Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Tangiers Dogging

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 13th, 2007, 04:38 PM
sznapsy
Hookah Nut

Default Tangiers Dogging

I noticed almost everyone on here dog's on tangiers...Does everyone really not like it that much? What so wrong with it? I love it and smoke it daily, it has a ton of flavor and gives me the strongest buzz of all the brands...I have noticed that 24 acclimation makes for the most amount of flavor, but 4 hours fully exposed and 20 hours half covered...
Old September 13th, 2007, 04:44 PM
merkaba
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Tangiers Dogging

well I got two tubs off it from kk. My initial reactions to it was:

A)the tobacco was pungent, very lively

B)the smell ok

after lighting up a bowl, I realized that A) wasn't a great attribute for smoking shisha. B) was the flavoring is actually half decent. I only tried raspberry. Its pretty harsh.

how do you set up so that you're not 100% turned off?
Old September 13th, 2007, 04:45 PM
ASUSEAN
Hookah Nut

i only smoke tangiers and layalina.. i think the only people that write about it on HP and HF are the ones that have problems with it although in reality most people never have trouble with it.. it just seems like everyone does though because that is all you see.. get what i mean?
Old September 13th, 2007, 04:48 PM
sznapsy
Hookah Nut

I use quaters of coals, not halfs, or even smaller then quaters of coals. I pack it pretty high and thick, and push it down with phunnel, sometimes the foil is bulging. I make large holes. The secret is the size of the coals and the amount, i use small sized pieces and usually like 2-3 1/6th's of a biscuit. I love the taste, and buzz.
Old September 13th, 2007, 05:01 PM
nofrendo
Hookah Nut

To me, it was quite harsh. Honestly, it produced the thickest clouds I have gotten from any shisha, ever. The buzz was unpleasant after about 6-10 hits.
Old September 13th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

I guess some folks will speak their minds fully and won't sugar coat their opinion. I am one of those people. It isn't about dogging a product it's about giving your honest opinion of it. My honest opinion is it smells horrible, it tastes horrible, and regardless of the buzz it is unpleasant. Here's an open invitation... anyone who has smoking Tangiers "down" and you are ever near Western Maryland or in the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia and you want to come see some beautiful mountains for an afternoon come share a session with me. If you can make Tangiers taste like anything but Bar b Que grease and blackstrap molasses, I'll shake your hand and admit I'm wrong. There are alot of new folks that want to try whatever folks say is good, and could be mislead by people singing praises for a "difficult to master" shisha. I see plenty of positive comments and opinions about Tangiers and that's fine, but realize others may not like it and it's fine for them to say so too.
Old September 13th, 2007, 06:22 PM
boomhauer
Banned

Send a message via AIM to boomhauer Send a message via Yahoo to boomhauer

honestly i tried tangiers orange soda with PP and it was rather good. it was harsh at the beginning but not a I'm choking harsh, more a i cant inhale it much harsh. removed one coal and it was smooth. the orange flavor was alright but its not on the top of my list. overall it was a good session and the buzz wasn't bad honestly.

really try it and see what you like. not all the flavors are good but some are. a lot of peoples problem is that they dont pack it right but when its done correctly you get good smoke with good flavor. its not like you have to do all these tricks, just pack more than you normally do and its fine. acclimation is good if your climate is different from san diego.
Old September 13th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

I for one am a straight shooter. If I like it I will say so, if not I will also say so. I think all of these new smokers come to forums and read the praises of Tangiers and run out and buy it and make a huge mistake. Face it, a new smoker generally cant handle Tangiers as it is. Its all about information.
Old September 13th, 2007, 07:57 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

I fuckin love the stuff. Tangiers is on it's own level, you can't really compare it to any other brand. i gave it a little more than a day of acclimation. It was perfect.
Old September 13th, 2007, 08:34 PM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

I dislike it because of the huge buzz factor. I personally hate getting a buzz and it's actually a very painful thing for me.

As for the hoopla to get it to smoke, that's another reason. I want a shisha I don't have to run through hoops in order to get it to smoke. I want to plop it in throw a coal on and sit back and relax. Tangiers is way to finiky for my liking.

I also didn't like the smell of BBQ. I had it acclimating for 48-72 hours stirring and what not like it said. I followed the directions that were on the insert and it never lost the bbq smell. I'm sorry but if it smells nasty in the bowl, i'm not going to want to smoke it.

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"
Old September 13th, 2007, 09:01 PM
PerznPerversion
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to PerznPerversion

it was pretty good. lol i thought it was spicey orange soda :-P

but it was a bit harsh but id smoke it again for sure

GOOD BUZZ!
Old September 13th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

First off sznapsy, this post is not directed at you ... this is directed at everybody, and also note that this is only my opinion ...

I find this topic to be both annoying and insulting ... and it is about time I voice my opinion, because I am not one to keep it to myself, and nobody else here should have to keep it to themselves because you disagree with it. There are always going to be mixed reviews on products. What one member likes another member will not ...

Now about the intentions of this thread ... This is pretty much saying, that the only members that complain about Tangiers not smoking right, are the members that don't know what they are doing. I completely disagree with that statement, because a lot of us members that are saying we don't like it, do have plenty of experience smoking shisha. You can throw around the whole, "Oh your not doing this right, or you gotta do that", but come on, we all know the drill, we've heard the "instructions" a million times, and have incorporated "ALL of them" and done our best to accommodate this fussy shisha. Yet we continue to have problems with it ...

Members here have a friggen right to say what they like and don't like! ESPECIALLY here!
... And you can take that opinion or leave it alone ... and that comes from BOTH sides, meaning the positive and the negative about a particular product. And make your own conclusion using that information.

Personally, I gave it a good couple of tries and failed with it each time, got to be a little tolerable towards the end, but I can easily go into my shisha drawer and pull out any number of shisha in it and get it to smoke and taste amazing, and very enjoyable as well. I bet I could have you saying, Mmmmm this is amazing! I'll stick to those brands/flavors, thank you very much! They don't require 1/10th the effort (and as you say, Skill) it takes to smoke Tangiers.

I have 4 samples of Tangiers that someone sent me because they didn't want to bother trying to get it to smoke any longer. This member gave up, and was a very experienced smoker! I am actually planning on giving it another chance, and trying it out, to try and get something out of it besides the BBQ smell/taste. I am going to try the Kashmir Peach, since that seems to be in the top 3. If I can't get that to smoke, I am done trying! And I will write my review either way. And I will maintain my formulated opinion due to real experience with it.

Speaking of reviews and voicing of opinions ... I for one, will most certainly voice my opinion on a product I feel very strongly about, so that I can share my positives about a product as well as my negatives. I most certainly am not here to bitch about a product I don't like, I got better things to do, I will on occasion though, especially when I really dislike something. I feel very strongly that members here should know "real world" reviews from "real people"!!!

I would like to use Dunkel's challenge ... "anyone who has smoking Tangiers "down" and you are ever near Jacksonville, FL and you want to come meet me and hang out for an afternoon/evening come share a session with me. If you can make Tangiers taste like anything but Bar b Que grease and blackstrap molasses, I'll shake your hand and admit I'm wrong." .Period

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old September 13th, 2007, 10:09 PM
sznapsy
Hookah Nut

In no way to i think that people can't get tangiers to smoke don't have skill or anything of that sort because it has nothing to do with that. Tangiers is just extremely hard to get used to in the first place to where it isn't a throat tickler. I didn't mean my post like that, I just wanted to see why people ALWAYS dog on tangiers like in every post its mentioned thats all.

Tangiers doesn't have a technique, since i have tried other's technique's and they don't work. I just messed with it until i got it right...I do admit its a pain in the ass, but one that's worth it for me. Next time i'm visiting friends in Jacksonville (they go to UF) I will defiently have to stop buy and let you see my view point.

The other thing that people don't take into perspective that different hummidities require less heat, and different weather conditions will require different techniques and adjusting of the heat. Heat management on tangiers isn't really a skill thing its a luck thing, and you perfect it to get luckier just by experience with the product.

I don't consider tangiers to be anytihng like any other shisha, you need tangiers experience to know how to smoke it, not shisha experience. Don't take what I am saying wrong, but you could be extremely experienced with shisha or completely un-experienced, and not be able to smoke tangiers. Everything you know about hookah almost needs to be left at the door when you start with tangiers, your experience means absolutely nothing.

Also, I don't care what people think of me as far as my "skill" level, I can make a good bowl and that's it. Why does it matter? Basically most of the active people on the forums are of the best, because there really isn't anything more you can know then what the people on here know. It's not like there is endless amounts of information on hookah it gets to a point where you reach the top and that's it.
Old September 13th, 2007, 10:39 PM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to daedra

if i come across tangiers, ill give it the ol' one two.
Old September 13th, 2007, 10:41 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Damn Guys!
It's just damn Tobacco!
Some people don't have the patience or luck or tolerance, some people do.
That's all there is to it.
Old September 13th, 2007, 10:42 PM
nofrendo
Hookah Nut

It's just tough. I noticed it does take a lot more effort. It's a smoker's smoke
Old September 14th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofrendo
It's just tough. I noticed it does take a lot more effort. It's a smoker's smoke
WTF is that supposed to mean?
Old September 14th, 2007, 07:16 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

I've smoked Tangiers, I like it, but it's alittle strong for my tastes. Some flavors are definatly better than others (Eric is working on them). It takes pratice to get it right, some people get it right first time, some never do - it's not an easy shisha, but at times is well worth it.

The only major issue I have with Tangiers if the "added" items one should (not have to) buy in order to fully enjoy the tobacco. Thankfully most of the items can be used with other brands as well, it's just slightly annoying.

Now I'll say this once, like several other members here, I don't like the discord circling around Tangiers and who can/can not smoke it and why. It's just tobacco - it's not a life altering moment, the world won't end. If you dislike it, fine - peachy, post a review and you have stated your opnion. You love it, great - review and maybe offer suggestions to those who want to try.

I suggest that if you want to try Tangiers, go for it. When it works right, it's a good smoke. It's strong, flavorful (maybe not what you like, but it's there), and a good smoke.... just not for everbody. And be aware it may taking some tweaking (to heck and back) in order to fully enjoy it. Good luck!

You'll never know what you like unless you take a chance and try it.
Old September 14th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

I guess I was one of the so called haters or tangiers doggers. let me explain my position first before you criticize me. Smoking Shisha for me is supposed to be pleasant to the senses, with Tangiers its not. I have made a few references to the crappy taste, smell, and procedure to smoke it. I have also started a thread pondering what makes it so good, hoping someone could shed some light. But I am just expressing MY opinion and here it is again. New smokers are roped into the Mya and Tangiers facade. For instance, as a test I went to forum X and did a search on keyword Tangiers, in titles only, in the general hookah topics forum. The search shut off at 1000 topics! And 80% of those topics were about how aweful the session is or asking how to get it right, the other 20% were a select few people who sing its praises. Why is it wrong for me to post my personal opinion on shisha that detracts from my smoking experience? I bought into it, I tried it 2X and have the same results 2X.
Here are the instructions I have heard on how to make it work.
1. Acclimate for at least 3 hours but up to 24 hours
2. Dont fluff tobacco keep it mashed together
3. load bowl nice and tight all the way to the top
4. Use correct hole pattern
5. Heat management is a must, if you mess it up, you cant recover, pack a new bowl.
6. Its not for new smokers
7. Throat tickle will happen
Here is my problem, it stinks, it doesnt taste flavorful, its picky on the heat, its not for new smokers.
Now my tobacco
1. Buy tub, fluff tobacco and drop in the bowl.
2. jam holes in foil
3. if you mess up the heat either add a coal or take one off and let it come back to you
4. Sit back and enjoy a flavorful smoke
I see too many people running around singing the praises of Tangiers and Mya and then new smokers waste their money and fail to begin with because of subpar equipment in my opinion and tobacco that is not easy to make work. So go ahead and bash me if you will, these are my opinions and I am entitled to them. I do not make threads to bash a mfg or vendor, I do voice my personal opinion when the situation arises.
Old September 14th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Oh yeah, btw. Theres a lot of Rolland and Soex bashing going on here too, but I dont see anyone crying about that. Makes me wonder what the reason behind this thread is to begin with.
Old September 14th, 2007, 08:16 AM
sznapsy
Hookah Nut

Reasoning behind this thread? Trying to find out why so many people dis-like it. Nothing more... To me, the fact that the bowl has a lower chance of being perfect makes the perfect bowls better. I enjoy it, and have a high success rate. Meet up with me, and I'll show you a good tangiers bowl after about 3 months of perfection and re-learning the technique for each new batch(batch have unique technics)

The fact that you go straight to defensive manners saying that its a skill thing and that just because you don't like tangiers means you don't have skill since you can't smoke it. I accept the fact that it's just not for some people, but I have never ever experienced this bbq taste ever, so it's just really ackward to me, how so many people experience that.
Old September 14th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

It took you 3 months to learn to smoke it?!?!?! In that amount of time I have had so many good smokes that were effortless. I guess if you enjoy the challenge of trying to get something to work and think the rewards are greater now that you have conquered it, then I am happy for you. My opinion of shisha smoking still stands, I smoke for the pleasant relaxing enjoyment of a good smoke that stimulates my senses. Not to overcome something that should work liek its supposed to.
Old September 14th, 2007, 08:29 AM
sznapsy
Hookah Nut

its not like that, it's more like it took me 3 months to perfect the technic to a more sucess rate. Also, the ability to conquer a new batch quickly without any over heated bowls that don't forgive me. Everybowl i do now is almost perfect, a few hits of harsh and that's it. over the 3 months I just learned the way it worked for me in every extent.

Old September 14th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

I understand where you are coming from, truly I do. But do you see where I am coming from?
Old September 14th, 2007, 08:42 AM
sznapsy
Hookah Nut

ya i do, it is tough, but i seek a buzz, and it is the strongest buzz i have had. It's a personal thing, if you seek a think you can get it, and it is the perfect smoke for me...Never ment it like that, just saying it's stupid to say you don't have skill if you can't smoke it...has nothing to do with that.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook