Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Does it really work? (a discussion of all hookah techniques, topic changes)

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 7th, 2007, 05:36 AM
boomhauer
Banned

Send a message via AIM to boomhauer Send a message via Yahoo to boomhauer
Default Does it really work? (a discussion of all hookah techniques, topic changes)

Why not have something compiled of everything. like all the "tricks" for people to use. but before its done we also discuss it. that way when something with all the pro's and cons from all sides and so people can also read peoples thoughts on it. this way when someone has a question they can be linked straight to that topic right away and get all their answers as all opinions would have been said.

the first post will be edited every few days for the new "topic"

If a topic is no longer in discussion anymore and you have a something new to say on that issue please feel free to add it.

9/7/07-9/8/07: Diffusers, do they really work? a discussion of all sides on this device
9/8/07-9/10/07: Funnels, your thoughts, any tips or tricks for them
9/8/07-9/10/07: Mods + funnels
9/10/07-9/??/07: Other liquids in base

Other liquids in base
Old September 7th, 2007, 05:41 AM
boomhauer
Banned

Default Re: Does it really work? (a discussion of all hookah techniques, topic changes)

honestly i love diffusers. people say that these dont work and are just a gimmick. i have used a diffuser on two different hookah's and i have noticed an increase in smoke density and flavor. it does make it harder to draw and it makes the hookah on so quiet so you can watch a movie in peace.

now for your thoughts on these, cheapest or easiest way to make one, and so on. really its an open discussion on diffusers right now!

personally i bought a set from H-S but my new KM cant have it put on so they are just sitting there unused. need to find a cheap way to make one which will fit over that big bell bottom of the hookah.
Old September 7th, 2007, 05:54 AM
Pbpredator
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Does it really work? (a discussion of all hookah techniques, topic changes)

Hrm personally i like diffusers... and you may remember that i made a movie showing how to make your own diffuser using a microphone screen from a local radioshack that worked pretty well... ill find the link to the vid later...
Old September 7th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I have the same problem, fitting a diffuser over the bottom stem of my Khalil Mamoon. I do believe however, that the design of the KM stem is supposed to act like a diffuser without affecting the draw? I could be wrong though...I heard that a while ago.

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old September 7th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

I use a homemade diffuser and I think it works for several reasons. I place 4 bendy or flexy (whatever) straws in the bottom of my stem and cut them off to a short length. Then I spread the ends to point in different directions. It seems to make the smoke a tad thicker and more flavorful. It also quiets the bubbling sound. Another added bonus is it stops "tin foil rattle" as I call it. I use a Nammor and it draws so effortlessly that on big hits the foil will rattle or shake enough to move the coals around a bit. Not as much of a problem when using Exotica's but QL's and Easy Lites would move enough that they nearly fall off the bowl. With the diffuser this doesn't happen.
Old September 7th, 2007, 10:25 AM
BxxxD
Hookah Newbie

I have mixed opinions on diffusers. I made a small plastic one that is reminiscent of the Heba Diffuser

On a medium to large hookah with a normal hose, it's not really necessary. I've tried with and without of my 26" Egyptian and don't notice any difference. When you move to a Nammor hose with a larger draw then a Diffuser might be more necessary.

On a smaller hookah, like my Mini Mya Acrylic, the diffuser helps somewhat with smoke density and the loud gurgling, but i have never noticed any enhanced flavors with my diffuser on...
Old September 7th, 2007, 11:22 AM
sznapsy
Hookah Nut

Personally I don't think a diffuser really helps the flavor, but I do think it helps smooth it. If you fill the water to above the diffuser as in like covering the whole thing it will help with the pull actually makes it easier. I use a diffuser like 70% of the time, the other 30% i just forget. If anything I think the diffuser would take away from the flavor as more of it would be absorbed into the water.
Old September 7th, 2007, 11:26 AM
HookahETC
Banned

Send a message via AIM to HookahETC

2 Layers of Foil = Better than 1 (for me)

Wind cover Indoors = No difference

Ice Chamber = No effect

Ice in Vase = Do it, works really well

Freezing the Vase = Waist of time

Mixing Bowl = not worth it

Mixing Shisha = 50/50, sometimes its great, sometimes its better to leave it two separate flavors

If I think of more, Ill Edit this one..
Old September 7th, 2007, 11:33 AM
sznapsy
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookahETC
I used to think this, but it depends on the wind cover, if it has more holes it will just let heat out, but if it has less holes it will hold the heat in and help with heat management, somtimes if i have a certain amount of coals but adding another whole coal is too much, just add the wind cover and it will help enhance the amount of smoke. As far as my experiences.
Old September 7th, 2007, 12:22 PM
BxxxD
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sznapsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookahETC
I used to think this, but it depends on the wind cover, if it has more holes it will just let heat out, but if it has less holes it will hold the heat in and help with heat management, sometimes if i have a certain amount of coals but adding another whole coal is too much, just add the wind cover and it will help enhance the amount of smoke. As far as my experiences.
I totally agree, plus my coals last alot longer when i am smoking outside
Old September 7th, 2007, 12:37 PM
sznapsy
Hookah Nut

I'd want to discuss the foil rin technique that people seem to ask about that they see on youtube...What are people's opinions on this? Haven't had the time to really try it, think i'll give it a try tonight.
Old September 7th, 2007, 01:17 PM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

ON foil rin method. I believe it works best with glycerin based mollases.the ring sould me only 0.4-5 cm high so its almost touching the foil deirectly above the shisha. THat way there is a pocket of hot air trapped between the two foils and the shisha is heated only with th air and not by the coal touching it. In my experience honey based molasses need more heat so using this method will still give off the taste but the smoke will not be so thick. > it obliusly needs more heat and takes longer to start.

What i want to know is about refregirating shisha. Some say its a must.. others say its the worst thing to do. I tried it only twice. !st time it made it last longer (Nakla strawberry) and second time it ruined it completetly making it unsmokable.
Old September 7th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

WOW! This thread is all over the place! I guess I am not following the concept? Or is that what it is supposed to do?

Anyhow, about the foil ring, I use it with Nakhla and it works like a charm for me! Definitely worth giving it a shot!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old September 7th, 2007, 02:44 PM
boomhauer
Banned

haha its not following it. it was supposed to be every couple days the topic on it changed. this way it was easy to sort through everything and make one solid topic for new people.
Old September 7th, 2007, 03:08 PM
rowland
Hookah Newbie

While i have not yet made a diffuser i have a really good idea on how i would/will make one.

You could buy plastic tubing and fill the bottom with hot glue. Drill holes around it then push it up inside the barrel. If you think that would decrease the diameter too much then use fish tank tubing instead.

Just dip it in hot water for a few mins. thenpush it up over the down spout. Should work nicely.
Old September 8th, 2007, 03:03 PM
boomhauer
Banned

new topic funnels. your thoughts on them, any tricks, etc

edit: 2 topics! also discussion on mods
Old September 8th, 2007, 03:08 PM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

To Rowland: I did the same thing and its no use. The glue from the glue gun went green after the first session and stinked like hell afterwards. I tried vinegar and lemon to clean it but did nothing at all.
Now on phunnels, I dont own one but i posted a topic today how to convert your standard bowl into a funnel, tho performance doen not even come close.
Old September 8th, 2007, 03:12 PM
boomhauer
Banned

funnels. ingenious the way it was thought up. works wonders for drippy shisha on making it last longer and not drip into your stem making cleanup a pain if you didnt use it. doesnt work for all brands like i tried it with HH hazelnut last night and all it was doing was burning the tobacco. used the same ammount of heat on my modern bowl and it smoked like no tomorrow. so perfect for some and not perfect for others.

edit: now for the mods, honestly i think this is a huge gimmick made for nothing. i have tried with and without a mod and see no difference. if you where to ask the man himself, eric about using the mod he will say the same thing really. that there is no need for a mod and its just a gimmick. now post up your ideas on this mates
Old September 9th, 2007, 08:45 AM
smoke-all-day
Hookah Pro

as much as i love my newly acquired phunnel bowl, sometimes its just not practical to have a smoke session last over an hour and a half. they are great for movies when you dont want to repack, or for when there is a nice group of people smoking with you, but for a before work smoke i still go back to my egyptian bowl. and for drier shisha i use the egyptian bowl as well.

though i have only used it a handful of times so far, it seems to work really well when i fill it almost to the top, LIGHTLY pack the shisha down, and make a ring of holes (a lot of them!) about 1/4" wide around the outside of the bowl with a needle. 2 split 3k 33m, half on each side making a square in the middle works perfectly.

havent used the mod since it doesnt fit in my phunnel, i got the small one. the idea seems logical but it works just fine without it
Old September 9th, 2007, 11:00 AM
sznapsy
Hookah Nut

I think phunnels are going to become the new standard for hookah. Perhaps more like a Super Chief maybe. I'm thinking of making a modification to the Phunnel of drilling 4 holes into the side of the phunnel, and that way re-directing the air a little, but possibly to my cracked phunnel not my good phunnel.

Phunnels have expanded the possibilities of hookah because shisha can now be wetter, and conserved...I think eric made possibly one of the greatest contribution to hookah in it's history.
Old September 10th, 2007, 03:59 AM
boomhauer
Banned

new topic: Other liquids in base

now does it really enhance the flavor. it does depending on what you add. in some cases it can work wonders and in other cases it will destroy your smoke entirely. i dont know if adding alcohol to your base will give you a buzz or if its just you expecting something gives you the buzz so your mind is simulating an alcohol buzz. someone should test it with having someone else do the hookah and randomly adding alcohol or not then not telling you and see if you get a buzz or not.

if i can i will get whatever fruit i will be smoking, throw it in the blender and add it to the base and it generally helps the flavor if im looking for a more true to the actual fruit flavor. but its a pain to clean if you let your hookah sit there a few hours.

discuss!
Old September 10th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

It just seems like such a pain to blend fruit to add to the vase, shouldnt your shisha deliver the flavor you require? I could see trying to save a tub of tasteless crap by adding fruit to the vase but I just think you should go for the shisha that delivers.
Old September 10th, 2007, 01:17 PM
ASUSEAN
Hookah Nut

this topic is pretty confusing..

so wht are we suppose to b talking about? haha
Old September 10th, 2007, 01:34 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

I LOVE my phunnel...It instantly made a difference in flavor as well as duration of my smoking sessions...I made a detailed review in the review section, so anyone interested in reading details should head over there...About the glass scalli mod, I bought one just in case the foil would end up sticking to the hole while smoking...But I haven't yet tried smoking without it, so I can't say if it really makes a difference or not...As a tip, I have found that packing the shisha almost all the way to the top of the bowl, will provide better results than the "pack it below the rim" idea...I also try to sprinkle the shisha in loosely and try to spread it out evenly...Then I poke two large rings of holes around the bowl (usually 11 holes per ring)...
Old September 10th, 2007, 01:56 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Other Liquids in Base:

Fruit Punch:
A good match with pretty much any flavor that's fruity...the other day I tried fruit punch in the base with Starbuzz Strawberry Kiwi on top and it was delicious...

Bacardi Watermelon:
This one is REALLY good. Set up was a shot of Bacardi Watermelon (the rest water) in the base, and Starbuzz Tropical Fruit on top...I tried this idea for the first time at a party recently, and people couldn't get enough of it. Everyone kept on asking me all night what flavor it was. It enhances the flavor of the shisha itself. You can taste the watermelon mixing with the Tropical Fruit...and at the same time it also gives you a slight alcohol taste when you're inhaling, kind of like a cool menthol type of taste. If you smoke this while having a couple of drinks it WILL give you a nice buzz, and you'll get tipsy a lot quicker. A friend of mine was smoking this with me while drinking (something alcoholic) and at one point she had to stop smoking it because she could barely sit straight. Mind you, she was on her first drink and was completely sober before she started smoking.

Milk:
I haven't tried milk with many different flavors...but I tried it with Starbuzz Caramel Macchiato... I didn't like this flavor, so I thought of adding milk to the base to see if it would make it taste better...It did make it taste a little smoother on the way in, and it also made the smoke thicker...the smoke itslef had a milky caramel taste to it, but since I didn't like the flavor to begin with, it didn't convince me to smoke it more foten...I am planning on trying milk in the base with other flavors in the future, and I'll make some more reviews on it...
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook