Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

I feel like a newb - discussing grommets and water

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 15th, 2009, 01:04 AM
HookahBooka
Hookah Newbie

Default I feel like a newb - discussing grommets and water

So i just dont get where to put grommets. Im waiting for my hookah and im like panicking cause i dont get where to put the grommets, and i dont know where to fill up the water. Like if the bowl is a solid color how are you suppose to see if the waters right? Help me with grommets and water!
Old April 15th, 2009, 01:09 AM
ThEDrEaMEnDeR
Hookah Pro

Default Re: I feel like a newb - discussing grommets and water

okay the big grommet goes on the the part right before the down stem the small one is for your hose and there will be another for the bowl and you fill the base with water up to a half inch over the bottom of the down stem
Old April 15th, 2009, 02:24 AM
FirePro84
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to FirePro84 Send a message via MSN to FirePro84 Send a message via Yahoo to FirePro84

what kind of hookah are you getting? *all the grommets usually come in place where they're supposed to go when you get a new one. there should be 3 for a 1 hose hookah, one for the downstem (largest), one for the bowl (middle), and one for the hose (smallest).

as for the water level, the stem usually comes off of the vase so you can fill it with water, so you dont need to worry about trying to fill it from the top of the stem where the bowl goes.

the water level, like mentioned above, should be about 1" - 1.5" above where the stem sits in the vase...i've had it higher than that and it works fine too, but you risk getting water in the hose depending on the hookah design and just how high your water level is.
Old April 15th, 2009, 02:25 AM
DevilHookah
Hookah Newbie

Location: Currently located on an island off the coast of North Carolina will be moving back to Georgia soon
Send a message via AIM to DevilHookah Send a message via MSN to DevilHookah Send a message via Yahoo to DevilHookah

Most websites where you order a hookah come with a howto and setup guide for basic assembly. As far as water levels, 1-2" deep in the water, Can't see it? put some tape at your chosen depth (1-2 inches) fully insert the stem onto the base, pull it back out and gradually check the level. Most hookahs, no matter how dark, you can still see the water level slightly.
Old April 15th, 2009, 03:04 AM
chrisicool
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookahBooka View Post
So i just dont get where to put grommets. Im waiting for my hookah and im like panicking cause i dont get where to put the grommets, and i dont know where to fill up the water. Like if the bowl is a solid color how are you suppose to see if the waters right? Help me with grommets and water!
Well let's answer some questions. Grommets are rubber fittings that goes over the stem top, and inside the hose adaptor(the metal piece on the side of the stem that's hollow). The bowl sits ontop of the hookah, on the stem, over the rubber bowl grommet.

As for the water in the base. It all depends on the length of your stem and how deep your base is. Generally you want about 1 and a 1/2 inches or a little less of your stem completely submerged in water. You just have to sort of eyeball it with your hookah. A lot of the times like on KMs and Syrians they'll have a little paint line where you can see where the water will fill up to on the base.

Stem in base, about 1 inch into the water, ash tray ontop of stem, bowl ontop of ashtray over stem via bowl grommet. Coals ontop of bowl. Hose into hose adaptor via grommet, or without grommet if it's a large hose. suck on hose, smoke goes down stem, into water, then up through hose adaptor into mouth. mmm delicious smoke, into lungs. ahhh yeah baby, that's how you hookah.

-Barry W.

Last edited by chrisicool; April 15th, 2009 at 03:07 AM.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook