Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Bought and smoked my first hookah today.....

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 16th, 2009, 03:21 AM
A-Silent-Ninja
Hookah Newbie

Default Bought and smoked my first hookah today.....

And it was a great experience. I was with my friend and we smoked some mixed berry shisha. I bought my hookah at a local smoke shop for $29.99, charcoal for $1.59 and the tobacco for $3.50. Questions about it though, when you smoke hookah, is the flavor suppose to last in your mouth? I found it lasting only while I was taking a hit, it's not like a cigarette where it lasts and gives your mouth a bad taste. As I was taking a hit, I felt the flavor in my mouth, but after blowing out the smoke, it was gone. Also, do smoke shops sell the little balls that cover up the holes where you put in your hoses? Mine has 3 holes and I might smoke with just another person instead with two other people so it'd be a pain to insert an extra hose for no reason. If they do, are they universal or do they depend on your hookah? Here's a picture of my hookah. Also what are some good flavors that may get others into hookah? Thanks!

Old February 16th, 2009, 04:08 AM
ThEDrEaMEnDeR
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Bought and smoked my first hookah today.....

um really their just ball bearings from m experience it works better to take them out and just plug the holes and as far as i know the flavor isint suppose to last like it will a cig. now i have a question for you what kind of shisha is it and what kind of coals r u using. i am also glad you didint spend to much on an overpriced chinies hookah like i did when i first started big mastake
Old February 16th, 2009, 04:19 AM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

Some flavours do last in your mouth, in particular i found AF and starbuzz ones stay in my mouth and i can taste it after i've taken the hit espically blue mist for some reason.

Just get stoppers instead of using ball bearings it works better
Old February 16th, 2009, 04:23 AM
hookhaham
Banned

Send a message via MSN to hookhaham

seal up the holes with something , a stopper from a hardware store
Old February 16th, 2009, 04:26 AM
A-Silent-Ninja
Hookah Newbie

Where do they sell hookah stoppers? Can you find them at the smoke shop and are they universal or do they only work for certain kinds of hookahs depending on the size? The smoke shop I went to had a weird selection of things, I don't think they were from major brands, probably from cheap places in another country. I don't think the charcoal has a brand, it just says "Charcoal for Hookah" and it's in a red and black little bag with about 6 charcoals in them. The shisha is "Jewels" mixed berries flavored, and says "Molasses Tobacco" on it.
Old February 16th, 2009, 04:38 AM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

your looking for this

http://www.hookah-shisha.com/store/p...&idproduct=532

I believe it is universal
Old February 16th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Buddhizzle
Hookah Pro

Congrats, my friend. I have the same hookah in a one hose model, so PM me if you have any questions on it. It is generally reliable, although has a tendency to rust if you aren't careful.
Old February 16th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Adrian
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelbadboy2006 View Post
Some flavours do last in your mouth, in particular i found AF and starbuzz ones stay in my mouth and i can taste it after i've taken the hit espically blue mist for some reason.
i agree, after smoking a session of AF Mint it feels like i just ate a Halls of something like that. Haven't smoked AF Mint so i might be a little off with the description though, but i do recall it lasting in my mouth
Old February 16th, 2009, 02:30 PM
h0lic
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to h0lic Send a message via Yahoo to h0lic

Some last, some don't. Some do and you won't notice.
Old February 24th, 2009, 12:58 AM
MikeMo
Hookah Nut

nice good for you for buying it and try new coals
Old February 24th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Rider
Hookah Newbie

My friend has the same thing, pumpkin and that light up stem thing. It got rusted real quick, so take REALLL good care of it.. smoking out of a rusted set is not fun.
Old February 24th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Ninorey123
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Ninorey123

rusted? you just got it im guessing thats just shisha juice that dripped down your downstem. i mean rust will come after a few months lol but not so quick
Old February 24th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Buddhizzle
Hookah Pro

My pumpkin rusted up after a few monthes, sadly. I can keep it smokable though, at least until I get a new rig.
Old February 24th, 2009, 08:39 AM
hookah-happy
Hookah Nut

Jewels is gross. When I started hookah I bought a lot of Al-Waha, it's very cheap (less than $2 for 50 grams at my local shop) and they have some really great flavors. Mint, orange cream, after nine, and guava are my favorites. I'm sure like eight million people here are going to tell you to smoke nothing but nakhla, but if you're not already a smoker the buzz that comes with it will probably turn you off to hookah. I want to warn you about starbuzz, it has some nice flavors but it is not worth the price at all.

If you decide that you really like hookah you should think about upgrading your pipe when you have some extra cash. The three big brand names in hookah are khalil mamoon, nour, and mya. I think it's just a matter of preference between the three, but I am under the opinion that mya's are overpriced. hookah-shisha.com also has some nice egyptian and syrian hookahs. I've also heard good things about magdy zidan. The hookah you have now will probably only last 3-5 months so you have some time to read and decide what you like.

I would switch to natural coal. I use exoticas, they're cheap and pretty good. coconaras and ************* coals are good, but pretty expensive. I don't like lemon wood coals. Some other people do though. Give them a try, it's like $5 for a 2
lb bag I think.

Some flavors linger, but they're not at all like cigarettes. Your hookah probably already has bearings so the other ports don't need to be plugged. If they do, just put a piece of duct tape over them.

Hope you enjoy your purchase and welcome to hookahpro.

Last edited by hookah-happy; February 24th, 2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old February 24th, 2009, 08:42 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

yay more hookah people.

naw the flavors dont stick like cigs, thats whats great about hookah, you dont stick after, you can smoke inside and the is minimal to no residual smells and most of them go away pretty fast if they stick.

i would suggest getting to better coals and tobacco, jewels is kinda bad over all the double apple flavor i had tasted fine but was wayyyy to much juice. things like nakhla, Al Fakher, Starbuzz, al waha are much better brands and will give you better flavors for the most part. as to coals at least try and get some god quality Quick lights such as 3 kings or goldens, natural coals are much better but at first you may not be able to tell the difference, but once you start to use natural coals for a while and try to go back to QLs you will taste a huge difference. as to the brands of naturals, i like coco style coals like coconaras and johns CH coals, coconaras are more expensive but last longer a bit, but johns coals are so cheap in comparison i dont mind. exoticas are cheaper but i dont like them, they (at least used to) break apart some, ash a whole lot, and leave a smell after lighting in my apartment, plus you have to cut them up (some see it as a pro some see it as a con). but 8 bucks for 75-100 coals of exoticas 14 for 84 of cocos, and 14 for 132 of CH coals.

-matt

Last edited by mattathayde; February 24th, 2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old February 24th, 2009, 10:11 AM
wonderland
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to wonderland

congrats on the new rig... i agree with what is said...

-clean the hookah
-get a better quality tobacco (nakhla, AF, SB etc)
-use better quality coals (either QL or Nats)

Def grab a rubber stopper for when others are not smoking unless it has an autoseal.
Old February 24th, 2009, 12:22 PM
medicare
Hookah Nut

Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas for school. Little Rock, Arkansas during the summer time

Congrats, nice little first hookah. If you can try some CoCo Nara natural coals they are great you can get a small pack (16pieces) to make sure you like 'em. I enjoy them very much. Also try some Romman shisha it's good for starting out. good amount of flavor, long burn session
Old February 25th, 2009, 10:05 AM
hellas325
Hookah Nut

I recommend some al fakher, starbuzz, and havana tobacco.
Old February 25th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Rider
Hookah Newbie

Haha, I just smoked out of my first hookah too! Got my shipment from ********** yesterday. my QT
Old February 25th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Buddhizzle
Hookah Pro

starbuzz is great to try - and hook yourself up with a phunnel or vortex bowl at somepoint, you'll know why when you smoke it!
Old February 25th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Rider
Hookah Newbie

Haha, I have a small phunnel. SB is a bit pricey, but i have heard that blue mist was REALLY good. I smoked AF Vanilla today, without scalli (because I dont have one) and i didnt even go through the whole bowl
Old February 25th, 2009, 10:14 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhizzle View Post
starbuzz is great to try - and hook yourself up with a phunnel or vortex bowl at somepoint, you'll know why when you smoke it!
eh, never used a vortex but IMHO unless you plan to smoke with people or want to smoke the same flavor for 2 hours the phunnel (even a small) is kind of a waste, its great for tangiers (if you pack it looser than is recommended, kinda fluffed to the rim then pushed down about 1/8th-1/4 to the level of the center hole and the normal poke holes to the bottom you get great flavor still but it will last about 2 hours with little waste). for anything else i prefer a standard type bowl (specifically a mod bowl)

-matt
Old February 25th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Buddhizzle
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookahrider View Post
Haha, I have a small phunnel. SB is a bit pricey, but i have heard that blue mist was REALLY good. I smoked AF Vanilla today, without scalli (because I dont have one) and i didnt even go through the whole bowl
yeah, pack the bowls light, you'll never finish a phunnel or vortex by yourself. ever.

Blue mist is, in fact, fantastic too.
Old February 26th, 2009, 01:51 AM
Rider
Hookah Newbie

Oh, I smoke with my brother. I probably wont be smoking alone ever.. I think I just need a reusable scalli and I should be good to go.
Old February 26th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Renz
Hookah Newbie

clog up your holes
and i remember my first
hookah purchase and smoke
session
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook