Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Vortex and Small Phunnel--Is There any difference

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 12th, 2009, 12:10 AM
jacob92j
Hookah Nut

Default Vortex and Small Phunnel--Is There any difference

I'm interested in buying a small phunnel bowl, but someone i smoke with 90 percent of the time has a vortex bowl. Should i buy the phunnel bowl, is there any difference?
Old June 12th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Trivial
Banned

Default Re: Vortex and Small Phunnel--Is There any difference

Get the small phunnel bowl.. better airflow
Old June 12th, 2009, 01:25 AM
lilbrummy87
Hookah Nut

I am wondering the same thing.
Old June 12th, 2009, 01:45 AM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Good airflow if the foil is tight enough or you mod it. Larger capacity which can be good and bad. The funnel is shallower and wider which can be good with some tobacco to cook it more evenly rather than not getting to the tobacco at the bottom as can sometimes be the case with the vortex. Not much else that i have noticed between the ones i have.
Old June 12th, 2009, 02:57 AM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
Good airflow if the foil is tight enough or you mod it. Larger capacity which can be good and bad. The funnel is shallower and wider which can be good with some tobacco to cook it more evenly rather than not getting to the tobacco at the bottom as can sometimes be the case with the vortex. Not much else that i have noticed between the ones i have.
I don't have a funnel, but I'm going to echo these sentiments on the vortex. I don't like it and highly prefer my standard Egyptian bowls. The shisha just doesn't heat evenly and I don't see how it could unless you stirred it up every once in a while.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy having it, but with all the hype around here for the small funnel bowl I would definitely choose the funnel.

Edit: Oh and I also believe that a well engineered vortex would beat any funnel bowl, the problem is it isn't shallow enough by a long shot.
Old June 12th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Dakins
Hookah Pro

Small phunnel ftw. The depth of the bowl is perfect compared to the vortex, which I find to be a shisha waster. Lots of unused shisha at the bottom at the end of a session. I wish I knew how to mod it with clay to create some kind of donut shape I could put at the bottom of the vortex to raise the shisha and use less of it. The Vortex is not bad by any means, but it can certainly be improved.

The (Tangiers) phunnel, with its proprietary ceramic compound, tends to cook the shisha more evenly and maintain constant heat more easily. That means less burned shisha and harsh smoke. The airflow is also perfect IMO. Just don't reuse the foil or it'll get loose and stick to the hole, blocking most of the airflow.

tl;dr phunnel destroys vortex

I see some people doing a traditional hole pattern, like they would with an egyptian bowl, or some who poke a giant hole right above the phunnel's spire.... they are doing it wrong. This is how most people do it (it's a little chaotic but I was in a hurry):

Last edited by Dakins; June 12th, 2009 at 05:56 AM.
Old June 12th, 2009, 10:18 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

i think there are issues with both of them. i havent gotten to try the vortex yet but i plan to pick one up for s's and g's at the end of summer. i think the phunnel is really only good for tangiers or if you have a bunch of people and dont want to have to repack but dont mind loss of flavor some what half way through. i think the small phunnels are too deep too, should be 2/3- even 1/2 the depth

from what ive heard the vortex seems to bake the tobacco more evenly but i dont know for sure

-matt
Old June 12th, 2009, 10:21 AM
phatpride1
Hookah Pro

i like my phunnel for long smokes, try to get the most out of it
Old June 12th, 2009, 02:28 PM
jacob92j
Hookah Nut

thanks alot guys i think im gonna purchase some tangiers along with a small phunnel bowl
Old June 12th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Trivial
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
i think there are issues with both of them. i havent gotten to try the vortex yet but i plan to pick one up for s's and g's at the end of summer. i think the phunnel is really only good for tangiers or if you have a bunch of people and dont want to have to repack but dont mind loss of flavor some what half way through. i think the small phunnels are too deep too, should be 2/3- even 1/2 the depth

from what ive heard the vortex seems to bake the tobacco more evenly but i dont know for sure

-matt
if you want a less deep phunnel get a caravan.... I have one and a deeper phunnel like tangiers is much better
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook