Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Using a dermal to cut your coals

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 9th, 2009, 10:00 PM
phatpride1
Hookah Pro

Default Using a dermal to cut your coals

If you use stick coals you know its sometimes a pain to score them every time so i been using my dremal. One problem is that is spits out all this coal dust and if your close enough your snot will turn black haha . Word of advise dont cut them so close to your face or you will wake up like WTF black snot when you blow your nose. And that can't be to healthy. But im not going to lie its so much easier to do then using a knife.

Last edited by phatpride1; June 9th, 2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old June 9th, 2009, 10:15 PM
1lowtoy
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to 1lowtoy Send a message via Yahoo to 1lowtoy
Default Re: Using a dermal to cut your coals

Ya that sounds like a really bad idea but faster. I just use a serriated knife score 3 sides and brake them off. typicall brake pretty straight. I forget what its called but coal miners get a condition from exposure to coal dust so be careful how much you do that. Not that your exposure would be any thing close but cant be good.
Old June 9th, 2009, 10:20 PM
sexyghost
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to sexyghost Send a message via MSN to sexyghost

I used exotica for a long time and never really bothered finding other ways to breaking them. I use coco nara's now so I don't have to worry about it now.

I agree blowing the nose and black stuff coming out cant be fun hehe
Old June 9th, 2009, 10:52 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

For the love of life and wellness wear a freaking respirator! Or at least a medical mask.
You do know about the condition called miners lung right? Coal lung? Black lung? Inhaling carbon particles is very bad for you. And yes I know coal and charcoal are fundamentally different but it's still extremely bad for you.

Also... Dremel?
Old June 9th, 2009, 11:17 PM
phatpride1
Hookah Pro

yeah i wear a bandanna now, but its so easy to cut exoticas 4 sticks at a time lol, im just telling people that it might be dangerous.
Old June 9th, 2009, 11:39 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatpride1 View Post
yeah i wear a bandanna now, but its so easy to cut exoticas 4 sticks at a time lol, im just telling people that it might be dangerous.
I work with a lot of unpleasant particulate matter any I can tell you that a bandanna is not going to do a good job. unless you are pursing you lips against the fabric and not breathing through your nose i suggest picking up a cheap filter mask at a hardware store. Even a pack of basic medical masks will offer some protection. Also eye protection. A scratched cornea is no laughing matter.
Old June 9th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Shienhausser
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Shienhausser

I love my dremel but safety first, ALWAYS.
Old June 10th, 2009, 12:19 AM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to faeriekitsune

I can't attest to using a Dremel on coals, but when polishing metals with a rotary polisher and rouge, it gets everywhere. Your snot, spit, ears, hair, face, and clothing will turn blood red. Hence: WEAR SAFETY GEAR. Goggles and a facemask at least. Doesn't really help with the ears, hair, or clothes though. Bandanas help.. Covering your hair and ears.

This is what happens when you don't wear saftey gear, kids:

(Btw, no my hair is not actually red in front. I was digging this stuff out of my ears for three days. And this is why you should not wait to polish all your metalwork pieces the night before they're due. I spent eight hours in front of this thing... You can see where teh saftey glasses were.)
Attached Thumbnails
Jan 29 08 064.jpg  
Old June 10th, 2009, 01:09 AM
ChronicHookah
Banned

ok, my 2cents, you can break an exotica in half before you light it, just break it against some thing hard, use both hands, one on each side, against a counter top or some other hard corner, it's not that hard, just use a little force and snap it. then light on half and you can tap it with tongs to make it break easy. i still don't understand why people "score" these things, they are so easy to work with, just break them raw in half or light them and tap them, please advise if i am missing something
Old June 10th, 2009, 12:53 PM
slick_johnson
Hookah Pro

I just use a wide flathead screwdriver and a hammer on my finger coals and get pretty clean breaks.
Old June 10th, 2009, 01:15 PM
JuneTuiasosopo
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
...i still don't understand why people "score" these things, they are so easy to work with, just break them raw in half or light them and tap them, please advise if i am missing something.
Well when I use to mess with Exoticas I'd always want close to exact even pieces... don't really know why - i just liked them even... but then along came coconara's and then i moved out the dorms and could finally order your CH quiklites
Old June 10th, 2009, 04:50 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowtoy View Post
Ya that sounds like a really bad idea but faster. I just use a serriated knife score 3 sides and brake them off. typicall brake pretty straight. I forget what its called but coal miners get a condition from exposure to coal dust so be careful how much you do that. Not that your exposure would be any thing close but cant be good.
coal and charcoal are different though, while im not saying charcoal is good for you or wont hurt you, i saw a thing on dirty jobs where a guys dad had worked doing charcoal production and mike was asking the guy who took over about black lung or what ever and the guys dad had perfectly clean lungs, idk how it worked out but what ever.

dremil just sounds like over complication, a band saw i can understand since you can cut the whole box at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeriekitsune View Post
I can't attest to using a Dremel on coals, but when polishing metals with a rotary polisher and rouge, it gets everywhere. Your snot, spit, ears, hair, face, and clothing will turn blood red. Hence: WEAR SAFETY GEAR. Goggles and a facemask at least. Doesn't really help with the ears, hair, or clothes though. Bandanas help.. Covering your hair and ears.

This is what happens when you don't wear saftey gear, kids:

(Btw, no my hair is not actually red in front. I was digging this stuff out of my ears for three days. And this is why you should not wait to polish all your metalwork pieces the night before they're due. I spent eight hours in front of this thing... You can see where teh saftey glasses were.)
you used a bit to much rouge there (hmm didnt mean that to be a pun towards makeup but i guess it works that way too lol)

when ever i polish stuff at school i wear a face shield and respirator, it also helps that we have great ventilation

-matt
Old June 10th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Cj Two A
Hookah Nut

I buy like six boxes of exoticas at a time and take the half hour it takes to score them all deeply with a cheap throwaway box cutter blade. then i break them all on a flat sharp edge counter into the sink basin. you just have to make sure you score them deeply enough, and i only score 1 side.. I use old exotica boxes to hold all the coals cause then dont condense easily once broken.
Old June 10th, 2009, 07:46 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj Two A View Post
I buy like six boxes of exoticas at a time and take the half hour it takes to score them all deeply with a cheap throwaway box cutter blade. then i break them all on a flat sharp edge counter into the sink basin. you just have to make sure you score them deeply enough, and i only score 1 side.. I use old exotica boxes to hold all the coals cause then dont condense easily once broken.
maybe i was just OCD but i just lined them back up and put them back into the box i had, packed up really nice

-matt
Old June 10th, 2009, 09:05 PM
jpos832
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowtoy View Post
its called 'black lung' or Coalworker's pneumoconiosis and is caused by long exposure to coal dust. i doubt the brief exposure you'd have caused by cutting up finger coals would do much damage, although i wouldnt recommend breathing in the black dust. using a dremel seems like a lot of effort to me.. i find scoring 3 sides and snapping em in my hands as demonstrated in sambooka's video to be very effective. i also tend to break up alot of sticks at once to minimize the mess cleanup.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook