Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Problem with Coconara.

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 10th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Donnie
Hookah Nut

Default Problem with Coconara.

Hey,

Just got my Coconara coals just to see what the hype was about. Must say, I am pretty dissapointed with their performance thus far. They take about 7 mins with a blow torch to light up red, and even then I can see black sports inside the coal. Does that mean its not lit properly? Also, I need to switch the coal sides every ten mins otherwise it dies, and lastly, it also adds a distinct taste to my flavours, like a coconut taste.

What am I doing wrong? Is it not lit enough, or have I just got a bad batch?
Old January 10th, 2009, 05:57 AM
BigDog327
Hookah Newbie

Default Re: Problem with Coconara.

i dont know about the taste your getting but i also got some coconara's to try and they were very similar to quick light coals in my case, besides the fact i heated them on my stove.

I was using 3 of them and they barely lasted 45 minutes, they ashed like quick lights and my overall opinion is i would not recommend them. they might not leave the black residue on your hands but id like to try the ******* hookah coals to compare.

So i dont know if you got a bad batch or the quality is just going down hill...
Old January 10th, 2009, 06:09 AM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Pssh!

I had the same probs. They are good, they just ash funky and have a horrible after taste, even if they are FULLY lit.

yup, with coconut coals, you have to flip 'em like ya just did.

Last but not least...These things EXPLODE! You guys have NOOO idea on how many small, black spots I have all over the "hookah towel" I put under my hookah during smoking. These just happened because:

1. If you squeeze your tongs too hard while its holding cocos, embers go everywhere.
2. You barely blow on the coals to get them red hot and sparks go everywhere.

What you just described is what coconaras usually do imo. You did not get a bad batch, they are just like that
Old January 10th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

About time some folks tell the truth about caca nara's. They take longer than any other coal I've used to light, they need to be flipped every 5-10 minutes or they start going out and give off an nasty wood taste, they ash like sand which I hate, and 1 is not enough for a standard Egyptian bowl and 2 is too much. I didn't even mention that they are expensive. I'll keep using Exoticas until something truly superior shows up. Sure a batch here and there are crumbly, but it's not as big a hassle as coconut coals.
Old January 10th, 2009, 07:26 AM
jayrunner89
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jayrunner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkel View Post
About time some folks tell the truth about caca nara's. They take longer than any other coal I've used to light, they need to be flipped every 5-10 minutes or they start going out and give off an nasty wood taste, they ash like sand which I hate, and 1 is not enough for a standard Egyptian bowl and 2 is too much. I didn't even mention that they are expensive. I'll keep using Exoticas until something truly superior shows up. Sure a batch here and there are crumbly, but it's not as big a hassle as coconut coals.
i love the honesty of dunk
Old January 10th, 2009, 03:48 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

i found using a torch to light them does not work you need a coil burner. when i was under lighting them i was getting a taste.

if they are going out (i had this problem the first few times i tried them) it means you didnt get it lit all the way, the side that is down turns black but its not an issue, i honestly only flip coconut style coals 3 times in a session tops, lately ive just been moving them instead of flipping and have had good luck.

as to the cocos exploding, ya, but i think that is just the nature of small pieces of charcoal, these can be pretty bad when they get small but you learn real quick how to handle them when they are small (and light touch is all you need).

i like cocos, they have the lest smell to me when lighting up and leave the least coal smell in the room and last a very long time, they are just expensive.

side by side to CH naturals the cocos are better if you dont look at price but the CH coals are cheaper and light faster so i can deal with the extra light up smell and touch of residual smell and slightly faster burning.

if you are in the states go get a single coil burner, i promise you will be happier with it, than a blow torch. it heats it up slower than a torch does but the heat penetrates where as the torch lights the out side but the heat doesnt penetrate in

-matt
Old January 10th, 2009, 04:31 PM
vegasvic
Hookah Nut

Here's a tip. Make a tent (er, more of a teepee) out of heavy duty foil, shiny side facing in. It should have a circumference a little larger than the coil ring on your burner. It also needs an opening at the top.

Place you coals on the burner, place the tent over the top. 6 minutes = red hot coconaras.
Old January 10th, 2009, 07:29 PM
nmcgrawj
Hookah Nut

that's odd....it takes more ******* naturals to give the heat fewer cocos give. Mine ash much much less than other coals especially quick lights.

I prefer cocos over ******* naturals. I'll have to try exoticas. ******* quicklites are without a doubt the best quicklite IMO
Old January 10th, 2009, 09:48 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcgrawj View Post
that's odd....it takes more ******* naturals to give the heat fewer cocos give. Mine ash much much less than other coals especially quick lights.

I prefer cocos over ******* naturals. I'll have to try exoticas. ******* quicklites are without a doubt the best quicklite IMO
ive only found that the CHs dont give as much heat later on but they give about the same heat at light up
-matt
Old January 10th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I like the coconaras! A LOT!

They last a long time, ash very little (it's weird how little they ash) and they give off no smell/taste while smoking. Lighting them up they produce a little smell, but not as much as some other coals in the same realm.

Coconaras are A+ in my book .. but that's just my opinion ..

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook