Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

How do i keep my shisha from burning and keep the flavor longer?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 17th, 2008, 01:01 AM
babaganoush123
Hookah Nut

Default How do i keep my shisha from burning and keep the flavor longer?

How do i keep my shisha from burning and keep the flavor taste/smell longer? i usually smoke al fahker two apples that i just bought and the expiration date says 2006 but its still wet and moist and smells good.. and i use 1 self lighted coals that i cut in half and put on my bowl on each side. my bowl isn't that wide also. i searched and i couldent find my answer.
thanks,

Last edited by babaganoush123; December 17th, 2008 at 01:06 AM.
Old December 17th, 2008, 01:57 AM
onehourlater
Hookah Nut

Default Re: How do i keep my shisha from burning and keep the flavor longer?

Depends how long are you getting out of it now? To help us out give us some rough figures on:
-How you are smoking (chain, with 4 freinds, alone etc.)
-Windcover/no Windcover
-Conditions (outside, inside, blazing heat, bitter cold)
-Coals (you mentioned its a QL, what brand etc.)
-How you pack the bowl
-Tinfoil, alufoil or some form of screen
-What type of bowl (size, shape, material its made out of)

Give us some info and someone will be able to give you an idea of some tricks or techniques.
Old December 17th, 2008, 02:03 AM
jreese86
Hookah Nut

Odd, I can toss up to three CH coals and a windcover on a normal egyptian bowl and not lose flavor with AF, pharoahs, or any of the juicier tobaccos.

Do you leave adequate room between the foil and the shisha?

Are you packing the shisha real tight?

Tried different brands of coals? I'd suggest CH coals if you arent already using them.

Give us your setup details and maybe we can provide a little more specific advice.
Old December 17th, 2008, 02:47 AM
babaganoush123
Hookah Nut

my wind cover is pretty ghetto just heavy duty foil formed into a cylinder and put on top of the bowl. i pack the bowl pretty good. i have no idea about my room between the foil and shisha. how much room do i need? this is the kind of bowl i have the last one on the bottom right its a black or dark blue color.

http://completehookah.com/image/bowls.jpg
Old December 17th, 2008, 02:53 AM
Ekove
Hookah Nut

Well, you need not to use too much coals but it doesn't seem like you are at all. You should leave some air in the shisha when you pack it and not pack too tight.

Most importantly, leave some space between the shisha and the foil, around 1/8 of an inch, or just enough that the foil won't come in direct contact with the shisha once you put the coals on. Use strong foil that holds tight so the coals weight won't make the foil sink down and touch the shisha.

Getting a Phunnel/vortex bowel and the glass screen fron MN Hookah can help to make the flavor last longer, but only if you have the money.
Old December 17th, 2008, 03:41 AM
babaganoush123
Hookah Nut

what bowl do you guys recommend that is deeper then my current bowl but is the same width so i dot use more heat/coals? dose the funnel/vortex bowl also produce alot of smoke?
Old December 17th, 2008, 07:26 AM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

Yeah the phunnel produces a hell of a lot of smoke, have not used the vortex so cant comment, but you will be using a lot more shisha as well.

The burning of the tobaco is probably becasue the foil touches the shishaa makes just you use a heavy duty foil and if you cant hold of any, double the foil your using now, with shinney side down.

Make sure they is a small gap bettween the top of the bowl and the foil as well, roughly the size of a 5p coin, dont know what they are called in the US, but te smallest coin you lot have the size of that.

Roughly how long are you smoking it when you get the burning taste, becasue after a while maybe 1.5+ hours on that bowls, the shisha would have been roasted and would taste a bit off
Old December 17th, 2008, 07:39 AM
FusionX
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FusionX

i have a Tangiers Medium and I love it
I use 3 QL CH coals because I do not have a tall enough windcover yet for it. I already have an order coming in from CH John.

After I get the cover, the small and medium phunnel should be just fine w/ 2 coals. I get a lot of smoke with it. Rumor has it that after you have smoked and an hour later you decide to come back, the full flavor and smoke is still there. This is because of the phunnel design.

As far as for the vortex.... idk the stories i heard about bad drilling holes and the holes getting stuck. I'd rather spend 8 extra on a scalli
Old December 17th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

OK, you asked for help!? You got it! My opinion anyhow ..

Your bowl sucks! (sorry but I am honest, I have that bowl too) It is called a mod bowl or modern bowl and is made by havana. It is a very shallow bowl. You can still use it, but I would recommend 1/8" to 1/4" between the foil and the top of the tobacco. I have another idea for that bowl, but I would have to do a vid about it, to hard to explain in text.

I would recommend getting a deeper bowl, like the Saudi (one of my favs) and you can get that here: http://www.hookahcompany.com/colored..._2637_prd1.htm with this bowl you will be able to easily get 1/4" between the top of the foil and the tobacco. (Adjust space between as needed).

Another bowl I am going to recommend is a the Vortex. Everybody has phunnel burned into the brain and rightfully so, it is a nice bowl (but wastes too much tobacco). I like to give new products opportunities and the Vortex and Saudi are my current bowls of choice! The Vortex is an extra small funnel with a built in mod. and it holds a little less tobacco and you can leave a nice cushion of air space between the foil and tobacco. You can also get away with using less coal.

OK, now as far as your windcover .. LOL! You wrote me before, you made the one I did a video on, right? Good for you! that is a great way to trap some heat and build up the heat in the bowl.

Use your windcover, but use only 2 pieces of coal .. and leave about 1/8" to 1/4" of space between the tobacco and the foil. See how that goes and get back to us ..

As far as some other bowls to try .. standard bowls (holds less tobacco but still works well) or a MYA bowl (deeper) .. it is the one in the middle on the bottom row of your picture.

Cheers!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old December 17th, 2008, 12:08 PM
III_3_TDS_3_III
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to III_3_TDS_3_III

cant get better help then that
Old December 17th, 2008, 01:30 PM
x_Odin_x
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to x_Odin_x

Normally Reynolds Heavy Duty foil is the foil of choice.

Sambooka's the man.
Old December 17th, 2008, 01:41 PM
onehourlater
Hookah Nut

I have that same bowl, takes some skill but you can get a fair smoke out of it! it is perfect for small personal smokes cause it only uses 10ish grams of tobacco or less - practice with it and you will be happy you have it for those times you only want a half hour of a smoke! Sam's got it right on with his comments so I will leave the last words to him.
Old December 17th, 2008, 10:44 PM
babaganoush123
Hookah Nut

i usually smoke 20-30mis with that bowl. i did have a little gap between the foil and shisha and it worked no burned taste and i use one self lit coal that i break in half and put 1 piece on each side of the bowl. im currently smoking 2006 al fakher two apple its great and smells sweet...ive noticed the foil cylinder that i made with 2 layers of the reyonalds foil increased my smoke amount by 10% so thats a good thing...i only like 20-30mins of smoke any longer and i just get bored.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook