Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Table for Hookah

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 13th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Lu1gi
Hookah Nut

Default Table for Hookah

So my friends and I are going to make a table for the hookah, we know what the colors and everything will be like but we have run into a few problems with the whole thing.

1. What kind of finish should we use? We need something that can withstand the heat of a coal for a good 10 seconds before we get it.. but still be clear and look good when it comes off.

2. What shape should it be..?

3. What type of wood should we use to make it?

4. What type of paint should we use under the clear ... ie. Spray.. etc.

Most of these questions are opinionated... but id just like to see some feedback as to what you guys think is a good idea...
Old February 13th, 2009, 03:32 AM
UXK
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to UXK Send a message via Yahoo to UXK
Default Re: Table for Hookah

for the top. if you plan on having lit coals resting on it for any period of time would have to be metal. anything else will burn and show it was burned. i would find a thin gauge steel for the top.

other than that everything else seems up to you.
Old February 13th, 2009, 05:12 AM
HookahGuru
Hookah Nut

Tile top, I have a tile top table and the coals wont burn through.
Old February 13th, 2009, 09:26 AM
SIAGCORE
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to SIAGCORE Send a message via Skype™ to SIAGCORE

LOL TIle is the Way to go and you can get some crazy stuff for the grout I sold my table but it had this silver glitter and glow in the dark stuff that I mixed in the grout made it easy to see at night and y it was like 5 dollars each to add them so for 10 bucksish you could have a great top plus there are like a million differnt choices for till I went with the 12" matted tile that had 1" tiles in it then just layed the sheets down. buddy uses a granit tiles but his table has a border edge so his tiles are just dry set in htere with a small whole under each so they can be changed or taken out and preesure wash
Old February 13th, 2009, 09:57 AM
blowjustinup
Hookah Newbie

You could put glass over the table if you didn't want to use tile?
Old February 13th, 2009, 11:28 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

i would go with glass for the top, if the coal is on it long enough to crack it then you have other issues. i just wouldnt glue the glass down (incase you do crack it for what ever reason you can replace it more easily)

as to wood, i would not get pine, i made a nice coffee table over the sumer out of fir, its kinda of expensive but its nicer wood, harder than pine and sturdy.

as to paint your gona want a good primer, color layer and some clear coat.

i went with an enamel from Sherwin williams (comes in a red can just dont remember what else it is called) there is a primer and top coat in this "brand" or what ever you want to call it and it is pretty reasonably priced. i applied it all with a spray gun that was like 30 bucks from lowes and not to hard to use (you have to cut the paint with paint thinner though to get it to spray). as to a top coat i went with a polyurethane also sprayed on (iirc you do not cut the poly but ask and check around) just be very careful to not over spray in general, i put to much on of the poly coat and got some runs that are basically impossible to get out (and i was on a time schedule so it was bad).

as to shape any thing that is not squared off is going to be hard in general, and if you dont have a miter box even that will be hard.

if you have more specific questions and stuff feel free to pm me, its not hard by any means to make it you just need to plan it out well, ill have to get some pics of my table, kept meaning to for a while but never did

-matt
Old February 13th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Sport City
Hookah Nut

Send a message via ICQ to Sport City

I was planningon making one in my next architecture craft studio. Ill post some details when I get a little more time.
Old February 13th, 2009, 01:28 PM
omgheyitskenny
Hookah Nut

My friends and I made one cept it was a beer pong table and in the middle is the hookah

went to lowes for the 8x4 wood and just used spray paint for color. also made a cabinet under it to put a stereo in for music its also on wheels
Old February 13th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Lu1gi
Hookah Nut

wow thanks for all the suggestions guys.. im probably gonna go with either the tile or the glass... we are gonna make it rasta colors cause his room is bob marley all over the place.. just wonder where i can get red yellow and green tile from.. also.. does anyone know if it would be possible to mix the blacklight paint in with the grout.. he has blacklights all over the room.
Old February 13th, 2009, 02:52 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu1gi View Post
wow thanks for all the suggestions guys.. im probably gonna go with either the tile or the glass... we are gonna make it rasta colors cause his room is bob marley all over the place.. just wonder where i can get red yellow and green tile from.. also.. does anyone know if it would be possible to mix the blacklight paint in with the grout.. he has blacklights all over the room.
it may be better to paint wood the colors you want then put the glass on top, i dont think your gona get the vibrant colors your looking for in tile (could be wrong) but you will find the color you want in paint more easily

-matt
Old February 13th, 2009, 04:18 PM
KarmaHookah
Banned

Glass or Tile for the top. Make it round or square.
Old February 13th, 2009, 04:27 PM
mr2guy
Hookah Nut

I wouldn't go with glass. Putting coals on it for very long could crack it, and the Hot to cold thing might be a problem too. Tile would be perfect for the heat, and i'm sure you could find colored tiles at Home Depot or lowes or some place like that.
Old February 13th, 2009, 04:47 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2guy View Post
I wouldn't go with glass. Putting coals on it for very long could crack it, and the Hot to cold thing might be a problem too. Tile would be perfect for the heat, and i'm sure you could find colored tiles at Home Depot or lowes or some place like that.
i honestly think that if a coal sits on it long enough to crack it your not paying attention, you got crappy glass, or theres other issues at hand
-matt
Old February 13th, 2009, 06:21 PM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle

i'd say granite for the top. it won't burn like glass, and it's flat unlike tile. or just doo a wood top with like a dark finish in case you drop a coal.
Old February 13th, 2009, 10:25 PM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

Quote:
We need something that can withstand the heat of a coal for a good 10 seconds before we get it.. but still be clear and look good when it comes off.
Why do you want to put the coals ON the table?

Old February 13th, 2009, 10:32 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

honestly i would be willing to bet that a piece of sheet glass ("float glass" ) would be fine for that

-matt
Old February 14th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Lu1gi
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglybiker View Post
Why do you want to put the coals ON the table?

I think you misunderstood me.. I meant if we dropped a coal (mya tongs so quite often lol) . . . . With that said.. I think tile would be a great idea... just seems like it would be very expensive and tedious to make.. also it would make it quite heavy.. more feedback on that would be cool ... thanks for all ur help guys.
Old February 14th, 2009, 10:16 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
I think you misunderstood me.. I meant if we dropped a coal (mya tongs so quite often lol) . . . . With that said.. I think tile would be a great idea... just seems like it would be very expensive and tedious to make.. also it would make it quite heavy.. more feedback on that would be cool ... thanks for all ur help guys.
i always liked the mya tongs, i thought they were easier to use than others, given i am used to me weird ones that came with my rig now but i guess its just what you get used to

-matt
Old February 14th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

If you dont want to go with another thing on the table, just use oak wood. I have an oak table and its been spilled on and had coals on it for a good years worth and its awesome, it has this nice aged look to it and i made it myself too

as for a coating....idk, it seems that any paint unless its the High temp paint, would burn and let off nasty smells. I like my finishless table because if i drop a coal on it, its still useable, unlike coals that might drop on plastic or carpet then you have to throw it away because its got chemicals on it.

Last edited by Coldgr33ntea; February 14th, 2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old February 14th, 2009, 03:50 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Traditionally, hookahs belong on the ground.
Old February 14th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

Ive always had this idea of having a table with a large hole in the middle to put a hookah in and then it is more stable and you can set drinks nearby it and stuff.....but idk, never seen one before
Old February 14th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Gift3d
Hookah Nut

Quote:
nice, i'm wearing a bob marley shirt right now

i think it'd be cool to have wood underneath, and do a water-based color stain for the rasta colors on the wood, then put the glass on top. so you can still see the colors and it would be coal safe.

just in case you like the color stain idea, here's a link that might be useful
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/la_fur...274981,00.html
Old February 14th, 2009, 04:52 PM
D-Szlos
Hookah Pro

http://www.berbertrading.com/pd_tayfour_table.cfm

OR
http://www.berbertrading.com/pd_moroccan_tayfour.cfm

I have the larger of the two, its very very elegant, metal, and it matches the hookah. It can withstand heat, sure it gets a little dirty but a little bit of brass polish takes that right off no problem. Seccond plus side is that the table top is very thin and the legs fold up so you can move it out of the way if needed. It was a very good investment IMO.
Old February 14th, 2009, 05:12 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Szlos View Post
http://www.berbertrading.com/pd_tayfour_table.cfm

OR
http://www.berbertrading.com/pd_moroccan_tayfour.cfm

I have the larger of the two, its very very elegant, metal, and it matches the hookah. It can withstand heat, sure it gets a little dirty but a little bit of brass polish takes that right off no problem. Seccond plus side is that the table top is very thin and the legs fold up so you can move it out of the way if needed. It was a very good investment IMO.
those are pretty cool, a little pricey but cool, and IMHO tarnished brass aint bad looking, especially on something like that

-matt
Old February 14th, 2009, 07:42 PM
D-Szlos
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
those are pretty cool, a little pricey but cool, and IMHO tarnished brass aint bad looking, especially on something like that

-matt

Eh, it doesnt look tarnished, the ash from the hookah, and inevitable shisha juice spots makes it look pretty nasty, just wipe down with wet paper towel/rag, brass polish, wipe off, let dry.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook