Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Hookah Cough

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 8th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Default Hookah Cough

Is it real? I have noticed a small cough that comes and goes. It may be the crappy weather in New Orleans where I am forced to take Allegra because of the weather here. Never before in my life have I needed to take anything. So is it a real concern this so called hookah cough, or is it all in our heads?
Old September 8th, 2007, 02:49 PM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Hookah Cough

I never noticed that. As long as the tar is minimal in the smoke there shouldnt be any cough (unless you do smthing wrong, a bit unprobable for some1 with your experience) I been smoking for some years and i didnt notice any difference in my fitness, which show that there is minimal tar. Correct me if am wrong but i think its tar that make you cough, but anw i believe its usefull to know that i doesnt affect fitness (at least in my case).
Its probably your weather upthere.
Old September 8th, 2007, 02:54 PM
boomhauer
Banned

Send a message via AIM to boomhauer Send a message via Yahoo to boomhauer

your smoking, your putting something foreign in your lungs every time you smoke so after so long you may develop a slight cough. just common sense mostly
Old September 8th, 2007, 03:08 PM
merkaba
Hookah Nut

If I'm any indication, I smoke a minimum of 5 bowls a day (ventured within the realm of 11-12 on occasion). I've been smoking like that for about 6 months on an almost daily basis (keep in mind the only times that I'm not are when I'm out of coals or shisha).

The only times I've developed a cough is from terribly sketchy generic coals. And those coughs are usually accompanied with a bloody nose.

The only thing I really notice is headaches from carbon monoxide.
Old September 8th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

No cough here. From time to time certain flavors will give me a tickle in my throat. I just clear my throat a little and it goes away. When I used to smoke cigarettes I had a cough for sure. Waking up in the morning I'd cough and hack like an old geezer.
Old September 9th, 2007, 11:05 AM
sznapsy
Hookah Nut

Smoking harsh tobacco, or just having harsh smoke can cause irritation in your throat which will develop when your sleeping into perhaps a sore throat, or leave you vulnerable to getting a cough because some of your defenses will be done due to the burning. Harsh smoke if really bad can actually burn your throat...so just a tip: After adjusting coals or putting more on, take slower hits till your sure its not harsh. Taking a Full strength hit and its harsh can do some damage.
Old October 25th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

First of all I've got to say that smoking 5 times a day is very excessive and I can't imagine how anyone could find the time to do so.

As to coughing, I suppose that if you smoke for several hours a day and inhale you're asking for trouble. I know that low quality coals produce tons of CO and have a lot of particulate matter so that could be the cause of a cough as well. I know from some club members that using very small rigs results in higher CO levels during a session so i'd suggest a full sized narghile instead.

Personally, smoking has never caused me to suffer a sore throat or a cough but then I have never inhaled and I never smoke for more then 90 minutes a day and usually a lot less. If smoking is causing you problems even with a large, clean narghile & hose i'd say get a better coal and if that doesn't do it smoke less. Lastly, you may want to not inhale.
Old October 25th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

But I like to inhale!? I suppose I could try not to inhale as much though, that is probably a very good suggestion.

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old October 25th, 2007, 09:23 PM
floFSpro
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to floFSpro

i usually smoke at least one bowl a day, and i run about 3 miles a day. ive never
felt any adverse effects! I LOVE HOOHAH!
Old October 25th, 2007, 09:48 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Yeah.. Not inhaling, i can barely get enough smoke in my mouth to taste it when i do that. I would love to be able to, but i really can't. Not with a hookah atleast, i mean, i've smoked cigars for a while now, my uncle has showed me the tricks of the trade, i get clouds with cigars. But with a hookah, there's only so much motion i have with my tongue, and when i have to pull it so far, the only smoke i get is the smoke that was sitting in my hose.

Would you mind telling me how you go about not inhaling and still getting smoke? That's interesting..I wish i had that power. :P
Old October 30th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

It's funny to be ask how not to inhale as pretty much everyone I know that smokes (that is not on this board) doesn't inhale and I would have to make a conscious effort to smoke in a way other then how i've been doing it all these years. Basically, I smoke a little more vigorously then I do with a cigar in that I move my tongue and checks in such a way that just a moderate draw fills my mouth with smoke. While I can't say I don't bring any smoke into my throat or lungs it can't be much. I hold the smoke for a few seconds to fully savor the texture and taste.

The only time I do inhale is when I am getting a bowl going and I don't care much for the sensation of smoke in my lungs.

Since I never liked cigarettes and I have been a cigar and pipe fan for some time I am pretty conservative in my smoking style. I could care less about making big clouds but I almost always get a decent amount of smoke and a lot more then any cigar could produce.
Old October 30th, 2007, 11:54 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

I was very curious to how you went about doing that. i tried it again, but it was on one of the JandR style Syrians, and the draw is a tighter than normal, so it was actually much easier for me to not inhale and actually get some smoke. I need to start practicing that every session.
Old October 31st, 2007, 09:18 AM
DarkD3vil
Hookah Nut

your honestly all going to tell me you havent noticed any difference in your lung capacity?

before i smoked hookah i would run 10+ miles a day now i still run everyday but if i try to push it over 10 i get a horrible achyness in my lungs...
Old October 31st, 2007, 11:45 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I never could run 10 miles but health is great and I have no trouble going hunting or doing heavy labor although do to my age I am a good deal slower then I used to be. According my doctor my lung capacity is perfectly normal. I guess you need to smoke less or change the way you smoke.
Old October 31st, 2007, 01:41 PM
Martello
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Martello

I don't have a caugh at all. but it is a total fact that my breathing has been affected.
Markably so actually.

I am cutting back for a week.
Old October 31st, 2007, 02:49 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martello
I don't have a caugh at all. but it is a total fact that my breathing has been affected.
Markably so actually.

When you smoke I would suggest taking shallow draws remember to pause 30 seconds or so between draws. Slow, easy smoking doesn't make big clouds but it does use less shisha and helps you enjoy your smoking time more. I'd also suggest limiting your self to about an hour a day of smoking. Always smoke on a full stomach.
Old October 31st, 2007, 02:53 PM
Dr. Atkins
Hookah Newbie

Haven't noticed any decrease of endurance for soccer.
Old October 31st, 2007, 03:33 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

my friends a running back and co,mes and smokes every friday and saturday. They are in the 2nd or 3rd round of the playoffs and hes doing great.
Old November 1st, 2007, 06:32 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

i get something like this, but it's in my ribs (they'll hurt like i was sucker punched) - once that pain goes away, i get a cough for a day then it's gone. I know i drew in way too much smoke that session - I've been retraining myself NOT to draw deeply, only a few deep hits in a session. Makes the whole session last longer and the shisha not burn as fast. Plus... no side effects. Hajo has got a point (I changed the way I smoke because of an eariler post I made awhile ago about the same type of issue).
Old November 1st, 2007, 01:36 PM
DarkD3vil
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner
I never could run 10 miles but health is great and I have no trouble going hunting or doing heavy labor although do to my age I am a good deal slower then I used to be. According my doctor my lung capacity is perfectly normal. I guess you need to smoke less or change the way you smoke.
i hardly ever smoke anymore maybe once a twice a week as i am training for a triathlon. but with this infrequent of smoking i haven't noticed any decrease in lung capacity but when i was smoking everyday i could notice it my self.
Old November 8th, 2007, 04:07 AM
Martello
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Martello

I'll give it a shot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martello
Markably so actually.

When you smoke I would suggest taking shallow draws remember to pause 30 seconds or so between draws. Slow, easy smoking doesn't make big clouds but it does use less shisha and helps you enjoy your smoking time more. I'd also suggest limiting your self to about an hour a day of smoking. Always smoke on a full stomach.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 11:59 PM
MikeMo
Hookah Nut

i have a little one but i just always have a cough.
Old February 24th, 2009, 12:20 AM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

I cough like crazy after every run, kind of like the cig smokers do, but i do also have acute asthma, if i dont slow down at the right pace, ill have a pyscho coughing fit

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old February 24th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Buddhizzle
Hookah Pro

why necromancer mike, why?
Old February 24th, 2009, 05:56 AM
highlight
Hookah Nut

Smoking messes up your lungs period. Can you tell? Probably not unless you're involved in athletic activity. When I smoke I really can feel it in the gym or when riding the day after (especially). I freakin smoked 2 bowls with a friend on saturday and felt plus heard a wheeze yesterday that I know is from smoking. That freaked me out, so I gotta say I'm gonna b smoking less. And hopefully get my fitness up.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook