a 'Plain' flavor.

http://hookah1.com/index.php?main_pa...products_id=76

I might have to take one for the team and pick some up on my next order.

Old December 29th, 2008, 07:36 PM
ShishaBubbly
Banned

Do not ever smoke Nakhla Zaghloul! Never. Since having tried it it is killing my desire for sweet shisha, but it is great.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook