Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

found some weird nakhla, help?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 19th, 2009, 03:38 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Default found some weird nakhla, help?

ok so i found some nakhla (see attached). i know its unflavored and its kinda old not sure how long it has been on the shelf but i think at least 6 months since i saw this when i went in the store a while back and it was the only on there.

i opened it up and it smells really really smokey, i guess an "Earth note" as fancy people would say too. does that mean i need to acclimate it, i mean it smells bad or is that how it is.

OOOOO, it smells like unflavored snuff (the dry up your nose kind not copenhagen).

its pretty dry, there is some liquid that has settled to the center but its pretty dry. any info would be helpful

but i also got nakhla mandarin and that seems promising
-matt
Attached Thumbnails
Photo 9.jpg  
Old January 19th, 2009, 03:43 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

Default Re: found some weird nakhla, help?

haha wow. that's Nakhla Qass. yes it's unflavored but if you're into that stuff it's great! wonder how that made its way into the US.

Old January 19th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Qass is pretty good stuff if you set it up right (no, don't smoke it like you would regular stuff) but, yeah it's weird that it made it to the states. Where did you get it?
Old January 19th, 2009, 04:00 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

theres a little middle eastern place down the street that sells food and has some AF and nakhla and some 3 kings coals. they just had it on the shelf, only box of it and its been there for months just thought id grab it for s's and g's for 7 bucks its only so much of a loss.

how should i set it up?

and is that smell normal for it?
-matt
Old January 19th, 2009, 04:08 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

ooh. do want.
Old January 19th, 2009, 04:10 PM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

is am not mistaken it is spelled Kass. (as found on the official nakhla website, but then its just a translation)
I 'd love to try that stuff but couldnt find it anywhere
Old January 19th, 2009, 04:12 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

once i get to try it i will probably be open to trades on it, just want to make sure its what its supposed to be before i trade any only to find out it had gone bad or what not

-matt
Old January 19th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Cnphoto
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
ok so i found some nakhla (see attached). i know its unflavored and its kinda old not sure how long it has been on the shelf but i think at least 6 months since i saw this when i went in the store a while back and it was the only on there.

i opened it up and it smells really really smokey, i guess an "Earth note" as fancy people would say too. does that mean i need to acclimate it, i mean it smells bad or is that how it is.

OOOOO, it smells like unflavored snuff (the dry up your nose kind not copenhagen).

its pretty dry, there is some liquid that has settled to the center but its pretty dry. any info would be helpful

but i also got nakhla mandarin and that seems promising
-matt
i found som too!, i was thinkin of getting it but i realized it was un flavored and old
Old January 19th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
theres a little middle eastern place down the street that sells food and has some AF and nakhla and some 3 kings coals. they just had it on the shelf, only box of it and its been there for months just thought id grab it for s's and g's for 7 bucks its only so much of a loss.

how should i set it up?

and is that smell normal for it?
-matt
How to smoke this sort of thing can be found here: http://www.hookah-life.com/events_6.htm
Old January 19th, 2009, 05:06 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
How to smoke this sort of thing can be found here: http://www.hookah-life.com/events_6.htm
o ok, cool, i had seen that before thanks for the link again

will i need to worry about it leaving any strong flavor left in my rig more so than the more modern/wet shishas do? also does it really taste (smoke wise) like it smells when not being smoked or does the flavor change?
-matt
Old January 19th, 2009, 05:25 PM
lucas
Hookah Nut

i want to try this stuff but the shop i usually but from in the uk is out of stock and it does not come in 50g packets
Old January 19th, 2009, 07:20 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

its called Kass Super. I have a bunch myself. here's a review.- http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showt...hp?t=60&page=5
Old January 19th, 2009, 09:46 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu ronin View Post
its called Kass Super. I have a bunch myself. here's a review.- http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showt...hp?t=60&page=5
compared to the smell of the tobacco is the taste much different or similar?

i might try that idea of mixing it with earl grey or just mixing it in general if i dont like the taste to much, we will see the smell just kept me away to night but hopefully it will smoke better

-matt
Old January 20th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Kass has a pretty complicated taste and I find it very pleasant by itself. If you mix it I recommend 1 part Earl Gray to 2 parts Kass or 50/50 H-H or AW honey and Kass.
Old January 20th, 2009, 01:07 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

ok thank you hajo,

does the smell description i gave sound like it should or should i acclimate it or should it not need it?
-matt
Old January 20th, 2009, 06:30 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

ok so i just packed up a bowl of this and tossed some coals on it. i dont have any glycerin or any black strap so i am smoking it as is and seeing how it goes, probably wont last as long but i will at least get some flavor out of it. ill get some glycerine and black strap when i go grocery shopping friday

ill check back to give a quick "Review"
-matt
Old January 20th, 2009, 06:42 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

ok i got it going so so, barely any smoke, im still leaving the 3rd coal on for now but i need to get it replenished with the juices but flavor wise its very interesting. not something i will smoke every day but i like it. it tastes a little like it smells but no smokiness.

i do want to try more black style tobaccos and i might go down and talk to the lady at the store and see if she can get more of it. if people are interested in getting some let me know and if she can order it in ill pick up boxes for people or split it. if she cant i might be willing to send out samples for a good trade maybe

hmm i also forgot to move the coals a lot but not notice it burning at all, then again i dont know what its supposed to taste like so maybe it is burning and i dont realize it but i kinda doubt it

-matt

Last edited by mattathayde; January 20th, 2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old February 5th, 2009, 02:43 AM
ShishaBubbly
Banned

I almost fainted!We in Israel get mainly Nakhla or Al-Waha everywhere in local stores. I'm wild for Nakhla. I smoke Zaghloul non-flavoured Nakhla often and having gone to Nakhla's website to drool and pant, since the Kass and the other 4 types of non-flavoured don't make it here either.Everywhere you can buy cigarettes they sell Nakhla, and cheap.I know it would sell here big since 60% of our citizens are first,second or third generations from Morocco,Tunisia,Algeria,Egypt,Libya,Iran,Iraq ,Syria,Ethiopia,Khazakstahm.Afganistahn,Kurdistahn ,Bulgaria,Yemen, etc.Which is probably where Nakhla ships theirs. Zaghloul is dry and has a pungent smell which might seem like its gone bad, but the taste is superb.You need to smoke it once or twice to try and then ....
Old February 5th, 2009, 09:37 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

will i had gotten glycerine and some black strap molasses in and mixed it up and it smoked better. still didnt have to move the coal around much and did not really get a buzz from it (but to put it in perspective i smoke tangiers for over 2 hours the other night and only got a buzz for 5 mins at the start when i was getting it going). it was alright, interesting, i do want to try more of the unflavored tobaccos after trying this.

it still is not something i would want to smoke a lot but its nice to have once in a while

-matt
Old February 5th, 2009, 09:59 AM
h0lic
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to h0lic Send a message via Yahoo to h0lic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishaholiC View Post
is am not mistaken it is spelled Kass. (as found on the official nakhla website, but then its just a translation)
I 'd love to try that stuff but couldnt find it anywhere

Qass looks cooler. I'm going with that!
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:14 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0lic View Post
Qass looks cooler. I'm going with that!
lol by nakhlas site its kass super
-matt
Old February 5th, 2009, 12:51 PM
h0lic
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to h0lic Send a message via Yahoo to h0lic

well they put super in there so you know it must be good!

seriously though, i hear this stuff is a real treat. hope you enjoy it.
Old February 5th, 2009, 01:07 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

it is good but unusual and i think it probably would be better if it was fresher

-matt
Old February 5th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
will i had gotten glycerine and some black strap molasses in and mixed it up and it smoked better. still didnt have to move the coal around much and did not really get a buzz from it (but to put it in perspective i smoke tangiers for over 2 hours the other night and only got a buzz for 5 mins at the start when i was getting it going). it was alright, interesting, i do want to try more of the unflavored tobaccos after trying this.

it still is not something i would want to smoke a lot but its nice to have once in a while

-matt
Black moassels are best when gently smoked like an Onyx cigar or a Western pipe. I've found it's best to linger and and wait at least 30 seconds between draws. If you smoke this sort of thing like you would Fantasia or something similar you'll miss out on all the flavours.

If you want try naturally flavoured moassels get Hookah-Hookah's cavendish (no, it doesn't taste like cavendish but it's very good anyway) or Salloum Plain. Cleopatra also makes a plain that is easy to get but I haven't tried it yet. The best naturally flavoured product you can buy in the states is Desi Merli but be warned it is strong. You will likely want to start out by mixing it 50/50 with H-H's cavendish or Honey made by H-H or AW. Once you've gotten the hang of it try smokin it straight. I've an article floting around here on how to smoke DM. Check it out.
Old February 5th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShishaBubbly View Post
I almost fainted!We in Israel get mainly Nakhla or Al-Waha everywhere in local stores. I'm wild for Nakhla. I smoke Zaghloul non-flavoured Nakhla often and having gone to Nakhla's website to drool and pant, since the Kass and the other 4 types of non-flavoured don't make it here either.Everywhere you can buy cigarettes they sell Nakhla, and cheap.I know it would sell here big since 60% of our citizens are first,second or third generations from Morocco,Tunisia,Algeria,Egypt,Libya,Iran,Iraq ,Syria,Ethiopia,Khazakstahm.Afganistahn,Kurdistahn ,Bulgaria,Yemen, etc.Which is probably where Nakhla ships theirs. Zaghloul is dry and has a pungent smell which might seem like its gone bad, but the taste is superb.You need to smoke it once or twice to try and then ....
What i've found is that most narghile fans (save the kids in big cities) no matter the country (outside of the West) smoke tombac or black moassels exclusively. Personally, I've found the more traditional stuff more full flavoured and intersting.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook