Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

heat problems with HH and HF

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 7th, 2009, 01:18 PM
vcitriniti
Deleted Per User Request

Default heat problems with HH and HF

[FONT=Verdana]I smoked HH and HF for the first time last week but it is giving me some problems. I am using a small and medium size Tangiers phunnel bowl with a scallis mod, 3 coconara coals, and heavy duty foil. I am new to this brand but I find it to be a bit on the dry side from what I am normally used to from other brands. I was thinking that may be the problem but I have read many good things about this brand in the forum.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Normally it starts out smoking ok. But I find it quickly burns and the whole area will smell of burnt popcorn. I have tried using only 2 coconara coals but the coals go out before I ever get any decent smoke.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]So far I have only tried blueberry pancakes, dazed and confused, smashing pumpkins, crazy monkey, and key lime pie. I havenít wanted to try any of the others I ordered. They all start out ok but like I said it all becomes burnt popcorn after about 10 minutes.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Any help you guys can give me would be appreciated. I want to start posting reviews so I am want to make sure I am doing this right before I do. Thanks.[/FONT]
Old January 7th, 2009, 01:26 PM
esisomsun
Hookah Pro

Default Re: heat problems with HH and HF

maybe bc ur using 3coals, try using two or one & 1/2
hh & hf are pretty dry compared to other brands
+ the cut is so fine and small, that it heats up quicker

i smoke hh&hf a lot.. i loosely pack my bowls and start off w/ 2-3 coals to heat it up(10mins) and then remove one for the rest of the session.. never had a problem
Old January 7th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Bojangles
Hookah Nut

I find that smoking HH or HF with fewer coals but in combination with a windcover gives pretty good results.
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:37 PM
FusionX
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FusionX

when i smoke HH / HF instead of making the peace symbol holes in the foil...
I make 3 trips around bowl in a circular pattern... going from the outside in
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:42 PM
ninemillimeter
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4g3dSkillz View Post
when i smoke HH / HF instead of making the peace symbol holes in the foil...
I make 3 trips around bowl in a circular pattern... going from the outside in
im so used to my vortex (thanks again, eddie!) and phunnel (thanks again, dunkel!) that even when i use my egyptian bowls i end up doing the circles from the outside. ive found it takes longer to burn any kind of tobacco.

when smoking hh/hf i usually use either one big round QL or a traingular sinbad QL and break them up into little bits and spread them around the circle. that method with a windcover has fixed my heat management issues with these brands
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Stop trying to go for big clouds ... you will BURN the tobacco! (hence, don't put a lot of coal)

Get a normal bowl, or vortex ... stop wasting tobacco in a giant medium phunnel! (sorry but I just feel like this is a waste, a small phunnel yeah, but a medium or large is just overkill)

Ok, with that said ..
Setup your bowl loosely with 1/4" between the foil and top of the tobacco. Put on two small pieces of coal if it is a vortex, or one piece if it is a standard bowl. Slide a windcover over the bowl, or make one out of aluminum. Just enough to keep a little heat around the bowl. It will smoke like a champ! you don't need a lot of heat and you don't need a ton of tobacco .. it will smoke fine in a standard bowl with minimal coal and a windcover.

Cheers!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:54 PM
kingboyb
Banned

HH and HF can be very fickle when it comes to heat. Reduce your heat and you will get better results.
Old January 7th, 2009, 03:26 PM
vcitriniti
Deleted Per User Request

With the mod I use less tobacco and I pretty much stick with the small phunnel, the medium is just way too big and it does waste a lot of tobacco. Also I am pretty sure that with the mod it turns it into a vortex bowl. But I will pick one up on my next order.

I am not trying to go for big clouds here but with only 2 coconara it feels like it is not burning at all. I get little to no taste and I end up just adding an extra charcoal 10 minutes in. It always starts out nice, I loved blueberry pancakes couldnt really taste the pancakes but the blueberry flavor was nice. Problem is it turns into burnt popcorn really fast. I am going to try it again tonight with the windcover and see how it goes.

Thanks for the tips guys I will try it out and let you know how it goes.
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

The windcover will make a world of difference! and allow you to use less coal - saving you MONEY!

Play with the height of the tobacco and the holes .. with the windcover you will find it puts out more heat with less coal! I put a bunch of random small holes (pin size) around the bowl with about 1/4" to 1/8" distance between the foil and tobacco.

Cheers!

~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcitriniti View Post
Also I am pretty sure that with the mod it turns it into a vortex bowl. But I will pick one up on my next order.
No it doesn't actually. The Vortex bowl pulls from near the top, the holes are almost at the top of the middle. A MOD directs the heat down through the tobacco and that is whats helping you burn it, along with four coals. You'll get better results from a standard bowl or Vortex when using HH/HF and Baja type tobaccos.
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:38 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

You have to be very careful when smoking HH and HF, they are very light shisha styles and burn at the drop of a hat. I would recommend using 2 coconara and a windcover, and if that isn't enough, add a third coal and let it sit on there for maybe 5 minutes and then take it off, just to boost he heat inside the windcover.
Old January 7th, 2009, 05:47 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

What I do is I use a small phunnel and 1/2 a stick of exoticas, which are cut in half.

I then add a windcover and let it heat up for about 5 minutes and then I start to draw a few hits to warm up a lil more. After a few good puffs, its good and smoking
Old January 7th, 2009, 07:34 PM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

when I smoke HH/ HF, I only use a windcover to "warm up the bowl" or to make the coals last longer at then end of a session.

I also make SUPER TINY HOLES, lots of them, but very tiny , usually use a stick pin or a push pin and make tons of holes.

If you feel it getting harsh, remove coals until it's not harsh, let it "cool down" or it will burn the bowl.

I also don't use conco's but use 2 pieces of exotica. Been smoking hh/hf since I started. I still like it

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"
Old January 7th, 2009, 07:38 PM
xavier
Hookah Nut

whenever smoking HH/HF i only use one QL or two coconaras with a wind cover and can smoke for around 1hr to 1hr 1/2
Old January 7th, 2009, 08:19 PM
vcitriniti
Deleted Per User Request

So i should just take the mod out? I was going to order a vortex in my last order but I was reading that because they are made by hand you may get a bowl that has holes are very close to the bottom of the bowl and not at the top.

Ill try it out again with the windcover and see if it helps. What about maybe two sheets of foil? I am going to play around with it see if I can get this right. Thanks again guys for the help.
Old January 7th, 2009, 09:33 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

I don't think vortexes are made by hand.. maybe the holes in them are, but not the bowl itself.

Keep the Mod in your phunnel, if the coal directly touches your HH tobacco, consider it dead.
Old January 7th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcitriniti View Post
So i should just take the mod out? I was going to order a vortex in my last order but I was reading that because they are made by hand you may get a bowl that has holes are very close to the bottom of the bowl and not at the top.

Ill try it out again with the windcover and see if it helps. What about maybe two sheets of foil? I am going to play around with it see if I can get this right. Thanks again guys for the help.
The hole issue was detected right after release, and fixed. Even if you were to get an old stock one with low holes, which we did, Sahara eagerly sent out a replacement that was correct. And the Vortex works just as well keeping the foil off the shisha, thats why the center is level with the outer rim.
Old January 7th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Smoked some Atomic Fireball tonight followed by some Spiced Apple Cider was a couple nice bowls! you don't even want to know what was for dessert! YOU'd all be jealous!

Old January 8th, 2009, 01:43 AM
vcitriniti
Deleted Per User Request

So i tried it again tonight. I smoked blueberry pancakes and smashing pumpkins. But I am still having the same problem. It didnt burn this time but with less charcoal it almost didnt even heat up enough to get any smoke or flavor at all. I tried starting with 3 coals and then removing one, it wasnt bad at first but a few minutes after i removed the charcoal it just wasnt enough heat. It just felt like a waste of charcoal. I think I am going to just wait until I buy a vortex bowl before trying this brand again. I am going to place an order tomorrow and should have it by next week. I will let you guys know how it goes.
Old January 8th, 2009, 01:58 AM
jayrunner89
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jayrunner89

i go one coal on my standard bowl and a nice tight made windcover on it and be sure to move that coal when u start to get that burnt taste, not much of big clouds but i had big taste
Old January 8th, 2009, 02:07 AM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Idk, I get a lot of taste out of a phunnel.

OH YEAH!

I've noticed that HD foil imo is a too thick for HH and takes the bowl FOREVER to heat up.

So, I just use no name brand regular foil and the thick ness is just right. Try it

Also, do small holes for the phunnel bowl. Bigger holes tend to make the tobacco burn friggen quick.
Old January 8th, 2009, 02:15 AM
vcitriniti
Deleted Per User Request

I will give that a shot. I didn't want to risk using normal foil I thought it would be way too thin and the tobacco would just burn quicker. I just put an order in for a vortex bowl so we will see how it goes when that arrives.
Old January 8th, 2009, 02:24 AM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Eek I meant DOUBLE FOIL of regular foil! lmao sorry that I didn't add that in :P
Old January 8th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

small holes, windcover, and light on the coal ... trust us I helped Jay out with it .. and like he said you are not going to get BIG clouds .. but you will get BIG flavor! If you go for clouds, you will burn it ..

Old January 8th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

1/4 of an Exotica and a windcover, pack it fluffy to just under the rim of the bowl, foil it tight, and poke whatever hole pattern you like. I have smoked dozens if not a hundred bowls of HH and HF and I've burnt 2 bowls. They were burnt using a pyrex bowl that I never use anymore.
Share with your friends on facebook