Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Whats the strange fascination with...........

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 18th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Default Whats the strange fascination with...........

Clouds? I have read more than a thousand posts about "How can I get the biggest clouds" "What shisha produces the biggest clouds" "Look at my clouds" "I have increased lung capacity so my clouds are the biggest ever"

Maybe its just me but that seems so shallow to me. Shouldnt you smoke hookah to enjoy the relaxation aspect of it, to try and get the most flavor out of the tobacco not overload the bowl with coal to produce massive clouds. Whats the purpose? Its kinda like when a young kid decides that shotgunning a bunch of beers is cool, to me I would rather sit down and enjoy a couple of beers normally.

Maybe its my age(birthday coming up in 11 days) but it all seems so immature to me. I personally have turned the corner and have been enjoying the more traditional flavors of hookah tobacco and concentrating on the more complex flavors that it offers. I dunno, I just dont get the whole massive cloud fascination.

Billy
Old December 18th, 2008, 08:01 AM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006
Default Re: Whats the strange fascination with...........

Me neither i enjoy the flavour, but when friends come round they are like where the massive clouds we are used to, as when i began i loaded the bowl with a lot of coals to get huge clouds, but now i just enjoy the taste and relaxation.

I think most people, when they start just likes the clouds but then the flavour and relaxation aspect kicks in
Old December 18th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

I always wondered the same thing. I'm all about the smoke being full flavored, and if the smoke is thick that's cool, but if not oh well.
Old December 18th, 2008, 08:11 AM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

Me too LOL, recently i loaded a bowl of old skool grape, ive had it for bout 3 years now and the taste was amazing but it had small clouds, and everyone was like what a crap shisha, even tho the taste was great, its was so nice i cant describe it

Its just a newbie thing having massive clouds i think, but when they own they own hookah, and prepare it themself and see the effort it takes to make and maintain then i think they will start enjoying it more then having massive clouds

Last edited by patelbadboy2006; December 18th, 2008 at 09:57 AM.
Old December 18th, 2008, 08:35 AM
tzighy
Hookah Nut

Send a message via Yahoo to tzighy

i beg to differ, i think that clouds are one of the pleasures hookahs give. It always amuses me in a relaxing way to do circles and put out large clouds and i really enjoy the sessions with thick smoke more than the ones with small clouds. I never give away flavour for thickness though, so i'd rather have no clouds than bad taste, but since i can have both why not?
Old December 18th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I mention it in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj18j3rBjus
my words: "producing some nice smoke, I'm not going for big huge clouds here, I'm going for all of taste"

I usually smoke for taste .. it is ALL about heat management! For me I would rather have the tobacco last me a whole session with favorable smoke the entire time. (If the tobacco can manage that! Some tobaccos can only last so long even with great heat management!)

I have to admit, clouds are fun too .. I have some strong lungs to pull in a lot of smoke! But 90% of the time I go for flavorful smoke instead of gigantic clouds that burn up the tobacco and make it harsh, thereby ruining it in a short amount of time.

One of these days, I will do a cloud vid for fun .. but if you look at my avatar (you can't really tell how big of a cloud it really was in the avatar, but it was!) it was fun to have a competition with my friend that night producing big clouds. The smoke ended up tasting like crap though! Lots of heat makes big clouds, but also makes harsh or flavorless smoke.

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old December 18th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Fezzik Send a message via Yahoo to Fezzik

If you are shooting for clouds heat management is a pain in the butt. Especially with Nakhla. I mean there is a fine line between thick can't see the stem smoke and burned tobacco. Once you cross that line it isn't pleasurable any more. I actually am not all that fond of too thick a smoke. Maybe it is all the upper respiratory issues I have had recently but it doesn't feel good to drag off a ridiculously thick cloud. You feel your lungs fill up and it kind of starts to get uncomfortable. I don't hate the clouds just when it is too thick I can't take in as much smoke anyway so it is kind of moot anyway.
Old December 18th, 2008, 10:54 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Well, it isn't really the people's fault. One of the marketing gimmicks of shisha in the US is in fact clouds.

Husky, for you, someone who smokes a pipe and enjoys tobacco , not glycerin/water/honey/molasses equating to clouds, I can see how it is very odd to see people loving these "clouds". But, this is why we are lucky there is tobacco like Desi Murli, Salloum, Ajamy to keep the traditional guys happy in the States. And by lucky, I mean lucky.

SMoking the hookah in America isn't like smoking one in any other country. I will admit, although being relatively young, and enjoying clouds to an extent, I do in fact smoke a pipe and enjp a good Baltic tobacco more than anything. This tobacco taste cannot directly translate inti American hookah smoking. If hookah smokers here wanted to enjoy tobacco, theyd smoke a pipe, but they like shisha, for lavor and clouds, and also the fact that there are normally no side effects one would notice (I mean normally because of the mouth infection cases).

American youth, as you would know Husky, are in it for the Image, and this goes for all tobacco smoking. I have been smoking a pipe since I was 17 in highschool- but only in my home as I truly enjoyed tobacco. The hookah came along, party people loved it, and I do enjoy a good flavor, so I had to get one. I slowly got the image of the Hookah Pro in my area, but i didn;t buy the pipe just for that at all.

Americans are "shallower" smokers as well, smoking cigs just because they can. I don't understand how one would enjoy tobacco in the taste of cig, as I never have been able to.

Husky, it is immature, but only relatively, based on your age repectively. In the younger generation, the reasons for owning a hookah are different, but only because they are younger and don't have the pipe tobacco/good cigar foundation. The hookah market isn't exactly guiding them in the direction of tradition either.
Old December 18th, 2008, 11:52 AM
speel
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to speel

I agree with you almost 100% well 99.9% :P, but what i've notices and maybe its just me but the more smoke the more flavor but thats based on my personal experience. But I also had shisha with tons of cloud and absolutely no flavor.
Old December 18th, 2008, 12:12 PM
jreese86
Hookah Nut

I think it's a couple of things.

1. Big clouds are fun. If smoking with friends, it definitely adds to the experience.

2. Big clouds mean that it's operating at it's best. In today's society we've been conditioned to stride for perfection.
Old December 18th, 2008, 12:15 PM
heilmikaal
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to heilmikaal

for me the clouds are actually part of the relaxation aspect, just watching it billow out slowly.
Old December 18th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

big clouds does not equal perfection. I have shisha that barely produces clouds and it is the best stuff ever!
Old December 18th, 2008, 12:21 PM
speel
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to speel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskysibe View Post
big clouds does not equal perfection. I have shisha that barely produces clouds and it is the best stuff ever!
That is true with the non flav stuff.
Old December 18th, 2008, 12:33 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

I dont think this is entirly true, im 20 and dont consider myself old, but i enjoy the flavour and dont care much bout the clouds, i even have cigars from time to time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
Well, it isn't really the people's fault. One of the marketing gimmicks of shisha in the US is in fact clouds.

Husky, for you, someone who smokes a pipe and enjoys tobacco , not glycerin/water/honey/molasses equating to clouds, I can see how it is very odd to see people loving these "clouds". But, this is why we are lucky there is tobacco like Desi Murli, Salloum, Ajamy to keep the traditional guys happy in the States. And by lucky, I mean lucky.

SMoking the hookah in America isn't like smoking one in any other country. I will admit, although being relatively young, and enjoying clouds to an extent, I do in fact smoke a pipe and enjp a good Baltic tobacco more than anything. This tobacco taste cannot directly translate inti American hookah smoking. If hookah smokers here wanted to enjoy tobacco, theyd smoke a pipe, but they like shisha, for lavor and clouds, and also the fact that there are normally no side effects one would notice (I mean normally because of the mouth infection cases).

American youth, as you would know Husky, are in it for the Image, and this goes for all tobacco smoking. I have been smoking a pipe since I was 17 in highschool- but only in my home as I truly enjoyed tobacco. The hookah came along, party people loved it, and I do enjoy a good flavor, so I had to get one. I slowly got the image of the Hookah Pro in my area, but i didn;t buy the pipe just for that at all.

Americans are "shallower" smokers as well, smoking cigs just because they can. I don't understand how one would enjoy tobacco in the taste of cig, as I never have been able to.

Husky, it is immature, but only relatively, based on your age repectively. In the younger generation, the reasons for owning a hookah are different, but only because they are younger and don't have the pipe tobacco/good cigar foundation. The hookah market isn't exactly guiding them in the direction of tradition either.
Old December 18th, 2008, 12:41 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelbadboy2006 View Post
I dont think this is entirly true, im 20 and dont consider myself old, but i enjoy the flavour and dont care much bout the clouds, i even have cigars from time to time
No no, of course there are exception, like everything, in which i would also be one.
Old December 18th, 2008, 12:47 PM
ninemillimeter
Hookah Nut

i dont care about taste or tradition! my clouds are the biggest! they call me chief cloudbringer wherever i go! them shits up in the sky aint got nothin on my beefy clouds! RAWR!

just kiddin, guyssssss.
i smoke for the taste and of course relaxation after a hard day of working and fathering. i wanna taste my little grapeys not rape them until they obey my whims of extreme cloudbringing only to perish under the black layer of burnt tobacco. zensilk basically summed up what i think. these goddamn whippersnappers are always tryin to one up each other at the cost of taking a massive shadoobie on the right way of doing things.

but on the other hand- i do enjoy when i happen to spit out a jumbo ghost from super mario brothers 3. but i dont overheat to get to that point.

dont turn your back on him.
Old December 18th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

There should be a perfect balance between flavor and clouds. Otherwise, you can ust eat fruits if you want the flavor only.
Old December 18th, 2008, 01:06 PM
blckngld760
Hookah Pro

theres nothing wrong with shotgunning beers either lol
Old December 18th, 2008, 01:24 PM
reality-
Banned

I totally understand Zensilk..
And I do agree with husky, focosing on clouds shoudlnt be primary reason for enjoying hookah ..
but as I have noticed, when the clouds become huge, so does the taste.. More smoke for me means more cloud and if I have packed everything right it means more flavour for me..
I havent tried the traditional stuff and I understand you manage that alot different then the frutiy molasses smokes..
Old December 18th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Generally I have found that the sort of people that obsess about clouds are into this hobby of ours because it's trendy right now and have no real interest or appreciation for the craftsmanship of making narghiles or the tobacco used with them. For such people people smoking is about fitting in, impressing others and conformity rather then appreciating the sublime.
Old December 18th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Gift3d
Hookah Nut

I think making big smoke clouds just adds more satisfaction to my hookah smoking sessions. About 50 minutes into a bowl, the smoke will start getting thin but sometimes will remain pretty flavorful. When i'm smoking with friends and i'm the only one puffing on it when it gets like this, they ask me why i'm still smoking and i tell them, hey it still tastes nice! So while i don't think the monster clouds make my hookah sessions any more enjoyable as far as flavor and stuff goes, i do think they make smoking a whole lot more fun. Thick smoke is fun to play with!

Overall though i'd MUCH rather have a shisha that produces thin smoke and tastes good, than a shisha that tastes bad but produces thick clouds, definitely. I'd think most people here would agree with that statement (:
Old December 18th, 2008, 03:24 PM
persianpimp730
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by heilmikaal View Post
for me the clouds are actually part of the relaxation aspect, just watching it billow out slowly.
yeah exactly. Just how gracefully the smoke flows from your mouth is so relaxing to me...
Old December 18th, 2008, 03:42 PM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KillerB Send a message via MSN to KillerB

OK, so, i am 20, and livein america. I think that taste is very important when it comes to hookah. I am not going to smoke it if it doesn't taste good. However, one of the main reasons i enjoy hookah as much as i do is that i can play with the smoke. Do snowballs, smoke rings, french inhale, ghost inhale, cheerios..... all that stuff. It makes it more fun! And, since i generally try not to smoke alone, it turns into a contest with me and my friends as to who can do it better...

if that makes me immature, than whatever. We all do things for our own reasons, and thats fine. Diversity is what makes the world worth living in.
Old December 18th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Xazon
Hookah Nut

Rather good taste than good smoke
Old December 18th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Liszt
Hookah Pro

Personally the flavoris first for me, for if all I cared about were clouds i'd smoke Epic/Zona. When I'm alone I'm usually watching tv out in my garage, so i don't notice any clouds regardless of how big or how small. When I'm with my friends, it's more of a social thing, like "holy shit that actually came from me?!?!? Daaaaaaaamn."

I'll compare it to buying a car. The priority is, of course, how the car will run (the flavor). Some people need suped up cars with sound systems and custom paint jobs, others just want a car that's sturdy and will run. It's all about the flash and bang man =)
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook