Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Annoying Marketing

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 31st, 2009, 02:51 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default Annoying Marketing

I don't know if these peeves of mine annoy Anyone else here but I figure this is the place to sound off about this sort of thing.

1) Calling Moassel Molasses. This strikes me as dishonest when a vendor lists various moassels as molasses while failing to mention that what you are smoking is a tobacco based mixture that may or may not have molasses in it. Some sleazy sellers on ebay even sell Nakhla claiming it's tobacco free molasses.

2) Premium. I've gotten sick and tired of the endless number of companies marketing their tobacco as "premium" when as far as I can tell premium simply means it comes in a metal tin and costs $15+.

3) Exotic. Exotic is another term that has really been over and misused. Hundreds of brands use heavily washed Virginian leaf and fruity/mint/drink flavouring and since anything that is common is not exotic they should call it something else.

4) Herbal. It's simply false to claim that crushed sugar cane is somehow herbal and all the pig latin the world isn't going to change that reality. The companies that make sugar cane based smoking mixtures need to make some effort to tell consumers what they are smoking rather then lie to them.

5) Hot chicks marketing. It always struck me as puerile and dopey when vendors or lounge owners show some scantily clad babe lounging around smoking. Sometimes adds for the moassel or narghile are so focused on the cutie that it's tough to tell what exactly they are selling. I don't give a damn how hot the girl is because when I am looking to buy something I want to know what makes it worth my money.

Anyone else have any marketing pet peeves?
Old January 31st, 2009, 03:00 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger
Default Re: Annoying Marketing

I love you Hajo.

Exactly my same issues.

Also, juices.

I'm sorry, just cause your product is floating in juice, doesnt mean its gonna be a good flavor and a good smoke.

The issue is tobacco quality, and yes, it can be TOO WET!!

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old January 31st, 2009, 03:02 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Tins!!

Even though you can reuse them, and recycle them, they add too much tot he over-all price, and the shipping!
Old January 31st, 2009, 03:02 PM
S4L
Hookah Nut

haha lol im not really fussed about all of that.
Old January 31st, 2009, 03:12 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

I agree with Hajo. All those things are annoying and unnecessary.
Old January 31st, 2009, 03:16 PM
blckngld760
Hookah Pro

Starbuzz is some pretty good premium stuff. IMO
Old January 31st, 2009, 03:23 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
I don't know if these peeves of mine annoy Anyone else here but I figure this is the place to sound off about this sort of thing.

5) Hot chicks marketing. It always struck me as puerile and dopey when vendors or lounge owners show some scantily clad babe lounging around smoking. Sometimes adds for the moassel or narghile are so focused on the cutie that it's tough to tell what exactly they are selling. I don't give a damn how hot the girl is because when I am looking to buy something I want to know what makes it worth my money.

Anyone else have any marketing pet peeves?
I DEFINITELY can agree with you on this one.

don't some vendors realize that there are GIRL smokers who are STRAIGHT?

Pssh, how would the male smokers feel if girls changed it around by instead of having a "hot" chick on the ad, changing it to a shirtless, greasy "hot" male model on the front? Hah >_< NOW does everyone understand what I'm saying?

I'm not exactly a feminist, but it annoys the effing hell out of me when females are just marketing products. I know "sex sells" but it gets very old after a while
Old January 31st, 2009, 03:30 PM
pharm
Hookah Nut

sex sells to those who those with the issue of communicating with girls, in imo i dont like when companies do use girls to sell their product
Old January 31st, 2009, 03:33 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyIsJustKidding View Post

Pssh, how would the male smokers feel if girls changed it around by instead of having a "hot" chick on the ad, changing it to a shirtless, greasy "hot" male model on the front? Hah >_< NOW does everyone understand what I'm saying?

I'm not exactly a feminist, but it annoys the effing hell out of me when females are just marketing products. I know "sex sells" but it gets very old after a while
Wait.. what? Girls don't have sleepovers and make out and have naked pillow fights? What
Old January 31st, 2009, 03:57 PM
1lowtoy
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to 1lowtoy Send a message via Yahoo to 1lowtoy

Very good points but I do like many of the products that say or have the attributes you speak of im not going to stop using them but it would be nice if they would stop putting SB and some others in metal tins very pointless personally i think everything should be packaged in somthing biodegradable so it wont be in the dump for the next 10 million years or whatever. And the girls, well who the hell cares! i think its a stupid tactic and should go to the wayside if it smokes good then cool but the not so good looking wanabee hotty on the ads really have nothing to do with the product and should be banished. But none of this has really ever bothered me im gonna smoke what ever is palatable to me and none of this realy has to do with your experiance in the end. Just my 2 cents
Old January 31st, 2009, 04:04 PM
Bojangles
Hookah Nut

Markets who use the words "top, best, favorite" or other superlatives of the nature. These views are subjective and often biased.

When everyone is the best, no one is.
Old January 31st, 2009, 04:08 PM
wonderland
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to wonderland

none of it really bothers me. I have a variety of products..from boxes to tins etc... I use my own marketing materials...
Old January 31st, 2009, 04:13 PM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

hmmmm ... those are the common marketing procedures that we see everywhere ... Cars, insurance, shampoos, soaps, ...etc.
Old January 31st, 2009, 04:28 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Quote:

you're still buying it with your man's money....

JUST KIDDING

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old January 31st, 2009, 04:33 PM
jayrunner89
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jayrunner89

i got no problem with the hot chicks, they can using them i wont buy but they can keep using them
Old January 31st, 2009, 04:50 PM
Xazon
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolinger View Post
I love you Hajo.

Exactly my same issues.

Also, juices.

I'm sorry, just cause your product is floating in juice, doesnt mean its gonna be a good flavor and a good smoke.

The issue is tobacco quality, and yes, it can be TOO WET!!
Epic cotton and candy :b

i think the worst issues is the Premium and exotic one i hate it
Old January 31st, 2009, 05:28 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
Wait.. what? Girls don't have sleepovers and make out and have naked pillow fights? What
Some do some don't!
Old January 31st, 2009, 09:13 PM
rosc2112
Hookah Newbie

LOL, damn I didn't think anyone would be brazen enough to sell tobacco on ebay like that. I went and looked, and you don't have to worry much, the prices are ridiculously expensive.
Old January 31st, 2009, 09:25 PM
Ninorey123
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Ninorey123

Quote:
yes it pisses me the hell off then they use beautiful, voluptuous, young women to sell things. i mean they make it so hard to refuse!
Old January 31st, 2009, 11:16 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

ya some of it bothers me a little but its basic marketing,

as to the premium/exotic/etc look at fertilizer, it is poop, pure and utter poop but call it "fertilizer" and it sells for much more. its all in the terms. all companies will say their product is great, no one will say its middle of the road product because then you wont want to buy it

moassel vs molasses, probably started as a misunderstanding/ misnomer and just got picked up, as to those that sell on ebay its just because its the only way they can get away with selling it there

herbal, ya tobacco free is more correct but its easier to say herbal so what ever, ya it is misleading but ill get over it, i dont smoke it so what ever

and as to the using chicks to sell it
-guys will buy anything with a hot enough girl on it
-girls will see it and subconsciously think it will make them hotter or
-guys buy it and girls see it so they buy it to impress the guys

and come of the female form is the more ascetically pleasing of the 2 in general, women will relate to a female more when being sold something in person and males will react cause its a girl, men can be more intimidating to both genders

its what happens when you try to sell things in todays world

-matt
Old January 31st, 2009, 11:25 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

LOL so I would assume a company that has a commercial featuring a scantily clad babe pushing a product touted as their premium molasses blend in their exotic line and fading into a plug for their herbal blend in the end would be the absolute worst for you Hajo LOL
Old January 31st, 2009, 11:30 PM
dragonman586
Hookah Pro

Hajo I do agree with what you have said here. But understand that not every company is a purist but a capitalist. You have to understand that the popularity of Hookah is spreading like wildfire through colleges and such and none of them are purists I am in college and all my friends are retarded. All that stuff you say bugs you drives em nuts.

P.S. I have some friends that swear by Starbuzz and cringe at Naklah and feel better about themselves because they paid $20 a tin.
Old January 31st, 2009, 11:34 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskysibe View Post
LOL so I would assume a company that has a commercial featuring a scantily clad babe pushing a product touted as their premium molasses blend in their exotic line and fading into a plug for their herbal blend in the end would be the absolute worst for you Hajo LOL
you forgot the tin Husky
Old January 31st, 2009, 11:36 PM
ChronicHookah
Banned

good points hajo!
Old February 1st, 2009, 12:05 AM
speel
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to speel

Yea the premium aspect you picked out gets to me to, like its the same shit that every one else sells just a different label and different "flavor name" meaning exotic this, wild this, strawberry yumyum drink or what ever. Me personally yea I like starbuzz but the fact that its considered "premium" and costs 20$ is just crazy.

But yea Hajo you point out some great aspects.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook