Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Dry, Smoke-less shisha...

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 13th, 2009, 05:38 PM
rhynny
Hookah Newbie

Unhappy Dry, Smoke-less shisha...

Hi! Forum virgin here, so I'm not sure if this had been asked before. I've tried searching through the older thread but...

Anyway I was wondering, I've been smoking shisha for a year now, have my own pipe, worked in a shisha cafe, tried many many brands and flavour of molasses before but this is the first time I've come across this problem. I just bought a 200g box of Mixed Fruit Nakhla tobacco. I opened it and I noticed straight away that it was very dry, as in properly dry, it was even strangely crystalised all over. I tried it as it was with 2 disks of coal but there was no smoke coming out of it at all. I cleaned my pipe and hose, checked the water level, checked if the pipe was airtight and punched more holes through the foil but nothing. I tried again, this time added a bit of the fresh herbal stuff I keep handy on top, there was a bit of smoke and all I could taste was the orange Soex. Then I tried again this time I put the Nakhla tobacco in an airtight jar, added water to wet it and put a foil on top and closed and shook. I tried smoking it again but I inhaled and inhaled til I was light headed and alas, no smoke. By this time I was ready to kill someone.

Now I know Nakhla is supposed to be dry, but this was ridiculous. I have had Nakhla before (as a matter of fact I just finished the last of my Rose). And I have had dry-ish tobacco before (when I didn't store it properly) but it still smoked properly. Has anyone had this problem before? What should I do? My question is, is it expired? There was no expiration date anywhere in the packaging. Or is it defective in some other way? Should I take it back to the retailer? I'm not sure how they'll react seeing as I made the mistake of wetting the whole batch (but its really pale and the smell is all muted). Should I add honey? or Glycerin? Or is it hopeless? I don't want to just throw it away.

The worst thing is that I paid 15 for the 200g box. Daylight robbery when I usually buy mine for 7 in another city.

Please help?
Old January 13th, 2009, 05:42 PM
ByronSA
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Dry, Smoke-less shisha...

yeah try adding some glycerin and make sure you mix it really well. if that doesn't work, just get another box cuz nakhla mixed fruits is great! and i didn't even know they made a 200g box of nakhla..15 is absurd though
Old January 13th, 2009, 05:45 PM
speel
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to speel

Welcome,...something that might help you is a little vegetable glycerine put about a tea spoon worth in your bowl and mix it up that should help you out
Old January 13th, 2009, 05:47 PM
HookahGuru
Hookah Nut

Just get a new box maybe you grabbed a really old one, the big problem here is paying 15 for 200g box.

ALSO , how can u smoke rose! Nasty!
Old January 13th, 2009, 05:49 PM
rhynny
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronSA View Post
yeah try adding some glycerin and make sure you mix it really well. if that doesn't work, just get another box cuz nakhla mixed fruits is great! and i didn't even know they made a 200g box of nakhla..15 is absurd though
I know it really is exorbitant. I was very reluctant to buy it but its the only shop that sells shisha stuff in this town. And the owner keeps saying its all because of taxes. Otherwise I'd have to go to Birmingham or Coventry. I'm too impatient to buy online.

Glycerin...should I just pop in Boots and ask for the edible one or should I go to a health food store?
Old January 13th, 2009, 05:52 PM
ByronSA
Hookah Pro

i don't know what boots is, but i think any vegetable glycerin would work fine. i got mine at a health food store
Old January 13th, 2009, 05:53 PM
rhynny
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookahGuru View Post
Just get a new box maybe you grabbed a really old one, the big problem here is paying 15 for 200g box.

ALSO , how can u smoke rose! Nasty!
Rose is actually quite good! I didn't like it at first too, actually I stopped smoking it after 2 puffs at first but I left the box open in my drawer for 6 months and it tasted quite good after that actually.

Yeah 15! and 1.50 for a roll of coal. And I used a whole roll trying to find out what was wrong with this thing
Old January 13th, 2009, 05:56 PM
rhynny
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronSA View Post
i don't know what boots is, but i think any vegetable glycerin would work fine. i got mine at a health food store
Vegetable glycerin...I will keep that in mind thanks! Actually I saw in another forum someone said to marinate the tobacco in organic jam/marmalade and leave in the fridge for a few hours...do you know if that works?

Boots is a huge pharmacy chain in the UK...
Old January 13th, 2009, 05:57 PM
HookahGuru
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhynny View Post
Rose is actually quite good! I didn't like it at first too, actually I stopped smoking it after 2 puffs at first but I left the box open in my drawer for 6 months and it tasted quite good after that actually.

Yeah 15! and 1.50 for a roll of coal. And I used a whole roll trying to find out what was wrong with this thing

You should order online if you can, better prices and more choices!

I tried rose and i felt like i was smoking perfume, not for me I guess.
Old January 13th, 2009, 07:50 PM
DaGreyEst
Hookah Nut

something similar happens to me whenever i buy Nakhla locally, the best thing i can suggest isstay away from glycerin and instead use honey to hydrate the shisha a bit, just open it all up and drizzle a small amout over the whole batch and mix well, you might want to let it sit for a but before smokeing though, this has worked well for me when i get dry cherry nakhla. glycerin will leave a nasty film in your mouth,
Old January 13th, 2009, 07:54 PM
rhynny
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGreyEst View Post
something similar happens to me whenever i buy Nakhla locally, the best thing i can suggest isstay away from glycerin and instead use honey to hydrate the shisha a bit, just open it all up and drizzle a small amout over the whole batch and mix well, you might want to let it sit for a but before smokeing though, this has worked well for me when i get dry cherry nakhla. glycerin will leave a nasty film in your mouth,
Ooh! I'll try that with a small portion, thanks! I'm actually marinading a very small portion in marmalade right now (I read that it freshens up dry shisha)
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook