Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

2 things I'm wondering about

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 5th, 2009, 12:34 AM
kidpoker11
Hookah Newbie

Default 2 things I'm wondering about

1. My girlfriend hates the smell of smoke in our apartment when I'm smoking and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good air filter systems from like sharper image or whatever that would suck up the smoke.

2. I have a problem with ashing on the floor when I'm handling my coals. What I'm wondering is what I could put on the floor that would help protect my carpet from burn marks.

Thx guys!
Old January 5th, 2009, 12:38 AM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin
Default Re: 2 things I'm wondering about

don't know much about the filtration, but I keep a round silver(ish) platter on the floor under my shisha. It usually catches any ash that the tray might miss.
Old January 5th, 2009, 12:38 AM
ChronicHookah
Banned

1, short of getting a new gf idk, but when i used to smoke in my house it was quite plesant for non smokers, what do you smoke?
2 if you can get a spare tile, the bigger the better, you can set your hookh on it giving space for if the coal accidentally falls off.
Old January 5th, 2009, 12:40 AM
prince of hooka
Hookah Nut

[FONT=Verdana]I don?t know about the filter system but as far as what you could put down i would suggest you go to a place that sells like that plastic that goes on top of carpet and get like a 4'x4' piece of it and put your shisha in the middle of it then you could sweep the ash off when you are done, and it is also thick enough that the little ashes wont burn through it[/FONT]
________
Lovely Wendie

Last edited by prince of hooka; April 22nd, 2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old January 5th, 2009, 12:41 AM
ByronSA
Hookah Pro

get some better smelling tobacco maybe? how can anyone hate the smell of the smoke, maybe it's the coal smell she doesn't like....what coals are you using? and get another carpet to put under your hookah when you're smoking
Old January 5th, 2009, 01:12 AM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronSA View Post
get some better smelling tobacco maybe? how can anyone hate the smell of the smoke, maybe it's the coal smell she doesn't like....what coals are you using? and get another carpet to put under your hookah when you're smoking
Don't you think something burn resistant/non-flamable might be a better idea? I'm jus' sayin'.
Old January 5th, 2009, 01:15 AM
pharm
Hookah Nut

i used a cookie tray to catch the ashes, but as far as your girl not liking the smoke, the mystery is what you smoke
Old January 5th, 2009, 01:16 AM
ByronSA
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu ronin View Post
Don't you think something burn resistant/non-flamable might be a better idea? I'm jus' sayin'.
very true, but he jus said he wanted somethin to protect his carpet. i'm sure he could get something that would work better than another carpet though
Old January 5th, 2009, 01:39 AM
gigdarling25
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to gigdarling25

omfg, she doesn't like the smell of hookah smoke? Its like an air freshener! It's like having candles X 10.
Old January 5th, 2009, 02:05 AM
jpra51
Hookah Newbie

I'm using a honeywell brand air purifier. It uses a HEPA filter (high efficiency particulate air filter) that removes like 99.7% of stuff in the air. But it is the prefilter, activated carbon, which wraps around the filter that actually removes the smoke smell. I used to smoke in my apartment all the time and I would have the baclony door open (the screen door shut still) and the purifier was on all the time on 'low' but i would put it to 'med' or 'high' when I smoked. No one could ever smell anything from the hookah 30minutes later.

However, smoking in my room where there is not as much fresh air coming in, I found the smoke would settle on fabrics, ie carpets and bedding, and the smell would linger. The living room had wood flooring. After smoking and using the purifier and some air freshner, it would take a few hours for the smell to greatly dissipate and half a day to barely notice it and then a day to not notice it at all. Sorry if this isn't the answer you're looking for, but I think carpets really do absorb a lot of odors.

On the other hand, after taking a big hit and blowing thick smoke into the filter, my friend could not smell anything at all (no smoke came out just air) from the outlet fan.
Old January 5th, 2009, 02:43 AM
FusionX
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FusionX

yea if i smoke in my room with the window open... the smoke settles on the fabrics and it lingers for a good half day. Image sitting and smelling earl gray all day lol
Old January 5th, 2009, 03:45 AM
kidpoker11
Hookah Newbie

thx for the responses guys. She's a smoker herself, it's just that she doesn't want the smell to linger in things. I smoke mostly starbuzz fruit flavors and she doesn't have a real complaint about the smell, it's the smell that stays around in the apartment I was wondering about.
Old January 5th, 2009, 04:08 AM
gigdarling25
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to gigdarling25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidpoker11 View Post
thx for the responses guys. She's a smoker herself, it's just that she doesn't want the smell to linger in things. I smoke mostly starbuzz fruit flavors and she doesn't have a real complaint about the smell, it's the smell that stays around in the apartment I was wondering about.
oooh... febreeze?
Old January 5th, 2009, 10:11 AM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

I smoke SB like an old fireplace in my bedroom and my wife never complains
Old January 5th, 2009, 11:19 AM
nmcgrawj
Hookah Nut

Fantasia Pink Lemonade smells GOOD smoking....maybe try a different flavor like people mentioned above.

I use a cheap front door mat to catch ashes and the occasional dropped coal. It has a few burn marks....but has protected the carpet below just fine. A tile or something similar would be more "burn resistant" but you'd be hard pressed to get something the same size as a doormat....for the price. You would have to drop a red hot coal....and let it sit there....for a long time to get through the carpet to the carpet below.

Good luck!
Old January 5th, 2009, 11:29 AM
x_Odin_x
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to x_Odin_x

If you're worried about dropping your coals, stay away from QL's, specifically 3k. When those babies get dropped, they smash and crumble into a bajillion red-hot pieces.

As far as something to protect your carpet, I'd stick with either something metal or ideally ceramic, because straight up plastic can burn and melt from hot ash/embers, the smell is horrid, and then your gf will really have something to complain about.

Last edited by x_Odin_x; January 5th, 2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old January 5th, 2009, 12:14 PM
hookahplayer21
Hookah Nut

Blow your smoke into a hand vac? Don't know if this works, but worth trying.
Old January 5th, 2009, 12:59 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Those things do absorb smokes, but the smell doesn't linger or reek for more then half an hour.

If she hates the smell of "smoke" then she will probably be like '"why does it smell like watermelon in here?" not "Eww stop smoking!".

You can use a thick old rug, from the DI or something, you can sue those plastic things for offices that are for chairs to roll along smoothly (plastic rugs), you can use big squares of tiles and just place them down where you smoke.
Old January 5th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Cj Two A
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidpoker11 View Post
1. My girlfriend hates the smell of smoke in our apartment when I'm smoking and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good air filter systems from like sharper image or whatever that would suck up the smoke.
Ummm, my friend john lives in university dorms so when he's smoking stuff he uses a filter he made to exhale through. It's an empty water bottle with holes poked in the bottom and filled with dryer sheets. I don't know how well it would work for hookah, ive never had reason to try it. But it seems to work fine for his purposes, he uses it a lot. :/
Old January 5th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

i smoked in my old apartment for nearly 3 years. it never settled like cigarettes do. my roommate smoked cigarettes in his room and his room smelled like complete shit.
Old January 5th, 2009, 10:54 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

ya, not sure how shes noticing much of a smell a while after it and even the light smell that can linger im not sure why she dislikes it (each person is different but still)

try a hepa air filter with a charcoal prefilter, that should kick out most smell

or better yet just cook something that smells strong right after you smoke, that should cover it till it settles

as to keeping stuff on your carpet, get a smaller area rug but ash still will get on the floor so you will just have to vacuum, the sparks shouldnt burn anything, now dropping a coal is a different story
-matt
Old January 6th, 2009, 12:04 AM
1lowtoy
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to 1lowtoy Send a message via Yahoo to 1lowtoy

I use a very large area rug where i smoke to catch the ash and accidental droping of coals also i have a large sheet of 22 gauge of stainless on top of that just in case ive been very clumsy in the past with my coals so ide rather be safe than sorry. As for your smell issue i light my natural and ql in my house and smoke in the same room ever night and have absolutly no complaints the only thing i can ever smell is the sweet smell of the un smoked tobacco emulating from the cabinate i store it in. For me and my wife we think its a very plesent smell. But as many have stated use some type of filtration unit ill have to check but i think consumer reports just did a review on several reasonably priced units. My wife is always reading Consumer Reports for some reason.
Old January 6th, 2009, 12:48 AM
TheHookahStore
Vendor

For the smell, try any air purifier that generates ozone and it will kill the smell very quickly. Here is a link to the product I use. http://www.alpineairproducts.com/ Filters don't work well unless ALL the smoke passes thru them and even then, not so good.

And as far as protecting the floor, I have tried using a cookie tray but the problem is, if you drop a coal, it is likely to bounce off and land on the carpet anyway. But a nice large carpet won't have that problem. If it is just ash you are worried about, then a cookie tray works great.
Old January 6th, 2009, 02:36 AM
Ninorey123
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Ninorey123

haha i have the same problem with the people i live with here. what i do is open a window and use a fan to blow everything out of it. as shown in my videos. then a spray of fabreeze and your good.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook