Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

I keep burning the shisha.. what am i doing wrong?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 12th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Atari007
Hookah Newbie

Default I keep burning the shisha.. what am i doing wrong?

Hi everyone. First post here!

I am having a small problem with my hookah i think. Well, its probably not the hookah, im sure its something Im doing wrong. I just have a regular clay bowl, and I have tried a few different coals (usually whatever my tobacco store has on hand). Tonight I am using "Pharaoh's" quicklight coals. I packed the bowl till it was near the top, but a few cm below the top. I lit the coal and made sure it was nice and red before I put it on top. At first I couldnt get any smoke really, so I heated up another coal on the side while I tried to get it going with one coal (to no real avail). When the second coal was ready, I plopped it on top of the bowl and I started getting a lot more smoke, but I could tell it was burning. Is this just a problem with these crappy coals? Am I putting too much tobacco in it? Oh, and i am using a mixture of al-waha pineapple and mint (dont know if that makes a difference).

What do you guys think? I am on the verge of ordering so coconaras... do you think that would help??

Atari007.
Old February 12th, 2009, 08:02 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Default Re: I keep burning the shisha.. what am i doing wrong?

Sounds like too much heat, and that you need a windcover!
Old February 12th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Atari007
Hookah Newbie

Well, I do have a windcover... should I just use that with one coal?
Old February 12th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Pixelz
Hookah Pro

It sounds like your not putting enough shisha in, pack the bowl intill it ALMOST peeks over the edge, basically just below level, also Al-waha works better if you have a screen, HookahHookah use foil. But Al-waha i'd use a screen if you have one.
Old February 12th, 2009, 08:05 PM
xephyd
Hookah Newbie

i also use quicklights. i duno if pharaoh QL are in discs, but all the QL coals i've used are discs. after lighting them to red hot, i usually break them in half using my tongs. then put them on opposite sides of the bowl. let them sit for ~6-10 min to let it heat up the shisha, depending on how wet it is. try doing that before adding another coal, since it seems like if you add 2 at a time its just going to burn it. if that doesn't work, try breaking 2 coals into halves, then only use 3 of them and put them in a triangular formation. from my experience, thats more than enough for my regular MYA bowl.

also, if you notice wisps of smoke coming up from your bowl (a good sign that your shisha is burning and you have too much heat) when you're not taking a pull, take off one of the half discs, then rearrange the other two half coals so that they're opposite each other. let it cool down, and then later you can add the third half again
Old February 12th, 2009, 08:49 PM
h0lic
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to h0lic Send a message via Yahoo to h0lic

half your QL coals up man. they will go quicker so keep another half and half on the stove about 10mins into your session. just break them in half and invest/make a windcover. check the do-it-yourselfer's area.

Last edited by h0lic; February 12th, 2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old February 12th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Atari007
Hookah Newbie

Thanks for the quick replys guys!

I do have a windcover... From the sounds of it, I should be using it, eh?

I am going to repack a bowl, use one of my metal screens instead of foil, break up the QL coals and use the windcover to see if it makes a difference.

Ill let you know here in a little bit how it does!
Old February 12th, 2009, 09:23 PM
guesswhoy0
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to guesswhoy0

yeah, definately half up your QL coals and use your windcover. like they say, you want to bake your shisha, not fry it.
Old February 12th, 2009, 09:25 PM
xHARRYxCOLONx
Hookah Nut

the problem is ur using al waha lol! seriously tho... get rid of it.
Old February 12th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Atari007
Hookah Newbie

haha, is al-waha crap? Its all they sell at my local shop.... It just recently that Ive even thought about hookah forums and ordring all of this stuff online! I have been reading about some of these others and think that Im going to place an order for some of the better stuff.....

I honestly havent heard much about al-waha, and dont know much about the quality of any the shishas out there....

Im still learning!

By the way, im just got this new bowl going, and so far, it seems to be doing well!!
Old February 12th, 2009, 09:41 PM
chrisicool
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari007 View Post
haha, is al-waha crap? Its all they sell at my local shop.... It just recently that Ive even thought about hookah forums and ordring all of this stuff online! I have been reading about some of these others and think that Im going to place an order for some of the better stuff.....

I honestly havent heard much about al-waha, and dont know much about the quality of any the shishas out there....

Im still learning!

By the way, im just got this new bowl going, and so far, it seems to be doing well!!
Al Waha is at the lower end of the shisha chain. It's not all completely bad, just a lower quality shisha. Definitely sounds to me like you might be using too much heat, Al Waha burns super quick from my experience, and it's a harsh smoke anyways. Try splitting one coal in half and placing it on the rim of the bowl. using two sheets of foil instead of one. From personal experience with Al-Waha I'd just stay away from it. Nasty stuff. AF was good to me, and romman was good. Both relatively cheaper shisha. Haha a few here would dissagree on AF, and Nahkla is king.
Old February 12th, 2009, 09:46 PM
KarmaHookah
Banned

AW is crap, buy some better shisha.
Old February 12th, 2009, 09:50 PM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KillerB Send a message via MSN to KillerB

al-waha isnt the best shisha, but that isnt the issue here. I am going to say that you should just try the windcover first and foremost. The screen thing is irrelevant imo (sorry pixelz). Also, what are you doing for a hole pattern? I prefer to use a needle and poke a buhjillion holes in it.

if the windcover doesnt work, then try splitting the coals (i always find i shatter the damn things when i try). Try that with and without the cover.

But in the long run, my suggestion is make an upgrade. Get you some natural coals. I prefer coconut coals. Coconaras are spendy but great. ******* Hookah coals are awesome (and come in a QL variety which is VERY good also), and i have heard great things about Al Fakher's new coconut coals, although i am not sure of any vendors we are allowed to mention carry them. (dont PM me on this, i wont tell you. haha. I support HP and its rules)
Old February 12th, 2009, 09:51 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

i personally like some al waha, their cola is great

as to the heat, try the breaking the coal up, maybe even use 3 halves. also if you are putting the coal in the center of your bowl that is your issue, the coals should be on the edge.

as to the screen, ive never tried them but i dont have a lot of faith in it.

-matt
Old February 12th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Atari007
Hookah Newbie

Ok, well, when I made my last post it was 9:33. It is now 10:06 (according to my computer anyway, lol) and its pretty much done. :| I lit a coal, got my bowl ready, broke the coal up into about 3 pieces (they are kinda hard to break up with tongs... any suggestions?) and put them around the edges. I put the windcover on and gave it about 5 minutes to warm up. While I was giving it that little bit of time, i got another coal started so that I could use some of it if I needed to. For about 15 minutes i got some decent clouds and some "ok" taste, then it noticably started to suffer. After that I went ahead and broke up the other coal and put a little more on there. It seems to help for another 10 minutes or so, but since i started writing this, it has diminished to almost nothing and a harsher smoke.

Bleh. I may try a few more times and just kinda play with it tonight, but I think I am going to order a phunnel bowl, some cococnaras and some good shisha.

Any specific suggestions on the shisha? Im thinking about getting some starbuzz peaches and cream.. (I think its call starbuzz at least, haha)

Oh, and I think im going to try to stick with the foil...
Old February 12th, 2009, 10:29 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Ok, well, when I made my last post it was 9:33. It is now 10:06 (according to my computer anyway, lol) and its pretty much done. :| I lit a coal, got my bowl ready, broke the coal up into about 3 pieces (they are kinda hard to break up with tongs... any suggestions?) and put them around the edges. I put the windcover on and gave it about 5 minutes to warm up. While I was giving it that little bit of time, i got another coal started so that I could use some of it if I needed to. For about 15 minutes i got some decent clouds and some "ok" taste, then it noticably started to suffer. After that I went ahead and broke up the other coal and put a little more on there. It seems to help for another 10 minutes or so, but since i started writing this, it has diminished to almost nothing and a harsher smoke.

Bleh. I may try a few more times and just kinda play with it tonight, but I think I am going to order a phunnel bowl, some cococnaras and some good shisha.

Any specific suggestions on the shisha? Im thinking about getting some starbuzz peaches and cream.. (I think its call starbuzz at least, haha)

Oh, and I think im going to try to stick with the foil...
for cutting/breaking coals i suggest doing it when they are not lit (flying sparks inis not good in a home) score them with a serrated knife and break them apart then light.

are you moving you coals around too?

as to coals and brands/flavors cocnaras are good coals, johns coals (******* hookah) are similar, not as good side by side but much cheaper so it is worth it and has lead a lot of us to go with his (same price coconaras=84 coals, johns= 132)

as to brands, starbuzz is alright, pricey, kinda fake flavors (some like it some dont) and some times can be a pita to manage heat on and get good flavor. nakhla is pretty easy to set up but has much more natural flavors and is a little more kick for those not used to it but good smoke. AF is ok, kinda fake flavors, some times not really consistent. i would say dont touch tangiers at this point, i like it but you need to figure out how to set up a good bowl first.

i know you said a normal Egyptian bowl but if it is a mya bowl ("egyptian" but very deep) you may have issues with it, i had issues with it tasting burnt even though it was not).

make sure the seals are all good including the bowl/stem seal, i didnt notice mine was not setting fully and after i fixed it got much better sessions (and ive been using my rig for a couple months with no issues and didnt notice it was leaking).

as to pharos coals, IIRC the local lounge used them for a while and sold them, and i think they were hit and miss, some were great and others didnt burn well, exploded, etc

also what type of foil are you using? if you are using normal "standard" foil, double it up

-matt
Old February 12th, 2009, 10:30 PM
h0lic
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to h0lic Send a message via Yahoo to h0lic

move your coals every 10-15mins. i'd suggest staying away from the screen and sticking to foil.
Old February 12th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

to much heat deff.. and always keep your coals to the edge of your bowl.. and when and if you place an order for some other shishas.. deff try out Al Fakher and Nakhla
Old February 12th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Pixelz
Hookah Pro

You guys are nuts, I LOVE Al-WAHA!
Old February 12th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Atari007
Hookah Newbie

Maintaining the coals was actually going to be one of my next questions.... I end up with a lot of ash on top of the bowl... ive just been kinda brushing it off into the ashtray thing... is that right, or should i not really be messing with the ash?
Old February 12th, 2009, 10:46 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelz View Post
You guys are nuts, I LOVE Al-WAHA!
but how much other stuff have you tried so far?

you will get to a point where you want less candy/fake and go with something else probably, or at least expand your supply. i smoked af and alwaha for a while, tried some nakhla and lately have been getting into nakhla more. i like it better over all so far, some of the flavors are still not great but for the most part the stuff just has a nicer real and some times subtle flavor... and its cheap, ya al waha is about the same price but i think nakhla is a little higher quality

-matt
Old February 12th, 2009, 10:51 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Maintaining the coals was actually going to be one of my next questions.... I end up with a lot of ash on top of the bowl... ive just been kinda brushing it off into the ashtray thing... is that right, or should i not really be messing with the ash?
when you move the coal tap the ash off into the tray, brush or blow the bowl off on top (blowing it off makes more of a mess but i think it works much better)

-matt
Old February 13th, 2009, 12:32 AM
TheHookahStore
Vendor

Try leaving a slight gap between the top of the shisha and the foil. If the foil touches the shisha, it burns too easy.

The windcover usually gives more heat not less heat. But that all depends on how often you draw.
Old February 13th, 2009, 12:37 AM
giligan08
Hookah Newbie

double your foil, try different hole patterns/amount of holes in your foil. Trial and error, that's how I learned
Old February 13th, 2009, 12:41 AM
wonderland
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to wonderland

heat management... make sure the tobacco isnt burning to the foil... try a screen trial and error like many ppl said
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook