Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Is there a trick . . .

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 29th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Fezzik Send a message via Yahoo to Fezzik
Default Is there a trick . . .

to smoking hookah hookah? I see everyone rave on it but we have run into a bunch of flavors that burn really easily and have great flavor for 10 to 15 minutes and then the rest of the time the flavor and the tobacco are competing with each other. When it is good it is really really good so I am thinking maybe we are doing something wrong. We double layer the foil and move the coal around periodically. There was one we only smoked for about 30 minutes or so and when we removed the foil it was burned all to hell so I know we burned that one. So what is the trick to heat managing hookah hookah. We are currently only using one coal at a time and double layering the foil. That is all I know about so please help. I want to give them a fair shake.
Old January 29th, 2009, 03:12 PM
jayrunner89
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jayrunner89
Default Re: Is there a trick . . .

well u have to know that u are not going to get big clouds and have flavor for more then 10 mins, pack it a little tighter and poke alot of little holes and little heat i have even gone with 1 coal and my makeshift windcover
Old January 29th, 2009, 03:20 PM
S4L
Hookah Nut

try poking the holes with a pin or something really thin rather then a coctail stick, this normally helps me a lot.
Old January 29th, 2009, 03:21 PM
phatpride1
Hookah Pro

idk i get decent clouds and i been using 3 coals every time i smoke HH now
Old January 29th, 2009, 03:38 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

in my experience windcover is key.....

also some of their flavors are more subtle...and quicklights ruin them.
Old January 29th, 2009, 03:43 PM
hookahplayer21
Hookah Nut

I have to agree with everyone else, a windcover really helps. It took alot of trial and error but I think I finally got it right. I use two natural coals (exotica about 3/4" each) and the windcover, and its smokes perfectly. Not too sure with Ql's though.
Old January 29th, 2009, 03:46 PM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrunner89 View Post
well u have to know that u are not going to get big clouds and have flavor for more then 10 mins
This is incorrect. I get big clouds and big flavor from my starbuzz for over an hour regularly. Phunnel Bowl and 6 CH Nats, 3 at a time.
Old January 29th, 2009, 04:01 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Quote:
well u have to know that u are not going to get big clouds and have flavor for more then 10 mins, pack it a little tighter and poke alot of little holes and little heat i have even gone with 1 coal and my makeshift windcover

yeah i disagree as well....

i get good solid flavor out of hh for 45-60 minutes and i m not taking it easy on the heat...i pretty much keep my shisha just a few degrees under burning...thats why i love windcovers...i can heat it up with the windcover if i feel it getting hot i take it off....when it has cooled down i plop it back on....i do a LOT of windcover management when i smoke.
Old January 29th, 2009, 04:07 PM
xHARRYxCOLONx
Hookah Nut

Quote:
i think what jay is saying is dont go for huge clouds with hh and u WILL have flavor for more that 10 minutes right jay? or atleast thats how i took it haha.
Old January 29th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

I was thinking a funnel or a vortex would help but I believe I can get it with my standard. I have been using a single 40mm coal on what I figure to be about 85 mm diameter bowl. the holes may be a bit big so I brought home one of those dissecting pins they are a little thinner than a thumb tack. So maybe that will help. Or I may use a sewing needle now that I found them. but this one can be attached to the same ring that metal stirring stick that came with the tongs is on.

My theories based on this is holes too large, cut coals in half and use on opposite sides of the bowl, pack a little tighter maybe if all else is failing, stop smoking when it starts to suck. We went through about half of one movie and all of another on margarita not sure what we did differently but it worked out great. Still a little more tobacco flavor than I like (Nakhla not so much I like the tobacco flavor of Nakhla but this is not my kind of tobacco).
Old January 29th, 2009, 04:29 PM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KillerB Send a message via MSN to KillerB

i use two CH or coconara on top of my egyptian bowl (with a windcover as needed), but it is VERY important, IMO, that you use a needle instead of a toothpick. you want a TON of itty bitty holes. I got big clouds, and pretty big flavor for the full duration of my smoke with HH cinammon.

see: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/video...ls&videoid=222
Old January 29th, 2009, 04:35 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

maybe thats why i have trouble burning with my vortex. i use a thumbtack and 3 rings of holes and used 2/4 of exotica with windcover and not much smoke, switched coals to CH ql's and after about 10 mins started to burn.
Old January 29th, 2009, 05:05 PM
jayrunner89
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jayrunner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHARRYxCOLONx View Post
i think what jay is saying is dont go for huge clouds with hh and u WILL have flavor for more that 10 minutes right jay? or atleast thats how i took it haha.
yes harry u are correct decent clouds and huge are tow different things
Old January 29th, 2009, 05:43 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

I use a vortex and pack it just under the phunel bit, use 2 layers of single foil, loads of tiny holes and have 2 CC coals on with a windcover when needed.

Make sure you let the bowl heat properly before you start smoking, i sometimes leave the coals on for 5-10 minutes and move it around before i take a pull.

Practice makes perfect, see what works for you
Old January 29th, 2009, 06:16 PM
CPill
Hookah Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to CPill

all this is actually very informative for me as well. i got 2 samples in and there's only about enough for one bowl and i wanna give it a REALLY fair shot for the review vid.
Old January 29th, 2009, 06:25 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

i use less tobacco, try to get a lot of volume out of it THEN make sure the foil (with the weight of the coals) does not hit the tobacco.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old January 29th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

check out PCServe's vid on how to pack and smoke Hookah Hookah it helped me out alittle, i still havnt mastered it yet..

http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/video...ils&videoid=59
Old January 29th, 2009, 06:40 PM
wonderland
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to wonderland

Well... if you are using a 40mm... break it in half use both pieces but it is as u have 2 pieces of charcoal.... make sure ur foil is tight and poke the holes accordingly... 9 times out of 10 when my customers dont get good flavor mixed with good clouds its a heat problem. I now use screens for that reason. Your egyptian bowl is good... trust me.. vortex or phunnel didnt show up for a long ass time... so the reg bowl had to be doing something right. And make sure u leave space between the foil and the tobacco... no tricks involved! its just one of those things u have to play around with til u get right.
Old January 29th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

the foundation of hookah hookah is pretty crummy. even following peoples advice ive never gotten anything decent / tasty from it. im with you on this fezzik.

shrug...maybe its not for everyone
Old January 29th, 2009, 06:48 PM
dragginskulls
Hookah Newbie

I use very little shisha and sprinkle it into the bowl. then one layer of heavy duty foil shiny down. from there I do a spiral pattern. Big holes in the middle and then smaller and smaller towards the outside edges. I have never experienced a tobacco taste from HH. Ive had some funky flavors but never tobacco-y flavors. I typically get about 45 minutes of good smoking and around an hour tops with less smoke/flavor right at the end of course. Also I use ql's most of the time and havent ever ruined the flavor so Im not sure what thats about either..
Old January 29th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

I think partially some people don't know what the tobacco taste is or they don't notice it or maybe it is just part of it. TO me since I notice it in about everything even when everything is going perfect and there is a ton of flavor, maybe it is just the kind they use. Don't know but I will try some of these suggestions and see what comes out of the next bowl or two I smoke.
Old January 29th, 2009, 07:21 PM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KillerB Send a message via MSN to KillerB

this thread made me make a HOW TO video of just how to pack this using my method. It is uploading on YouTube as we speak. I will link-ify you when it is ready.

EDIT!..... its ready. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4--BVhqnziw

Last edited by KillerB; January 29th, 2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old January 30th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerB View Post
this thread made me make a HOW TO video of just how to pack this using my method. It is uploading on YouTube as we speak. I will link-ify you when it is ready.

EDIT!..... its ready. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4--BVhqnziw
Awww a video just for me. LOL. I enjoyed it. Perhaps our problem based on this is our holes are too large and too much heat in one place. Thanks. I am sure we will try this this weekend and hopefully start cranking out some videos cause we gots plenty to review. I am thinking we may do our reviews Rogers and Ebert style.
Old January 30th, 2009, 11:20 AM
jreese86
Hookah Nut

I went to the local hookah bar last night and smoked some HH Butterscotch. They used 1 and a half quicklight tabs of some sort (3 Kings?). It smoked decent considering it was a chinese hookah. Didn't dissipate any flavor over the 45min I was there.
Old January 30th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreese86 View Post
I went to the local hookah bar last night and smoked some HH Butterscotch. They used 1 and a half quicklight tabs of some sort (3 Kings?). It smoked decent considering it was a chinese hookah. Didn't dissipate any flavor over the 45min I was there.
33mm or 40mm 3k coals. with the 33mm coals we tend to use two but I am thinking cutting a 40mm in two would be better cause the two 33mm get too big.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook