Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

km not so good

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share
Old January 6th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Hookah Pro
Default Re: km not so good

I believe that if you have an airthight hookah you can get a perfect session even without a bowl. In the summer, i went for holidays and forgot the bowl so i improvised. I made a bowl out of foil. I formed it on the neck of a bottle and put another piece of foil on it to kame a bowl and it smoked like a charm with much less coal on it. It took me a couple of sessions to get the heat managment correctly but it was pretty good
Old January 6th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Originally Posted by Fezzik View Post
LOL this kills me. KM's can do no wrong don't blame the hookah. However, if he had come on here and said I got this cheap Chinese imitation made to look like a MYA and it gets harsh you would all be like oh man get a KM and you won't have that trouble. The most likely culprit here is as Dunkel said that the KM has a greater air flow which would cause the coals to burn a bit hotter. You will need to make adjustments a different bowl, or different coal or hole configuration than what you are used to maybe. Not all Hookahs are made alike. It only stands to reason that differences in make and air flow etc will bring about a need to think on your feet and adapt. I would say before you go out and buy other parts try using fewer holes maybe experiment with the square patterns John used in his older videos. I believe it was 6 holes in a square pattern slightly larger than the coals. That might help. The solution might also be to put in more holes so as to allow enough air flow to let some of the heat escape. That is a matter of experimentation.

You have already bought into the KMliness is next to Godliness so don't give up the dream.
I've found that the mostly likely explanation for a bad session is a poor setup, poor heat management or smoking methods. Most Americans tend to smoke a narghile like they would chain smoke cigarettes so they can make huge clouds which results in hotter smoke and less flavour. Little rigs always smoke hotter/harsher and poor heat management just makes a bad situation worse.

When it comes to Chinese rigs i've found that typically new smokers buy them because they are small, cheap and newbies don't know any better. As a result, they fail to pack the bowl right, use crappy coals or don't manage the heat too well making for a shit session.

Owning a KM (or anything else) will not give you a good session if you don't use the rig properly. Proper use is basically a matter of experience and since most American smokers haven't been into the hobby for long they make alot of mistakes.

Still, the bottom line is that any well made Egptian or Syrian rig can give far better performance then any Chinese rig for the simples reasons that the former are made by people that use and care about narghiles rather then just some huge factory using slave labour.
Old January 6th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Hookah Pro
Send a message via AIM to Fezzik Send a message via Yahoo to Fezzik

Totally agree. it just kind of drives me nuts that people here seem to always go to that whole oh it isn't cause it is a new or different hookah, KM's are made in a special fairy workshop in Egypt and each is sprinkled with fairy dust so just set it up and you can't go wrong. I am sure they are great but they can get harsh just as easily as any other hookah. Same deal if something is going wrong adjust. It may not be each rig is set up and smoked differently but each has its own individuality so you have to treat it as such and figure out how to get it right on that rig. KM's aren't magically infallible they are just well made hookahs.

As for the Chinese rigs I don't think it is because they don't use them or respect them. I believe they have been becoming popular there as well. I think it is because of the nature of mass production. All of them are made on machines exactly the same way but sometimes the materials aren't exactly the same. Makes for slight variations and sometimes just real crap. They are generally made to be cheap with cheap material on machines instead of by hand so stuff happens so they say.
Old January 6th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Hookah Pro
Send a message via MSN to h0lic Send a message via Yahoo to h0lic

I recently picked up a KM signature for christmas and thought that it didn't live up to the hype. Then I realized my sessions were crappy because the base and stem weren't air-tight. I replaced the grommet and I've been having way better smoking sessions than with my mya QT or chic.
Old January 6th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Hookah Nut

I think its SO funny how many views this thread has based on the thread title.. LOL.
Old February 7th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Hookah Nut

i had this problem too, my solution was to make 3 or 4 really big holes in the center of the bowl for airflow, works amazingly

have your normal holes and just add those big ones in the middle so you have a reallly good draw and hopefully it wont burn
Old February 7th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Hookah Newbie

Old February 7th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Deleted Per User Request

I'll hop in here an add to this discussion since Im finally smoking out of a KM now. I own a 22" Mya Acrylic, a 26" Chinese 2-Hose, and a 34" KM Classic. Out of all three, the best two smokes come from the Mya and the KM.

A few things to watch out for though :

The KMs have probably the most free draw I've ever experienced on any pipe I've smoked. If you chain hit off them, you will burn your shisha unless you're using a very small amount of coal. Try changing your method to taking a draw once every 20-30 seconds.

As others have said, make sure you've got your bowl packed low enough that the moassel isnt touching the foil. Regarless of how much heat you have, if you've got the coals touching the tobacco, it will burn and taste like shit.

Adjust the water level in your base. You'll get a harsher smoke if you dont have enough water for filtration. Ideally the water should be 1" to 1-1/2" above the bottom of the stem.

Add a diffuser if you want to smooth out your smoke a bit more. It will add a bit of resistance to your pull, but the smaller bubbles create more contact area with the water, cooling the smoke more than without. A diffuser will also lower the amount of vibration you get while smoking, and in turn cause less ash to fall through the foil into the bowl. If your bowl gets filled with ash, its going to taste bad as well.

Above all, make sure you're smoking decent moassel. Theres tons of reviews to check out and you'll find most brands such as Nakhla, Starbuzz, Al Fakher, and Tangiers are held in high regard around here depending on personal tastes.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook