Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Not quite sure what I did wrong...

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 18th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Chuyuri
Hookah Newbie

Default Not quite sure what I did wrong...

I just got my first hookah yesterday (yay!) after months of pining for one. I've smoked them before but I've never actually lit one. After grabbing some reading material and watching a few tutorials on youtube, I figured okay, got it. It seemed pretty simple.

So I set mine up in my livingroom; vase filled so the stem was submerged 1/2 inch into the water with some ice, then checked for leaks. Inhaling through the hose produced a suction on my hand at the top of the bowl, so checked that off.

Then I grabbed a 15g shot that came with the hookah and sprinkled it into the bowl, being careful to keep it even and not overflow the bowl. Then I placed a metal screen (it came with the hookah free of charge and it just so happens I'm out of aluminum foil) on top and went outside to light the charcoal-- instant lights. Once it was red hot, I left it on top of the screen and gave the tobacco a few minutes to heat before I tried to smoke.

And...nothing. The vase didn't fill with smoke (that I could see anyway, the vase I bought is a dark blue) and the most I could get out of *really* inhaling until my lungs hurt was a thin, pitiful little cloud-- and I thought I was imagining it at first. I tried blowing on the coal gently to get it to heat a little more, but still nothing.

The only thing I can come up with is maybe the screen, but it just doesn't account for there being NO smoke at all whatsoever...any ideas on what could have been wrong? I want to try and figure it out before I try again and waste any more of my shots.
Old December 18th, 2008, 10:09 AM
nmcgrawj
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Not quite sure what I did wrong...

I never could use a screen. Get foil and poke some holes and try again....should work out.

The only way air should get in is by going around the coals....any other leaks (screens have plenty as they arent air tight on the bowl) will not let u heat the shisha up enough.
Old December 18th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Chuyuri
Hookah Newbie

I'll head to the store and try it later today with foil instead. Thanks =)
Old December 18th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Sounds like you did everything right! (you must have watched my vid!? cuz the part about letting the coal sit on the bowl for a few minutes is key! most people get too impatient!)

You sure your relief valve ball was in there? Are you sure the hose was fully in the port? Sounds like there was an air leak (I know you said you checked, but maybe something loosened?)

... and yeah, dump the screen and stick to heavy duty aluminum foil.

Cheers!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old December 18th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Chuyuri
Hookah Newbie

I guess it's possible there was a leak. The suction on my hand was pretty weak-- the hookah was delivered fully assembled so I'm not sure if anything was loose besides the hoses and the stem/bowl (I made absolutely sure those were air tight). I might just disassemble it and do it again myself since it probably did get jostled around when it was delivered.

Yes, I did watch your video =D It was the easiest one to follow along with. Most of the other tutorials I found just confused me, because they were giving instructions as if they were talking to seasoned smokers and not a beginner such as myself XD
Old December 18th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuyuri View Post
I guess it's possible there was a leak. The suction on my hand was pretty weak-- the hookah was delivered fully assembled so I'm not sure if anything was loose besides the hoses and the stem/bowl (I made absolutely sure those were air tight). I might just disassemble it and do it again myself since it probably did get jostled around when it was delivered.

Yes, I did watch your video =D It was the easiest one to follow along with. Most of the other tutorials I found just confused me, because they were giving instructions as if they were talking to seasoned smokers and not a beginner such as myself XD
Glad the video helped ya

OK, I would be willing to bet that you may not have a ball in the relief valve. and that is where your leak is.

Do you have a MYA hookah? if so, tap your relief valve when you are smoking. The ball may not be seated properly?

An upgrade you can do, if you find that you don't have a ball in your relief valve. Get a plastic BB. If you can't get a plastic BB. roll up a piece of aluminum foil REALLY TIGHT and a perfect little ball. That will work too.

When you suck on the hose, there should be a lot of suction! as in no leaks!

Please let us know!? .. Cheers!

~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Old December 18th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Chuyuri
Hookah Newbie

I'm pretty sure there's one in there even without looking, because I can hear it when I inhale.

This is the hookah I have, here: http://www.hookahhub.com/Genie-Strip...pe-p-5343.html

Edit: I adjusted the stem grommet and now the suction on my hand is much stronger, but it's being stubborn and won't let me pull it flush up against the top of the stem. The grommets on for the bowl and both hoses are tight, so I'm only worried about this one at the moment (going to put some more muscle into it and try to tug it up a little more).

Last edited by Chuyuri; December 18th, 2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old December 18th, 2008, 11:04 AM
[Shisha-Jay]
Hookah Newbie

Location: originate in the LBC currently living in Temecula, CA

hmmm yea ditch the metal screen for sure! foil will also prevent ashes from gettin into ur shisha, and let you keep as much taste as possible ;P well other then checking ur relief valve...hmmm...you put all the nessesary gromets in correct? like in the hose ports and on the top of ur hookah were the bowl set?
Old December 18th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Chuyuri
Hookah Newbie

Everything's in properly that I know of, and I'm getting ready to give it another try. I'll post back and let everyone know how it goes.

Edit: Also, I'm only using one coal...since they're the instant lights and the disks are pretty big, so I don't feel comfortable using more than one (they'd be hanging over the side of the bowl).

Last edited by Chuyuri; December 18th, 2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old December 18th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Those black rubber stem grommets are a pain in the ass! Try wetting them with some water, or a little water soluble lube? I know how it sounds! lol

I have a silicon grommet from Sahara Smoke and it makes it so easy to put the stem in and out of the base! It is effortless and seals really well
Here it is: http://saharasmoke.com/store/catalog...t-p-16836.html

Old December 18th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Chuyuri
Hookah Newbie

I've got it going (sucked it up and put two coals on top) and the smoke is much better. They're not tremendously fluffy clouds, but at least I can SEE them now XD

Thanks for all of your help!

Mmm. Passion fruit-y.

Edit: Clouds going now =D

Last edited by Chuyuri; December 18th, 2008 at 11:39 AM.
Old December 18th, 2008, 11:40 AM
[Shisha-Jay]
Hookah Newbie

no prob
happy smoking man ^_^
Old December 18th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Chuyuri
Hookah Newbie

I only wish this hookah came with a bigger tray, there's ash getting on my floor =|
Old December 18th, 2008, 11:53 AM
[Shisha-Jay]
Hookah Newbie

yea i know what you mean man i have a little hookah too its only a few inches taller then the one u have and i have a small try aswell =/ im smokin it right now as im typing this and im still gettin these fresh coals goin and ash is goin everywhere on my desk!
BUT you can always buy a bigger heres a link from sahara smoke

http://saharasmoke.com/store/catalog...y-p-16163.html
Old December 18th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Chuyuri
Hookah Newbie

Yeah I'll definitely buy one, since I had a few embers fly off of there as well and I'm not looking forward to a burnt floor. Thanks for the link!
Old December 18th, 2008, 12:05 PM
[Shisha-Jay]
Hookah Newbie

i know what u mean i have a HUGE hard spot in my carpet from my coal haha
no prob bro! anytime
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook