Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Is smoking hookah really smoking?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 14th, 2010, 08:16 PM
dgrouchy
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Is smoking hookah really smoking?

i would like to know how hookah stands up next to cigs in the health dept.
Old June 14th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Str8Rida
Hookah Newbie

tobacco is tobacco...smoking is smoking...hookah is definitely smoking
Old June 14th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Maverik1666
Hookah Nut

It's exactly like vaporizing the tobacco.
Old June 20th, 2010, 02:17 PM
aquafiend12
Hookah Enthusiast

It is a vapor because you are cooking the tobacco and not burning it.. which is why no tar is produced and anyone that says there is more tar then cigarettes is dumb because there is not tar in hookah unless you are smoking it and not cooking it with coals on top of the tin foil.
Old June 20th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafi18 View Post
Ok so these past few days I've been thinking is it really smoking? For me when i think of smoking I think of tobacco burning and creating actual smoke like how a log would in a fireplace. Yes true we do burn our coals but, we only seek the heat of them. Unless you soak them in gasoline or butane they're not really going to have smoke coming from them, or do we just suck it in through the bowl instead of it rising? When I think of "smoking" hookah I kinda just relate it to roasting... You want to heat it so the natural juices and marinade to heat up and cook the meat that way, not have it fire grilled and partly burnt. When you smoke hookah you kinda just want it to roast and sizzle... vaporize it if you will...

So are we actually smokers or are we vaporizers or are we roasters?

yeah. just something to think about...
It's complicated. When one smokes moassel or faux/neo-moassel you should be vaporizing the liquid content of the product when you smoke. Since the leaves are not actually combusted the content of the smoke is primarily water vapour and not really like cigarette smoke at all. If on the other hand you smoke tombac (and by that I do not mean black style moassel) you are in fact burning the leaves. Jurak is a little more complicated since what the term means and how it's smoked varies a lot, still, more often then not the smoke produced is chemically more akin to moassel smoke then anything else.
Old June 20th, 2010, 03:05 PM
joser81
Hookah Nut

I dont know, I dont buy the whole "its cooking" the tobacco and not "burning" it. I can sort of see why some say that but the coals do create alot of heat and once you clean off your bowl, the tobacco is pretty dry and "burnt" up. Yes, its not like taking a match or lighter directly to the tobacco,but I think its naive to completely disregard it as smoking...or for that matter not having any effects as with regular cigs etc...
Old June 20th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8Rida View Post
tobacco is tobacco...smoking is smoking...hookah is definitely smoking
No, what exactly you smoke and how you smoke it radically changes the nature of the pastime.
Old June 20th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by joser81 View Post
I dont know, I dont buy the whole "its cooking" the tobacco and not "burning" it. I can sort of see why some say that but the coals do create alot of heat and once you clean off your bowl, the tobacco is pretty dry and "burnt" up. Yes, its not like taking a match or lighter directly to the tobacco,but I think its naive to completely disregard it as smoking...or for that matter not having any effects as with regular cigs etc...
When something is burnt it turns to ash and when I am done smoking moassel I never have ash in my bowl. What is left on the top is dried out and hard while what is blow the top layer is something more akin to a bit of treacle mixed in with a bunch of solids. If you end with ash you aren't smoking it properly.

As to cigarettes the truth is that the threats are wildly exaggerated and most of the research on the matter is so openly biased and poorly constructed it doesn't deserve to be called science. Obviously cigarettes do carry a substantial risk factor that I am not willing to risk but to assume that moassel smoking is comparable is simply wrong.
Old June 20th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrouchy View Post
i would like to know how hookah stands up next to cigs in the health dept.
I've posted a lot on that subject and the matter of what is wrong with anti-tobacco research as well. Take a look at the material when you get a couple of free hours.
Old June 20th, 2010, 03:26 PM
joser81
Hookah Nut

so than most of you would have no problem switching to "smoking" something other than tobacco as long as it tasted good and produced "good clouds"?
Old June 20th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Clouds are a product of drowning your moassel in glycerin which leaves a nasty film in your mouth. I don't care about clouds and the glycerin heavy products like Fantasia/360/SB/Hookah-Fina/Inhale/SS etc are very unappealing to me. I like quality tobacco with or without complimentary flavours because I like the taste and textures that the leaf alone can provide. Most people here differ in that that they are perfectly happy to smoke stuff that tastes like fruit by foot, energy drinks, yuppie drinks or candy so am sure that most would have no problem something that had no tobacco in it if it tasted like SB or something equally replant to me.
Old June 20th, 2010, 06:09 PM
sebal
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookah-happy View Post
I dont think its vaporizing. Tobacco does not produce smoke when it is vaporized.
the tobacco only give's out the buzz the vapor comes from the honey and/or molasses that is mixed in the tobacco to give it some fruity flavors. unless you do it old school and put the coals directly on the tobacco with out any screens then you'll produce smoke due to the burning of tobacco.
Old June 20th, 2010, 06:55 PM
robertjrn
Hookah Nut

it is without a doubt smoking, this is brought up alot, when the tobacco burns smoke is made ... END OF
Old June 20th, 2010, 10:36 PM
slasher126
Hookah Nut

"hey guys you wanna vaporize some shisha with me in my new KM"
"yeah dude sounds great"
Old June 20th, 2010, 10:45 PM
SavageBeast
Hookah Pro

I think you might of had something else in that bowl to be pondering so much...haha but I believe in essence its all really the same, the shisha burns and we inhale the smoke, what you want to call it is really up to you. I wouldn't say however, that we truly vaporize it because there's been plenty of times when I see smoke seep out of my bowl without provoking it whats so ever.
Old June 20th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageBeast View Post
I think you might of had something else in that bowl to be pondering so much...haha but I believe in essence its all really the same, the shisha burns and we inhale the smoke, what you want to call it is really up to you. I wouldn't say however, that we truly vaporize it because there's been plenty of times when I see smoke seep out of my bowl without provoking it whats so ever.
Uh no. You see first of all the stuff you put in a water pipe and consume is most commonly moassel and shisha is the Egyptian term for the device you use to smoke the moassel. Assuming that you aren't doing something very wrong the moassel is heated to such an extent that it's liquid content is vapourized and the tobacco is not combusted. In short the smoke that comes out of a narghile (i.e. a water pipe) used to smoke moassel (ex. the stuff you put in a bowl) is not at all the same as the smoke that is produced burning solids.
Old June 20th, 2010, 11:40 PM
SoWz
Hookah Pro

Smoking hookah is NOT the same as smoking a cigarette. The temperature at which the tobacco burns is totally different.
Old June 21st, 2010, 01:05 PM
bhargavz
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to bhargavz

this thread is unbelievable!! the lengths some people will go, to justify that their hookah addiction is not harmful.....
consuming tobacco in hookahs is SMOKING
It is harmful to your lungs and what not....
Old June 21st, 2010, 01:43 PM
JediSpam
Hookah Aficionado

pretty much yep
Old June 21st, 2010, 03:52 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhargavz View Post
this thread is unbelievable!! the lengths some people will go, to justify that their hookah addiction is not harmful.....
consuming tobacco in hookahs is SMOKING
It is harmful to your lungs and what not....
What is amazing is the abysmal ignorance of posters like yourself that simply don't have a clue about how water pipes works and the composition of the emissions that come from them. Even more amazing is that people like you proudly broadcast the extent of their ignorance and are totally impervious to reason and fact while feeling the need to exclaim such absurd and baseless opinions on a forum dedicated narghile use.
Old June 21st, 2010, 04:19 PM
tapatio10floz
Hookah Nut

as far as I know I'm pretty sure I'm creating smoke with tobacco therefore I'm smoking
Old June 22nd, 2010, 11:54 AM
bhargavz
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to bhargavz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
What is amazing is the abysmal ignorance of posters like yourself that simply don't have a clue about how water pipes works and the composition of the emissions that come from them. Even more amazing is that people like you proudly broadcast the extent of their ignorance and are totally impervious to reason and fact while feeling the need to exclaim such absurd and baseless opinions on a forum dedicated narghile use.
buddy, u may be the walking encyclopedia for water pipes....but using a hookah is called as *SMOKING* it..... i have seen my dad and grandpa *smoke* it since the last 22 years.... they and their friends.... in fact everyone i know who uses water pipes refers it as smoking the "tambaku" (tobacco)....
u may have traveled the world and found out hundreds of little intricate things about water pipes but the fact remains that guys like you manipulate things to suit your own needs.....
Old June 22nd, 2010, 10:59 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Yes the emissions produced by a water pipe is smoke and the process of using such a pipe can be accurately called smoking as a result. However, the reality is that when one smokes moassel it is not burned/combusted and as a result the main constituent element of the smoke is in fact water vapour. Hence, smoking moassel (which is what 95%+ of the people here use a water pipe for exclusively) is not at all the same as smoking cigarettes.

No matter how long you've been around narghiles that basic fact has escaped you. If you want to actually know something about the issue you should read: http://www.velvetgloveironfist.com/k..._interview.php After you've learned a bit about how indirect heat works with a narghile i'll be willing to pursue the matter of relative harms of various forms of tobacco consumption with you. Until that happens perusing the matter further is a waste of my time.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 11:43 PM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

The problem here is how you define smoking. If it's inhaling any kind of smoke or vapor through a cigarette/cigar or pipe, then obviously hookah smoking is indeed smoking.

If you define it as burning something and then inhaling it into your lungs, then no, it's not smoking. The tobacco is not actually burnt but baked, as you can tell by the fact that after a smoke session your tobacco has turned black and is all dried out, like something you've left in the oven too long. If you held a butane torch to the hookah tobacco too long, then you'd see that it looks different when it's actually burnt with an open flame.

However, whether smoking hookah is really "smoking" or not, it's never healthy to inhale any kind of tainted fumes, vapors, gases, etc. into your lungs. Smog, Gasoline vapor, Chemical vapor, cigarette smoke, coal dust, hookah smoke, etc. are all unhealthy, just some aren't as bad as the other ones.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 01:09 AM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSebsch View Post
The problem here is how you define smoking. If it's inhaling any kind of smoke or vapor through a cigarette/cigar or pipe, then obviously hookah smoking is indeed smoking.

If you define it as burning something and then inhaling it into your lungs, then no, it's not smoking. The tobacco is not actually burnt but baked, as you can tell by the fact that after a smoke session your tobacco has turned black and is all dried out, like something you've left in the oven too long. If you held a butane torch to the hookah tobacco too long, then you'd see that it looks different when it's actually burnt with an open flame.

However, whether smoking hookah is really "smoking" or not, it's never healthy to inhale any kind of tainted fumes, vapors, gases, etc. into your lungs. Smog, Gasoline vapor, Chemical vapor, cigarette smoke, coal dust, hookah smoke, etc. are all unhealthy, just some aren't as bad as the other ones.
Very well said.

I'd wonder if hookah is really any worst than the air in Phoenix.

Darth Coyote, Executor of EGOB and the Black Leaf Brotherhood.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook