Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Thinking about trying Hookah..

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 15th, 2009, 02:50 AM
A-Silent-Ninja
Hookah Newbie

Default Thinking about trying Hookah..

How is it? I've heard good things about Hookah and have seen people smoke it whom I wouldn't have imagined would smoke in my life, but they seem to really enjoy it. So I was wondering what should I get to start? Obviously, there's the hookah, coal, tobacco, toothpick, foil, is there anything else needed? Is there any type of hookah I should get? I was looking to get a small one and I've seen some $20-$40 at my local smoke shop, and what's a good flavor to start with? Any tips would be appreciated, thanks.
Old February 15th, 2009, 02:57 AM
GuardianOfFreyj
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to GuardianOfFreyj Send a message via Yahoo to GuardianOfFreyj
Default Re: Thinking about trying Hookah..

The very first thing I would do, personally, would be try it before you buy it. You seem to know some people who smoke, so it would probably be a good idea to ask if you could try it. That way, if you don't like it, you won't spend the money on the hookah and supplies. If this isn't an option, look around your area (or check out the yellow pages, probably be easier to find one) and find a local hookah lounge. That way, you could try it for less than buying all of the supplies. What is your general area of the world? someone here may know a place where you can try it.

Second, and I mean no offense, but everyone here is going to tell you that they like it. How it is varies greatly depending on the quality of 1) your hookah, 2) the shisha, and 3) the coal. Some are better than others.

Third, yes, that is about all you need. If you will be smoking alone, A small one is definitely the way to go. Also, get a one hose hookah, you don't need more than that if you have less than 6 or so people smoking at once.
Old February 15th, 2009, 03:27 AM
Rafi18
Hookah Nut

I'd recomend (if you do actully end up getting you own hookah) that you get Al Fakher golden strawberry (250g) and a Al Fakher mint (50g) pour the mint into the strawberry mix it and let it sit for a day or so..maybe also get some other 50 gram shisha for while you wait
Old February 15th, 2009, 04:13 AM
jayrunner89
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jayrunner89

try a hookah bar with friends first to make sure you like it, then a little maya hookah ro i know some vendors offer starter pack so i would check that out
Old February 15th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Rafi18
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrunner89 View Post
try a hookah bar with friends first to make sure you like it, then a little maya hookah ro i know some vendors offer starter pack so i would check that out
many vendors do offer a starter pack but you can get a lot better quality of hookah/shisha/coals (all the importaint stuff) if you just order normaly

but yeah like said before make sure you do try before you buy
Old February 15th, 2009, 12:07 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Do everything we tell you and you will be set!!
Old February 15th, 2009, 12:56 PM
hookhaham
Banned

Send a message via MSN to hookhaham

i recomend you buy a cheap little pumpkin , any coals and a 50g pack of anything you fancy (double apl was my first)
Old February 15th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

DO NOT buy 250 grams tubs of anything until you know your going to stay with the hobby. Theres no reason to buy anything larger than 50gr samples to find things you like to start with. Read the reviews section for tobacco brands and flavor suggestions and then the vendors review section to find out who has what your looking for with the service you want and prices/specials to seal the deal. Do not buy just because anyone tells you that you need this or that from only this vendor. And no matter what anyone tells you there is not one person here who can tell you what your tastes are. Sample, learn and enjoy. I would suggest looking over the vendors for "small" starter packages that do not require you to make a big investment. And this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_BCJ...e=channel_page

Really any of Sambookas videos. And as always, your here to enjoy yourself and learn. So ask away when you have questions.
Old February 15th, 2009, 02:39 PM
h0lic
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to h0lic Send a message via Yahoo to h0lic

get a starter pack, follow the instructions, sit back and enjoy the ride!
Old February 15th, 2009, 02:43 PM
oramac
Hookah Nut

Yea, like everyone is saying. After you find out whether or not you like it, search around the online vendors that are here. They all offer packages that are greater than what your local shops will probably be able to get you. Most of the vendors here all give away some coals and tobacco with your hookah purchase, that would be the best way to go.
Old February 15th, 2009, 02:45 PM
albatROSS
Hookah Newbie

I first tried hookah at a lounge and it is probably the way to go to start off, even though potentially expensive. Try it there and see if you enjoy it. Then you can decide how much smoking hookah is worth to you. I personally smoke every day or every other day, so I put time, effort and money into my awesomely-bad habit. If you do like it, then you should look into buying a quality hookah. You get what you pay for and from there you can look into buying 50g packs of hookah, or if you are lucky 25g packs like two stores around where I live. From there experiment and enjoy. Good luck!
Old February 15th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Cj Two A
Hookah Nut

1. Go to a lounge and try it out.
2. Research the various brands of shisha, coals, bowls, and hookahs. If you see a hookah out there that looks interesting to you chances are there is a review or two on it here. Same with shisha and coals. There are a ridiculous number of review posts on this forum that will serve you well to get started.
3. Watch the many many wonderful submitted youtube videos on How-To pack a bowl, prepare your hookah, etc. A well prepared Hookah isn't something you just throw together, and these will show you the best methods to get the job done.(Please don't take that as meaning you shouldn't experiment with your own methods, everyone ends up doing things slightly their own way that serves them best.) I say to look at these videos before you buy because you might decide(although i highly doubt it) that the effort involved isn't worth it(it is). Just want you to be aware of what you are getting in to.
4. Check out the vendor reviews section. Go to a bunch of different vendors linked there, and then figure out which one has the stuff you want at a rate you can afford.
5. Buy a hookah, some coals, an assortment of 50gram packs of shisha(i would recomend from several different brands that way you learn a little about the different cuts). When you're just starting it's probably best not to go buying a super nice bowl, the standard bowls that come with hookahs usually work just fine.
6. Try out your new hookah. Experiment. Have fun. For me part of the enjoyment of the hookah comes from getting everything set up just right, exactly the way you want it.
7. Go to hookahpro.com and post in the review sections your experiences with everything you've tried. If you have questions that weren't answered by your previous research then ask them(use the search button on the top of the page first, almost every question has been asked before).
8. Send a PM to Sambooka thanking him for starting up this great site to answer all your questions and open up the world of hookah to you

Last edited by Cj Two A; February 15th, 2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old February 15th, 2009, 03:45 PM
yeags777
Hookah Pro

why would you think about something so awesome?
________
vaporizer

Last edited by yeags777; February 4th, 2011 at 01:15 AM.
Old February 15th, 2009, 03:46 PM
wonderland
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to wonderland

i would go to a lounge... my first hookah was at a lounge....It def worth trying. Go to the lounge a couple times and figure out what you thinkk you like. Lounge owners tend to be very educated when it comes to hookahs because well its their job lol... welcome to the forum there is a ton of info here.
Old February 15th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Adrian
Hookah Newbie

i agree with everyone here, definately try it out before you go out and buy your own. i was smoking over my friends house until i realized i really wanted to get one so now i'm saving up to get a Bambino =)
Old February 15th, 2009, 06:35 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

Yep like most have mentioned go to your friends or a lounge and smoke before you make the investment, as you might not like it, everyone on here definitly loves it but you do get a few ppl that dont like it
Old February 15th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Buddhizzle
Hookah Pro

Always try first, and when you are buying remember that size doesnt really matter as long as you aren't getting water in the hose/stem. Mostly just go for price and visual appeal for the first hookah - hell, if you dont get something bad -average, you wont enjoy the nice Nour or KM you eventually get
Old February 17th, 2009, 12:12 PM
blowjustinup
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhizzle View Post
hell, if you dont get something bad -average, you wont enjoy the nice Nour or KM you eventually get
I agree with this. I bought a hookah off a friend of a friend my first time smoking hookah which was just a few weeks ago.. He said he was selling it to his friend and I made him a better offer on the spot.

Then he brought a nice 29" KM pear over like a week later.. Can't tell you how jealous I've been.

However, Friday, my 38" double hose double pear comes in with a shitload of shisha and coals!
Old February 17th, 2009, 12:45 PM
ElijahSing
Hookah Newbie

I wouldnt buy any hookah that is new $20 - $40 ... it wouldn't work well at all. my first hookah was something like that, I didn't even like smoking because of it, but then I got my Mya Bambino, and that redeemed itself very fast.
Old February 17th, 2009, 12:46 PM
ElijahSing
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
i agree with everyone here, definately try it out before you go out and buy your own. i was smoking over my friends house until i realized i really wanted to get one so now i'm saving up to get a Bambino =)
Goood, good good investment

I love my Bambino
Old February 17th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Adrian
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahSing View Post
Goood, good good investment

I love my Bambino
I'm ordering it today, not sure whether to go with the Black Base or Blue Base though. any suggestions?
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook