Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

km not so good

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 28th, 2008, 08:35 PM
buddha548
Hookah Nut

Default km not so good

so i got my first km for Christmas and it has a great draw and all that but every session gets harsh i dont get it i do everything the same and i have tried more coal less coal any suggestions
Old December 28th, 2008, 08:47 PM
FusionX
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FusionX
Default Re: km not so good

why don't you post your specs...

bowl, coals / how many of em, shisha, heat distribution method, your hole poke configuration, hose and so on?!
Old December 28th, 2008, 08:53 PM
blckngld760
Hookah Pro

It could be too much heat on there.
Old December 28th, 2008, 08:55 PM
buddha548
Hookah Nut

standard km bowl, hose, coconara or ch nattys 2 coals at a time. ive tryed af and sb and tangiers (Tangiers smaal phunnel with that 3 coals on this ) all get harsh realy fast ive also tryed adding and removing coal. and the hole pattern is 4 rows with a thumb tack and a hole in the center.
Old December 28th, 2008, 08:57 PM
buddha548
Hookah Nut

i was thinking maybe to much heat but 2 natural coals should not be to much on a standard bowl
Old December 28th, 2008, 08:57 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

can't blame harsh smoke on the hookah. sounds like you're overpacking your bowl.

Old December 28th, 2008, 09:00 PM
buddha548
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
can't blame harsh smoke on the hookah. sounds like you're overpacking your bowl.

maybe i am i will try putting less in the bowl. but i have not changed the way i pack my bowl.
Old December 28th, 2008, 09:07 PM
necco
Hookah Pro

Pack a bowl like you normally would and take a pic for us to see.
Old December 28th, 2008, 09:26 PM
ByronSA
Hookah Pro

the KM bowl is pretty big. i tried it once and i could not get it to smoke right, i don't know what it was...i think i'll stick with my phunnel
Old December 28th, 2008, 11:45 PM
jayrunner89
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jayrunner89

i use the km bowl all the time i use 2 ch ql on it both kind of on the edge and move and rotate every 10 mins or so
Old December 29th, 2008, 12:34 AM
pharm
Hookah Nut

if a small bowl i sometimes use 3 ch nats to start it considering i double foil...remove one later on during the session
Old December 29th, 2008, 03:15 AM
Divine
Hookah Nut

You may be burning a grommet. Try removing the grommet and inspecting it for burn marks. (this especially may be the case if you're noticing a rubber-like taste/smell)
Old December 29th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

I've heard this complaint a few times. It's possible that you are taking hits the way you did with your old hookah and the increased flow of the KM is causing the bowl to overheat. Try getting a standard Egyptian bowl. I've heard the KM bowls are pretty big and shallow, that might pose a problem by overheating easily.
Old December 29th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Dont blame the hookah! Try your old bowl on there and be aware of how you are packing the bowl.
Old January 5th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Fezzik Send a message via Yahoo to Fezzik

LOL this kills me. KM's can do no wrong don't blame the hookah. However, if he had come on here and said I got this cheap Chinese imitation made to look like a MYA and it gets harsh you would all be like oh man get a KM and you won't have that trouble. The most likely culprit here is as Dunkel said that the KM has a greater air flow which would cause the coals to burn a bit hotter. You will need to make adjustments a different bowl, or different coal or hole configuration than what you are used to maybe. Not all Hookahs are made alike. It only stands to reason that differences in make and air flow etc will bring about a need to think on your feet and adapt. I would say before you go out and buy other parts try using fewer holes maybe experiment with the square patterns John used in his older videos. I believe it was 6 holes in a square pattern slightly larger than the coals. That might help. The solution might also be to put in more holes so as to allow enough air flow to let some of the heat escape. That is a matter of experimentation.

You have already bought into the KMliness is next to Godliness so don't give up the dream.
Old January 5th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha548 View Post
and the hole pattern is 4 rows with a thumb tack and a hole in the center.
I think that the hole pattern is not the root of your problem, however, you can help your smoke by putting more smaller holes closer together. Also, placement of coals could be a big factor, after smoking for a few min i usually have to move them back on the outside because they "float" to the middle
Old January 5th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Gift3d
Hookah Nut

I am a very firm believer that no matter which hookah you are using you can always get a good smoke out of it, all hookahs work the same, it just matters how you pack the bowl and how you manage your heat. With all the different shapes and styles of hookah bowls there are i'm sure there's many different ways to get the best tasting smoke with each of them, coals are also a big factor obviously. It's surely not the hookah!
Old January 5th, 2009, 05:07 PM
nmcgrawj
Hookah Nut

Coconara's seem to burn hotter for me than CH coals....something i didnt read in any comparisons previous to buying each one. For what i do with 2 coconara coals it takes atleast 3 CH natty coals.

Get some pictures up of each step, and use a timer to see how the smoke goes. There are too many variables involved to give an easy solution. Best advice is to try stuff. Go with ideas that you know for sure worked before....and try implementing the new parts 1 at a time so u can see where/what the problem is and how to fix it.

I've had absolutely horrendous sessions and have had superb ones...u just gotta PRACTICE!
Old January 5th, 2009, 05:54 PM
wonderland
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to wonderland

Def make sure your not over packing the bowl...basically make sure ur tobacco is not burning on the bottom of the foil... always make sure u give a small amount of clearence between the foil and tobacco
Old January 5th, 2009, 07:23 PM
jpra51
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gift3d View Post
I am a very firm believer that no matter which hookah you are using you can always get a good smoke out of it, all hookahs work the same, it just matters how you pack the bowl and how you manage your heat. With all the different shapes and styles of hookah bowls there are i'm sure there's many different ways to get the best tasting smoke with each of them, coals are also a big factor obviously. It's surely not the hookah!
^^ what he said. How to pack a bowl and always get thick rich smoke:

If your shisha is in a jar, shake it up to redistribute the molasses/flavor over the tobacco.

then using your fingers pick up each individual piece and drop it in the bowl, removing the stems. it would be like 'sprinkling' the tobacco on the bowl

fill it just underneath the rim so that there is just a tiny space between the foil and the shisha tobacco

poke holes randomly. my holes are about 1/4 - 1/8 inch apart. and i use a needle.

once the foil is securely on the bowl, hold it in place and blow through the head/bowl on the bottom opening (the one that goes on the grommet). you can also shake the shisha around in the bowl with the foil on just lightly before you blow through the bottom. this just helps ensure nothing is blocking the holes in the bowl and there is adequate airflow through the shisha and bowl.

my biggest mistake starting out was that i did not consistently pack the bowl the same way, usually just throwing little clumps of shisha in the bowl with fingers or tongs. This resulted in the shisha burning because there wasn't any airflow between the shisha pieces. But after breaking them apart before dropping it in the bowl, the smoke is now much more pleasurable and the shisha cooks much more thoroughly. hope this helps.
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:58 PM
ChronicHookah
Banned

the new gen of km's have some pretty crappy bowls i've noticed. there are large egyptian clay bowls that you could get or a phunnel bowl, but it's pretty weak if KM to cheap out on the bowls lately
Old January 5th, 2009, 09:44 PM
1lowtoy
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to 1lowtoy Send a message via Yahoo to 1lowtoy

I smoked form a crappy chineese hookah for a long time and a bambino and now ive moved on to my KM you cant blame the hookah at all its all about heat and how you manage it i get more smoke from my km but still had very good tasting flavor full smoke from all of them. Please dont give up experiment try your older bowls your used to. I broke my Phunnel last night and bought a new one and its on the way so i tried to use the standard bowl last night and gave up cause i guess i have just forgotten how to manage my heat on it. So today i went to a local shop and paied way to much for a vortex bowl till mine shows up later this week and guess what it smokes harsh. I cant blame the bowl or the hookah. Its all cause its new to me and not used to the heat management on the new style bowls. Keep playing with it youll get it im not going to quit with this vortex till i get it right. My lungs may hate me by the time im done but its all part of smoking hookah. Rember the first signs of burning shisha is a warm humid smoke. Be paitent and just keep experimenting.
Old January 5th, 2009, 10:34 PM
hookah head
Hookah Nut

double your foil
Old January 6th, 2009, 12:11 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

KM cheaps out on everything but the stem! Crappy hose, crappy bowl, not-so-great vase...

You definitely need a phunnel to get the most out of your KM.
Old January 6th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Bojangles
Hookah Nut

I'd say watch your draw- KM has a very free draw, and if you're smoking it like you smoked your old hookah, as someone said, you could very well be burning your shisha.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook