Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Tips for a new smoker

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 12th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Default Re: Tips for a new smoker

The shisha tends to sizzle in the juice. The goal is to steam the tobacco.
Old September 12th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Louis
Hookah Newbie

if i were you dont take any recommendations on shisha, since everyones taste buds are different your best bet is just to keep trying out a lot of different shit and see what you like or if you happen to find one good brand and flavor from that brand check out the product reviews and see who has a similar range of taste.

And I'm only saying this from experience because almost every flavor that people have recommended me have only become subpar and some of the things ive just tried myself are really good.
Old September 12th, 2007, 03:22 PM
kingmaddog
Hookah Nut

Send a message via ICQ to kingmaddog Send a message via AIM to kingmaddog Send a message via MSN to kingmaddog Send a message via Yahoo to kingmaddog

I'm looking to get a different stem. The one I have isn't bad, but I think it has a leak. Here's a pic of the stem I'm looking at getting. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Stem.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb Stem.jpg_thumb (4.6 KB, 0 views)
Old September 12th, 2007, 03:25 PM
kingmaddog
Hookah Nut

Send a message via ICQ to kingmaddog Send a message via AIM to kingmaddog Send a message via MSN to kingmaddog Send a message via Yahoo to kingmaddog

Here's a pic of the hookah I'm getting it for.
Attached Thumbnails
Anubis.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb Anubis.jpg_thumb (14.6 KB, 1 views)
Old September 12th, 2007, 11:37 PM
nofrendo
Hookah Nut

Steer clear of Tangier's until you are an experienced smoker. It can be good but is very difficult to smoke and is known by most to be harsh. Really killer buzz though.
Old September 13th, 2007, 07:04 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

for the stem you want, measure your base's mouth and existing downstem - that new stem looks very long/large compaired to the orginial. It would suck if you bought a decent stem and the base is too small.

everybody has given great advice, here's my .02:

Heat management is key, it can make or break a good session. If your 100% new to this, expect some bad sessions and don't give up. Just remember what you did and tweak it next time. Also remember, good coals are necessary to a great smoke - too little heat is easily correctable, too much can kill the bowl.

Experiment with different flavors and brands (ask for/offer samples). Since I take it you'r new, stick with certain brands like Al Waha, Al Amir {:P}, Al Fakher, Hookah-Hookah and the lot. Easier to experiement with and don't require a "fine art" to smoke. SB, Tangiers, Nakhla - all good in their own right, but may be harsher than you'll be used to and takes some perfecting to fully enjoy.

Invest in a good hose. KM hoses are supposed to be good, Nammors are nice (check out NazarHookah), MYA washables are good, but will rust eventually. Just becasue a hose isn't washable doesn't mean it isn't a good hose.
Old September 21st, 2007, 10:18 AM
kingmaddog
Hookah Nut

Does a larger hookah smoke better than a smaller one?
Old September 21st, 2007, 10:23 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

it's all mostly a matter of personal taste. At one time, I would have said yes - longer stems do increase the time the smoke has a chance to cool down, but not that much in most cases. I have a 22" Eyp than smokes as good, if not slightly better than my 30" Syrian. My 17" Modern smoked well, but it had issues w/ tipping and the bowl popping off.

So a small hookah doesn't mean a bad smoke - it's all with how it's used, set-up, ect to produces a great smoke or a lousy one.
Old September 21st, 2007, 01:13 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmaddog
Does a larger hookah smoke better than a smaller one?
Does the size of the hookah matter or effect the quality of the smoke?
The answer to this question is ‘yes’ and ‘no.’ We’ve done our research and performed numerous tests. There is such a thing as too small of a hookah. We’ve concluded that anything over 24 inches doesn’t significantly effect the smoking experience. Obviously, the glass chamber on the larger hookahs is larger allowing for more smoke to build up but the smoking experience is not noticeably different. (Quoted from HS)

I personally have noticed that my taller hookahs, smoke WAY better than my friends Mya Diva (which I believe is a 13 inch)... We can always instantly tell the difference in smoke density and flavor when comparing my 30 inch to his 13 inch Mya
Old September 21st, 2007, 01:22 PM
nofrendo
Hookah Nut

Another thing you have to think about is base stability. If you put that stem on that fairly narrow base, you don't want it to fall over.
Old September 21st, 2007, 01:27 PM
kingmaddog
Hookah Nut

I made a change for the base. I'm getting the same stem, but changing the base to this purple flame vase I seen. For the hose I ordered a black nammor from mahir. I'll post pics when I get everything and assemble it.
Old January 11th, 2008, 01:21 PM
cashmere868
Hookah Nut

i too am new to this! i quite like my short hookah though, as it makes the smoke still slightly warm when it comes to the mouth. but then we tried it with ice in the base, and it was so nice, so you dont need a HUGE hookah i dont think, just really cold water, and a thoroughly washed hookah. also, i have found that you get much smoother and thicker smoke if you make sure the charcoal is really hot before you start, as if you start it when it is only warm, then it wastes some of the shisha, therefore wasting time and money. also, i seriously recommmend mixing apple and strawberry shishas, but thats only my personal preferance!

P.S. thanks to all the people commenting on this forum, you have all taught me so much!!!!
Old January 11th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashmere868
P.S. thanks to all the people commenting on this forum, you have all taught me so much!!!!
You're very welcome!! I am glad everybody from the Hookah Pro Community could be of help to you!! Glad to see you decided to join because of all the great members here. Cheers!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old January 11th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmaddog
If you have any tips or tricks for smoking a hookah, let me know. I'm getting my first hookah, and any kind of help would be nice.
1) Get a decent narghile rather then the ones you posted photos of. A KM, MZ or Syrian rig from Social Smoke, J & R or furathookahs.com will give you years of great service. Avoid Chinese junk and Myas.
2) Get a decent washable hose like: nammors, Al Fakher's healthy hose ( get a bunch as they are cheap), the H-S washable or the J & R washable.
3) Get a hot plate and use natural coals. Don't use the coals until all the surfaces are glowing.
4) Make sure your rig is super clean everytime you use it.
5) Get the water level above the end of the downstem as close to 30mm as possible.
6) Fill the base with a mix of ice and water
7) Use a funnel bowl with the scalli mod and learn to pack it properly
8) Ash your coals and rotate them about every 5-10 minutes
9) draw slowly on the hose and forget about making big clouds
10) leave around 30 seconds between draw
11) read the thing i've got on www.hookah-life.com about sensible smoking.
12) Try as many kinds of shisha as possible to see what suits you
13) Watch Samb's videos on on bowl packing and seting up your foil and forget about using screens.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook