Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Ok, so this is the part where I ask a stupid question...wind covers...

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 17th, 2009, 01:55 PM
thegirlwonder
Hookah Newbie

Default Ok, so this is the part where I ask a stupid question...wind covers...

I like to over-analyze things and this is my latest subject. Before I spend the rest of the day online trying to determine which wind cover is best I thought I'd see if anyone has any suggestions/advice. I just don't want to make too many noob mistakes here (I read that post, btw). Note that most of the time I'm smoking inside, so I know it's not necessary, but I've got Coconut coals on my mind right now and after watching Sambooka's review, well I'd say he knows a thing or two and as for me I'm just going on woman's intuition here...(probably not as reliable)...

I was considering one from Hookah-Shisha because it comes in bronze and gold:

http://www.hookah-shisha.com/store/pc/configurePrd.asp?idproduct=1044

BUT it doesn't have a handle to take it off for coal management...it just kind of sounds like it might be a nuisance to have to have a pair of gloves around inside...Idanno...

I found only one other bronze wind cover, but it looks kind of weird (cheap?) to me:

http://www.socialsmoke.com/item--Bra...WINDCOVB2.html

Then there's one at HC and since I had a good experience with them, I'd feel comfortable buying...only thing is that it's not brass (do you think I'm I being ridiculous about the "brass" thing?)

http://www.hookahcompany.com/premium_egyptian_wind_cover_3301_prd1.htm

Anyway...would appreciate your opinion (at your convenience)

zeegirlwonder
Old January 17th, 2009, 02:04 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Default Re: Ok, so this is the part where I ask a stupid question...wind covers...

It doesnt really matter as long as it can fit over the bowl. If aestetics are important to you then go for the brass.

Also many people use windcovers for 100% of their sessions (myself included and I almost always smoke inside). It helps with heat management and allows you to use fewer coals.
Old January 17th, 2009, 02:08 PM
kidpoker11
Hookah Newbie

Default Re: Ok, so this is the part where I ask a stupid question...wind covers...

I bought my large wind cover from Hookah John and I like it alot. They are plain and simple accessory that I wouldn't put much thought into buying a specific one.
Old January 17th, 2009, 02:12 PM
denali7432
Banned

the premium egyptian one looks great

Old January 17th, 2009, 02:20 PM
chain
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlwonder View Post
i have this one in black and we just put a small screw driver through one of the holes to lift it off. works like any other wind cover i assume :P but i really like the look of this one. and for some reason the link if broken for me but i believe this is the one you're talking about

http://www.hookah-shisha.com/store/p...idproduct=1044
Old January 17th, 2009, 02:26 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

All wind are the same, i would say go for a tall one so if you get a km in the future you can use it with that as well
Old January 17th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

it doesn't matter. Just get one. I didn't use one when I first started smoking and once I did, I'll never go back to not using one.
Old January 17th, 2009, 02:46 PM
vegasvic
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradedup View Post
It doesnt really matter as long as it can fit over the bowl.
This is key. I have at least 4 windcovers, including the "Tall" from CH/HJ, and none of them fit. You see, I usually smoke using a phunnel bowl on a KM stem. This is a double-whammy; a tall bowl on top of a stem that extends fairly high above the tray.

So, I balance this one on top of a pair of tongs. That's as close to a MacGyver move as I care to pull off. But I'm sure I could have made a perfectly-fitting windcover in about :30 minutes when I was in seventh grade metal shop (instead of all those makeshift ninja stars).

Another opportunity for an enterprising hookah vendor....
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:03 PM
dragginskulls
Hookah Newbie

I just use a super basic one I got from a local shop for $5. Its plain with stars cut in it and a dome with a hole in the top lol. Works like a champ, but with my hookah I have to sit a pair of tongs under the windcover for it to clear my bowl. It doesnt bug me though because I keep the tongs there anyhow and it works just fine. In other words, pick one that looks nice, they will all work the same
Old January 17th, 2009, 04:06 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Get either the tall one from HookahCompany, or the shorter one from there. Steer clear of Hookah-Shisha windcovers, they are cheap crap.
Old January 17th, 2009, 04:15 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

i'll take a pic of the standard egyptian one i use. I had made a cylinder out of like 5 layers of aluminum foil around the bottom. I then took the cyliner off and compacted the foil layers down as much as possible. then I folded over the foil at the ends a bit so it wont fray or anything. I wrapped it back around the cover and put a bead of glue around it and it's been perfect ever since.

Old January 17th, 2009, 05:49 PM
xavier
Hookah Nut

i got one with my hookah from H-S it works fine and thats with a phunnel it just barely makes it but its the only one i've been using, it stainless steel
Old January 17th, 2009, 06:18 PM
jayrunner89
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jayrunner89

i just make my own with tin foil
Old January 18th, 2009, 04:17 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

you just want one that fits and gives a little room around the bowl

it doesnt need to be anything special just no coating and nothing that will give anything off from heat

-matt
Old January 24th, 2009, 08:45 PM
thegirlwonder
Hookah Newbie

Thanks for all your replies...I think I'm going to go for the Taj and then maybe pick up another one later down the line. I'm looking forward to seeing the difference while using it inside.

Gracias! *mwah*
Old January 24th, 2009, 08:56 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlwonder View Post
Thanks for all your replies...I think I'm going to go for the Taj and then maybe pick up another one later down the line. I'm looking forward to seeing the difference while using it inside.

Gracias! *mwah*
ive used my windcover in the same manner as the taj (just rested it onto the bowl) and i found the space (at least with a standard wind cover) is not enough to do a lot, iirc though that taj has a much smaller hole in the top which would conserve the heat better, so it could work but i kind of expect it to be a little less efficient

-matt
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook