Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Just amazed at peoples ignorance

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 2nd, 2009, 03:04 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

Default Just amazed at peoples ignorance

I am just so surprised at how many people associate Hookahs with illegal substance use. I just purchased my very first Hookah and have been excited telling friends and family. I was totally shocked how many people had totally incorrect misconceptions of it!!
Even the internet service at my work blocks most searches of it!
WTH?
How sad that something that has been around for hundreds (if not more) years has such a bad rap!

just my two cents.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 03:10 PM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

Default Re: Just amazed at peoples ignorance

this is just like thinking anyone who buys a knife is evil because knives can be used to kill people ...... although most people buy them to make salads, prepare food ...etc.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 03:22 PM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

Stigma sucks...

it is up to all of us to be bearers of truth on the matter. Correct the misconceptions and fill the space with the facts.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 03:47 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

[FONT=Verdana]Welcome to the Fold of Explanation.... even at work, I always get the "EVIL" looks and BS. I've stopped using the word Hookah to refer to smoking, I try to use Shisha, Nargile and such not. Makes people ask "What's that?" and tends to lead to less criticism and nay-saying about it.[/FONT]
Old January 2nd, 2009, 03:49 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Thats exactly why we do not allow any illegal substance talk here, the stigma is aweful and we aim to change the view on the subject.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 03:50 PM
phatpride1
Hookah Pro

Dood welcome to my world, I get tagged all the time by College School police. Had my hookah taking away twice, and had my room search 3 times. So i just stop smoking at school and have to wait till i get in to a house or go back home.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 03:54 PM
Louayy
Hookah Nut

ignorance is bliss

let them think what they want

there missing out on the best thing on the planet
Old January 2nd, 2009, 04:18 PM
dwicker21
Hookah Nut

i convince everybody otherwise right off the bat.
my parents still believe i'm smoking something illegal, no matter how much i try and convince them i'm not. Some people will never change their opinions, but for those that are actually openminded, i let them know what it's about, the pros and cons, and let them try it for themselves.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 04:23 PM
Gift3d
Hookah Nut

I'm never surprised when someone misinterprets what a hookah is used for, because it happens a lot. I'll always explain to them what i'm smoking, what's in it (tobacco, molasses, glycerin) and how it's really meant to be enjoyed. That's all we can do really, is fill people with righteous hookah knowledge one by one! :P
Old January 2nd, 2009, 04:59 PM
xavier
Hookah Nut

i got the same criticism when i purchased my first hookah but after a few months of having it and explaining what it is i've managed to turn a few people onto hookah and know what the historical background is to it, they seem a lot more open to it now.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 05:19 PM
broken_eko
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatpride1 View Post
Dood welcome to my world, I get tagged all the time by College School police. Had my hookah taking away twice, and had my room search 3 times. So i just stop smoking at school and have to wait till i get in to a house or go back home.
Geez I'm glad my school's not that invasive. I can't smoke on campus but at least the ones who know aren't as bad as what you're dealing with. It is a private Christian school though, and I have to watch what I order. No worries though, I have friends in the Post Office
Old January 2nd, 2009, 05:41 PM
phatpride1
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_eko View Post
Geez I'm glad my school's not that invasive. I can't smoke on campus but at least the ones who know aren't as bad as what you're dealing with. It is a private Christian school though, and I have to watch what I order. No worries though, I have friends in the Post Office
No it is a state college. They are just a- holes about everything.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:08 PM
TheHookahStore
Vendor

I get that all the time. Just today I had someone insisting that hookahs were mainly used for XXXXX for thousands of years and that shisha is just a new thing. BAH! We all know better.

Last edited by Huskysibe; January 2nd, 2009 at 06:13 PM. Reason: illegal substance
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:58 PM
CPill
Hookah Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to CPill

+1 to everything said as of yet... but i also have a distaste for when people who smoke hookah, start a conversation with someone unfamiliar with it by first identifying that it's not for use with NHT. I don't even like to recognize the stigma in conversation at all, and only address that issue when someone brings it up. I don't like addressing the not traditional use, because the more info someone has about what it's intended use is, the more educated they will be. in my opinion

thankfully hookah is so saturated near my university that all of the police here know (and many smoke as well) what it is so they will only get on your case if you're within a certain amount of feet of doorways. and even then, they sometimes don't bother

Last edited by CPill; January 2nd, 2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 07:01 PM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

But at those times it was just a coconut shell with a pipe on top. Narguileh has been used for centuries for tobacco consumpion and has created a huge culture around it.

Last edited by Dunkel; January 2nd, 2009 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Edited out NHT mention.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 07:27 PM
Murkmastur
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to Murkmastur Send a message via Yahoo to Murkmastur

My parents flipped when I told them I got a hookah, but after giving the facts they started to calm down and just got used to it. They even smoke it with me if I get a flavor unique enough to spark their interest, or if I get something tobacco free like Saalaam.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 07:42 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

No more talk of illegal substances at all! A discussion about people perceptions is not an invite to break the rules.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 08:06 PM
jayrunner89
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jayrunner89

thats why i liked my last college it was so cool with it they had a hookah bar ran by the students
Old January 2nd, 2009, 08:32 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

ya , people are stupid in general, like the egyptian said about knives, same thing with fire arms, or any thing else that can be used for something illegal, or "bad".

i get the looks some times if i mention hookah, then explain it and usually its not an issue. but its the fact that it is an unusual item in common culture so youll get a look or 2.

you always have the a-holes that use things in ways that are not correct/legal/good what ever and give the other people doing the right things a bad rap along with making the other uneducated people "reason" to try and exclude/shun/ban the item

-matt
Old January 2nd, 2009, 08:42 PM
BigE
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGPOPPA View Post
I am just so surprised at how many people associate Hookahs with illegal substance use. I just purchased my very first Hookah and have been excited telling friends and family. I was totally shocked how many people had totally incorrect misconceptions of it!!
Even the internet service at my work blocks most searches of it!
WTH?
How sad that something that has been around for hundreds (if not more) years has such a bad rap!

just my two cents.
Don't you just hate that,It drives me insane,obviously they don't know anything about the internet either--neanderthals.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 10:04 PM
x_Odin_x
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to x_Odin_x

Thankfully my parents have an open mind, and my mom, to my surprise, was actually somewhat educated about hookahs, as she'd seen a special on it on the travel channel apparently?

So they didn't have a problem with it. All of my other friends I tell, however... the first thing they ask about are the illegal substances. Lame in my opinion.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 10:17 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_Odin_x View Post
Thankfully my parents have an open mind, and my mom, to my surprise, was actually somewhat educated about hookahs, as she'd seen a special on it on the travel channel apparently?

So they didn't have a problem with it. All of my other friends I tell, however... the first thing they ask about are the illegal substances. Lame in my opinion.
ya my mom was a nurse and was pretty cool with it

my friends arent too bad with the hookah since most of the smoke but when i told them i was learning how to blow glass then i got a lot of comments from them about that

-matt
Old January 2nd, 2009, 11:56 PM
gigdarling25
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to gigdarling25

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_Odin_x View Post

LOL! i'm so glad my mom watched that. I told her i was going to buy one and i explained everything in careful detail and she's alright with it.

but she DID have the misperception that it was only a man's thing

:\ darn travel channel. but..thank goodness travel channel.

hooray!
Old January 3rd, 2009, 01:45 AM
tzighy
Hookah Nut

Send a message via Yahoo to tzighy

Romania seems to be one of the more open minded countries, from what i see here. I've never had any problem with people thinking something else than what hookah truely is, seems that everyone around here knows what you put inside a hookah
Old January 3rd, 2009, 04:03 AM
QuakeHookah
Hookah Nut

awww ya
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook