Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

The perfect hose

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 8th, 2009, 09:26 PM
1lowtoy
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to 1lowtoy Send a message via Yahoo to 1lowtoy
Default The perfect hose

Ok gang i was wondering what do you think the perfect hose would require. Im pissed off both of my razan hoses fell apart over the weekend and i cant wash my KM hoses. So since i own a mahine shop and weve been slow i was going to write some programs and kick out a few custom hoses Im proably going to mass produce these things and sell them to retail stores and actually have some type of warranties unlike most of the hoses with the help of you guys for the actuall construction of these and the labor of family friends and employees while slow im thinking i can mass produce these things very eaisly. So give me your input. ide like to know materials as long as there machinable for the mouth and tail end. hose diameter and general style and frills. For thoes interested there will be a opertunity to purchase these with discounts and so on appon complietion for HP members. Rember the more exotic the materials the more there going to cost. I have built my self a complete epoxie based carbon fiber ends for my personal hose and these would cost a small forturne for the public to purchase so items like this would be out of the question. 304 stainless would me heavy and expensive so i was thinking more along the line of acrylic or aluminum, since my mom and i both do hot glass torch work as a hobby i was thinking about making some limited eddition glass ended hoses also but would raise the price quite a bit. I was going to try to make somthing much like the leila in the past but the billet stock for me to make it was going to price out of the ball park so gave up on the idea. so i think the hose idea will work out great. Just give me your 2 cents.

Thanks
Travis
Old February 8th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Tom16689
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Tom16689
Default Re: The perfect hose

As long as you would be able to keep the quality decent and production cost/pricing down I would be interested.

I remember seeing glass tips and glass cobra hoses for nammors, It would be awesome if you could make some.

I wouldn't mind a wide gauge washable hose that doesn't have a huge handle, they're nice but it would be good to be able to switch it up.
Old February 8th, 2009, 09:33 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

I like acrylic mouthpieces.....

aluminum might be cool.....

as for diameter/etc...i d just pretty much mimic razan/nammor physical specs.

covered, flexible food safe tubing for the hose? idk.

cool idea tho ^_^
Old February 8th, 2009, 09:52 PM
1lowtoy
Hookah Nut

ive already done some research on food grade glues and epoxies. one major flaw im finding in the hoses i have is prep work. like on the razans ive dicected since they have completely fallen apart. Things like the glue it self is hot glue not so good for use on smooth plastics like the grommets and handle shaft. Witch leads me to that the shafts are smooth ABS plastic with is great for this application but needs to be roughed well and the wraping shoud have been terminated with CA or other form of safe glue for our application so it wont unravel. Also what do you guys think needs to be done for decoration. the razan saulton in my opinon was cool but lacks somthing not sure what but somthing. Im thinking about contacting Sam and maby working out some give aways of the first ones and going to machine The HP logo with permision from sam of corse for the give away and only the give away ones. Whats your thoughts im very serious about this.
Old February 8th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Tom16689
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Tom16689

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowtoy View Post
The HP logo with permision from sam of corse for the give away and only the give away ones. Whats your thoughts im very serious about this.
That would be extremely badass. I would prefer function to come first though.
Old February 8th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

My perfect hose has a nice comfortable handle, no wool or itchy fabrics, but perhaps a nice synthetic foam would be sweet, I also like having a very flexible hose so it wont tip, but with that i would like it to be clear and of course completely washable. Also, a clear acrylic handle would be nice and a huge diameter bore and possibly an adjustable bore thing on either end of the hose to adjust your pull setting because some people actually like having a small amount of resistance.
Old February 8th, 2009, 10:33 PM
chain
Hookah Pro

+1 to the whole idea. i'll be on the list to buy if they're available to us to purchase.

and +2 to the glass tips ideas. i would buy a hose with those in a second. i've thought about asking the local glass shops to do it but figured it would be way expensive.

i'm extremely excited to see how this turns out
Old February 8th, 2009, 10:42 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Washable is a must.
I am not too worried about the weight but I am more concerned about flexibility.
If the part that is inserted into the hose port is relatively short then if it is heavy there is no real worry with it tipping the hookah.
Aluminum would be light but frankly I would prefer the feel of acrylic over aluminum in my mouth.
A good draw that is comparable to the nammor, razan or KM hoses please.
A tip that can accept the various mouth tips that are offered for sanitary purposes.
The ability to take off/ screw off both of the ends would be good for washing.

I will ponder and start another list if I think of anything.
Old February 8th, 2009, 11:44 PM
1lowtoy
Hookah Nut

do you guys really think a clear hose would sell i just think they would be to flexiable and kink to easy. Ive moded a few wooden tiped hoses with food grade vinal tubing and you have to watch how you store them very carefully or they kink or crush where hung im not aginst it but the alternative that is clear besides food grade vinal is food grade silicone or tefflon starting about $20 a foot wholesale and that would make the hose over a 100 a pop for a completed hose. I would like to build the ultimate hose and have it still be under $35 a hose. belive it or not acrylic is not that cheep for good machinable stuff. about half the actual cost of a razan is in the 2 ends. i though about the clear handle idea it sounds awsome but it unsure of it. its not very traditional and dont know how well it would sell it would save me work but on the other hand the price would go up due to the cost of the acrylic needed for the handle. I guess i need a all over design ideas to get this started. I dont want a sales gimmick i wand a pratical very useable hose. large bore medium sized handle that wont fall apart and so on. i will incorporate what ever you guys think will sell the best. Rember there can be a diffrence between cool and pratical. Pratical and usiability is what im going for here.
Old February 8th, 2009, 11:46 PM
SIAGCORE
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to SIAGCORE Send a message via Skype™ to SIAGCORE

I say washable is a must.
what would be cool is a more modular style
make it with changeable parts so if so fool steps on the hose end then just have to buy that hose leaking then get just the hose part and if you wanted a longer hose then take tip off add hose tip back on supper hose. i find that a lot the times my hose is to long for solo time but fine for group so it change hose every other session this would allow for custom sized handles too

Last edited by SIAGCORE; February 8th, 2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old February 8th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

yea, i see what you mean about clear hoses kinking, and i think it would be too expensive to get a quality hose that was clear and had some type of metal reinforcements in the hose. So a clear hose is cool, but definitely not if you have to sacrifice any quality of smoking
Old February 9th, 2009, 12:10 AM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

my thoughts on hose are this. The wider razan/namoor (I've owned both)type hose are fine for wetter,big smoke type moassels. But for dryer, more traditional moassels I preffer a tighter hose. I feel it give a more concentrated, full flavored smoke. I still use my namoor when I smoke Tangiers, but that's about it.
W/regards to materials, I've seen glass tipped hoses in the past.I beleive mr. B may have picked one up awhile back. Washable materials are great. But for hoses that are not washable, the way to clean them is to allow them to sit for afew days. This allows the resins to dry. Then beat the crap out of it. this obviously loosens said resins. And then blow them out w/a hose from an air compressor.(I know you have one in the shop)
I'de love to see what you come up w/lowtoy. Hopefully you'll do something interesting and unique.
Old February 9th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

I think the best hose should be made of leather (from the inside) because it holds the taste if u r smoking one flavor. I don't care if it is washable or not.
Old February 9th, 2009, 04:48 AM
wonderland
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to wonderland

i dunno but id like a hose made out of that plumbing metal flex water line stuff... its real nice... its obviously air tight and water proof... lol get about 6 feet of that throw some nice decoration on it with an acyrilic tip hellz ya... lol wow i suck at spelling

http://www.jklfaucets.com/files/1587...aded/13871.jpg

dumb idea lol i kno

o and id like a grip feel on my hose handle like a golf club lol... all rubberized and shit... lol

Last edited by wonderland; February 9th, 2009 at 04:52 AM.
Old February 9th, 2009, 05:13 AM
dragonman586
Hookah Pro

The only true issue I see is getting wide gauge flexible tubing. I have been looking forever at local shops for corrugated tubing. The general handle/mouth tip construction that I have seen so far is good. The handle of the Razan with the tip of a KM (contoured to the lips). Is perfect. Now just the trouble of finding appropriate hosing. (the vinyl tubing from Home Depot won't do because it stiffens up something fierce in the winter.)
Old February 9th, 2009, 05:40 AM
mitchard
Banned

A washable KM Ultimate (or Extreme for that matter) would be amazing.

Old February 9th, 2009, 08:23 AM
PCServe
Hookah Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to PCServe Send a message via MSN to PCServe Send a message via Skype™ to PCServe

im very satisfied with my nammor hose, but the best hose, i know is the King EX-L from britain.
http://www.theshishashop.com/shisha-...lue-p-213.html
unfortunately i couldnt get one yet. someday i have to buy it
Old February 9th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Fezzik Send a message via Yahoo to Fezzik

Saudi Washable hose from thehookahstore.com
Old February 9th, 2009, 12:01 PM
xHARRYxCOLONx
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCServe View Post
im very satisfied with my nammor hose, but the best hose, i know is the King EX-L from britain.
http://www.theshishashop.com/shisha-...lue-p-213.html
unfortunately i couldnt get one yet. someday i have to buy it
this hoses is awesome!! i want one! i think u should make one like this lowtoy lol
Old February 9th, 2009, 12:44 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderland View Post
i dunno but id like a hose made out of that plumbing metal flex water line stuff... its real nice... its obviously air tight and water proof... lol get about 6 feet of that throw some nice decoration on it with an acyrilic tip hellz ya... lol wow i suck at spelling

http://www.jklfaucets.com/files/1587...aded/13871.jpg

dumb idea lol i kno

o and id like a grip feel on my hose handle like a golf club lol... all rubberized and shit... lol
I was thinking that too. my only concern is the weight of the hose... That type of hose can be kind of heavy making it iffy for a smaller rig or one without a wide base.

But I really do love the idea.
Old February 9th, 2009, 01:15 PM
h0lic
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to h0lic Send a message via Yahoo to h0lic

Making a tip that contours with the lips is right on track. Or even making two tips of tips, a wide tip and a narrow tip that fits the end of the hose. Now the hose, personally I'd like to see a smaller handle. I've always wanted a hose with a handle made out of the same material as a razan/nammor/grand mouthpiece. You could even carve out some average sized grips in the side like you see on some refreshment bottles. That would look very clean, and leave room for etching in logos like you're talking about. The actual hose shouldn't be have any velvet-ish material on it, because if you store it or it drags on a surface it will quickly tatter; and if you make it out of thicker velvet type material your production costs will be up. So I'd suggest any other washable material. Also, making the 2 ends screw off wouldn't just be more convenient to clean: it would give you the opportunity to sell replaceable hose pieces if that part is damaged another color or even leather is desired. The only issue with screw on is if you cheap out on manufacturing them they won't be so air-tight after a while.
Old February 9th, 2009, 01:17 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

make the tips out of delrin or a plastic/resin of some sort, all machinable and no risk of rust or anything. 304 stainless is cool and all but it transfers heat very slowly so it might be rather cold on the lips for a little while, also machine it would be resulting in a larger tip and a metal tip would be bad, chip a tooth and you'll be pissed (the blow pipes used in glass blowing are either metal tipped or delrin tipped and many people hate the metal tipped ones cause it is easier to chip a tooth on them, like i did a few weeks ago)

i would stick with a food safe tubing that can be cleaned, and to assemble it use something like UV glue that wont wear out like the hot glue does on the nammors/razans

-matt
Old February 9th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Cj Two A
Hookah Nut

I would love a hookah hose with a tip something like this. I don't know where it would fall on the price range, but The Egyptian posted pictures of his trip to the KM store in Egypt, and I've been obsessed with this hose tip ever since. I would pay good money after bad for one lol.

Oh, and sorry The Egyptian, for ganking your picture, but I love this tip.
Old February 9th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Electric3002
Hookah Newbie

Hose tip out of titanium would be nice. Or make it out of cobalt chrome for extra wear resistance. Polish with a [FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]4 finish also,please.
Old February 9th, 2009, 07:36 PM
PCServe
Hookah Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to PCServe Send a message via MSN to PCServe Send a message via Skype™ to PCServe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHARRYxCOLONx View Post
this hoses is awesome!! i want one! i think u should make one like this lowtoy lol
yeah, the king ex-l is really nice. and its draw is just perfect! better, than the nammor hose! i think i will buy one soon, since they are aviable in some shops here in germany this should not be a problem.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook