Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Annoying Marketing

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 1st, 2009, 12:06 AM
Madwolf
Hookah Enthusiast

Default Re: Annoying Marketing

The Baja Little wooden boxes are nice, and it doesn't cost that much more than nakahla. Course that JM's premium stuff in a tin doesn't look very appetizing.
Old February 1st, 2009, 12:33 AM
highlight
Hookah Nut

Just to add to Hajo's above. I get PO'd when a company changes their name and markets tobacco like its a new product, so more people can buy it and decide it sucks.
No names mentioned...
Old February 1st, 2009, 03:30 PM
ShishaBubbly
Banned

You are right! And imagine what a military arms dealer has to do in order to advertise his "goods". Freebies, tour junkets, massage , under-the-table bribes. Most of us hookah smokers know how to cut the "Abu ali" story from the truth.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:23 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Fezzik Send a message via Yahoo to Fezzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninorey123 View Post
yes it pisses me the hell off then they use beautiful, voluptuous, young women to sell things. i mean they make it so hard to refuse!
Really? Cause when I was single by the time I was done with the ad there wasn't enough blood in my brain to remember what they were trying to sell.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:37 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

You know what would make me happy if starbuzz stopped using those tins, and just sold the shisha for $15.00 instead of having the extra 5 added for the tin, it can come in a tangiers style bag for all i care, all my shisha gets transferred over to ziplocks anyway.

Same with all brands, put it in a tin and add $5, like the JM stuff, i haven't tried it but they must have added a bit on top for the tins, i would have preferred the cardborad box like baja, or AF containers.

Don't get me wrong i like the tins but i'm not paying for a tin im paying for the shisha inside the tin
Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:48 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelbadboy2006 View Post
You know what would make me happy if starbuzz stopped using those tins, and just sold the shisha for $15.00 instead of having the extra 5 added for the tin, it can come in a tangiers style bag for all i care, all my shisha gets transferred over to ziplocks anyway.

Same with all brands, put it in a tin and add $5, like the JM stuff, i haven't tried it but they must have added a bit on top for the tins, i would have preferred the cardborad box like baja, or AF containers.

Don't get me wrong i like the tins but i'm not paying for a tin im paying for the shisha inside the tin
i just want something recyclable. if its a metal can make it sturdy out of a good metal and charge the 50 cents more it really costs, or a recyclable plastic or cardboard. given i dont have recycling here at my apartment but still its a thought

for gods sake AF has 3 layers (cardboard box, plastic bucket, then plastic bag) and its 8 bucks, no reason other ones should cost a whole lot
-matt
Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:52 PM
Gunslinger09
Hookah Nut

yeah the high price for a tin is crazy
Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:53 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
i just want something recyclable. if its a metal can make it sturdy out of a good metal and charge the 50 cents more it really costs, or a recyclable plastic or cardboard. given i dont have recycling here at my apartment but still its a thought

for gods sake AF has 3 layers (cardboard box, plastic bucket, then plastic bag) and its 8 bucks, no reason other ones should cost a whole lot
-matt

So true the main objective of these companies should be to lower prices for consumers, by lowering they own production cost, AF can do without the outter card board box, but AF is pretty cheap in the U.S, so not many people would complain, but if they added a dollar more then people might.

I think starbuzz should try lowering prices by getting rid of tins, they make a good wind cover extension but how many extensions are you really gonna need, and what other use is the tin after the shisha has finished, its not even air tight
Old February 2nd, 2009, 01:01 PM
Ninorey123
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Ninorey123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezzik View Post
Really? Cause when I was single by the time I was done with the ad there wasn't enough blood in my brain to remember what they were trying to sell.
LOL!!!!!
Old February 2nd, 2009, 02:55 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolinger View Post
I love you Hajo.

Exactly my same issues.

Also, juices.

I'm sorry, just cause your product is floating in juice, doesnt mean its gonna be a good flavor and a good smoke.

The issue is tobacco quality, and yes, it can be TOO WET!!
Gotta agree with you on the juice thing. I absolutely hate it when I get a jar of glycerine with a bit of washed tobacco thrown in. Somewhere along the way a bunch smokers have decided that that moassel should should be mostly water to be any good. Obviously one can go nuts in the other direction like the Germans have but even that is better is better then a Zona style puddle.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 03:01 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyIsJustKidding View Post
I DEFINITELY can agree with you on this one.

don't some vendors realize that there are GIRL smokers who are STRAIGHT?

Pssh, how would the male smokers feel if girls changed it around by instead of having a "hot" chick on the ad, changing it to a shirtless, greasy "hot" male model on the front? Hah >_< NOW does everyone understand what I'm saying?

I'm not exactly a feminist, but it annoys the effing hell out of me when females are just marketing products. I know "sex sells" but it gets very old after a while
I'm with you on this one Jilly. I most certainly don't want to see some Fabio type smoking (unless it's the legendary '70s badass movie star Fabio Testi) and lubricated people of any description are really annoying in adds.

The worst for this sort of thing Taqseem (the people that make KK's Stargate) in that their site has all of these cuties in bikinis pretending to smoke in layout that are done in such a way that you can't even get a decent look at the rigs.

Why can't they just say what makes their product better?
Old February 2nd, 2009, 03:06 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

[quote=ZenSilk;118966]Wait.. what? Girls don't have sleepovers and make out and have naked pillow fights? What[/quote
That's news to me. Next you'll be telling me is that most women don't get turned on when they catch the boy friends cheating or that Jackie Chan movies don't portray police work realistically.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 03:06 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

I smoked Fumari Mint Chocolate Chill but I am not any sexier and I am not being smothered by sexy ladies 24/7... they lied to me!!!
Old February 2nd, 2009, 03:11 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShishaBubbly View Post
You are right! And imagine what a military arms dealer has to do in order to advertise his "goods". Freebies, tour junkets, massage , under-the-table bribes. Most of us hookah smokers know how to cut the "Abu ali" story from the truth.
I could tell you stories about how stuff is sold in the defense and aerospace markets that would amaze and sicken you but that will wait until another time. What i'd like to see are firms hyping what the sell by showing how the stuff is made and the car in selecting the ingredients and such.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 03:13 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
I could tell you stories about how stuff is sold in the defense and aerospace markets that would amaze and sicken you but that will wait until another time. What i'd like to see are firms hyping what the sell by showing how the stuff is made and the car in selecting the ingredients and such.
Everything shipped over here absolutely has none of that,s o there's no way to possibly show the consumer what it's like. Yet people will still always buy it.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 03:28 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

you guys shit on tangiers but ill have to tell you

he's shown me how he makes the stuff, the process, what he uses. explained where everything comes from, the quality. he calls his stuff tobacco...no fancy labeling, no fancy tins.

if you dont like it, and its too hard, too finicky, too weird...etc. thats fine, but ive seen what he does, how its made, and its pretty much the only stuff ill touch now.

personally, i hate all these new perfume smelling, artificial candy tasting tobaccos. anything from fantasia, starbuzz, etc...terrible.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 03:38 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post

he's shown me how he makes the stuff, the process, what he uses. explained where everything comes from, the quality. he calls his stuff tobacco...no fancy labeling, no fancy tins.

if you dont like it, and its too hard, too finicky, too weird...etc. thats fine, but ive seen what he does, how its made, and its pretty much the only stuff ill touch now.

personally, i hate all these new perfume smelling, artificial candy tasting tobaccos. anything from fantasia, starbuzz, etc...terrible.
Tangiers is amazing. His tobacco is almost exclusively sold through word of mouth. Those who hate it bash it, and then the person sees it's being bashed and tried it anyway and enjoys it!
Old February 2nd, 2009, 05:00 PM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezzik View Post

ROFLMAO ...... I guess I know where that blood went ..... LMAO
Old February 2nd, 2009, 05:58 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:

the best part of tangiers to me is that the name and number are hand written on, packaged with love right there
-matt
Old February 2nd, 2009, 06:54 PM
necco
Hookah Pro

I agree about juice-heavy shisha. I hate preparing a bowl and looking like I washed my hands in period blood.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 07:06 PM
h0lic
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to h0lic Send a message via Yahoo to h0lic

i hate when vendors talk to you like you're getting the best deal in the universe when it's obvious you're getting hosed- and when they basically insult your intelligence for not doing business with them
Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:04 PM
Gift3d
Hookah Nut

I wouldn't say those bother me exactly, just statements that i generally ignore and don't mean anything to me. Luckily i can get away with just taking the brand and flavor, then hopping over to the reviews section to get some real input and information on it (:
Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:16 PM
necco
Hookah Pro

I actually don't mind the models in marketing for shisha, not because I'm a dude but because cosmopolitian advertising adds a more modern taste. Maybe I've lived in Boston for too long. Urgh I can't wait to move back.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 10:21 PM
dragonman586
Hookah Pro

Quote:

Tangy FTMFW buddy! Can't wait for my shipment to come in.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 11:17 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

i agree 110% with what Hajo said about number 1 and 5.. its tobacco it may not have the same chemicals as maybe a cigar or cigarette but its still tobacco.. and also like a qucik brand i can think of ( i have never smoked it before,so i have no idea the quality, but no need for the girls.. if your brand is good it will sell..
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook