Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Scalli Mod?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 11th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Tyrealz
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Tyrealz Send a message via Skype™ to Tyrealz
Default Scalli Mod?

Hey all,

I was smoking some bowls with a few friends tonight and was trying to make a couple homebrew items to enhance my smoking sessions.

First off I made a Molson Canadian stubby windcover, as it was the only thing wide enough to fit over my tangiers bowl, and it actually works pretty well.

More importantly, in the same tangiers bowl I tried to make a homebrew scali mod, using the ass end of one of the molson cans. After bending 4 prongs out to let the smoke escape, I noticed that with a mod the smoke was thicker, but the shisha did burn away slightly faster.

Is it worth it to continue using my home-made scali mod, or to just ditch it and use the tangiers how it was made?
Old February 11th, 2009, 12:39 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Default Re: Scalli Mod?

The Tangiers bowl was literally made for Tangiers Tobacco. The scalli mod makes so it is much more user friendly with any other kind of tobacco. The creator of the Tangiers bowl is a smart guy, and knows his tobacco like the back of his hand, and was able to craft a bowl to perfectly capture the Tangiers smoking experience.

The Mod was invented by a third party. This guy is pretty famous for his Hookah innovations, most of which are extremely useful. The mod re-directs smoke flow. I don't knwo the specifics, I don't know of anyone that knows exactly why the mod works so well... but it does.

I always use a mod, for every single session of non-Tangiers tobacco.
Old February 11th, 2009, 12:39 AM
rileynason
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to rileynason

I guess it all just comes down to personal preference! if it works for you you should keep using it that is if it is not burning the shisha super fast!!.
Old February 11th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Tyrealz
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Tyrealz Send a message via Skype™ to Tyrealz

Makes sense.

I have a couple tubs of Tangiers lying around that I picked up in a trade. One thing I did notice is that they don't have as in-your-face a smell as some other brands. Guess I will just have to follow a youtube video on how to pack and smoke it properly.

It will have to wait until my charcoals get here from hookah John, I am tired of using three kings pieces of shit.
Old February 11th, 2009, 12:44 AM
rileynason
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to rileynason

The reason the don't have the smell is you have to acclimate them to your area! if you leave them out for like 1 to 4 hours they should be acclimated and smell strong and exactly what their supposed to smell like!
Old February 11th, 2009, 12:44 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

if you are smoking Tangiers, the mod is unnecessary.
Old February 11th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Divine
Hookah Nut

As far as the mod goes, you can pick up a very nice glass scalli mod through MNHookah.com.
Old February 11th, 2009, 04:46 AM
wonderland
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to wonderland

I never liked the mod. I just use the tang phunnel the way it is.
Old February 11th, 2009, 05:22 AM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrealz View Post

More importantly, in the same tangiers bowl I tried to make a homebrew scali mod, using the ass end of one of the molson cans. After bending 4 prongs out to let the smoke escape, I noticed that with a mod the smoke was thicker, but the shisha did burn away slightly faster.

Is it worth it to continue using my home-made scali mod, or to just ditch it and use the tangiers how it was made?
I did the same thing and noticed it burns a lot faster for some reason so now i just use the the bowl as it is

But i wanna try the Glass mod one day to see if it makes a difference
Old February 11th, 2009, 08:43 AM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

The tangiers bowl is a very simple design for a very simple purpose.

What happens when you have a really wet tobacco in a normal bowl? the juice drips down. well, lets stop the drip!!!!

Lets place the holes up higher, well fuck, we only really need one if we are gonna do that....ok. BOWL MADE.

then this scalliwag guy comes around and says, well fuck, i still want the smoke to come in through the bottom instead of the top of the tobacco, the bottom being wetter. Ok lets make a cap so it comes in from the bottom.

Cool. Done.
----

In practice, it doesnt matter, you can smoke whatever you want in a regualr clay bowl and have a great experience. If you blindfolded anyone here, they wouldnt be able to tell you the difference.

I still have a tangiers bowl, I still use this bowl....for wet tobacco's only. It makes it easier to clean the stem when sticky tobacco juice isnt inside of it.

As for the scallimod....well I use it when I dont have access to heavy duty foil. The weaker foil will sag in the middle of the bowl, so that the hole is covered by the foil, that is to say, there is now space between the foil and the hole, making it really hard to get any smoke it. The scallimod prevented that for me....but if I use regular foil I'm ok. Its also used as a tobacco saver by many instead.

Basically said, both the bowl and mod are clever inventions in that they are simplistic, but most of it is a whole lot of BS.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:35 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolinger View Post
The tangiers bowl is a very simple design for a very simple purpose.

What happens when you have a really wet tobacco in a normal bowl? the juice drips down. well, lets stop the drip!!!!

Lets place the holes up higher, well fuck, we only really need one if we are gonna do that....ok. BOWL MADE.

then this scalliwag guy comes around and says, well fuck, i still want the smoke to come in through the bottom instead of the top of the tobacco, the bottom being wetter. Ok lets make a cap so it comes in from the bottom.

Cool. Done.
----

In practice, it doesnt matter, you can smoke whatever you want in a regualr clay bowl and have a great experience. If you blindfolded anyone here, they wouldnt be able to tell you the difference.

I still have a tangiers bowl, I still use this bowl....for wet tobacco's only. It makes it easier to clean the stem when sticky tobacco juice isnt inside of it.

As for the scallimod....well I use it when I dont have access to heavy duty foil. The weaker foil will sag in the middle of the bowl, so that the hole is covered by the foil, that is to say, there is now space between the foil and the hole, making it really hard to get any smoke it. The scallimod prevented that for me....but if I use regular foil I'm ok. Its also used as a tobacco saver by many instead.

Basically said, both the bowl and mod are clever inventions in that they are simplistic, but most of it is a whole lot of BS.
The Phunnel bowl is meant to add length and flavor to the smoking session. In my opinion, it does a GREAT job. And you are right, it is meant for smoking a wet tobacco.

I only smoke Nakhla from an Egyptian bowl, as it never works for me in a Phunnel, ever, Mod or not. The flavor of the Nakhla is great, and strong flavors all around, and it lasts about an hour; but when I'm using Fumari in an Egyptian bowl I get about 30 minutes of a great smoke before it dies. In a Phunnel, that goes on for more than an hour, sometimes 2.

Not using a phunnel bowl for wet tobacco will not let you have the greatest sessions you can have. Cleanliness is also a good aspect. If it's your thing, smoke quality is really not based on the bowl itself, but both the Phunnel and Egyptian smoke very smoothly. Also, smoking Desi out of an Egyptian is quite a hassle.
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:54 AM
vcitriniti
Deleted Per User Request

[FONT=Verdana]I have smoked Tangiers out of a phunnel bowl with and without the scalli mod. To me I find that with the mod for some reason I get less of a buzz. But I do find that the tobacco burns a bit quicker. I still use it once in a while just hoping that maybe one time it will give me a perfect smoke. Now if I were smoking a different brand of tobacco I will use the mod for sure, but to be honest I have just switched over to a Vortex bowl and I will not use my phunnel for anything other than Tangiers.[/FONT]
Old February 11th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Ninorey123
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Ninorey123

i just like using a makeshift mod so coal ash doesn't go through the hole into the stem
Old February 11th, 2009, 04:36 PM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
I don't know of anyone that knows exactly why the mod works so well... but it does.
I know why.. here you go :

Check the airflow pattern and you'll see why the mod works. It draws the hot air off the coals further down to the bottom of the bowl, vaporizing the glycerine and molasses sitting at the bottom, not just burning whats on top of the bowl like the one without the mod.

The mod doesnt burn the shisha any faster than without, the rate of vaporization is the same, however you're actually getting ALL the moassel hot now instead of just the top. An even burning bowl will die faster than a bowl thats only half burning.

Just think of a coal : If half the coal is lit, the other half wont burn, where as a coal thats fully lit burns at an even rate.

Plus the mod takes up space, meaning you use less moassel than you would without a mod.

Smaller Amount + Better Heat Distribution = a shorter lasting smoke, but a higher quality one.

Now this is, of course, all in theory, I dont use a mod just because Im not really interested in trying one out or making one.

Last edited by HookahWaffle; February 11th, 2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old February 11th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Frank Dux
Hookah Newbie

The phunnel was mainly made because people could not get tangiers to smoke right with his normal wide bowls, which I use all the time. The phunnel makes it easier to get tangiers to smoke (but sometimes it is still a pain in the a@@) The mod was mainly for the non-tangiers drippy tobbacco like AF, Layalina, etc..
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook