Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

nicotine compared to cigerrettes?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 19th, 2009, 10:55 AM
denali7432
Banned

Default nicotine compared to cigerrettes?

i was wondering what is the amount of nicotine in shisa tobacco compared to cigs? is it worse or better..where do we stand?
Old January 19th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Bojangles
Hookah Nut

Default Re: nicotine compared to cigerrettes?

This is a pretty big grey area with wild accusations going on. Some sources claim that a session is a little less than a pack of cigarettes, other sources claim that a single session is like smoking as many as 400 cigarettes.

There are too many rumors and too much hear-say to sift through what is fact or fiction. The reality is that very little credible research has been done.
Old January 19th, 2009, 01:16 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

It depends on whether the tobacco is washed or unwashed.

I have friends that buzz off of cigarettes but not off of hookah.

Think what you want, there is not enough credible research as stated previously.
Old January 19th, 2009, 01:24 PM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle

a ciggarette typically contains between 16.9%-23.7% nicotine, and shisha typically contains < 0.5%.
Old January 19th, 2009, 01:41 PM
CPill
Hookah Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to CPill

so far, the closest study, in terms of accuracy was this one:
http://webfea-lb.fea.aub.edu.lb/aero...ilehpaper1.pdf

MOST studies aren't good because they apply the same amount of heat to the shisha as they would with cigarettes... which is not correct; heat from coals is much lower than that of burning cigarette tobaco
Old January 19th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Since moassel isn't (or at least it shouldn't be) burned a far lesser amount of what ever tars and nicotine contained in the product are released then is the case in cigarettes. However, nicotine is not much of a concern to me given that the research condemning it in cigarettes is so incredibly biased and shoddy. Also, how much nicotine (and everything else) contained in smoke is absorbed is greatly depanent upon how you smoke exactly. Cigar and pipe smokers often are tested for health insurance and termined to be non-smokers for the simple reason the they have no measurable amount of nicotine in their blood supply.
Old January 19th, 2009, 09:21 PM
myka
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadtizzle View Post
a ciggarette typically contains between 16.9%-23.7% nicotine, and shisha typically contains < 0.5%.
and with hookah your normally sharing it. don't believe the rumors. i can smoke a whole bowl of shisha and not get buzzed, then go out and take 2 puffs of a cigarette and be completely buzzed.
Old January 19th, 2009, 09:33 PM
QuakeHookah
Hookah Nut

lol its funny cuz ive smoked cigs i hate them but whenever i had, i feel like crap after have a black taste in my mouth and smell bad, after hookah i feel great and the next day im not coughing or slowed down. everyone who smokes cigs cant run and they always spit and cough lol i mean like cmon why r they even trying to say that its worse than cigs....
Old January 19th, 2009, 10:58 PM
CPill
Hookah Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to CPill

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakeHookah View Post
lol its funny cuz ive smoked cigs i hate them but whenever i had, i feel like crap after have a black taste in my mouth and smell bad, after hookah i feel great and the next day im not coughing or slowed down. everyone who smokes cigs cant run and they always spit and cough lol i mean like cmon why r they even trying to say that its worse than cigs....
cause those people saying that hookah is worse than cigarettes are ignorant about hookah.
Old January 19th, 2009, 11:11 PM
dragginskulls
Hookah Newbie

I dont really know that hookah is better for you than cigarettes. but I will say that the heat is not an issue. I know cig's burn the stuffins out of your throat/lungs and hookah doesnt. That could definately contribute to the coughing and weezing of smokers. Either way neither is "good" for you. but I do believe the hookah has less of an affect.. but, when it comes right down to it, none of us know the truth at this point so its all speculations and observations.
Old January 20th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

You basically are correct but keep in mind that cigarette research is often laughably bad so that in reality we don't know much about cigarettes other then that they entail a significant risk (how significant is highly debatable) but that such risks are far less then we are told.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 12:25 AM
QuakeHookah
Hookah Nut

i bet all the tests done with hookah always use unwashed tobacco, while burning it withextra coals over packed bowl and chain smokin it with not enough water wish machines and crappy quicklights that arnt lit properly.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 02:21 AM
Bojangles
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakeHookah View Post
i bet all the tests done with hookah always use unwashed tobacco, while burning it withextra coals over packed bowl and chain smokin it with not enough water wish machines and crappy quicklights that arnt lit properly.

And herpes in the base.

You know, for that extra flavor.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 10:35 PM
Pixelz
Hookah Pro

I don't care how much nicotine is in it, I haven't gotten "addicted" and I've been smoking Al-waha (.5% nicotine) the buzz is nice, but it isn't something your going to smoke and then need again 4 hours later.
seriously, statistics or no statistics, Cigarettes can suck *&^*&^*&
Old January 24th, 2009, 09:32 AM
BigE
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to BigE

Here something to think about.
1 cigarrette= 1 gram of tobacco
cigs are easy to carry around and by the end of the day many people smoke any where from 10-15.until Friday night or whenever they go to a bar,get feeling good and smoke a pack of 25 and not to mention the 2nd hand smoke that is in the room.

1 med bowl=10-15 grams of shisha
Hookah pipes are not that easy to carry around. At the end of the week,my wife and I might have smoked Hookah 3 times,one bowl an evening,even if we are drinking.

It seems to be, that if you want to quit smoking cigarrettes(hookah might be the way to ween yourself off, instead of taking cesation gum or drugs, Is this making any sense?
There are alot of other things in the air we breath that we can't see and not told about.so with that said I think all this research into tobacco shisha is mumbo jumbo bullshit. LOL.