Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Foil vs. Coal Screen

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 7th, 2007, 11:04 PM
kingmaddog
Hookah Nut

Send a message via ICQ to kingmaddog Send a message via AIM to kingmaddog Send a message via MSN to kingmaddog Send a message via Yahoo to kingmaddog
Default Foil vs. Coal Screen

Since I'm new to this and my hookah comes with a coal screen, I was wondering what everyones opinion is. Coal screen or foil?
Old September 8th, 2007, 12:03 AM
rowland
Hookah Newbie

Default Re: Foil vs. Coal Screen

Personally i prefer the coal screens. fast and easy, i am all for it. Course there are time foils is the only answer. I just bought a Tangiers Super Chief and while i like it the screens just wont fit it.

A huge advantage with a screen is that i can turn the screen easy as can be. Its just easier than moving the coals around.
Old September 8th, 2007, 12:14 AM
boomhauer
Banned

Send a message via AIM to boomhauer Send a message via Yahoo to boomhauer

i dont like the size of the holes on the screens. screens are very easy to use though, just plop them on and they are ready. they dont last forever though and you do have to replace them after so long so personally i see it just as good to use foil.

you get to choose how big are the holes and where they are placed for the perfect smoke. you can rotate the foil depending how you put it on, personally i rotate mine so the same thing a screen does in foil form . cleanup is a breeze with foil, i just use it to scoop out all the tobacco so no need to take it out with tongs or your fingers getting them dirty.
Old September 8th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

I only use foil. 1 layer of Heavy Duty Reynolds foil is all you need. I tried using a screen once on the combo bowl, and it's holes are smaller. After I cleared the base shisha stuck to the bottom and burned. I like the holes to be big around as a round toothpick. That works perfect for me. I have a small Super Chief as well so a screen isn't an option then.
Old September 8th, 2007, 11:21 AM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

I only used sceen once, not at my place, but didnt like the hole arrangement and heatmanagment. THe shisha burned much faster and was kind of uncontrolable. i use single thick foil or if only thin is available i use double foil.
Old September 8th, 2007, 11:45 AM
sznapsy
Hookah Nut

I believe that screen's will only work well with certain shisha's as well. Some brands seem to need different hole patterns to keep the heat in compared to others. You are just to set to one pattern which limits alot...
Old September 8th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

I have used both and have a handful of metal screens that I do not use. I prefer the foil, I have much more control over the heat that way. Besides the metal wont fit a medium phunnel.
Old September 8th, 2007, 09:49 PM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

I prefer the foil. The screens are to bulky. The holes are too big and they get way to hot

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"
Old September 9th, 2007, 11:23 AM
angemonkwj
Hookah Pro

the only time i use a screen is on my smiley bowl, other that that, foil FTW!!!!
Old September 10th, 2007, 09:59 PM
kingmaddog
Hookah Nut

Send a message via ICQ to kingmaddog Send a message via AIM to kingmaddog Send a message via MSN to kingmaddog Send a message via Yahoo to kingmaddog

Well I got my hookah today and smoked two bowls with it, one with a screen and one with foil. I found that the foil is alot better than the screen. The screen has too big of holes, and with the foil I make as many holes I want and what size I want. I also found that the smoke was thicker with the foil. As a matter of fact I threw out my screen already.
Old September 11th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Pbpredator
Hookah Nut

I really liked the healthy aluminum chips that ioann sent with the hookah i bought from him... they were really convenient... thick... and easy to poke holes through... i think i might look further into purchasing more of them...
Old September 11th, 2007, 02:56 AM
smoke-all-day
Hookah Pro

its too easy to burn the shisha with the screen. the screen that comes with the combo bowl is pretty sick though, but even so i would rather use foil with that bowl if i could. but more important is that there are no screens for phunnel bowls!
Old September 11th, 2007, 07:18 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

I Prefer foil to screens, but only because the screens are hard to clean and do rust after a while. It's nice, I've had some very good smokes with a metal screen (do NOT like glass screens), but I do prefer foil to the screen for cost, ease (use and clean up), and no worring about rust.
Old September 21st, 2007, 10:59 AM
kingmaddog
Hookah Nut

The guy at the smoke shop I went to yesterday told me that screens are safer because foil causes alzheimers
Old September 21st, 2007, 11:51 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

no, it's supposedly MASSIVE doses of alumnuim that help contripute to it, but they (the sciencists) still aren't sure. Each week they come up w/ new theorys behind why it's caused and what can help it. (I read Yahoo Health News daily - go check, they have new theory's everyday)

No joking, they even think that SMOKING can help ward off alzheimers.... wtheck?

unless you are vaporizing the foil and then inhaling the vapors (and it takes a good bit of heat to do this, I've seen ALUM catch on fire before) - you aren't gonna get enough aluimnuim in your body to do anything while smoking a hookah. if you fully 100% alum is that bad, then don't eat ANY canned foods, drink soda, use foil pans, cook w/ foil, get rid of 3/4'ers of the metal based items in your house.

I would think the CHROME plated metal screens would be worse off than a standard sheet of foil.
Old September 21st, 2007, 01:22 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

I think screens are whack! I tried using one once and it just burned the shisha and made it taste like crap...Foil is the right way to do it...you can control what size to make the holes and how they are spaced...with a screen, your kind of stuck with the huge holes they bring (which is what problaby causes the shisha to burn)...
Old September 23rd, 2007, 08:35 PM
sznapsy
Hookah Nut

I have used a coal screen multiple times and I can say it defiently ain't worth it. The holes on the screen are WAY too big, also the screens tent to become very dirty and whenever I clean them regardless of how well I dry them they tend to oxidate, and beome rusty.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook