Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Egytian Jurak

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 15th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default Egytian Jurak

Recently while I was out of town I ran to a kid that gave me a sample of Egyptian Jurak in trade for some Afzal Paan. Apparently the kid bought the stuff in a place called Asyut the packing looked a bit Al Waha did back 12 years ago or so in that the jurak was simply wrapped in celophane a sticker with with a logo in Arabic sealed it.

The jurak is called something like "Evening Joy" although I am not sure if that is the flavour or the brand. The cut is very long unwahsed tobacco that is dark brown and fairly dry as a result of it not traveling well.

Taste wise I'd say it's sort of like what they call in the West "Oriental style pipe tobacco" with some peppery/clove like notes and a strong after taste of molasses. It doesn't produce a lot smoke but the texture is very full bodied. I'd say that this is a very nice although radically different sort of tobacco product. It is also very strong and deffinately not meant to be huffed on like Fantasia.
Old December 15th, 2008, 04:24 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Default Re: Egytian Jurak

That sounds awesome.. I love oriental flavored pipe stuff!
Old December 15th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

NO JURAK .... I hate its smell .... in the middle east, they smoke jurak with this hookah nad they use a very long and wide hose ... it is like 5 meters hose
Old December 15th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Heya Zen, the jurak definitely had a Balkan pipe tobacco sorta feel to it but the pepper/clove aspect and the strong sweet, molasses finish is pretty interesting combination. If I could get this sorta thing regularly I can see myself smoking this about once a week or so. Still, I like Syrian and Saudi jurak better but then i've had a lot more of it. For all I know what I tried is not typical in Egypt.

Thunder, there is a very wide range of jurak in quality to goes from mediocre to really great. I have heard about those massive hoses but i've not seen it. I have smoked tombac quite a bit and I have a special bowl for it but I never knew you need a special hose for jurak. Still, most of the jurak i've had is pretty good although I don't it (or anything really) enough to smoke it every day. In the end I appreciate jurak and prefer it to American style fruity stuff.
Old December 15th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

Hajo Flettner, u r 100% correct.

I was talking about the Jurak hookahs that I saw in Saudi Arabia ... They are like 50" or my be longer and the bowl is huge ... they use very big pieces of coals ... it is like using 10 CH naturals at the same time. The best flavors over there are called "Baaeishen" and "Sindy" ...
Old December 16th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Fezzik Send a message via Yahoo to Fezzik

Hajo that sounds really good. Kind of sounds like the perfect tobacco for those looking for Shisha tobacco that tastes like pipe tobacco. Probably a bit stronger than what they are really wanting though.

Groovy sounds cool. Does this happen to you often?
Old December 16th, 2008, 10:40 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

The Balkan stuff is usually what I smoke in my pipe. I purchased a meerschaum just so I could have aromatics in it, and I leave the Balkan in my best.

That is very interesting, it may in fact be too strong for me to handle, but my method of smoking Desi and Tangiers even is based off what you have let us know abotu your smoking style. . I find it much easier to enjoy stronger blends when not inhaling like an American with a bowl of SB (which I so often am).
Old December 16th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Hey Fezzik, the jurak wasn't terribly strong but rather it was just like any other unwashed moassel in terms of strength although it could be that the very sweet finish fooled me. As to find stuff yea, it happens fairly often but mainly becuase my jobs force me to spend most of my llife traveling.

Good to hear from you Zen. Basically if you smoke this stuff the way you smoke DM or Zaghloul you'll be fine. It definately has a Balkan like quality to it but the sweet finish is such a contrast it's sorta strange.

I only got about a hundred grams of the stuff and I hope I can track down more it.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook