Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Cleaning Your Hookah

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 11th, 2007, 05:17 PM
kingmaddog
Hookah Nut

Send a message via ICQ to kingmaddog Send a message via AIM to kingmaddog Send a message via MSN to kingmaddog Send a message via Yahoo to kingmaddog
Default Cleaning Your Hookah

What's the best way to clean your hookah? I'm fairly new and would like some pointers on how to clean the hoses and stem.
Old September 11th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Default Re: Cleaning Your Hookah

I never used lemon juice because it's too costly compared to vinegar. I clean my hookah base and stem every other day (after 4 sessions I use flavors that tast close to avoid conflict) and I always use about 2 tablespoons of white vinegar and very warm water in the base. I fill it all the way up and use the brush to clean it out good, then I dump it out. I then run warm water in again halfway up and put my hand over the top and shake it vigorously, then fill it up the rest of the way and dump it. There is no smell whatsoever in the base after this cleaning. For the stem I run hot water down the stem for a minute, then I put about a tablespoon or 2 of vinegar on the stem brush and brush it good. I then rinse off the brush in hot water and wash the stem out with hot water and brush again. Then a final rinse with hot water and the stem is done. Always nice and shiny inside and no smell or flavor left behind.

I clean my Nammor hose once a week. I take the mouthpiece off and put a kitchen funnel in the hose end and put in a tablespoon of vinegar. I then fill the hose with warm water, put the mouthpiece back on, put a thumb on each end and give it a good shake for a minute. Put the end opposite of the mouthpiece in the sink and raise the mouthpiece end up so the water and vinegar mix pours out. Run a twisted up paper towel on the inside of the mouthpiece to get and water out, then blow the hose out. Do this until no water sprays out of the hose end. Then I roll up a piece of paper towel like a long spitball (minus the spit of course) and put it in the mouthpiece and blow it through. I do this 3 times. This gets any leftover moisture out of the hose. There will be no tast or smell left in the hose after this.

If you don't have a washable hose obviously don't was it by my instructions.

It sounds complicated but it really isn't.
Old September 11th, 2007, 05:31 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

There's nothing better than using the cleaning brushes it came with, with hot water....this is all I ever use....once in a blue moon if there's a strong mint flavor that we smoked and it won't go away, then I'll use some Dawn dishwashing soap with water...I've never had the need to try vinegar or lemon juice like a lot of other people have...the brush and hot water cleans my hookahs perfectly, leaving no lingering smell for the next session...
Old September 11th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Hot water, Baking powder and lemon juice are all you need besides the brushes. I only resort to to the lemon juice and baking soda about once a month when I do a deep clean. But after every smoke I just run hot water through the stem and vase.
Old September 11th, 2007, 08:13 PM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to daedra

i just cleaned my hookah.

think of it like cleaning the dishes really. take any part that smoke passes through and use hot water and a safe cleaning agent (lemon juice, baking powder, vinegar etc). after youre done smell each piece, if it still smells like that yucky hookah smell, youve got to do more cleaning.
Old September 11th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Pbpredator
Hookah Nut

I think it was Ghost of David that told me about beer... as a cleaning liquid plus its just an excuse to get your parents (if under 21) to buy you beer lol...
Old September 12th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

HookahMaster mentioned using Dawn soap, I would avoid this, as I would be afraid I wouldn't be able to get it all out, and would be tasting the soap while smoking. That is just my opinion though ... maybe that is just me.

I use a smidgen of lemon juice and hot water to clean my hookah. I am trying to avoid cleaning my hoses, cuz that is a pain in the ass. I try to stick to using the same hose for certain flavors. I have a red MYA that I use for berry flavors, a maroon one I use for coffee type flavors, a green one I use for mint type flavors, etc...

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old September 12th, 2007, 07:36 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Boiling hot water, lemon juice, once and in awhile salt. And beer does work - very well.
Old September 12th, 2007, 05:49 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambooka
HookahMaster mentioned using Dawn soap, I would avoid this, as I would be afraid I wouldn't be able to get it all out, and would be tasting the soap while smoking. That is just my opinion though ... maybe that is just me.
LOL...to be honest with you, you're right...this has happened before and we've tasted the slight Dawn flavor in a session...but it's easily preventable, all you have to do is run a strong stream of water for a couple of minutes and it'll definetly go away...and another thing I like to do is, take a puff out of the hose port and the top and bottom of the stem to see if there is any soap smell or taste...this makes sure that all the soap is gone...
Old September 13th, 2007, 03:20 PM
sznapsy
Hookah Nut

I have phases, I combine all the methods suggested until its at good state.

First: Baking soda bath, I soak everything with 1part baking soda 2 parts water...make the solution and let it sit for a bit before using.

Second: Vinegar bath, I soak everything with 1:2 just like in the first step.

Third: If it still smeels I use a 1:3 part mixture of Vodka...This is if I'm desperate.

Everything gets soaked for like 45mins-1 hr.

Hoses:Nammor gets soaked in water with some baking soda...other hoses, I just run water and let them dry really well.
Old September 14th, 2007, 12:08 AM
HookahETC
Banned

Send a message via AIM to HookahETC

Lemon/water/Hydrogen Peroxide.
Old September 14th, 2007, 12:51 PM
hobohookah
Vendor

I dishwash my HoboHookah, and it works great (especially if you do it regularly). It was designed for this purpose.

My MYA Diva, is supposedly stainless steel (but I believe someone said that they were actually nickle or chrome plated steel), so it should wash fine. But Im not too sure about the grommets, etc. Some dishwashers get up to over 140 degrees fahrenheit, and that will deform some rubber/plastics used as grommets. So I haven't tried it yet.

Also, most vases I wouldn't dishwash, unless its just a plain vase. The paint on vases will usually wash off in the dishwasher (sometimes even hand washing can flake the vase).
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook